Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Any recommendations for a babby's first fly rod kit? Have a decent amount of experience with conventional(?) fishing

I've been eyeballing this one https://www.fishwest.com/redington-path-ii-outfit-with-crosswater-reel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Dangerllama posted:

You might also check out the Orvis Clearwater kits too. What’s your budget, and how serious are you about getting into the money sink hobby?

Don't really have a budget. I mean I'm not looking to drop 1,500 on a rod but I'm willing to fork out some extra money for something that will last. I suppose about about as serious as a beginner could be. I've got quite the collection of lures for my bait caster and spinning rods if that says anything.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Just bought a rod, anyone have any resource they could recommend for the basics? Casting, when to use which flies, etc, literally any video at all that ins't chock full of bullshit

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Dangerllama posted:

Check out my post on page 1 of the new fishing thread. Pete Kutzer and Bumcast are two great sources for casting instruction. Learn the standard cast, water haul, and roll cast. Those will comprise 99.9% of the casting you do. Flies will depend on where you live, what you want to catch, and how you want to catch it (dries vs nymphs vs streamers). You’ll catch fewer fish on dries but it’ll teach you how to cast, and the rigging is much more straightforward, so I’d start there.

What outfit did you get?

Thanks

Bought an 8.5' 5 weight Orvis clearwater kit