Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Metapod posted:

9 times all very soft holds too

Jesus Christ. And then he drops a pass after it's been pouring all game and the camera shows his face agonizing over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

the last like 12 titans offensive coordinators have all shared the same weird delusion wherein they don't realize deep dropback passes only function if the opposing defense has been clobbered and put back on their heels by a powerful running game

you see em continuing to call 7 step drops even when they're averaging 1.9 yards per carry on the ground or somesuch
this is one big reason why mariota is dead
(mariota+ the receivers struggle with the quick passing game even when it is called for, so it is hardly the team's only woe, but still)

lots of OCs have this problem but it's weird that it's always a titan thing

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 20, 2019

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTxHuUGG_2c

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

As a lifelong Houstonian -

Sour Diesel posted:

lol gently caress the oilers

gently caress bud adams too

hope his greedy rear end is rotting in some dungeon in hell

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 20, 2019

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
(Don't) Remember The Titans

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I hate being a titans fan

Its the goddamn worst

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfi2ts2s7dc

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Imagine being mad about something over 20 years ago

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

maybe they should change their name once again to get into another superbowl

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Metapod posted:

Imagine being mad about something over 20 years ago

Don't you have strong opinions about General Lee?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Don't you have strong opinions about General Lee?

What?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The Titans are the blandest team in the league. The biege of football.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol Titans always pretending they aren't terrible and don't have a bad qb

lol

just lol

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
It is funny this melt is happening over a tnf game

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
This still might be a playoff team, is the thing, the AFC is that bad. But I just had to get the past two years of frustration out of my system.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 20, 2019

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Metapod posted:

It is funny this melt is happening over a tnf game

turn on your monitor

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Probably Magic posted:

They're not even the worst, is the Titans' thing, the entire summation of the Titans' thing, there's always someone shittier, sadder, more pathetic, which makes it even harder to embrace the nihilism of being a Browns fan or whatever, but you just have to rely on mediocrity year after year, like Mister 8-8 Jeff Fisher or this current mediocrity where the team goes through an offensive coordinator every season, leading to you finding yourself deluding yourself into thinking Vince Young is good or Marcus Mariota or you just have look on lifelessly at Jake Locker or Ryan Fitzpatrick or some poo poo knowing it's not the worst, it's not even funny or apocalyptic or truly pathetic, it's just the same ol' crap, to the point where it's not even exclusive, the Bucs do the same thing, but the Bucs did a championship once while the Titans will always, always, always, always, always be that team that fell short in 1999 and deprive Houston of a cooler football name or what the gently caress ever as if it matters because the Texans, Jags, and the Colts second iteration when it moves to London, the Monarchs, will all have championships before Tennessee does, gently caress this team.

They're a decent team that desperately needs a new quarterback and an upgrade or two on the offensive line. The receivers tend to be vaguely disappointing as well, but it's hard to tell how much of that is them and how much is Marcus.

They need to aggressively seek a new quarterback in the offseason if they want to take proper advantage of the talent they have on rookie contracts. Looks like quarterbacks might be slim on the ground pretty soon, but hell I'd be fine with them starting Tanny after that performance. That was a bench-worthy performance from Marcus Mariota.

Also fire Malcolm Butler, I'm so sick of watching him, he's bad and slow and tiny and can't contest any passes and easily gets beat in 1 on 1 coverage and I feel like they could find something better pretty easily

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a patagonian cavy posted:

turn on your monitor

it's funnier, since Metapod was the main one talking up the Titans in the offseason, saying they were gonna be good this year, instead of the distant fourth in the AFC Dirty South they currently are.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
They are good and will win the 9 games I've been saying this entire time

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Mariota Sucks

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DariusLikewise posted:

Mariota Sucks

I feel it's quite possible he might not have sucked in the right situation.

I also think he's probably been jerked around too long by now to have an easy fix.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mariota and jameis: the best 1 2 draft of all time?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I mean Luck RG3 is right there.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Grittybeard posted:

I feel it's quite possible he might not have sucked in the right situation.

I also think he's probably been jerked around too long by now to have an easy fix.

I think he's basically Alex Smith at this point, his ceiling has been drastically ruined by a series of bad coaches and the best you can hope for is slightly above averaging QBing.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

they should bench marcus for that performance. way too many missed throws, poor pocket presence, etc. Give Tanny a try imo, now's the time to figure out what you're gonna do not coddle a guy who'll probably be gone after the year

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
There are two or three QBs in the league at the most who would have won behind that line last night

Nov 6, 2002

Play posted:

they should bench marcus for that performance. way too many missed throws, poor pocket presence, etc. Give Tanny a try imo, now's the time to figure out what you're gonna do not coddle a guy who'll probably be gone after the year

They're literally the same dude. And beside the pass blocking was garbage.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Raku posted:

There are two or three QBs in the league at the most who would have won behind that line last night

There's way more than that. The circumstances were challenging but even when he had open guys and no pressure he missed them. Under those circumstances you can't do that. He reacted slowly or not at all to blitzes and wasn't able to fit balls in when his receivers were man covered. It was a very bad performance, even given the offensive line struggling

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

They're literally the same dude.

not really. Tanny's got a big arm where Marcus doesn't. Marcus is usually a bit more nimble, although he didn't look it last night. Their accuracy is similar, Tanny's a lot taller and might be able to do a bit better against the blitz

There are similarities, and maybe they're on a similar skill level. But I don't know how many more games like that they'll be able to accept from Mariota. To me it's clear that he is not the guy to be continue leading the franchise

Play fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 20, 2019

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Play posted:

There's way more than that. The circumstances were challenging but even when he had open guys and no pressure he missed them. Under those circumstances you can't do that. He reacted slowly or not at all to blitzes and wasn't able to fit balls in when his receivers were man covered. It was a very bad performance, even given the offensive line struggling

not really. Tanny's got a big arm where Marcus doesn't. Marcus is usually a bit more nimble, although he didn't look it last night. Their accuracy is similar, Tanny's a lot taller and might be able to do a bit better against the blitz

There are similarities, and maybe they're on a similar skill level. But I don't know how many more games like that they'll be able to accept from Mariota. To me it's clear that he is not the guy to be continue leading the franchise

It was also a monsoon

Nov 6, 2002

Raku posted:

It was also a monsoon

Didn't stop Minshew. :colbert:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mariota got put on his rear end more than a dozen times last night, and he was sacked something like 9 times. A lot of those sacks were instant and not the result of holding the ball too long. There was absolutely no protection for him all game.

Also it was absolutely pouring the first half and still soggy during the second.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Minshew got a big lead at the start of the game and then nothing happened but flags after that

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Raku posted:

It was also a monsoon

Barely sprinkling through most of the game, and Minshew seemed to deal with it fine. I've made enough excuses for mariota over the course of all these seasons, basically. I really liked him as a player but he simply hasn't gotten better like we hoped he would. He's still almost the exact same guy he was when he came out of college, except more injured.

It's not just this game either, I've been very patient for like 4 years now and nothing has changed

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah it did. He, and the Jags in general, had worse offensive numbers than the Titans until the third/fourth quarter. Fournette had negative yardage until he broke a 60+ yard run late.

I think even at the end of the game the jags converted only a handful of their third downs. Minshew made some good throws, but he also didn't rack up most of his completions and yardage until the second half.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Play is legit retarded guys

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

Play is legit retarded guys

you know, in your heart of hearts, that I'm completely right about Marcus

also you shouldn't use that word as an insult

Play fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 20, 2019

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

OxySnake posted:

I mean Luck RG3 is right there.

That is definitely the most tragic combo.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The thing about Mariota is, everyone here knows I've been a huge defender, but he's a shadow of the player who beat KC at this point. In the opener, most of the game he opted for very safe throws or overthrowing, which, first game in, okay. Second game, though, he does the same thing up until late in the game where he starts doing hurry up passes that are very nearly turnovers that look like rookie decisions. Didn't see the monsoon part of last night, and yes, the offensive line is incredibly bad, but committing to the run that much, that isn't just poor scheming, that's a lack of confidence in your quarterback. The whole "Mariota doesn't have an arm" thing isn't some constant state for him, he's become like that, and his confidence looks so poor with long passes that he's become a liability. If you don't believe in your quarterback enough not to have three straight run plays three scores behind in the second half, then gently caress it, start Tannehill and at least let Mariota prep himself to try to be a backup somewhere next year. And hire an actual drat offensive coordinator too, that would help. Other than Delanie who was a known quantity coming in, I don't see how the Titans TE situation was that impressive so I'm not sure why the TE coach got the job instead of some proper vetting, but whatever.

Nov 6, 2002

Probably Magic posted:

The thing about Mariota is, everyone here knows I've been a huge defender, but he's a shadow of the player who beat KC at this point. In the opener, most of the game he opted for very safe throws or overthrowing, which, first game in, okay. Second game, though, he does the same thing up until late in the game where he starts doing hurry up passes that are very nearly turnovers that look like rookie decisions. Didn't see the monsoon part of last night, and yes, the offensive line is incredibly bad, but committing to the run that much, that isn't just poor scheming, that's a lack of confidence in your quarterback. The whole "Mariota doesn't have an arm" thing isn't some constant state for him, he's become like that, and his confidence looks so poor with long passes that he's become a liability. If you don't believe in your quarterback enough not to have three straight run plays three scores behind in the second half, then gently caress it, start Tannehill and at least let Mariota prep himself to try to be a backup somewhere next year. And hire an actual drat offensive coordinator too, that would help. Other than Delanie who was a known quantity coming in, I don't see how the Titans TE situation was that impressive so I'm not sure why the TE coach got the job instead of some proper vetting, but whatever.

He doesn't look like a natural thrower of the ball anymore. Anything over 15 yards he looks like he's heaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

lamar jackson owns