Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Hi, I'm a monarchist AMA.
In my defence I live in New Zealand and I'm convinced the adoption of a republican constitution will inevitably turn out worse than how things are now. And the monarchy costs us like $3-10 million a year. It's not like I think it's the ideal form of government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

John Charity Spring posted:

how would a new zealand republic be worse

Probably have a president. Even if not I'm sure it would be screwed up somehow, probably on purpose, to the benefit of fuckwit politicians. It almost certainly wouldn't be better. We spent $26 million on a referendum for a new flag 5 years ago where the popular voice was completely ignored. I'm sure the process for changing something that matters would cost way more and be even more shaped by those in power.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

you should keep the monarchy but have a rotating one like malaysia's system with the maori cheifs

It could work. One of the problems with abolishing the monarchy is that the founding document of the country, the treaty of waitangi, is between the crown and various tribes.
The fact this would actually make a difference to anything is the reason we shouldn't be part of Australia.

Weka
May 5, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Literally just steal the British crown, the actual physical object, and have that be your head of state.

Which one, they have seven.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In some ways iirc this is literally how it works, like with the Holy See. (Vatican City, by the by, is iirc one of the only absolute monarchies left in the world, and the only elected absolute monarchy, since the Pope is also by position the King of Vatican City)

There's a bunch in Arabia, plus Brunei and Swaziland.
Are you saying the popehat is where the power is vested?