Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
What do you use the bead chain sinkers for? How do you rig them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
A terrible, wonderful thing happened to me this week:

My brother in law gave me a cheap vise and bobbin a few months ago and then for my birthday my wife and friends got me a bunch of feathers and hooks and wires and bits of string. Part of it came from kits on the internet and part of it came from the wife going down to the local fly shop and accosting all the greybeards. Exciting times!

I have tied three flies in my life, not including san juan worms, so i am very excited to be able to jump in headfirst and make a bunch of horrible useless garbage for a few weeks before i start turning out serviceable flies.

It all came with a couple of books and instruction manuals, but is there anybody on youtube who is reliable for decent fly tying basics?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
my new year's resolution was i went to a fly shop that had a $5 thing of mystery flies and apparently i was the only person who had ever bought one that wasn't smart enough to hold it up to the light to see if i could get a good idea of which flies were in the lil mystery tub. the important thing is that it wasn't all zebra midges, and the other important thing is that the fly shop had that orvis case that you can use to pre-tie a bunch of double droppers. The guy even joked with me that the best place to tie up flies was on your couch the night before, as far away from the water conditions as possible. Just throw a hares ear with a zebra nymph on the end, how hard could it be??

At some point this year I would like to learn how to tie a bead head prince nymph, though, so if you guys have a video you like that helps me do that i'd be much obliged