Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to what you have there.

It’s a laptop duster, apparently.

I’m going to use it to make dozens of the extremely difficult to tie and not at all controversial Mop Fly.

ROFLburger posted:

Any recommendations for a babby's first fly rod kit? Have a decent amount of experience with conventional(?) fishing

I've been eyeballing this one https://www.fishwest.com/redington-path-ii-outfit-with-crosswater-reel

You might also check out the Orvis Clearwater kits too. What’s your budget, and how serious are you about getting into the money sink hobby?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dangerllama posted:

It’s a laptop duster, apparently.

I’m going to use it to make dozens of the extremely difficult to tie and not at all controversial Mop Fly.

gently caress yah. I'm going to tie some up and go on a strictly ridiculous fly fishing binge just to gently caress with the uptight assholes at the trout hole. Then after I catch my limit I'll switch to a spinner for some added icing.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Dangerllama posted:

You might also check out the Orvis Clearwater kits too. What’s your budget, and how serious are you about getting into the money sink hobby?

Don't really have a budget. I mean I'm not looking to drop 1,500 on a rod but I'm willing to fork out some extra money for something that will last. I suppose about about as serious as a beginner could be. I've got quite the collection of lures for my bait caster and spinning rods if that says anything.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Holy poo poo, I want to learn more about the mop fly now. Sometimes you want a cheat code, and I kinda love it when uptight fly fishers get upset about :decorum:

Yooper posted:

Blacksmithing thread gave me a couple of ideas. I've got some presses near me I can use but I need to get a good text on what tonnage is required and some tooling design. Making it isn't an issue, I just don't want to make it wrong and have to make it again.

This could be really great if you can dial it in. Being about to stamp out blade lure bodies and things like spinner blades would be really handy.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Yooper posted:

Blacksmithing thread gave me a couple of ideas. I've got some presses near me I can use but I need to get a good text on what tonnage is required and some tooling design. Making it isn't an issue, I just don't want to make it wrong and have to make it again.

Wow dang I completely misread your post the first time and thought you wanted to make something like this. My bad.

https://www.machinemfg.com/punching-tonnage-calculation/

Scroll down a bit and you can get some numbers for tonnage to punch out brass, as well as some numbers for clearance on dies.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Yooper posted:

inner for some added icing.

What the gently caress?!?!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Some random thoughts since you already onow you like to fish (also I’m assuming this is mostly for trout or local stillwater.)

Price points on rods usually land in the $200, $500, $800, and mortgage payment range. The $200 rods would be just fine to learn how to cast. You can eventually keep it as your beater/backcountry/teaching kids how to cast rod. (Side note: Reddington is owned by Sage).

An “average” rod will run you around $500. Biggest difference as you step up in price point will be things like loading efficiency and accuracy. When I first tried an Orvis Recon after coming off a five piece Browning $100 special I owned forever, I noticed a huge difference in the responsiveness of the rod. It just wanted to send the line wherever I pointed it. And it did so without as much effort.

A complementary reel from somewhere like Ross, Abel, or Sage will run another couple hundred. A good one will last a very long time. I’m still using the Ross Cimarron my dad bought me probably 20 years ago.

So if you want to just get into it, one of those outfits would serve you well. If you’re still working on your casting or new to it, I would start there as well. Next step up is probably the Sage Foundation outfit or something else from Orvis, which is a bit better equipment and runs around $500. More than that, I’d look at picking up a separate rod/reel. If you can, try to cast whatever it is you’re buying first.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Rotten Cookies posted:

Wow dang I completely misread your post the first time and thought you wanted to make something like this. My bad.

https://www.machinemfg.com/punching-tonnage-calculation/

Scroll down a bit and you can get some numbers for tonnage to punch out brass, as well as some numbers for clearance on dies.

Nice, thanks dude!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Ooh a fly tying thread! This should help me save money after I walked into Orvis thinking the price I saw for a rod would be what I could get out of there for and be ready to fish...

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

crazypeltast52 posted:

This should help me save money

:homebrew:

For real, welcome though! Are you just getting started with fly fishing? Orvis is a quality brand, but if you're just starting out you can get a decent setup far cheaper than that. You might want to do that before you buy your tying vise and a bunch of types of feathers, but that is really up to you.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

It’s easy to save money fly tying. All you have to do is make sure you tie enough flies to offset your cost.

So, for example, if I tie 700 flies I’m absolutely approaching break even and this was all a great idea :eng101:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Well I assumed the $200 rod I saw online would be a starting point, but then I found out that was just the rod, with the reel and line were separate so I walked out about $400 lighter instead. On the plus side, 25-year warranty right? Not like I’m spending money at the bar anymore so this will be a good hobby to get me outside.

:homebrew: indeed!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

crazypeltast52 posted:

Well I assumed the $200 rod I saw online would be a starting point, but then I found out that was just the rod, with the reel and line were separate so I walked out about $400 lighter instead. On the plus side, 25-year warranty right? Not like I’m spending money at the bar anymore so this will be a good hobby to get me outside.

:homebrew: indeed!

Oh I misunderstood! You are already mostly outfitted with quality poo poo. Feel free to join us on the discord https://discord.gg/Psmjpd - it's a good crew and we like helping noobs get started.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

crazypeltast52 posted:

This should help me save money

:laugh: yes..... I'm saving I say as I open another package of bulk eyelets and 10 different colors of 500yd thread and a $25 tip top and 3 different color reel seets and and

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'll be able to save so much money pouring my own lures I say as I order hundreds of dollars worth of gear and supplies to make one kind of worm

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

In retrospect my apartment may not have too much space for tying setups so that will have to wait until I clear stuff out.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
You can tie flies if you have like 2 inches of a table edge accessible. They little man!
My whole tying setup fits in a single shoebox, vice and materials included.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeah, I tie everything on my main/work desk. I keep my vise off to the side, and all my tools in a renzetti tool caddy. My materials, I keep in a plastic bin.

This also keeps me disciplined about cleanup. I’d love a dedicated space, but you really don’t need one to get started.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Just bought a rod, anyone have any resource they could recommend for the basics? Casting, when to use which flies, etc, literally any video at all that ins't chock full of bullshit

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ROFLburger posted:

Just bought a rod, anyone have any resource they could recommend for the basics? Casting, when to use which flies, etc, literally any video at all that ins't chock full of bullshit

Check out my post on page 1 of the new fishing thread. Pete Kutzer and Bumcast are two great sources for casting instruction. Learn the standard cast, water haul, and roll cast. Those will comprise 99.9% of the casting you do. Flies will depend on where you live, what you want to catch, and how you want to catch it (dries vs nymphs vs streamers). You’ll catch fewer fish on dries but it’ll teach you how to cast, and the rigging is much more straightforward, so I’d start there.

What outfit did you get?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 20, 2020

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Dangerllama posted:

Check out my post on page 1 of the new fishing thread. Pete Kutzer and Bumcast are two great sources for casting instruction. Learn the standard cast, water haul, and roll cast. Those will comprise 99.9% of the casting you do. Flies will depend on where you live, what you want to catch, and how you want to catch it (dries vs nymphs vs streamers). You’ll catch fewer fish on dries but it’ll teach you how to cast, and the rigging is much more straightforward, so I’d start there.

What outfit did you get?

Thanks

Bought an 8.5' 5 weight Orvis clearwater kit

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Nice!
Don't neglect roll casting; it's easy and super useful, if less impressive looking than the other casts. 100% suggest tying a bit of yarn to your leader and practicing in the yard.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ROFLburger posted:

Thanks

Bought an 8.5' 5 weight Orvis clearwater kit

That’s a great setup. I’m sure you’ll be happy with it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

ROFLburger posted:

The best advice you can get is just look up Bill Dance Bloopers on youtube and do everything he does, hes a pro

Most people dont realize how dangerous snakes falling out of trees on your head are for instance

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I just ordered my soft bait setup :homebrew:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

There you go saving again!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Can't stop saving, won't stop saving

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Welp. Just put in another order for stuff because I don't have exactly the right materials and obviously trout won't eat my Hippie Stompers if the have medium legs instead of nymph legs.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Welp. Just put in another order for stuff because I don't have exactly the right materials and obviously trout won't eat my Hippie Stompers if the have medium legs instead of nymph legs.

Can attest to mop fly effectiveness on larger water. Smaller creek plunge pools, not so much.

Hippie stompers are my go-to terrestrial or attractor. I need to tie more.

Anyone use the fire hole dry or emerger dry hooks?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Yooper posted:

gently caress yah. I'm going to tie some up and go on a strictly ridiculous fly fishing binge just to gently caress with the uptight assholes at the trout hole. Then after I catch my limit I'll switch to a spinner for some added icing.

"Ya'll need some powerbait? I caught my limit today. This stuff makes you smell like garlic!"

(obey fishing regs)

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I made some things.

Keel trolling sinkers with beadchains

A whole buncha bullet weights for Texas rigs

Trolling lures. They don't look like much right now, but after they're painted and skirted I think they're going to work a treat.

Ultra-minnow jigs of various size

Style-9 Shad jigs, still with sprue attached

Detail

Seahorse lure with integrated swivel and blade. Pretty fuckin' fancy.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hi. Production Fly Tying and Tying Small Flies are available on Kindle Unlimited, which comes with a free two month trial.

Enjoy.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Those trolling lures are neat. That blunt head would be nice if I was still in texas and had wood to fish.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Those trolling lures are neat. That blunt head would be nice if I was still in texas and had wood to fish.

I think so, too! It's a really unique lure compared to what I make with the rest of my molds, being neither jig nor sinker nor lure with integrated hook.

This is sort of what I think it's going to be in the end. Not a literal example, but the same concept.

I made some midwest finesse (ned rig) jigs this morning before work. These are by far the hardest to make jig I can make right now. Getting both the hooks and the wire holders to lay flat in the mold while you're setting up can be really fiddly and time-consuming compared to virtually everything else. I haven't made these in a while and it took some time to get the hang of it again, but they came out well and I can clean up any ugly ones. They're on Aberdeen hooks: black hooks are #1 Owner (super sharp and expensive as all gently caress) and the bronze ones are Mustad 1/0 (Eagle Claw gtfo)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I made some things.

Seahorse lure with integrated swivel and blade. Pretty fuckin' fancy.

The things you're making there are giving me goosebumps they are so cool. That seahorse lure is particularly special

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

The things you're making there are giving me goosebumps they are so cool. That seahorse lure is particularly special

Thanks so much! I really appreciate that. I love seeing what comes out of the molds every time, and I'm glad that I can share that with y'all. I most definitely take requests, so let me know if there's anything that you'd like to see.

... and I have a feeling that you will enjoy seeing my super deluxe swivel/beadchain mooching sinkers :getin:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Eco_Pro_Tungsten_Punch_Rigs/descpage-EPPR.html

This was more what I was thinking of. You run the line through the weight, tie your hook on with a snell knot and chuck your preferred soft plastic trailer on. Punch jigs have a nice tapered head for sliding through thick vegetation, but it'd get jammed on woody structure. That blunt head would own for that, just throw a basic jig skirt on.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Eco_Pro_Tungsten_Punch_Rigs/descpage-EPPR.html

This was more what I was thinking of. You run the line through the weight, tie your hook on with a snell knot and chuck your preferred soft plastic trailer on. Punch jigs have a nice tapered head for sliding through thick vegetation, but it'd get jammed on woody structure. That blunt head would own for that, just throw a basic jig skirt on.

I don't see any reason at all why that wouldn't work for that purpose!

I made more stuff this morning but did not have time for nice photos. I've been making pretty small things lately so I thought today I'd make some heavy ones.

On the left are mooching/crescent/kidney sinkers with integrated bead chains on brass loops, in 1, 1.5, 2, and 3 oz versions. Really pleased with how these came out, and I can't wait to use them.

On the right are a pile of river/coin sinkers in 2, 3, and 4 oz versions. These are great for surf fishing in calm water and for moving water over smooth rocks like rivers and dam outlets and such.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Finished up my stock of beadchain making mooching sinkers

1/8 and 1/4 oz bullet jigs on #1 Aberdeen hooks

1/8 and 1/4 oz tube or tail jigs on 1/0 O'Shaughnessy hooks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
What do you use the bead chain sinkers for? How do you rig them?