Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Philadelphia is an incredible city to be 20 in, an ok city to be 30 in, and a very terrible city to be 40+ in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Bust Rodd posted:

Philadelphia is an incredible city to be 20 in, an ok city to be 30 in, and a very terrible city to be 40+ in

Living in my 20s in Philadelphia was easily one of the greatest periods of my entire life.

Until I got a gun to my head. Then I left.

naem
May 29, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

this is pretty much all all cities

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Catastrophe posted:

Living in my 20s in Philadelphia was easily one of the greatest periods of my entire life.

Until I got a gun to my head. Then I left.

:stare:

I'd love to hear this full story, if you're up for sharing. All good if you're not of course.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I rented a room with a Filipino family right next to the temple school of dentistry. When I was picking my truck up when I moved out(there was a rent communication issue so I had to quell some hostility from their 80 year old father whom we lived with), all the streets were covered in packed ice and snow and my stupid lowered rear wheel drive truck was frozen to the ground so l had to go back up the stairs, knock and ask the old man for a shovel. He came back with a machete lol. I unstuck my dumb truck with a machete.

I ended up renting a two bedroom at the corner of Broad and Parrish for $900 a month. Super tall ceilings, big windows in each room looking over broad St. Taking a trip down memory lane with my wife now. Such good times. We were there for the Phillies winning the series and then what the next year Obama got elected.

Now we live in rural Ohio v😀v

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
The only reason I lived in Philly was to go to culinary school at the Art Institutes. :eng99: talk about long term bad decision. Anyone out there go around 2008-2010?

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
I moved out just as you moved in. 46th and Walnut apartments from 06 to 08 in my Drexel days. One time we ordered a pizza and on impulse I invited the delivery guy to come smoke a bong with us. He was psyched to say the least.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
Is yous’s trash getting picked up?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:stare:

I'd love to hear this full story, if you're up for sharing. All good if you're not of course.

I've posted about it here way too many times but

I lived at 5th and Spring garden in the "upcoming" Northern Liberties neighborhood. I walked out one night to get some things from the CVS around the corner, turned around, and a .38 revolver was being held against my head. What SEVERELY did not help the situation was the fact that the reason I turned around to head back was because I realized I had left my wallet back home. This guy was screaming at me and running his hands up and down my body because he didn't believe that I didn't have any money to give him. He ended up taking my keys and phone and told me to go running in one direction as he ran in the opposite direction.

Back then, the ZIP code I lived in gave you a 1 in 10 chance of being the victim of a violent crime PER YEAR. Not overall. PER YEAR. Because of that, cops in plain clothes and plain vehicles would park around my neighborhood at night and just sit and listen and watch for activity. One was just feet away from where I was robbed. He saw this guy run past his car, throw objects into the trunk of the car, and then they burned rubber peeling out to get away. He thought that was suspicious and followed them. A minute later, I found a couple on a nearby sidewalk and used their phone to dial 911. Maybe 4 minutes later, a cop car picked me up at that corner and drove me just a few blocks away where the other officer who had heard the call, pulled them over, and had them all handcuffed and face down in the street. The guy who robbed me was 20 years old and it was already his third felony conviction. The judge told him "You're going to become an old man in a cage" at the court hearing because PA is a three-strikes state. And the gun he used had the serial# scratched off which was a mandatory 7 years on top of the 3-strikes felony conviction.

The next morning, my fiance showed me a positive pregnancy test. We were done with Philly, in that moment. A few months later and we had both packed up and moved to Portland.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lurk Ethic posted:

I moved out just as you moved in. 46th and Walnut apartments from 06 to 08 in my Drexel days. One time we ordered a pizza and on impulse I invited the delivery guy to come smoke a bong with us. He was psyched to say the least.

I graduated Drexel in 07. Used to take the shuttle to Pasquallys over there when I was a freshman because they wouldn't card anyone.

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
No poo poo? I graduated comp sci 2007. Pasqualli's was our go-to as well. Wonder if they're still around.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol they're on Google maps. I was Info Systems. Ended up commuting the last two years because I suddenly realized the implications of my student loans. It didn't make a difference to my social life, however, as everyone was local and that campus emptied out on the weekends.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Screw you I shoveled this spot so I get it until the snow melts

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Independence Day is Philly at its best:
https://twitter.com/acabstudios/sta...ingawful.com%2F

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
What a shithole lol

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICxITeNaxs4

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

tbb9 posted:

What a shithole lol

:thunk:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Extremely :nws:

:nws:
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CfnT86LjNoG/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

This seems to work on PC but not mobile, no idea how to link that correctly.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 7, 2022

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Extremely :nws:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CfnT86LjNoG/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

This seems to work on PC but not mobile, no idea how to link that correctly.

nice!

Karol-Man
May 14, 2022

by Fritz the Horse

A_Account posted:

It's Always Sunny is a pretty good show, the first 8 seasons anyway.

that aids movie is better

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

I was at this with my buddy’s kids and they loved it, this is one of the good Philly things. Everything else is bad.

I just realized that post was from 2021, nevermind , everything is bad.

tbb9 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 8, 2022

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
i jst flew in last night and ive been partying for like 3 days i fucing love this place pedophilia is the best city in the world WOO

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I'm going to go ahead and assume that's an extremely unfortunate typo.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

BasicLich posted:

i jst flew in last night and ive been partying for like 3 days i fucing love this place pedophilia is the best city in the world WOO

:chloe:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I have still never been to Philadelphia

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I'll probably never go back, and it makes me sad.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

The roast pork sandwiches are worth the trip but leave immediately afterwards. Honestly they should just hand them out at the bridge and feed traffic into a U turn back into new jersey.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
Outside of the food I don’t even know what I’d do with someone from out of town if they came to visit.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

tbb9 posted:

Outside of the food I don’t even know what I’d do with someone from out of town if they came to visit.

Old City, Mutter Museum, or just hit one of the art museums.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

tbb9 posted:

Philadelphia - a city well-known for having no sight-seeing, historic locations/buildings/neighborhoods/etc, museums, performing arts centers, sporting events, etc etc etc

what the hell are you talking about, lol

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Seriously just take somebody to the Barnes or Philadelphia's Magic Gardens

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

tbb9 posted:

run up the rocky steps, DUH

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Do it ironically posted:

Is Philly less or more white supremacist chud racist than Boston?

Philly doesn’t have the option because everyone is black.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

BasicLich posted:

That's in state college, pedophile State

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Do it ironically posted:

Is Philly less or more white supremacist chud racist than Boston?

Philly has two FM sports talk radio stations.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

Good soup! posted:

Philadelphia - a city well-known for having no sight-seeing, historic locations/buildings/neighborhoods/etc, museums, performing arts centers, sporting events, etc etc etc

what the hell are you talking about, lol

I can take a bus 2 hours to DC where every single one of those experiences would be better except for sports.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

tbb9 posted:

I can take a bus 2 hours to DC where every single one of those experiences would be better except for sports.

ok but that's not the point, you were talking like if someone came to Philly you wouldn't know what to do

If you live in a city like Philly and don't have any idea what to do with an out-of-towner, the problem is not the city dude lol

Also I lived in DC for years - with it being the capitol, of course it is going to have some awesome poo poo, but it's all such a different experience, and Philly absolutely has some beautiful historic neighborhoods that are on par with DC, I don't know what the gently caress you're smoking

Maybe you should move???

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Internet Old One posted:

Philly doesn’t have the option because everyone is black.

TIL that i am now black, the racists are in the northern part of the city. Patriot Front tried to do a little parade but got their rear end kicked last year and ran away in their little penske trucks.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Seriously just take somebody to the Barnes or Philadelphia's Magic Gardens

thanks for the idea

tbb9 posted:

There are a ton of beer gardens, theres the liberty bell,

tbb9 posted:

Is yous’s trash getting picked up?

Yes, but last week was delayed by a day due to the national holiday.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

DC sucks ball-rear end compared to Philadelphia. Why would anyone make that comparison unless they're fans of ball-rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

Catastrophe posted:

DC sucks ball-rear end compared to Philadelphia. Why would anyone make that comparison unless they're fans of ball-rear end?

They have free museums and clean, far reaching subways.