Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Glad someone started a thread for this.

Just wanted to say that people learning to tie could do what I do and tie with stuff you find in the craft department at Wal-mart or dollar store and stuff you find outside: feathers from chickens or pet ducks and hair from dogs, cats, goats, cows, and horses. Some of the fancier fly tying materials are too expensive and you can emulate most of them with cheaper alternatives.

Do not make anything out of feathers of wild birds, even if you just find it on the ground. The feathers may be pretty, but it's probably illegal to possess - especially if they are from migratory birds.

And I always pinch my barbs down - especially if I'm whipping them around on a fly rod.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

I'm kind of expecting it to unravel when cast, because I'm far from certain I did the whip finish correctly.

There's always superglue.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

A birdgoon sent me some stuff! I'm excited to work with these neat colors. The short feathers at the bottom I know will work for snazzy tails; what should I use the longer ones for?

Ooooh, I really love the powdery blue ones in the upper right.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I've 3D printed crankbaits but never thought of printing molds. That's pretty neat.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

We need to negotiate a tackle swap. I want to fish some of your plastics!

Financial responsibility has reared its ugly head and I'm going to hold off on my plastics kit for a couple of weeks. BUT, as luck would have it, my dad gave me a cool Christmas present:

I think I want to make a couple of bucktail and marabou jigs before I start tying flies in earnest, but I ain't complaining.

I don't have a lot of space so I use a travel fly-tying set like this exclusively. In fact, this one looks exactly like the one I have except mine came with the Thompson whip finisher. (which I soon replaced with a Matarelli like that one because I could never use the Thompson properly)

You might want to reinforce the latch/clasp on the box if it's made like mine.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 7, 2020

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

The latch is definitely rear end. Also I've never used any of these tools before and have no loving idea what I'm doing. Welp, time to suck at something before sucking a little less at it.

Do you any fly tying materials yet? And you already know this, but I'd suggest youtube videos. There are so many of them out there that show the entire process of tying any kind of fly. Hell, they're just relaxing to watch sometimes.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

Check out Tightlines, InTheRiffle, and Kim Misiura on Youtube for fly tying tutorials that are laid back and well done. (I tried to link them but it kept loving the links up)

Yup, ditto on Tightlines and Kim Misiura.