Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The second season of this show is out (I think it's technically the second part of season 1, or at least part of the same production run as season one) but at the same time it feels like this show has really come into it's own and found its tone.

I would go so far as to say episode 4 of the season/14 overall may be the first really touching one of the run.
It's better than the later parts of futurama, but maybe not quite as good outright as some of the earlier seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I'm watching the first episode of part 2 and I swear I've seen this before....is this new or am I going crazy?

e: nm, I'm stupid and somehow I started playing it 6 episodes in to part 1

Grem fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 21, 2019

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
I'm only two episodes in but feel a little more optimistic about it so far. They seem to be starting from a more interesting premise, but most the jokes are still falling flat for me. So far the format seems to be sticking more to the on-going story than standalone episodes which separates it from Simpsons / Futurama plot wise.

(Not a major spoiler, episode 1) I was hoping they'd go a little longer until they brought Elfo back, hopefully they improved him a bit since he seemed more like a creepy Ralph Wiggum in the first season.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
“Bite my shiny metal axe.”

Holy poo poo I never knew the King’s voice actor was Bender and now I can’t stop mentally replacing him with Bender in all the scenes.

Edit: not that I’m complaining

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Watched up to episode 6 so far.
Much better than the first season.
Hope it ends strong.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

This season was better than the first one, and I am really annoyed there was so few episodes. The ending of the Steamland episode had me like :aaaaa:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Watched like 4 episodes, I still like it, but I think in general a lot of its problems stem from a lack of... comedic timing? It can be very funny at times, but there's just something missing from the overall package - like you have Matt Berry playing a fuckin' pig, I feel that should be a lot funnier than it actually is? It's not even necessarily a problem with the writing, but it's hard to pinpoint exactly what isn't quite working.

I have to say though that most of my issues with it are lessened just 'cause of how goddamn pretty it is. All the scenes in hell looked fantastic.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I've watched the first six episodes and I still enjoy the show. I got a big laugh at Pop's last line in episode five and Slappo dying in episode six.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Stop throwing my cocaine in the fire! I don't have a problem!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
In episode four I spotted a holophonor in the basement where Zod stashed the bear skin. Cute.

Thus far, this is significantly better than the first season, which was only okay. It's getting a genuine laugh from me every episode, rather than just bemused smiles. For me, that's a lot. If this had been run as a single season, it would have been much more well-received.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I love Gunderson's in Steamland.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Finished the season and now I want more. Good cliffhanger.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Look out! Rye bread!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also worth nothing that this is still the first season, Netflix just delayed the second half for some reason. What this means for the production schedule, I don't know, but AFAIK these episodes were produced years ago.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh poo poo! Elfo and the ogres, drat funny stuff.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Strangely I loved the first season but found these new eps lacking. While the first season was crammed with gags in a way that reminded me of the first two Futurama seasons, the gags in these new episodes felt sparse, it felt too invested in the story arc rather than the episodic bits (some built up bits just dying out like the gout), and too much earnest dialogue. It came across as either the scripts were rushed and weren't fleshed out, or the writers got carried away with the novelty of the seasonal story arc and leaned too hard into plot. Maybe it will grow on me since most people seem to enjoy it more than the first season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Breakfast All Day posted:

Strangely I loved the first season but found these new eps lacking. While the first season was crammed with gags in a way that reminded me of the first two Futurama seasons, the gags in these new episodes felt sparse, it felt too invested in the story arc rather than the episodic bits (some built up bits just dying out like the gout), and too much earnest dialogue. It came across as either the scripts were rushed and weren't fleshed out, or the writers got carried away with the novelty of the seasonal story arc and leaned too hard into plot. Maybe it will grow on me since most people seem to enjoy it more than the first season.

Everyone complain that the gags in the first half were weak sauce and had few laughs, i think the gags are tighter in the second half even with a more serious tone. Some of the visual gags have been really good. But i'm only on the one after the orges.

It's much less Lucy gags this time around.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think why part 2 works better is that there's no need to establish any characters so they can just focus on jokes and moving the meta plot along.

I;m betting there are going to be a bunch of theories saying that this world is a post apocalyptic Earth, with Steamland being the last place with technology. Also the Steamland people were jerks, but I'm wondering where the connection between Odval's Cult/Secret Society and them. Maybe he's from there, that would explain a lot. Though Maru and them are not in cahoots at all.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
"At least the reptile sex was quiet"

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
I liked the description of the elf vs. squirrel wrestling

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Logic Wizard

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Boris Galerkin posted:

“Bite my shiny metal axe.”

Holy poo poo I never knew the King’s voice actor was Bender and now I can’t stop mentally replacing him with Bender in all the scenes.

Edit: not that I’m complaining

:monocle:
That makes that line all the better IMO.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

:monocle:
That makes that line all the better IMO.

do people really not know John DiMaggio's voice?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Was the waitress at the coffee house Lauren Tom?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The only one of his I've heard that wasn't an instant giveaway was Professor Drakken.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

Also worth nothing that this is still the first season, Netflix just delayed the second half for some reason. What this means for the production schedule, I don't know, but AFAIK these episodes were produced years ago.

Yeah which is going to make the next batch better, hopefully as the team will have a better handle on what worked and what didn't.

Still this second half was definitely stronger. The show definitely seems at it's strongest when it's carrying an ongoing plot, but we also had some really strong one offs in this batch (Ursula, Dreamworld)

The ending makes me wonder if they're going to make Dagda more nuanced like they did Zog by the end of the first season. Zog started out as an outright villain but morphed into a sympathetic but very flawed character once his motivations were revealed

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
It feels like they made some adjustments even if the episodes all got produced at the same time. Elfo and Luci both were way more likable as a whole this season, probably because they didn’t get overused. I enjoyed it as a whole, even if it’s not Futurama level. The on-going plot does keep things moving at least plus the characters / places established makes me want to see more of the show.

I wish Hell had a bit more screentime, I really like the design of it and the demons on the show

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't watch too many animated shows. The only thing I've watched that he's done is Futurama and now Disenchantment. poo poo happens.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Not everyone can find a Elf that wants to have sex with us!

I enjoyed how much more Derek we got this season.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A few days ago I would have had no idea who that guy you mentioned was. Some of us just don’t care at all about stuff like this :shrug:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Who is Elfo's mom again? I know she's not an elf.

I wonder what the treasure Leavo was looking for. Or why the Ogre queen let them go. Not sure if I missed those details or they're cliffhangers for season 3.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Watched the first 5 new episodes, and while it is a bit better than the first set, it still feels kinda blah.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Panfilo posted:

I wonder what the treasure Leavo was looking for. Or why the Ogre queen let them go. Not sure if I missed those details or they're cliffhangers for season 3.
We don't know who his mother is, but it seems pretty clear from that one episode it's (spoilered to be safe) the Ogre queen. She instantly knew his name, she was willing to act outside of the norms of Ogre society, Elfo's dad freaked out when he found out Elfo might be going to the Ogre Kingdom, etc. It's not guaranteed that that's who his mother is but imo it seems pretty obvious.

Also Leavo's treasure likely has a lot to do with, if it isn't explicitly, the underground elf kingdom the team falls into at the end of the last episode. Maybe the elves are going to be a massive force or something and that's why the elf king was excited to find out that Leavo had an idea as to where the treasure was.

I really wanna know what the weapon was that they talked about dropping off in the steamland episode, and what the fallout from that episode's gonna be.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Panfilo posted:

I'm gonna say they don't know. Everything about elfo seems written in a slapdash way where they haven't decided anything yet.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
It's pretty obvious Elfo's mom is the queen ogre. Elfo even has the same type of nose as ogres.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Whalley posted:

I really wanna know what the weapon was that they talked about dropping off in the steamland episode, and what the fallout from that episode's gonna be.

They answered this 30 years ago on the Simpson's. It was the gun.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gaunab posted:

It's pretty obvious Elfo's mom is the queen ogre. Elfo even has the same type of nose as ogres.

Wonder why he Elf sized instead of in between.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ninurta posted:

They answered this 30 years ago on the Simpson's. It was the gun.

You mean a pearl handled, snubnosed magic wand.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
this show gets better when you stop thinking about it as a comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Whalley posted:

We don't know who his mother is, but it seems pretty clear from that one episode it's (spoilered to be safe) the Ogre queen. She instantly knew his name, she was willing to act outside of the norms of Ogre society, Elfo's dad freaked out when he found out Elfo might be going to the Ogre Kingdom, etc. It's not guaranteed that that's who his mother is but imo it seems pretty obvious.

Also Leavo's treasure likely has a lot to do with, if it isn't explicitly, the underground elf kingdom the team falls into at the end of the last episode. Maybe the elves are going to be a massive force or something and that's why the elf king was excited to find out that Leavo had an idea as to where the treasure was.

Ohhh that makes sense.