Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

I'm gonna set my vise up for the first time this upcoming week after I get some thread and some wire for wooly buggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
That's really cool! I'm now very curious about responsible feather harvesting.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
After goring a few fish who swallowed my flies real deep, I've debarbed my stuff. I caught my personal best immediately after and didn't have any trouble keeping it; that made me feel even better about it. However I did the same to my wife's hook on a spinner, and it kept allowing her worms to fall off.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I meant rod/reel; thanks, I'll have to find some of those hooks.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

I'm doing a thing! Took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure out how to load my bobbin, but I'm on my way.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Forgive my double post, but I have breaking news!
I present the Wu Tang Wooly Bugger, made exclusively from whatever random stuff I had.

It sure ain't neat, and it sure ain't pretty, but it's a start!

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I'm kind of expecting it to unravel when cast, because I'm far from certain I did the whip finish correctly.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Anyone have a hot source for picking up a bunch of fly hooks, or should I just continue to buy the mustad packets at the shop?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

I kept breaking the little feathers I was trying to use to add the wooly leggy fuzz. Internet was out so I was just freestyling it. I picked up some beads, different threads, and some olive colored materials to play with. I also got some nymph hooks, to try making some of those.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Looks good! Maybe I'll have to try to do something like that. What hooks you using?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
That sounds like an awesome idea.

Dr. Ozzie: those are gorgeous. I have to go tie a few buggers now.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
What do ye fly tyers think of the UV hardened clearcoat stuff? I saw it used in a video and it looks pretty neat, but the pricetag at the shop made me think twice about picking some up.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
It's pretty similar to the one I got. I've got no complaints with this one so far.
Terra Rotary Vise

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I'm still too new to know what's what, but I'm certain someone will have something rad to do with them. I have another birdgoon sending me some molt feathers to mess with.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
A birdgoon sent me some stuff! I'm excited to work with these neat colors. The short feathers at the bottom I know will work for snazzy tails; what should I use the longer ones for?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Lmfao
Fly tying classes start in January!

I can't want!

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 6, 2019

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Is coffee used because it's a potent scent in general, or because fish are specifically attracted to it?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Those look legit!

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Check out Tightlines, InTheRiffle, and Kim Misiura on Youtube for fly tying tutorials that are laid back and well done. (I tried to link them but it kept loving the links up)

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Nope, and life crap got in the way of me attending those classes I was so excited for. Wouldn't suggest letting some dipshit without insurance back into your car. I'll have some catching up to do prepping for my first spring of fishing! Its not all bad news, however. My new ride is much better suited for hauling kayaks and poles.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 14, 2020

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Those definitely look like they'll catch fish; hell yeah.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I'm doing weekly classes with Project Healing Waters, starting last week. First, we are building rods from blanks; last week we attached the guides, eyelets, and tiptop with rubber bands at the appropriate spaces and marked the spline on each rod segment. This week we are wrapping those with line and lacquering over them.

After we have the rods built, we move on to fly tying. We'll also be practicing casting, I imagine. Eventually we start doing fishing outings, and one is apparently at the state hatchery. I'm super pumped and ready for some warmer weather.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Did they not survive fishchompin's?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Ahhhhh I want to get into rod building so badly. That is really cool. Let me know if you'd ever be receptive to being commissioned to build one for a goon.

One of the instructors is fitting the handles on the bottom piece of the rod for us to save us what is apparently a serious headache, so I won't quite be an expert. If you start in on building a rod, let me know and I'll gladly impart any knowledge I manage to retain! I leave in a few hours to start attaching those guides.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Doubleposting in the name of progress!

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
You can tie flies if you have like 2 inches of a table edge accessible. They little man!
My whole tying setup fits in a single shoebox, vice and materials included.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Nice!
Don't neglect roll casting; it's easy and super useful, if less impressive looking than the other casts. 100% suggest tying a bit of yarn to your leader and practicing in the yard.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Apok is the hero we (don't) deserve.

Fly tiers; there are different types of thread, some made of a bunch of little threads. Is there a general rule governing when you want X type of thread? Do you have a size/type that is your "main" thread for general use?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Thanks!
edit: I also found a chart, as mine were in denier:

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 22, 2020

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Man I remember having trouble getting the whip finish down last year, but I brutalized a decent looking first attempt at a helgrammite repeatedly trying to finish it.

I have the tool and watched a bunch of videos and have no idea what to do differently. I think failure usually occurred on the second or third wrap, when the thread comes loose from the little arm on the tool.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I'll look into that, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Anyone ever made their own squirrel zonkers for fly tying? I'm amassing a number of tails and have them in the freezer until I decide how to handle them.