Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atlas barfed
Aug 17, 2006

Lowparts posted:

Anybody got an opinion on Peak fly tying vices? I'm looking to upgrade from baby's first vice now that I've decided to overcomplicate my love of fishing.

Haven't used one myself, but they're recommendation of my local fly shop. They've never steered me wrong for advice with other recommendations.

I've owned both a Regal travel vise and a Griffin Mongoose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atlas barfed
Aug 17, 2006
The Regal is convenient due to having a spring holding the clamp shut; you squeeze the lever on the side and it opens the jaws. The Mongoose has a thumbscrew that adjusts the jaws, then a cam lever that closes them. Both are quick changing between flies, with the Mongoose needing to be adjusted if changing hook sizes. Mongoose can adjust tension, but there's a chance of getting it too light and having what you're working on slip if you're not careful. The travel Regal clamps at one force.

Regal has finer jaws, and I feel is easier with small nymph and dry fly hooks than the Mongoose. Due to adjustability and size, the Mongoose is better at accommodating larger hooks like you'd use for bass and saltwater streamers. Though I've tied down to an 18 or 20 using the Mongoose and done fine. Regal does sell different sized heads such as a big game one, or one for midges.

Both have rotating heads, but Mongoose has more adjustability, and can easily change the length of the jaws to keep a fly in axis with the rotation of the vise. You can also adjust tension of the vices rotation. This does give the Mongoose some play, and the Regal feels more solid, but it's not anything that's ever bothered me.

Mongoose comes with a bobbin holder which is useful for some things, and I prefer the materials holder on it. I'm pretty sure Griffin still includes several of their tools with the Mongoose, so you get stuff like an extra bobbin, hackle gauge, and it comes in a plastic pistol case which are convenient.

Typically I'm using the Regal due to being easy and quick. Mongoose is my choice for larger streamers, or anything I tie that that really depends on the rotary function. I would be happy with either as my only vise, though I bought the Mongoose at 180 several years ago, and am not sure if I'd pay more than that vs the Regal.

If you have a local fly shop, I'd recommend seeing if you could try out various vises.