Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah that’s why it’s impressive that Boston is somehow even more racist. It turns out that if you base an entire cities economy around Italian people fighting Irish people you get some prrrrrrrretty racist cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They sure love assaulting and murdering trans people here that's for sure.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Bust Rodd posted:

You could be talking about at least 3 places and they’d all be right answers, but for my money the White Trash in South Philly is some truly next level face-tattoo havinest grime.

I would agree that South Philly methheads are probably the most dangerous species of Philadelphian, with UPenn frat dudes and Off-Duty North Philly cops both being tied for second.

I was thinking of Kenzos but all those are fair too

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I was thinking of Kenzos but all those are fair too

Kenzo people are either smackheads too high to do much crime or drug dealers who want the streets clear of poo poo that will attract the cops so it kinda keeps itself cleared out of actual danger, but it is seriously loving grimey and i'll never go back there even if there is a baller loving thai spot right under the el

other spots of north philly are seriously loving apocalyptic though and nobody should loving go there or you may not come back

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

General Tso's Chicken Cheesesteak

Get at me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2ZqY-6Q0-Q

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

The roast pork sandwiches with broccoli rabe are better than cheese steaks.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

bossy lady posted:

The roast pork sandwiches with broccoli rabe are better than cheese steaks.

Yea

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
my philly story is flying to philly with probably the worst hangover of my life, getting off the plane, and realizing everythign smelled like hot garbage and continued to smell like hot garbage for the entireity of the trip. In short, philly smells like hot trash.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Came to post that I really liked Eulogy, the Belgian beer bar. But apparently they closed because the owner keeps getting death threats from former employees.

https://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/2017/08/10/eulogy-tavern-closes-old-city/

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
One evening when I lived at 21st and Sansom, I heard a police siren and roaring engines getting louder rapidly. A few seconds later and a police car chasing another car at high speed down Sansom St blasted past my place, I heard screeching tires, a series of gunshots, and then silence. And then the city LIT UP with police cars, ambulances, fire trucks, helicopters... I swear 98% of Philadelphia's police force rushed to pack in outside of my apartment. What had happened was a guy was driving down Sansom in a stolen car, shot into another car at 17th, and took off. There was an officer in his car right there so he started chasing. The other guy ditched the car at 22nd and Sansom, fired a bunch of shots into the cop car, hit the officer in the shoulder, and took off running. As approximately 517,000 other police officers suddenly flooded the area, he got sandwiched on both sides while trying to run over the Walnut St bridge and decided to jump into the Schuylkill. They thought he swam away and escaped but it turned out he got knocked out when he hit the water and, uh, being face-down unconscious in the water for a very long time until you're found means the outcome was grim.

But here's a shot I took of a helicopter scanning the banks looking for him trying to climb out somewhere

I had only lived in Philadelphia for a few months (2006, maybe?) after finally moving out of a small, rural north central Wisconsin town. That sort of eventful night wasn't something I'd have ever guessed I'd experience before then. Anyway, I still miss that city a lot.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Robo Turnus posted:

my philly story is flying to philly with probably the worst hangover of my life, getting off the plane, and realizing everythign smelled like hot garbage and continued to smell like hot garbage for the entireity of the trip. In short, philly smells like hot trash.

Yes it smells like absolute rear end horseshit. I have olfactory synesthesia and sometimes it's virtually unbearable. Most cities are like that but the mugginess of East Coast cities is pronounced.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
how is 2006 a few months

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

They likely mean IN the year 2006 there, Sherlock.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Yes it smells like absolute rear end horseshit. I have olfactory synesthesia and sometimes it's virtually unbearable. Most cities are like that but the mugginess of East Coast cities is pronounced.

If you honestly feel this way about Philly you should consider Wilmington and indeed all of Delaware as No Man’s Land. The entire city smells like dogshit, to the point where if you ask a local what they know about Wilmington, they’ll say it smells like dogshit.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Philly is America's fifth largest city, Boston is the size of loving El Paso. You can't compare the two they're not in the same category by any means. Boston is some local town, Philadelphia is a world city. Charlotte North Carolina has way more people than Boston.

Metro Boston has a few million more than metro philly, boston proper is mostly just small because of how mass zones their towns. Neither are big cities like a new york.

I've visited philly a few times, it's nice. Where would be a good area to stay if you visited?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The_Continental posted:

They likely mean IN the year 2006 there, Sherlock.

Hmm. No, I don't think that sounds right

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Johns roast pork has the best cheesesteak and roast pork. Also monks cafe owns

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

monk's is an ironic name because god has abandoned the city, right

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Yes. We also rioted in the streets when Obama won, and again when we won the World Series... and again when we won the Super Bowl.

I was in Carolina when the Super Bowl went off, and I stayed up refreshing twitter for like 4 hours to watch the riots unfold.

-10,000 people shut down a major highway by marching on it, chanting “gently caress Tom Brady”
-naked people surfing on cars downtown
-World War Z style human waves overtaking the giant iron gate to city hall
-stealing police horses to ride through the city
-knocking over a 30 ft tall highway light post
-police greasing streetlights so people couldn’t climb them
-people climbing police vehicles to get past the greasy parts so they could more easily climb street lights
-flipping a fire truck
-eating horse poop

This is how Philadelphia acts when it’s PROUD and it KNOWS you’re watching.

The other fun fact is how the old Eagles stadium used to have a courthouse and lock-up at the stadium. Great way to save the cost of transporting philly fans.

http://www.philadelphiabar.org/WebObjects/PBAReadOnly.woa/Contents/WebServerResources/CMSResources/10Q_TPL.fall11.pdf

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Broken Machine posted:

Metro Boston has a few million more than metro philly, boston proper is mostly just small because of how mass zones their towns. Neither are big cities like a new york.

I've visited philly a few times, it's nice. Where would be a good area to stay if you visited?

If you have money Rittenhouse Square, if you’re looking for hip Air B&B with lots of food and bars then Fishtown, everywhere else is just extremely urban doesn’t have a lot going on if you aren’t a student.

Philadelphia’s museums alone are worth the trip, really for Art and Science you can see some of the coolest poo poo in the whole world.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Why would you name a city after cream cheese?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
lol i got hit by a car last night right near Federal and Ellsworth

i was at a crosswalk and the escalde was slowing down so i crossed but the dude kept coming and hit me at like 4-5mph and knocked me back a few feet, it was some black dude going off on his kids, distracted

i got up and stared at the guy and said like "what the gently caress how did you manage to gently caress stopping at a crosswalk up?" and immediately the guy broke into what sounded like the Dave Chapple white-person voice like "Oh my goodness, I am extremely sorry, I humbly apologize my dude. I was talking to my kids, are you okay?" and i was okay so I said "yea man I'm alright, it's not a huge deal just be careful"

there was no real point to my story but i got hit by a car near my apartment in philly so i figured i would post

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Catastrophe posted:

One evening when I lived at 21st and Sansom

I hope you went down to Roosevelt's and paid $7 for all-you-can-drink (penny beers) and got a $5 cheeseburger and fries. RIP Roosies.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Tumble posted:

i was at a crosswalk and the escalde was slowing down so i crossed but the dude kept coming and hit me at like 4-5mph and knocked me back a few feet, it was some black dude going off on his kids, distracted

i got up and stared at the guy and said like "what the gently caress how did you manage to gently caress stopping at a crosswalk up?" and immediately the guy broke into what sounded like the Dave Chapple white-person voice like "Oh my goodness, I am extremely sorry, I humbly apologize my dude. I was talking to my kids, are you okay?" and i was okay so I said "yea man I'm alright, it's not a huge deal just be careful"

there was no real point to my story but i got hit by a car near my apartment in philly so i figured i would post

Awesome, I haven't been hit by a car yet but I feel like I'm due for it

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Tumble posted:

What time I was over there last night

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I can’t imagine how hosed up you would have to be not to understand that Philly is the greatest city and the mid Atlantic is truly god’s county.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Broken Machine posted:

Get an Airbnb in East Passyunk. It will be very affordable and close to lots of good bars and restaurants. You can get touristy things like cheesesteaks and water ice. An Uber to Center City will be less than 10 bucks. There's lots of totally free and unrestricted parking.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Dubplate Fire posted:

What time I was over there last night

8ish, I think.

Were you going to Sardine Bar?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Do not come to Philly I don't want to see any of you

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Do not come to Philly I don't want to see any of you

Fine

Turns car around on 95 going the wrong way while everyone crashes trying to avoid me

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
The blood is on your hands baby

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Fine

Turns car around on 95 going the wrong way while everyone crashes trying to avoid me

You're allowed into the city I can make an exception just stay away from the Walgreens near the Wahlburgers so you don't buy up all the Muscle Milk I'm the only one that buys them.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

You're allowed into the city I can make an exception just stay away from the Walgreens near the Wahlburgers so you don't buy up all the Muscle Milk I'm the only one that buys them.

Cool but that muscle milk is mine

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Penn Station East Coast Subs philly cheesesteaks are infinitely better than the cheese whiz atrocities in Philadelphia, prove me wrong :colbert:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Remember that time Philadelphia PD dropped a bomb on an apartment building? All major metropolitan police departments are in a race to the bottom where they basically become military forces but it seems Philly really was a pioneer in this area.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

surf rock posted:

Penn Station East Coast Subs philly cheesesteaks are infinitely better than the cheese whiz atrocities in Philadelphia, prove me wrong :colbert:

In my decade in Philly I never met a single person FROM PHILLY who ordered wit whiz, it seemed strictly for the out of towners who I guess couldn’t pronounce provolone?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Bust Rodd posted:

In my decade in Philly I never met a single person FROM PHILLY who ordered wit whiz, it seemed strictly for the out of towners who I guess couldn’t pronounce provolone?

Well then the locals are smarter than I give them credit for, because the philly cheesesteaks with something other than provolone are extremely questionable

I'm also diehard that the bread needs to be toasted.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

surf rock posted:

Well then the locals are smarter than I give them credit for, because the philly cheesesteaks with something other than provolone are extremely questionable

I'm also diehard that the bread needs to be toasted.

If you getting peppers on em you gotta or it turns to sog town.

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No idea how shaved steak on a roll became some sort of cuisine to brag about. Pretty much tastes the same anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Kurt Loadeater posted:

No idea how shaved steak on a roll became some sort of cuisine to brag about. Pretty much tastes the same anywhere.

Mostly seasoning, quality of the bread, how long they let that steak sit out and how they got it in the first place, the quality of the other ingredients, and the proportion of ingredients, it's easy to make properly but there are still places that output stale cheesesteaks that are greasy as poo poo.