Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

the yeti posted:

Is there a lost wax casting analogue for when you’re out to make molds instead of a positive of the design?

3D Printer? I'll print some molds if someone wants to test out the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I would not turn down a test mold, but I want to get some experience before I ask anyone to go to the trouble of making one.

It's like zero trouble. I print a ridiculous amount of garbage that is prototypes of toys for the kiddo.

What is your temperature range? My quick google says plastisol, 350F? Do you typically heat the mold then inject the plastisol hot? Or heat the plastisol and inject?

I've got two main plastics I use, I'll do prototype #1 in a lower temp material then I'll do the second one in high temp. It's technically above the rated temp but worth a try.

LingcodKilla posted:

Imagine asking a real company for a 6” penis mold.

Lemme see if I can find a nerd to 3d model the :frogout: frog, I'd fish with it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

So, uh, how bout them dick lures?

I'll make a mold. Find me a photo/something and I'll hire some poor fucker on Fiverr to turn it into a 3d model. My 3d modelling skills are industrial, I have no idea how to actually sculpt something.

I have like 15 gallons of Smooth-On resin too, but I think it'll be the wrong durometer.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

Most open pour molds I see being fancy are your big swimbaits. There is some fancy af poo poo happening in that realm and the flat bit on top makes little to no difference with that style lure. Capsuling, easier layering, painting molds beforehand, etc.

Also, if you're going to try 3d printing a mold, the nozzle tips are a standard 5/8ths inch.

Swimbaits, as in poo poo like this? I watched a dude on the "World's Worst Fishing" YouTube channel. Swimbaits are new to me, I've always been a rapala-spinner-ice fishing guy.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Test run #1. Picked up some FusionX on Amazon in a generic brown color with glittery bits mixed in. I found a generic swimbait on Grabcad, turned it into a mold and printed it in PLA, my cheapest and least temperature resistant type of plastic. Layer height is .15mm, not the finest I can go but about as detailed as I usually worry about. Overall length of the mold is about 6.5", finished lure size is 5.9".

Then I applied mold release. (Baby powder)

I microwaved two cubes, took about 2 minutes. Don't tell my wife I used her nice kitchen stuff... The pour was uneventful.

And there it is after about 20 minutes of cool time. The mold looks fine, I didn't get any distortion or anything. Detail is good enough to see the eye of the lure and also the layer lines from the 3d printer. No issues with release at all.

In hindsight I should have picked a lure with a stouter tail, oh well, I can rig up a stinger on it. It's super floppy. Pretty much find any 3d model and I can turn it into a mold and use this or the injector method. I'm going to look into the injection method some more, I'd really love to make some mayfly larvae for perch fishing.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I hope somebody else will chime in because I have no idea. Still going to use them in some capacity!

I see wing cases, wings, tails, nymph bodies, and spinner decoration. Not sure how these would hackle into a spiral. We've gotten spoiled by amazing hackles in the last 10 years. In recent years instagram has shown us hyper realistic flies that probably catch less fish than ridiculous chicken feather flies from the 1950's. I've caught more trout on a basic boring nymph than any other fly pattern.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Triple postin' because I just got a shipment of 10 5g dick lures with which I will make at least one DICK TROLL.

Why would you fish with anything else?

Get some tinsel on the trebles...

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Component items for the DICK TROLL are beginning to trickle in. Stupid global pandemic disrupting the stupid supply chain for my dumb project! :argh:

It's really hard when the supply chain gets so long. Hopefully you don't get the shaft with your orders.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Yooper, you fish walleye, right? What kind of tackle and terminal rigs do you like for that? I know that the Lindy rig is a popular choice and the walking sinker is more or less designed specifically for slow-trolling them, but I don't know much more than that. Walters are such a huge fishery in so many places and I know hardly anything about them. Also a good friend just moved to Ann Arbor and has suggested a Great Lakes trip, so I may be making my first trip to the upper Midwest at some point.

It follows cycles depending on time of the year. Opener finds a lot of people just trolling rapalas along the breaks, diving raps, or jigs bounced on the bottom. Once that cools down then crawler harnesses, leech rigs, and jigs with a crawler do pretty well. After that poo poo slows down a lot of people switch to either Smallmouth Bass or rig for the salmon but it's been for poo poo these past years. Come fall the bite picks up but I don't really fish it then so not sure what they use.

Lindy seems really big in other areas but in my area there's a few places who make poo poo like that locally. I can remember going to garages with my dad and picking out all sorts of tackle.

Focus on Lindy rigs, bottom bouncers, jigs, and rapalas that are bigger than what you'd think. Leeches and night crawlers are king, but occasionally they want a minnow. Most reliable bait used to be a perch eye but the perch numbers aren't what they used to be.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone have any resources for stamping brass lure bodies? I'm looking at using brass roll stock or bar stock, punching then embossing.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Blacksmithing thread gave me a couple of ideas. I've got some presses near me I can use but I need to get a good text on what tonnage is required and some tooling design. Making it isn't an issue, I just don't want to make it wrong and have to make it again.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dangerllama posted:

It’s a laptop duster, apparently.

I’m going to use it to make dozens of the extremely difficult to tie and not at all controversial Mop Fly.

gently caress yah. I'm going to tie some up and go on a strictly ridiculous fly fishing binge just to gently caress with the uptight assholes at the trout hole. Then after I catch my limit I'll switch to a spinner for some added icing.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Rotten Cookies posted:

Wow dang I completely misread your post the first time and thought you wanted to make something like this. My bad.

https://www.machinemfg.com/punching-tonnage-calculation/

Scroll down a bit and you can get some numbers for tonnage to punch out brass, as well as some numbers for clearance on dies.

Nice, thanks dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ambrose Burnside posted:

When I look up jigging raps, almost all of them have what looks like integrated/cast-in-place hooks, at least at the front/back. Or did you mean something more like this-

(not saying that's specifically a jigging rap) where eye-loops are provided for furnishing your own hooks?

e: actually, looking at bulk lead jigging lures, they all seem to have a crimp somewhere on the hook-line-

is there a slot that that the hook is placed into and then crimped to fix it? I wouldn't think you'd need the crimp with a pure cast-in-place arrangement.

Like Ghostnuke said you can remove the front hook, the moonshine jigging lures are like that.

Compared to an actual jigging Rapala.