Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

it has the second worst sports fans after boston

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

big nipples big life posted:

*chucks D battery @ u

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

who boos loving santa claus?

philly, that's who.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Things I know about Philly:

Good at rioting

Fans throw batteries at Santa Claus

Eagles are lovely but they beat the Pats so also they are good

Cheese steak sandwich is hella good

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Gritty is cool too but I'm a sucker for anything with googly eyes

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Philadelphia brand cream cheese was actually created in New York. It was named Philadelphia as a marketing move because at the time the city was considered more posh and cultured than New York. :laugh:

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Whooping Crabs posted:

I saw Tom Green standup when I was there and there were a bunch of assholes who wouldn't stop heckling him.

- And rightly so, you should've joined them.

There are more potholes than people.

- Those are cobblestone streets you idiot.

I took an Amtrak there and the return trip was delayed 36 hours.

- You spent 36 hours not being in a shithole you're from.

I've tried a few cheesesteaks from different places and the only difference between the cheesesteaks in Philly vs everywhere else on earth is that they cost 2x in Philly.

- Nothing is sacred with you, you fuckin heathen.

On the plus side I smelled weed smoke everywhere. The Mutter museum loving rules. Overall three stars.

- Don't double space your sentences.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Speaking as someone from Cherry Hill, the worst parts of Philadelphia are because of people from Cherry Hill.

Except for M. Night Shamylan. You guys are responsible for that shitshow.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

philadelphia sucks absolute dogshit and i genuinely cannot imagine defending it unironically

the day i moved there a pregnant angry woman on a bus called some of her friends up to fire a bunch of guns into the bus that she was riding, and that was not even close to the dumbest thing some idiot fucker pennsylvanian did that week

a whole goddamn city with a 400 year old sewer system jerking itself raw over cheez wiz on soggy sandwiches like they're some kind of loving mecca smdh

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

food court bailiff posted:

philadelphia sucks absolute dogshit and i genuinely cannot imagine defending it unironically

the day i moved there a pregnant angry woman on a bus called some of her friends up to fire a bunch of guns into the bus that she was riding, and that was not even close to the dumbest thing some idiot fucker pennsylvanian did that week

a whole goddamn city with a 400 year old sewer system jerking itself raw over cheez wiz on soggy sandwiches like they're some kind of loving mecca smdh

Spoken like someone from Wilmington.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Also it's the best city for breakfast bar none.

What makes pilly so good for breakfast? and the answer better not involve pancakes or waffles

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Philadelphia is the greatest city in the world.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Away all Goats posted:

What makes pilly so good for breakfast? and the answer better not involve pancakes or waffles

Lots of all night diners, food carts that serve breakfast food, luncheonettes, counter serve places where you buy a sandwich while standing on the sidewalk, a million delis and corner stores that serve breakfast, many small bakeries that make amazing rolls of all kinds, and the fact that they have two breakfast meats that are unique to the area.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

big nipples big life posted:

having lived in both Philly and Boston for extended periods of time, I can surely say that Eagles fans are worst than New England sports fans

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s not the best city for anything in particular but the ratio of good to bad restaurants in philly is crazy high. You have to live in the absolute worst parts of North Philly before you can’t walk to a good rear end meal.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'd say Boston sports fans are just more obnoxious.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Where is the best Philly cheese steak

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

vyst posted:

Where is the best Philly cheese steak

Basically anywhere, it's like bread, melted cheese and some bits of steak maybe some other stuff what's so hard about that

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Best city in the states, for sure.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Cities are inherently bad and driving in Philly is likely the catalyst that created many a serial killer

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Basically anywhere, it's like bread, melted cheese and some bits of steak maybe some other stuff what's so hard about that

you know nothing lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Any real goon should know that melting the cheese isn't always so easy!

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Remember the Philadelphia Experiment, when Albert Einstein built a big invisible boat but instead of turning invisible, it teleported to New York, then traveled 30 minutes into the future and then back to Philadelphia, but when it returned there the sailors were different. Some were dead and fused to the hull. That's the kind of thing that happens in Philadelphia.

There is also a kind of cream cheese called Philadelphia cream cheese even though that too is from New York.

Just some facts about Philadelphia.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Smythe posted:

you know nothing lol

I live in Philly man

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
A Philly who trash talk he own sandwich.

A shameful Philly.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chomp8645 posted:

A Philly who trash talk he own sandwich.

A shameful Philly.

All the famous spots are just okay and not worth the tourist price hikes and I've had cheesesteaks in like Louisiana that were as good as the best here, like most food reputations tied to locations that aren't based on ethnicity (ie Indian food is gonna be better in Indian or Indian communities) it's kind of nonsense.

Besides, if there's one thing Philly has going for it, it's the immense variety of restaurants, going to get a boring rear end cheese steak when you have Godly Ethiopian here, banging Indian there, pub food that is baller as poo poo, and like Brazillian steakhouses and slamming BBQ, acting like a cheese steak is the culinary highlight of this city is totally beat.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

All the famous spots are just okay and not worth the tourist price hikes and I've had cheesesteaks in like Louisiana that were as good as the best here, like most food reputations tied to locations that aren't based on ethnicity (ie Indian food is gonna be better in Indian or Indian communities) it's kind of nonsense.

Besides, if there's one thing Philly has going for it, it's the immense variety of restaurants, going to get a boring rear end cheese steak when you have Godly Ethiopian here, banging Indian there, pub food that is baller as poo poo, and like Brazillian steakhouses and slamming BBQ, acting like a cheese steak is the culinary highlight of this city is totally beat.

i dont give one hot gently caress about all that bull poo poo u just typed but a philly cheese steak sandwich is more than "bread, melted cheese and some bits of steak maybe some other stuff" kuz ive had some bunk rear end philly cheese sandwiches & some bomb as gently caress ones

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Smythe posted:

i dont give one hot gently caress about all that bull poo poo u just typed but a philly cheese steak sandwich is more than "bread, melted cheese and some bits of steak maybe some other stuff" kuz ive had some bunk rear end philly cheese sandwiches & some bomb as gently caress ones

I was being reductionist but making a good one is not that hard which is why the sucky places are atrocities

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We can't tell you where the best one is because it depends, do you want peppers and cheese whiz? or do you want like an actual sandwich an adult might eat, with meat, light onions, and provelone.

Real talk I've eaten thousands of cheesesteaks in my life but my personal favorite is the vegan Chicken Cheesesteak from Govinda's in Center City on 22nd or so and you have to order it with pepper steak gravy. It's a truly legendary cheesesteak despite containing no animals.

The best NON-cheeseteak sandwich in philly is the Chicken Maroosh from a family owned muslim diner on 45th and walnut. I still dream of this sammy 3 years after moving and if i ever go back i promise itll be my first stop. They are closed for the entirety of Ramadan and I have been burned so, so badly drunkenly biking across town for one without realizing I can't get my sandwhich because of loving Alah, such bullshit.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

We can't tell you where the best one is because it depends, do you want peppers and cheese whiz? or do you want like an actual sandwich an adult might eat, with meat, light onions, and provelone.

Real talk I've eaten thousands of cheesesteaks in my life but my personal favorite is the vegan Chicken Cheesesteak from Govinda's in Center City on 22nd or so and you have to order it with pepper steak gravy. It's a truly legendary cheesesteak despite containing no animals.

The best NON-cheeseteak sandwich in philly is the Chicken Maroosh from a family owned muslim diner on 45th and walnut. I still dream of this sammy 3 years after moving and if i ever go back i promise itll be my first stop. They are closed for the entirety of Ramadan and I have been burned so, so badly drunkenly biking across town for one without realizing I can't get my sandwhich because of loving Alah, such bullshit.

Lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I like it with the whizz, op. 🍻

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Was philly the city that threw batteries at Santa Claus? I know they’re the city that ate literal steaming horse poo poo fresh from the horses rear end after a sportball win

Philly sounds like a pretty loving awful place

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

aka lovely boston

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

free hubcaps posted:

aka lovely boston

Is Philly less or more white supremacist chud racist than Boston?

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Philly is boss as gently caress, gently caress Santa, gently caress the cowboys gently caress apollo creed and all that poo poo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Do it ironically posted:

Is Philly less or more white supremacist chud racist than Boston?

LoL there is literally no metric by which you could argue that Philly is more racist than Boston

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
it's the only city in america where it's worst neighborhood is almost all white people

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL there is literally no metric by which you could argue that Philly is more racist than Boston

I genuinely didn’t know I’ve never been to either place and don’t live in the US just always hear how racist Boston is (gently caress the patriots)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

it's the only city in america where it's worst neighborhood is almost all white people

You could be talking about at least 3 places and they’d all be right answers, but for my money the White Trash in South Philly is some truly next level face-tattoo havinest grime.

I would agree that South Philly methheads are probably the most dangerous species of Philadelphian, with UPenn frat dudes and Off-Duty North Philly cops both being tied for second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Philly is America's fifth largest city, Boston is the size of loving El Paso. You can't compare the two they're not in the same category by any means. Boston is some local town, Philadelphia is a world city. Charlotte North Carolina has way more people than Boston.