Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

heckyeahpathy posted:

Saying he murdered that crew is a little far. Maybe manslaughter's not out of line, though. They attacked him, and none of his actions as I recall explicitly led to their deaths. It's more like they died attacking him--the woman falls during a rocket boost, and the shot that messed up the oxygen in the shuttle was fired by the other attacker. Pitt's actions led to their deaths, but he didn't explicitly try to harm them.

I think that filmicly he murdered them. This comes right after the Mars Commander shows him a video where his dad admits to murdering a number of his crew by shutting off their life support because some of them mutinied against him. Then Brad Pitt goes through some rebirthy water imagery, and is involved in a fight where the crew dies attacking him by losing their life support. He's in the process of becoming his father.

This is part of the movie's greater thrust, that capitalism, broadly speaking, will kill us all. Capitalism is narrowly understood, for the most part, as "just doing the job." People take mood suppressors and are constantly under psychological supervision to make sure they're totally "balanced." On a personal level, this leads to a kind of isolation, with Dad as the most extreme example. He's also so committed to the job even though it's failing (the Lima Project is starting to crash into Nepture) and it's hopeless (there is no life to be found) that without familial intervention he'll destroy life in the Solar System.

Now if only all this were plugged into a better move, then we'd have something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

McCloud posted:

Why did they bother putting in the scene where they respond to the SOS? I mean, it's clearly there because the movie wants to say something, but I can't for the life of me figure out what. Don't help strangers in need, or a monkey might eat your face? Don't have lax security protocols when dealing with murderous chimps? :iiam:

So I think first and foremost, this fits with what I identified earlier in this movie where just going about doing your job will get you killed. Having that be "answering an SOS" seems to sit kind of maliciously(?) next to the other examples, bit it does fit. You also have the theme pop up in Pitt's decision there: he refuses to commandeer the ship because he would have to announce his mission, so in sticking to what he was told to do ("nobody is permitted to know") he ends up getting the captain killed.

I think it also serves as character development for Pitt: we get to see him identify that the co-pilot is nervous, and offer to go in his place. I think it's the first we see that Pitt is actually capable of empathy, and it's a step on the path along the way to the emotionality he shows when dealing with his father. IIRC, while he passes the psychological check after the rescue mission, his report/vitals are off from the one we get at the start of the movie. (Or I'm wrong about the timeline here. Was that still on the Moon?)

The scene also gives us a particular relationship between Pitt and the rest of the crew. He's put himself in danger for them, and definitely saved the co-pilot's life by going in his stead. This underlines the kind of moral failure that we see from the crew when they decide to "just follow orders" and attack Pitt when he sneaks on board the rocket. He put himself in danger for them, but they don't reciprocate because they received orders. Once again, they're just doing their job, and just doing your job gets people killed.