Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

This monstrosity took me 90 minutes to tie. Things I had not worked with before:

- Double-hook streamer (hell, I’ve never even cast one)
- Lead eyes
- Polar fiber (this stuff gets everywhere)
- A dubbing loop
- A dubbing whirl

I still have no idea how to keep the polar fiber together long enough to get it in the dubbing loop correctly, but I’m looking forward to trying this sucker out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Rummaging through some old boxes. Well what have we here…

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to what you have there.

It’s a laptop duster, apparently.

I’m going to use it to make dozens of the extremely difficult to tie and not at all controversial Mop Fly.

ROFLburger posted:

Any recommendations for a babby's first fly rod kit? Have a decent amount of experience with conventional(?) fishing

I've been eyeballing this one https://www.fishwest.com/redington-path-ii-outfit-with-crosswater-reel

You might also check out the Orvis Clearwater kits too. What’s your budget, and how serious are you about getting into the money sink hobby?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 15, 2020

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Some random thoughts since you already onow you like to fish (also I’m assuming this is mostly for trout or local stillwater.)

Price points on rods usually land in the $200, $500, $800, and mortgage payment range. The $200 rods would be just fine to learn how to cast. You can eventually keep it as your beater/backcountry/teaching kids how to cast rod. (Side note: Reddington is owned by Sage).

An “average” rod will run you around $500. Biggest difference as you step up in price point will be things like loading efficiency and accuracy. When I first tried an Orvis Recon after coming off a five piece Browning $100 special I owned forever, I noticed a huge difference in the responsiveness of the rod. It just wanted to send the line wherever I pointed it. And it did so without as much effort.

A complementary reel from somewhere like Ross, Abel, or Sage will run another couple hundred. A good one will last a very long time. I’m still using the Ross Cimarron my dad bought me probably 20 years ago.

So if you want to just get into it, one of those outfits would serve you well. If you’re still working on your casting or new to it, I would start there as well. Next step up is probably the Sage Foundation outfit or something else from Orvis, which is a bit better equipment and runs around $500. More than that, I’d look at picking up a separate rod/reel. If you can, try to cast whatever it is you’re buying first.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

It’s easy to save money fly tying. All you have to do is make sure you tie enough flies to offset your cost.

So, for example, if I tie 700 flies I’m absolutely approaching break even and this was all a great idea :eng101:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeah, I tie everything on my main/work desk. I keep my vise off to the side, and all my tools in a renzetti tool caddy. My materials, I keep in a plastic bin.

This also keeps me disciplined about cleanup. I’d love a dedicated space, but you really don’t need one to get started.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ROFLburger posted:

Just bought a rod, anyone have any resource they could recommend for the basics? Casting, when to use which flies, etc, literally any video at all that ins't chock full of bullshit

Check out my post on page 1 of the new fishing thread. Pete Kutzer and Bumcast are two great sources for casting instruction. Learn the standard cast, water haul, and roll cast. Those will comprise 99.9% of the casting you do. Flies will depend on where you live, what you want to catch, and how you want to catch it (dries vs nymphs vs streamers). You’ll catch fewer fish on dries but it’ll teach you how to cast, and the rigging is much more straightforward, so I’d start there.

What outfit did you get?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 20, 2020

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ROFLburger posted:

Thanks

Bought an 8.5' 5 weight Orvis clearwater kit

That’s a great setup. I’m sure you’ll be happy with it.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Welp. Just put in another order for stuff because I don't have exactly the right materials and obviously trout won't eat my Hippie Stompers if the have medium legs instead of nymph legs.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hi. Production Fly Tying and Tying Small Flies are available on Kindle Unlimited, which comes with a free two month trial.

Enjoy.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Fly tying threads are complicated mess because a lot of them use the "aught" system, or list their weight in denier, but that doesn't tell you how the thread is constructed. Ed Engle's advice in Tying Small Flies boils down to "buy a bunch of thread and figure out what you like." Charlie Craven has a really thorough section on thread in Basic Fly Tying.

At least for trout, you could do a lot worse than stick with Uni 8/0 72D thread for most flies.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

You might do a half hitch before starting the whip finish. If something goes wrong, the whole fly won’t unravel on you.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Stalizard posted:

A terrible, wonderful thing happened to me this week:

My brother in law gave me a cheap vise and bobbin a few months ago and then for my birthday my wife and friends got me a bunch of feathers and hooks and wires and bits of string. Part of it came from kits on the internet and part of it came from the wife going down to the local fly shop and accosting all the greybeards. Exciting times!

I have tied three flies in my life, not including san juan worms, so i am very excited to be able to jump in headfirst and make a bunch of horrible useless garbage for a few weeks before i start turning out serviceable flies.

It all came with a couple of books and instruction manuals, but is there anybody on youtube who is reliable for decent fly tying basics?

:bisonyes:

Check out Tim Flagler’s Tightline video. He is partnered with Orvis and his channel is a must-watch for basic patterns.

Here’s a Gold Ribbed Hare’s Ear

https://youtu.be/fDGmD8Zlcqw

Charlie Craven is also a great resource. He’s got a number of books out and his channel has a lot of go-to patterns and techniques.

Here’s him tying an RS2

https://youtu.be/21Kc57URG14

It also helps that Charlie is just an awesome dude and I have spent entirely too much time and money at his shop.

intheriffle and Kelly Galloup’s TheSlideInn are also good channels.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That's not wrong, but it is just not that simple if you're new to it or casual. It's not always apparent to me what a fly is supposed to be mimicking and I've got a lot of experience with benthic macroinvertebrates. Adult patterns are easier to look at and understand and a lot of nymphs can be as well, but 2nd instar stages are sometimes tough. Fly names are dumb and don't tell you anything either. A wooly bugger is supposed to be a leech, ffs. That name don't mean poo poo and a dry one doesn't look like any kind of invert at all.

I think a lot of the "match the hatch" and fly names are elitist gatekeeping by flyfishing snobs. It irritates the poo poo out of me when flyfishing nerds are "helpful" like that but don't really tell you anything. It's not a hatch anyway, you dildoes, it's an emergence. When mayflies, stoneflies, and caddisflies hatch from eggs, they are not fish food yet. When they emerge from the 1st, 2nd, 3rd instar stages, they are.

But anyhow, yeah, kick over some rocks and see what's crawling around and use flies that look like that if you're nymphing. If the fish are surface feeding, look in the air up and down the shoreline for clouds of flying insects and see what they look like.

Flies are given goofy names because they're all just 3,000 variations on a couple-dozen fundamental patterns. Many of the names have great stories behind them, either funny or meaningful. Also, this is reinforced by fly shops who would all be out of business if people only ever bought pheasant tails and Adamses and were happy with that. If you're a newer angler, there are about 10 patterns you could stick with for your entire fly fishing career and catch just as many fish as anyone else on the river. As a local guide/tier said once, "A fish will eat a cigarette butt if you drift it right." But what fun is that?

Anyway this is all by way of saying most of the time it's not gatekeeping, it's just people who have been doing it for an awful long time and have their own jargon. Same as any other hobby.

*Edit: to wit, a woolly bugger isn't really supposed to be anything in particular. If you dead drift it, sure, it's a leech. If you put motion on it, suddenly it's a baitfish. In smaller sizes it could be a bigger nymph. :iiam: It's great!

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Stalizard posted:

my new year's resolution was i went to a fly shop that had a $5 thing of mystery flies and apparently i was the only person who had ever bought one that wasn't smart enough to hold it up to the light to see if i could get a good idea of which flies were in the lil mystery tub. the important thing is that it wasn't all zebra midges, and the other important thing is that the fly shop had that orvis case that you can use to pre-tie a bunch of double droppers. The guy even joked with me that the best place to tie up flies was on your couch the night before, as far away from the water conditions as possible. Just throw a hares ear with a zebra nymph on the end, how hard could it be??

At some point this year I would like to learn how to tie a bead head prince nymph, though, so if you guys have a video you like that helps me do that i'd be much obliged

Charlie Craven is my go to for fly tying videos (and books). Here’s a prince nymph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Cr_kp0ZbQ

This fly is also in his beginner book, which I highly recommend.