Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Oh hey, we're well past the holiday season now. Let's send a traveling tacklebox around!

Edit: I'm going to put some stuff in a tacklebox and then send it to another goon. Please PM me if you would like to be that goon.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Triple postin' because I just got a shipment of 10 5g dick lures with which I will make at least one DICK TROLL.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Triple postin' because I just got a shipment of 10 5g dick lures with which I will make at least one DICK TROLL.

Why would you fish with anything else?

Get some tinsel on the trebles...

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I'm doing weekly classes with Project Healing Waters, starting last week. First, we are building rods from blanks; last week we attached the guides, eyelets, and tiptop with rubber bands at the appropriate spaces and marked the spline on each rod segment. This week we are wrapping those with line and lacquering over them.

After we have the rods built, we move on to fly tying. We'll also be practicing casting, I imagine. Eventually we start doing fishing outings, and one is apparently at the state hatchery. I'm super pumped and ready for some warmer weather.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Got to try my new lures. This plastic is way softer than I thought it would be. I think it needs a chunkier bait to really shine I think.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Did they not survive fishchompin's?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

No, it tore off the hook when I casted funky. Into lily pads. And a hydrilla mat. Now, with a proper cast and a swimbait hook instead of a punch style hook it was fine pulling into and through heavy hydrilla. It would be awesome for a grub with a thicker body.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

I'm doing weekly classes with Project Healing Waters, starting last week. First, we are building rods from blanks; last week we attached the guides, eyelets, and tiptop with rubber bands at the appropriate spaces and marked the spline on each rod segment. This week we are wrapping those with line and lacquering over them.

After we have the rods built, we move on to fly tying. We'll also be practicing casting, I imagine. Eventually we start doing fishing outings, and one is apparently at the state hatchery. I'm super pumped and ready for some warmer weather.

Ahhhhh I want to get into rod building so badly. That is really cool. Let me know if you'd ever be receptive to being commissioned to build one for a goon.

Elmnt80 posted:

No, it tore off the hook when I casted funky. Into lily pads. And a hydrilla mat. Now, with a proper cast and a swimbait hook instead of a punch style hook it was fine pulling into and through heavy hydrilla. It would be awesome for a grub with a thicker body.

So what's the next step to dial in your plastic? More hardener?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Ahhhhh I want to get into rod building so badly. That is really cool. Let me know if you'd ever be receptive to being commissioned to build one for a goon.

One of the instructors is fitting the handles on the bottom piece of the rod for us to save us what is apparently a serious headache, so I won't quite be an expert. If you start in on building a rod, let me know and I'll gladly impart any knowledge I manage to retain! I leave in a few hours to start attaching those guides.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Doubleposting in the name of progress!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So what's the next step to dial in your plastic? More hardener?

Not with this mix since it's a floating blend and I don't want to throw off that floating density. I was just being a lazy dingus about swapping out the hook I was using and fishing in the wrong kind of cover for the lure/presentation. On a stand-up jig head/Shakey head/etc it'll be perfect. Tons of motion and it floats well which will help it stand up appropriately for the water I actually want to fish it in.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

Doubleposting in the name of progress!

:justpost: in order to keep me from posting six times in a row. That looks like fine work from here, and that's a drat fine helper kitty right there!

Elmnt80 posted:

Not with this mix since it's a floating blend and I don't want to throw off that floating density. I was just being a lazy dingus about swapping out the hook I was using and fishing in the wrong kind of cover for the lure/presentation. On a stand-up jig head/Shakey head/etc it'll be perfect. Tons of motion and it floats well which will help it stand up appropriately for the water I actually want to fish it in.

Interesting. Not that you necessarily intend to do it, but would adding salt to that blend affect density and/or buoyancy? I'm thinking about Ned rigs and the Z-Man TRD stickbaits that everybody swears by. They're made of tough plastic and float, but it seems like people ritualistically stretch and soak them when they're new to break them in and loosen the salt up. I'm not from bass country so a lot of these varying factors are nuances I don't know about.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The zman elaztech plastic is a different animal entirely compared to normal bait plastic like I have that happens to float. When stores together, the fumes they give off will melt each other. And yes, the things you said are 100% true about it. It's a different PVC style material that HAS to be machine poured to get it to set properly. Something about high temp control and injection pressures, etc.

And yeah, I can mess with adding salt, but it makes the plastic heavier, more dense and overall softer while usually introducing moisture to the plastic. When added to floating blends in the right amount, you can almost make a suspending bait.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Thanks for the lesson! Learning how fiddly this can get makes me want to dial back my plans and start out with open pour. Seems like 3D printed molds would be even more relevant then, too.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It's less that it's fiddly and more that you have a ton of options when doing this stuff.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

"Fiddly" is a technical term. :v: I know what you mean though, I'm just learning how much I don't know about various plastics.

It has been four months since I poured any lead. gently caress that! I'm getting in the poo poo this weekend.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Could I get opinions on brands of waders? I know this thread is specifically about tying lures but it seems like y'all would maybe have more informed opinions on the subject than the hiking thread. Like if you were going to put in some duckboard / corduroy road and were looking for something that would wick sweat and be flexible but not let water in, would that be asking too much? I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong places or asking for too much.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

Could I get opinions on brands of waders? I know this thread is specifically about tying lures but it seems like y'all would maybe have more informed opinions on the subject than the hiking thread. Like if you were going to put in some duckboard / corduroy road and were looking for something that would wick sweat and be flexible but not let water in, would that be asking too much? I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong places or asking for too much.

Brands are going to matter less than materials, I think. If wicking sweat is a priority for you, I would avoid neoprene. It's warm as gently caress, but probably insulates better than you want it to. "Breathable Waders" is a search term to use if you aren't doing that already, and you'll want to decide if you want stockingfoot waders to wear under other boots or bootfoot waders with the boots already integrated. Stockingfoot is always cheaper, but is more prone to leakage. If you're not standing in a river all day, that might not matter as much or at all.

Maybe others have more insight specifically into brands, but if you're primarily using the waders to stay dry during roadbuilding you probably don't need anything high end.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Cool thanks. I did not know any of that. I was not looking for "breathable waders" but I will be now. Thank you.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Brand kinda matters, depends on how often you’re going to use them. If it’s just for rare or occasional wading, get some Cabela’s store brand waders when they’re on sale. That’s what I did, and I’ve had them for a couple years, but I rarely ever use them, and just wet-wade most of the year. If you’re gonna be using them a lot, and by that I mean regularly at all, so like if you’re planning on wearing them more than once or twice a year, it’s worth investing in a pair with a warranty, like Simms or Patagonia.

Biggest thing is getting some breathable ones, and also making sure you wear a wading belt with them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Patagonia repair policy seems unreal.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

The Patagonia return policy does seem super generous. Would they pay out if the item was used in some way other than its intended purpose, ie road construction instead of fishing? I guess they wouldn't have any way of knowing most of the time.

Component items for the DICK TROLL are beginning to trickle in. Stupid global pandemic disrupting the stupid supply chain for my dumb project! :argh:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Component items for the DICK TROLL are beginning to trickle in. Stupid global pandemic disrupting the stupid supply chain for my dumb project! :argh:

It's really hard when the supply chain gets so long. Hopefully you don't get the shaft with your orders.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Things are beginning to trickle in. The clevises and split rings just arrived and I should already have some crimps, so I'm waiting on rudders and the coated wire leaders to attach everything to. I really hope that it works. The first trout caught on the dick troll is going to feel like a real rear end in a top hat, a real cock-biting jerk.

Yooper, you fish walleye, right? What kind of tackle and terminal rigs do you like for that? I know that the Lindy rig is a popular choice and the walking sinker is more or less designed specifically for slow-trolling them, but I don't know much more than that. Walters are such a huge fishery in so many places and I know hardly anything about them. Also a good friend just moved to Ann Arbor and has suggested a Great Lakes trip, so I may be making my first trip to the upper Midwest at some point.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Yooper, you fish walleye, right? What kind of tackle and terminal rigs do you like for that? I know that the Lindy rig is a popular choice and the walking sinker is more or less designed specifically for slow-trolling them, but I don't know much more than that. Walters are such a huge fishery in so many places and I know hardly anything about them. Also a good friend just moved to Ann Arbor and has suggested a Great Lakes trip, so I may be making my first trip to the upper Midwest at some point.

It follows cycles depending on time of the year. Opener finds a lot of people just trolling rapalas along the breaks, diving raps, or jigs bounced on the bottom. Once that cools down then crawler harnesses, leech rigs, and jigs with a crawler do pretty well. After that poo poo slows down a lot of people switch to either Smallmouth Bass or rig for the salmon but it's been for poo poo these past years. Come fall the bite picks up but I don't really fish it then so not sure what they use.

Lindy seems really big in other areas but in my area there's a few places who make poo poo like that locally. I can remember going to garages with my dad and picking out all sorts of tackle.

Focus on Lindy rigs, bottom bouncers, jigs, and rapalas that are bigger than what you'd think. Leeches and night crawlers are king, but occasionally they want a minnow. Most reliable bait used to be a perch eye but the perch numbers aren't what they used to be.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hell yeah, a very late thanks for that. Looking forward to a day when I can put that to use!

Anybody making anything while they're stuck at home? I've got an itch to pour some lead. Maybe I'll finally get around to making some spinners.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://anglingai.com/905a-20-2-single-tail-grub-mold/

I dunno, but this seems like your jam kobolds, I think you were looking for a small single curly tail grub mold

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

https://anglingai.com/905a-20-2-single-tail-grub-mold/

I dunno, but this seems like your jam kobolds, I think you were looking for a small single curly tail grub mold

This is a beautiful mold, and being a 20 cavity model it would be great for a small tackle business. It's definitely on the pricey high end of the molds I've seen, but I'll bet you could make several hundred grubs a day with this and the craftsmanship looks excellent.

Sorry for the delay in reply, I've been fighting suspected Trump AIDS for the past three weeks. I hope y'all are well.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

This monstrosity took me 90 minutes to tie. Things I had not worked with before:

- Double-hook streamer (hell, I’ve never even cast one)
- Lead eyes
- Polar fiber (this stuff gets everywhere)
- A dubbing loop
- A dubbing whirl

I still have no idea how to keep the polar fiber together long enough to get it in the dubbing loop correctly, but I’m looking forward to trying this sucker out.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

This monstrosity took me 90 minutes to tie. Things I had not worked with before:

- Double-hook streamer (hell, I’ve never even cast one)
- Lead eyes
- Polar fiber (this stuff gets everywhere)
- A dubbing loop
- A dubbing whirl

I still have no idea how to keep the polar fiber together long enough to get it in the dubbing loop correctly, but I’m looking forward to trying this sucker out.

:3: I love it. And I totally feel you about fly tools. They weird.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

:3: I love it. And I totally feel you about fly tools. They weird.

I really recommend checking out the OPST YouTube channel. You might not be tying a lot of steelhead or articulated flies, but a lot of prep and practices are applicable for what you’re talking about.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone have any resources for stamping brass lure bodies? I'm looking at using brass roll stock or bar stock, punching then embossing.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Rummaging through some old boxes. Well what have we here…

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

I can never find that poo poo or the squirmy material as cheap as everyone says it is. :(

Sucks since dirty flies work so goddamn well in lovely conditions.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to what you have there.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Looks like a car washing mitt

Yooper posted:

Anyone have any resources for stamping brass lure bodies? I'm looking at using brass roll stock or bar stock, punching then embossing.

Just googling what these look like, seems like the perfect use case for a mini/benchtop lathe.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 14, 2020

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Yooper posted:

You know, this is one of the few aspects of tacklemaking that I haven't heard much about. I haven't seen any dies offered or anything like that. Is that something that you could fabricate?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

this looks like a question for THE BLACKSMITHING THREAD -

anyway, yeah you'd make a stamp out of hardened steel and then it would be pretty easy to make a scale pattern in brass

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Blacksmithing thread gave me a couple of ideas. I've got some presses near me I can use but I need to get a good text on what tonnage is required and some tooling design. Making it isn't an issue, I just don't want to make it wrong and have to make it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Any recommendations for a babby's first fly rod kit? Have a decent amount of experience with conventional(?) fishing

I've been eyeballing this one https://www.fishwest.com/redington-path-ii-outfit-with-crosswater-reel