Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

FiftySeven posted:

Loads of people are going to hear that its critically acclaimed, go to see it and then be bored to tears by this film.

Tbf this movie may have resonated with me because I went through a breakup recently, so I empathized acutely with the themes of abandonment, of struggling to keep up a positive demeanor, of wanting desperately to simultaneously confront and reconcile with someone who abandoned you. I can see a wider audience missing a lot of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I'm willing to be persuaded that this was a very good or *extremely* bad movie. I'm kind of leaning towards number 2, but I'll watch it again on Netflix to make up my mind. What the gently caress was all that?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FiftySeven posted:

Loads of people are going to hear that its critically acclaimed, go to see it and then be bored to tears by this film

audiences are trash

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I don't know, man, all the stuff about being alone resonated with me. And the realization at the end that 'we are alone' means we should treasure one another and nurture those connections and not leave them aside for the sack of 'scientific achievements'... that hit me hard.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

stratofarius posted:

I don't know, man, all the stuff about being alone resonated with me. And the realization at the end that 'we are alone' means we should treasure one another and nurture those connections and not leave them aside for the sack of 'scientific achievements'... that hit me hard.

But what if Dad had found alien civilizations? Would we then have to conclude that, hey, maybe sometimes you do have to abandon your freakishly small-eared son back on Earth in order to make the greatest scientific discovery in history?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

stratofarius posted:

I think, yeah, that's a nice message, but the movie didn't really give it much substance. What does it mean for Roy to make a connection with his ex-wife in that last scene, when there is absolutely no substance to her character but as something for him to regret?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

professor metis posted:

I think, yeah, that's a nice message, but the movie didn't really give it much substance. What does it mean for Roy to make a connection with his ex-wife in that last scene, when there is absolutely no substance to her character but as something for him to regret?

But she had a voiceover line that said "I am my own person" therefore she is a good character

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

professor metis posted:

I get what you're saying, and it really does come down to the fact that they didn't want to dedicate any time to the wife. I feel like the wife was an afterthought, a way to make Roy's desire to connect again clearer. I think I'd like to see a version of the movie where you just never see her or her face, literally separating Roy from others, and at the end you finally see her face for the first time, but I guess that'd be a waste of Liv Tyler?

Anyway, even though I liked it, I reiterate I'd love to see a narration-less cut.

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
movie sucked rear end from start to finish. At the end when TLJ yelled down to BP, "Roy??" the camera should have panned up to a full frontal naked TLJ holding a handful of glowing antimatter. And then cut to credits with the wilhelm scream.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

stratofarius posted:

I get what you're saying, and it really does come down to the fact that they didn't want to dedicate any time to the wife. I feel like the wife was an afterthought, a way to make Roy's desire to connect again clearer. I think I'd like to see a version of the movie where you just never see her or her face, literally separating Roy from others, and at the end you finally see her face for the first time, but I guess that'd be a waste of Liv Tyler?

Anyway, even though I liked it, I reiterate I'd love to see a narration-less cut.

yeah the solution to the movie is to the make the female character even more of an empty shell that exists only for the man's personal growth

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

blue squares posted:

yeah the solution to the movie is to the make the female character even more of an empty shell that exists only for the man's personal growth

Look, it's a very big problem within the movie, and to truly fix it you would have to basically rewrite and reshoot. Which is why I don't think that's the 'solution' for the movie, especially because I like it as it is, but rather an alternative version. Like I said, I would personally rather see the cut where she's not even there, which apparently is what the movie was originally like. I can understand why Liv was added, but I think it's probably one of the movie's major problems.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

cardiacarrest123 posted:

movie sucked rear end from start to finish. At the end when TLJ yelled down to BP, "Roy??" the camera should have panned up to a full frontal naked TLJ holding a handful of glowing antimatter. And then cut to credits with the wilhelm scream.

Were TLJ's legs extremely tiny or was it a trick of perspective? I only saw them in a single scene at the end and they were like one third as large as normal. The rest of the movie was just his gross earlobes but given Brad's miniature ears I think I'm right. Perhaps even a connection between the three elements, tying into the Catholic mythology of the Holy Trinity and the consumerization of space and faith.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
Would love to see how many times James Gray tried and failed to get the rights to Final Fantasy X before throwing this together. What a waste of time.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
This movie really was an outrageous piece of poo poo.

Directors also need to start treating physics as a character in movies, not an optional feature. Unless you go full Star Wars.

Every time a movie which presents itself as having realistic space physics, obviously fucks up the space physics, it waves "PLOT ARMOUR" in front of your face. You just don't believe anything you are seeing which makes it impossible to care about the scenes or the plot. You feel like you're watching a scripted series of events, rather than watching an interesting narrative, which in turn removes all suspense, mystery and tension from any of the scenes. Usually these moments of dumbass space physics will telegraph a plot point as well so the plot becomes predictable and uninteresting.

Realistically: We know when we watch a movie that the main character isn't going to die 30 minutes into the film. We also know that we are indeed watching a scripted series of events. However, good film-making will make you forget that.

Then when the point of this movie was revealed, all I could think was: "The best way you could think of making that point was by making an absolutely bullshit journey through space, that nobody could possibly believe? I'm pretty sure literally any other scenario would be better."

Let's not forget That the entire first half of the movie was getting him to Mars so he could make an audio transmission to his Dad. This entire half of the movie was made unnecessary with the invention of audio recordings and email.

What a waste of loving time.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

H13 posted:

Let's not forget That the entire first half of the movie was getting him to Mars so he could make an audio transmission to his Dad. This entire half of the movie was made unnecessary with the invention of audio recordings and email.

What a waste of loving time.

Disagree: Theyve setup an adversarial future where conflict means they have to take some precaution. They go to Mars to specifically tight beam transmit a message presumably so no one will realize the US limabean project is the one loving poo poo up for everyone as the project had already been declared lost publicly. The movie does go through great lengths to make the secrecy and duplicity of everyone involved obvious.

I liked it, the music was great in that clearly ripping off other sci movies way.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i feel like the griping over physics misses the point. the movie is far more interested in using space as a metaphor for the isolating effects of trauma than recreating The Martian. pitt's increasingly improbable stunts should not be seen as something that could literally happen but a representation of how impossible it can feel to confront the source of one's pain and re-enter society. it's easy to retreat inward and abandon all human connection, as tommy lee jones does to the detriment of himself and everyone around him, but pitt never gives up and he is rewarded for his perseverance with a far more fulfilling life.

to put it another way, this is a very small movie that uses the grand imagery of space to underscore its message. you could probably peel away the filter of "space" and put this story's beats in virtually any setting.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Are TLJs eye bags that bad or were they done up to mimic the angry, bad space monkey?

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Does the marketing for this movie emphasize it as a realistic space flick? Because I didn't see any marketing for it, but that seems to be people's number one problem.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

stratofarius posted:

Does the marketing for this movie emphasize it as a realistic space flick? Because I didn't see any marketing for it, but that seems to be people's number one problem.

Not really no. But that's definitely not the #1 complaint. The garbage script is

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

stratofarius posted:

https://www.space.com/ad-astra-imax-trailer-space-movie.html

quote:

"Ad Astra" will feature "the most realistic depiction of space travel that's been put in a movie," Director James Gray said in an interview at the Toronto International Film Festival. Gray also described the film as "sort of like if you got 'Apocalypse Now' and '2001' in a giant mashup and you put a little [Joseph] Conrad in there."

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

drat, that's a dumb description. It was certainly not that.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm not really a stickler for scientific accuracy in my sci-fi. One of my favourite movies is Total Recall and I'm pretty sure peoples heads don't swell up and explode when outside on Mars, but at least it was internally consistent and care was taken in the set design and plot to keep things that way. Ad Astra is all over the place.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

what about ad astra was internally inconsistent?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

what about ad astra was internally inconsistent?

Mostly how it treated gravity.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

QuoProQuid posted:

i feel like the griping over physics misses the point. the movie is far more interested in using space as a metaphor for the isolating effects of trauma than recreating The Martian. pitt's increasingly improbable stunts should not be seen as something that could literally happen but a representation of how impossible it can feel to confront the source of one's pain and re-enter society. it's easy to retreat inward and abandon all human connection, as tommy lee jones does to the detriment of himself and everyone around him, but pitt never gives up and he is rewarded for his perseverance with a far more fulfilling life.

to put it another way, this is a very small movie that uses the grand imagery of space to underscore its message. you could probably peel away the filter of "space" and put this story's beats in virtually any setting.

A good post that summarizes my opinion of the movie.

Is this the new movie that cool kids like to hate now?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Whining about people liking or hating a movie you like or hate is idiotic. No one is saying you shouldn't enjoy it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

im not sure i understand what about the movie’s representation of gravity was so significant to ruin the experience. can you be more specific about what you mean?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

pitt never gives up and he is rewarded for his perseverance with a far more fulfilling life.

Yeah, if you find sitting at some bar having a beer waiting for a woman we know nothing about more compelling than exploring the question of whether there's extraterrestrial life, the ending of the movie probably works better than it did for me. Particularly when the first half of the movie is spent on a guided tour of how that sort of comfortable existence is predicated on war and human sacrifice.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 22, 2019

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

im not sure i understand what about the movie’s representation of gravity was so significant to ruin the experience. can you be more specific about what you mean?

I already made a few points about it earlier in the thread.

I'd say I've been spoiled by The Expanse, which is sort of a gold standard at this point, but even 2001 does a better job and it was made half a century ago. The director even went as far as directly comparing his movie to it too.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, if you find sitting at some bar having a beer waiting for a woman we know nothing about more compelling than exploring the question of whether there's extraterrestrial life, the ending of the movie probably works better than it did for me.

i think the movie does a bad job with pitt’s ex-wife and uses her as plot device as opposed to a fully fleshed-out character. still, though, i think the movie is p clear that what jones is doing is, at best, meaningless, and, at worst, responsible for almost destroying humanity.

project lima ruled out the possibility of extraterrestrial life early in its life. jones, unable to cope with other people or a life outside his work, refused to accept this and instead forced his crew to keep working beyond all reasonable limitations. by the time we see him, we see that he’s a miserable, pitiable figure wandering around a derelict space station in ratty sweaters. his work is less about benefiting mankind than it is an excuse to avoid dealing with his own extremely obvious insecurities.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

i think the movie does a bad job with pitt’s ex-wife and uses her as plot device as opposed to a fully fleshed-out character. still, though, i think the movie is p clear that what jones is doing is, at best, meaningless, and, at worst, responsible for almost destroying humanity.

project lima ruled out the possibility of extraterrestrial life early in its life. jones, unable to cope with other people or a life outside his work, refused to accept this and instead forced his crew to keep working beyond all reasonable limitations. by the time we see him, we see that he’s a miserable, pitiable figure wandering around a derelict space station in ratty sweaters. his work is less about benefiting mankind than it is an excuse to avoid dealing with his own extremely obvious insecurities.

The thing is, and I edited this into my post later so you presumably missed it, is that the first half of the movie is spent exploring how the comfortable existence we see Pitt go back to is predicated on war and human sacrifice. Pitt having that beer necessitates people getting shot in the face on the moon, the degradation of the environment, our species numbing itself with mood stabilizers, etc. And there's no recognition of that in the ending of the movie.

Putting aside that they didn't rule out the possibility of extraterrestrial intelligence—they just didn't find it yet in the vastness of space given only a few decades—because I agree Tommy Lee Jones was not engaged in a healthy pursuit, Pitt's ending is just him finding his own way to hide and ignore the world he lives in.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerkface posted:

Disagree: Theyve setup an adversarial future where conflict means they have to take some precaution. They go to Mars to specifically tight beam transmit a message presumably so no one will realize the US limabean project is the one loving poo poo up for everyone as the project had already been declared lost publicly. The movie does go through great lengths to make the secrecy and duplicity of everyone involved obvious.

I liked it, the music was great in that clearly ripping off other sci movies way.

So they never heard of encryption? They don't have USB drives? I'm surprised the movie didn't think of using carrier pigeons.

Face it. This plot was there so we could have moon pirates and space monkeys. That's a sentence that belongs in a comedy, not a movie that takes itself THIS seriously. I suspect they had the second half of the movie written and realised it doesn't meet runtime standards so they added in some utter bullshit at the start.

QuoProQuid posted:

As I said before: The problem with physics fuckery is that it completely telegraphs plot points. It also instantly removes any tension from a scene because you realise that the director will just make some dumb poo poo up to ensure our hero survives. There was no tension in this movie because every time it tried to be tense or exciting, you were too busy thinking: "Well that's loving dumb"

If you think the movie is dumb, that has a knock-on effect to how you feel about the characters or whatever point the movie was trying to make. At the very least, you won't believe in the movie which will make you completely apathetic to everything else.

It always sounds nitpicky when somebody whinges about physics in a movie. But this movie is loving dumb. Even if you weren't a nerd I'm sure you'd watch it and your brain would go: "I'm not sure how it would work in reality, but I'm sure that isn't how that poo poo works"

In a movie that takes itself THIS seriously? With a world presented with all the levity of a funeral? It's pretending to be super accurate when sweet jesus no.

H13 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 23, 2019

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Sir Kodiak posted:

Putting aside that they didn't rule out the possibility of extraterrestrial intelligence—they just didn't find it yet in the vastness of space given only a few decades—because I agree Tommy Lee Jones was not engaged in a healthy pursuit, Pitt's ending is just him finding his own way to hide and ignore the world he lives in.

Now that you mention it, SpaceCom/TLJ are probably the last people in that movie I'd want to represent humanity in a first contact scenario

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Krime posted:

Are TLJs eye bags that bad or were they done up to mimic the angry, bad space monkey?

The dude is like 85.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I knew nothing about this movie going into it besides that it was a space movie starring brad pitt.

The visuals and overall aesthetic of a near-future space colonies thing everything has is fantastic. All the messaging about corporatism infecting things was hamfisted at best and terribly stupid most of the time, like the casual request for a pillow on the rocket and the attendant being "sure, that'll be 125 dollars", just out of nowhere and immediately moves on, really awkward. Everything to do with the daddy issues was terrible and boring as hell, the constant religious quotes didn't sit right, TLJ was basically a nonentity and felt like he didn't want to be there the entire time (and at the end was like "here's my chance to peace out of THIS lovely movie and into Neptune's atmosphere, later", brad pitt's character was ok at best but got progressively less tolerable as the movie wore on, and the lingering on loving EVERYTHING got worse and worse towards the end. A two hour movie that could easily have been compressed down by 30 minutes at least.

Awful movie, I hated it. The visuals were outstanding a lot of the time but not worth the rest of the movie's interminable length, people were constantly checking their phones to see the time in the second half of the movie in my theater.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Captain Invictus posted:

I knew nothing about this movie going into it besides that it was a space movie starring brad pitt.

The visuals and overall aesthetic of a near-future space colonies thing everything has is fantastic. All the messaging about corporatism infecting things was hamfisted at best and terribly stupid most of the time, like the casual request for a pillow on the rocket and the attendant being "sure, that'll be 125 dollars", just out of nowhere and immediately moves on, really awkward. Everything to do with the daddy issues was terrible and boring as hell, the constant religious quotes didn't sit right, TLJ was basically a nonentity and felt like he didn't want to be there the entire time (and at the end was like "here's my chance to peace out of THIS lovely movie and into Neptune's atmosphere, later", brad pitt's character was ok at best but got progressively less tolerable as the movie wore on, and the lingering on loving EVERYTHING got worse and worse towards the end. A two hour movie that could easily have been compressed down by 30 minutes at least.

Awful movie, I hated it. The visuals were outstanding a lot of the time but not worth the rest of the movie's interminable length, people were constantly checking their phones to see the time in the second half of the movie in my theater.

I agree, but at least someone finally made the unofficial Shakma sequel I've always wanted.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Sir Kodiak posted:

The thing is, and I edited this into my post later so you presumably missed it, is that the first half of the movie is spent exploring how the comfortable existence we see Pitt go back to is predicated on war and human sacrifice. Pitt having that beer necessitates people getting shot in the face on the moon, the degradation of the environment, our species numbing itself with mood stabilizers, etc. And there's no recognition of that in the ending of the movie.

Ah, apologies. I see what you're saying but the sense I got from the film was that we aren't meant to see those costs as a good thing. It's just that the movie sees the solution to addressing those problems as beginning at a very individual level, whether that be accepting responsibility for what your lovely dad did or learning to do emotional labor for your spouse. Pitt only gets to his dad because of small, individual rebellions by other people empathizing with his situation (e.g. Sutherland handing over the USB, the Martian official getting him to the rocket). Pitt ends with not so much a retreat inward, as a chance to make amends. This isn't handled perfectly (prob should have shown some consequences for killing those four dudes or had Pitt exposing SPACECOM), but the handling isn't completely botched either.

H13 posted:

As I said before: The problem with physics fuckery is that it completely telegraphs plot points. It also instantly removes any tension from a scene because you realise that the director will just make some dumb poo poo up to ensure our hero survives. There was no tension in this movie because every time it tried to be tense or exciting, you were too busy thinking: "Well that's loving dumb"

If you think the movie is dumb, that has a knock-on effect to how you feel about the characters or whatever point the movie was trying to make. At the very least, you won't believe in the movie which will make you completely apathetic to everything else.

It always sounds nitpicky when somebody whinges about physics in a movie. But this movie is loving dumb. Even if you weren't a nerd I'm sure you'd watch it and your brain would go: "I'm not sure how it would work in reality, but I'm sure that isn't how that poo poo works"

In a movie that takes itself THIS seriously? With a world presented with all the levity of a funeral? It's pretending to be super accurate when sweet jesus no.

I guess I felt more drawn in by the questions of "Why is Pitt so emotionally constipated?" and "How will he escape his weird, zombie-like existence?" than I did questions about his personal safety. That said, I did tense up during the moon car chase, monkey attack, and launch fight because I didn't know whether the movie would kill of its ancillary characters.

tbqh, I very rarely think any protagonist's personal safety is in doubt in a movie, especially character-driven dramas. I didn't watch Gravity wondering if Sandra Bullock would die in the first fifteen minutes. Before I saw The Martian, I knew that Matt Damon would get off Mars.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 23, 2019

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

xiw posted:

Generally hated it - what a waste of stunning visuals and effects.

same

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

God this movie loving sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
As an atheist-leaning version of the Odyssey (I actually thought everyone else besides Pitt bringing up religion was both affirmed and denied by the idea at the end that we are all we have, and I liked that) plus the idea of rejecting your father to grow into a man, this was okay. It's just that the voiceover was so ham-fisted and the movie was shouting "I AM BEING UNDERSTATED AND MOODY" the whole time.