Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Breakfast All Day posted:

Judging by this thread I probably liked the first season more than just about anyone, but couldn't even finish an episode of this one. It's weird to feel like you simultaneously have more attention budget for the show than the show does for itself and don't care enough about what's happening to follow. My only thought was wondering if it's better or worse than current Simpsons.

I feel like it's better than current Simpsons, simply by virtue of each episode not being the exact same. At least when compared to the random episodes of The Simpsons I watched from the latest seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Judging by this thread I probably liked the first season more than just about anyone, but couldn't even finish an episode of this one. It's weird to feel like you simultaneously have more attention budget for the show than the show does for itself and don't care enough about what's happening to follow. My only thought was wondering if it's better or worse than current Simpsons.

ooo, that is a tough one.

I'm leaning toward worse than current Simpsons actually. Current Simpsons at least tries to tell jokes and is not serialized (although there are an increasing number of 2-parters).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
One thing that stood out for me this season was the "revelation" that trolls and elves had a common ancestor. Uh, were we not supposed to have already guessed that the two groups of people who are identical except for their skin and nostrils were somehow related to each other?

Also, "The Very Thing" the elves had been on about for three seasons is some sort of slime juice that turns elves into trolls. What the gently caress?

Also, it has the ability to give Beanie superpowers. And we see her drink a bottle of it and it does...nothing.

Just loving great. More bullshit with no payoff.

It's weird to feel like you simultaneously have more attention budget for the show than the show does for itself and don't care enough about what's happening to follow.

I know what you mean.

I've never seen a show with so many plots that go nowhere or simply vanish. There was a blink and you'll miss it joke about that cat from last season which could talk in one episode being dead. Like, "Hey, we know all these plots are silly, we're in on the joke, too."

Motherfuckers, you're the ones who put all that pointless bullshit in there in the first place. You don't get to pull that poo poo.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Was Lucy's character always so insufferable? I seem to recall liking the work Eric Andre did the first few seasons, but this last one was just all sound effects that went on way too long.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
It's absolutely insane how much they waste Eric Andre. Like let him just go bananas and write some jokes or just improv. It can't be worse than this

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I was going to rant about the show but I can't even muster up the effort

That's saying something

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the animation and art is generally excellent on this season

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

punishedkissinger posted:

the animation and art is generally excellent on this season

For sure.

But the show overall is also just so bafflingly inept.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

It's absolutely insane how much they waste Eric Andre. Like let him just go bananas and write some jokes or just improv. It can't be worse than this

This show actually was my first major exposure to him, and after his muted performance as Lucci, it was a hell of a surprise when I later started watching Eric Andre Show reruns and could see what kind of a major anarchic force he could be. "Waste" almost feels like an understatement here.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m gonna skip a bunch of posts so I don’t spoil myself since I just started s4e1 but holy heck how does this episode not have a 2 minute recap. Literally every scene change I’m like “who is this” or “when did this happen” or “why are we here” which I guess just goes to show how forgettable S3 was.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I was going to rant about the show but I can't even muster up the effort

That's saying something

Yeah, I haven't tried looking, but I feel like this show is ripe for a "why doesn't this show work" YouTube deep-dive video essay...

... but I don't think anyone can bring themselves to watch this show multiple times.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m on episode five and it feels like this was written by someone who hadn’t watched like .. the last two seasons or something.

Like what even is this.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Martytoof posted:

I’m on episode five and it feels like this was written by someone who hadn’t watched like .. the last two seasons or something.

Like what even is this.

An extremely bad show

It's interesting that there's barely any reviews or trivia for it on IMDB. It feels like a show that in theory would have shitloads of that sorta thing, but nothing

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The puppet is so stupid I hope they forget it exists and don’t revisit it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I haven't bothered watching the newest season but previous seasons felt like a group of comedy writers write half a page of the script then pass it to a group of BIG MYSTERY writers who writes the other half and so on and so forth until you have a full script of lovely half assed jokes saturated with mysteries and dropped plotlines

EDIT: Sorry, let me clarify. By a group of comedy writers, I mean a really bad group of comedy writers

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 19, 2022

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Just want to confirm my partner and I went looking for a critique on YT and basically there was one terrible looking video by someone who apparently hates everything (their "Why the first HellBoy movie is BAD" video appeared in the sidebar), and then one person who apparently posts dozens of positive reviews about characters, etc. And seemed to be basically it.

Calaveron posted:

EDIT: Sorry, let me clarify. By a group of comedy writers, I mean a really bad group of comedy writers

Yeah... I think I might have cracked the ghost of a smile two or three times in the 6 or so episodes I've watched so far.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I’m gonna skip a bunch of posts so I don’t spoil myself since I just started s4e1 but holy heck how does this episode not have a 2 minute recap. Literally every scene change I’m like “who is this” or “when did this happen” or “why are we here” which I guess just goes to show how forgettable S3 was.

It didn’t click until Lucy got his head plopped off by the elevator that I was rewatching the previous season and not watching the new one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Martytoof posted:

The puppet is so stupid I hope they forget it exists and don’t revisit it

Ahahahahah!

How do you feel about several entire puppet episodes? How about more puppets made of major season one villains somehow?

How do you feel about all the puppet plotlines going absolutely nowhere and never getting mentioned again?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

How about more puppets made of major season one villains somehow?

This made zero sense whatsoever too.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
What didn't make sense? That Cloyd and Becky were inexplicably using crone arms to search for magic that they already knew Bean has because they are working with Dagmar who knows that and had an entire episode about Bean's special power revolve around them or that they turned into puppets in 2 seconds to run around a new castle that didn't exist before that episode looking for something mysterious enough it's very concept hasn't been explained after 40 episodes?

Are you suggesting that it could be confusing that the magic that is apparently at the center of everything is still unexplained too? Is that what they are looking for down there? The source of it? If the source of it is in Dreamland like Alva and everyone says then what are the hell bargains and spiked crowns in Maru about? Who used magic against the Dreamland elves if Dreamland is the source of magic? Why were Cloyd, Becky and Freckles unable to find the hidden elf castle if Dagmar spent years with the trogs in the hidden tunnels of what was revealed to be a not-hidden-at-all elf castle? Did the writers just make it up 30 episodes in and need to reorder some things to invent basically new settings and storylines that just reference older themes that have been poorly hinted at and not explained for years now?

I should stop myself before I write 10,000 words of conflicting nonsensical questions this show isn't answering.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 20, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

oh I'm sorry what an awkward typo.

I typed "puppet" when I meant to say "show"

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Its like the writers saw JJ abrams mystery box ted talk from a decade ago but still couldn't even pull off that one trick pony

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
When is the last time Matt Groening created a good show? All I can think of is the early seasons of Futurama before it was cancelled.

Maybe time for him to retire at this point...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't think there's a good term for it, but that scene with Bean and Aoyade's character where she's like "i want an explanation and a beer and where's my beer" or whatever -- it's that lazy "homer blurting out something stupid" kind of joke that I think started being an acceptable replacement for funny jokes in later seasons of the Simpsons and the Futurama revival in writers rooms, and is just super pervasive here too. It's precisely the kind of complaint I have but can't really articulate coherently when someone asks me why I didn't like the Futurama revival, or like.. whatever is happening in this show.

Only I mean in this show it's just the tip of the iceberg where with the Futurama revival I thought it was kind of like.. not the only thing wrong with it, but pretty much the only thing I really remember.

Sorry not trying to start a futurama thing in here, but that's just kind of what came into my head when we started talking about MG's involvement, but also I think the showrunning and writing might have a bunch of crossover on the two shows.

I've done very little actual research on that though, so not gospel.

I think Luci and Elfo's stage argument in episode five is like a perfect summary of how I feel about this show lol

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I finished the season, and my main gripe is that they ended it on a cliffhanger that most likely won't get any kind of resolution. But, I was happy/sad to see Bean reunited with her mermaid lover, and it was nice to see King Zøg do something besides be a joke. (And a bad one at that.)

What really sucks is, unlike everybody on this thread, I actually like the world they have built here. Sure, the jokes don't always land, but I think the worldbuilding here was pretty well done, even if parts of it were a little predictable (like the elves and the trogs sharing an ancestry). I care about a lot of the characters. Seeing Bear Boy unwittingly nearly reunited with his mom was sweet, Bean re-finds love, Zøg has emerged from his breakdown... hell, I want to see Freckles the puppet burned alive, which means that I care enough about him to actually hate him and want him to suffer for my entertainment.

So... hot take: it was pretty good, and I'm sad that it will probably end here. My complaint that it ended on a cliffhanger has been my chief complaint about TV shows over the last couple of decades, though. It's still annoying, but this isn't the first show to do it, and it won't be the last.

FINISH THE STORY AT THE END OF A SEASON, assholes. If you want me to come back next season, maybe try just entertain me this season. Do that, and I'll come back. Even in serials, season-ending cliffhangers are annoying.

A lot of the complaining I see in this thread seems to be along the lines of, "This guy created Futurama, which I love, so why isn't this doing everything Futurama did right, because Futurama was great and Futurama was literally a Rama for the Future--why wasn't this Magicorama, Fantasyorama, or at least Lordoftheringsorama?" And as a fan of Futurama, I get it. That show was brilliant... 75% of the time. Some of those special movie things that were released as mini-seasons or whatever... I'm not sure how those worked, but they were done after the main series was cancelled the first time, and I think before it was revived on Comedy Central? You know what I'm talking about. Some of that is just hard to watch.

Anyway, I think a lot of Futurama fans gave this show a chance because of its pedigree, and the art style certainly falls in line. If I weren't a fan of Futurama, I probably wouldn't have given this show a chance. But I gave up on this being anything like Futurama pretty quickly (maybe around the time I noticed that it was clearly a serial format), and when I stopped waiting for the show to conform to my expectations, I found myself enjoying it for the most part. It's not a perfect show, but I don't really get all the hate.

That said, to each their own. I liked this last part more than I expected myself to. I really feel like the world finally came together... and then cliffhanger, end. Man, I hate that. At least on Amazon's version of The Tick, when the season ended on a cliffhanger, we had The Terror look Arthur right in the face and yell, "CLIFFHANGER!!!!!" That's the only time I've enjoyed a cliffhanger ending.

If there's more Disenchantment, I'll watch it. If most of y'all don't watch it, fine--that leaves more for me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

tarlibone posted:

A lot of the complaining I see in this thread seems to be along the lines of, "This guy created Futurama, which I love, so why isn't this doing everything Futurama did right, because Futurama was great and Futurama was literally a Rama for the Future--why wasn't this Magicorama, Fantasyorama, or at least Lordoftheringsorama?" And as a fan of Futurama, I get it. That show was brilliant... 75% of the time. Some of those special movie things that were released as mini-seasons or whatever... I'm not sure how those worked, but they were done after the main series was cancelled the first time, and I think before it was revived on Comedy Central? You know what I'm talking about. Some of that is just hard to watch.

I think this is unbelievably unfair and people have said over and over why they don't like it in the thread. It's nothing to do with it not being Futurama.
It's the utterly disjointed and bad storytelling.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I love the setting, I like the characters and the show looks great.

I just don't need the first 4 years of a show to not explain basic plot points it's constantly referencing

LOST opened the hatch in the second season. They weren't still teasing it at Year 4 while the hatch location and appearance constantly changed due to the island evolving while introducing six other people also related to the unexplained hatch in unexplained ways

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 21, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean I fundamentally agree that the world they’re trying to build has a lot of interesting things going on. It should be in service of a greater story though, and it doesn’t feel like that part is executed well. Maybe this is one of those things where they tie everything together in a coherent package in a theoretical season 6 or 7, but right now it just seems like the plot is being driven by the output of one of those funny computer-AI-writes-a-script things.

I’m being somewhat facetious and I’m sure they’re TRYING. I fully appreciate that everyone has different tastes and I’m super happy that someone can get something out of this show which isn’t bitterly hatewatching and rushing to the internet to complain, like myself. If you like the show then I am genuinely pleased :)

It’s a big miss for me though for reasons other than it’s not Futurama. But I also argued above that it’s exhibiting the same things that started to turn me off about Futurama near the end, so in a way your premise is wrong — MG *IS* doing it again :smug:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

I think this is unbelievably unfair and people have said over and over why they don't like it in the thread. It's nothing to do with it not being Futurama.
It's the utterly disjointed and bad storytelling.

So if I do a search in this thread for references to Futurama, I'll be the only one mentioning it? One doesn't need to say "I don't like this because it's not as much like Futurama as I expected it to be" for that not to at least be a part of what's bothering people. Just look at how often that show is mentioned in this thread. If complaints about this show have nothing to do with Futurama, then why does it come up so often?

It's like when you find out someone hates the band Poison, and they bring up hundreds of specific complaints about nearly all aspects of the band and its music. But, of everyone involved in the band, they mention C.C. DeVille by far the most. And not just, "I hate that guy" or "he's a poo poo guitarist." They complain about everything. But C.C. is the only one that comes up every single time. So hearing that for a long time, you might eventually say, "So, why do you hate C.C. so much?" And when they say, "What? That's unbelievably unfair to me! I've made it clear why I hate the band. It's nothing to do with C.C. Deville!", just how hard would your eyes roll?

I'm not saying all of the complains are because people expected Futurama set in Oz or whatever, but the notion that it's got nothing to do with it doesn't ring true to me given the fact that it keeps coming up over and over and over again. Whether conscious of it or not, I think a fair number of people expected one thing, got another, and kept thinking that sooner or later, the show would find that magic that Groening's earlier work did, and that vibe would carry over to this one. But it never did, and the vibe it did find is dissonant with Futurama's vibe.

Is that what everybody who hates the show thinks? No, of course not. This show is one of those that a bunch of people just won't get into. But Futurama comes up an awful lot for something that has nothing to do with people's complaints.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

tarlibone posted:

Is that what everybody who hates the show thinks? No, of course not. This show is one of those that a bunch of people just won't get into. But Futurama comes up an awful lot for something that has nothing to do with people's complaints.

Because it's made by exactly the same people.

It's fair to say "this show is poo poo while futurama was good" because it's made by the same people and not be straight up saying "I wanted this show to be like futurama"

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
people mention the Simpsons constantly too because Groening is known for precisely two things

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
This show should totally have been Fantasirama, and you can tell they sorta tried to do it some times but would always go back to the well of lovely storytelling and overarching plot and mystery boxes.
Like in the first season there's an episode where what'sherface apprentices under the executioner, and it's a fine enough premise with jokes and scenes that kinda approached funny if the writers actually committed but then no it went back to trying to write storytelling checks that the writers could not cash.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

This show should totally have been Fantasirama, and you can tell they sorta tried to do it some times but would always go back to the well of lovely storytelling and overarching plot and mystery boxes.
Like in the first season there's an episode where what'sherface apprentices under the executioner, and it's a fine enough premise with jokes and scenes that kinda approached funny if the writers actually committed but then no it went back to trying to write storytelling checks that the writers could not cash.

Yeah 100%. They had a good idea and made a good sandbox to play around in and squandered it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I just finished the last episode and I guess I’m not going to bother criticizing the show anymore since I’m mostly preaching to the converted,.

I have two questions, and I want to phrase them as “did I miss this” and not as a nitpick of writing because I’m willing to believe I just kind of got bored and skipped or forgot some scene in my haste to complain loudly on the internet.

When did Derek return to the castle? Wasn’t he on the pirate ship?

And I honestly don’t remember how far steamland is from dreamland. Seems like Zog and Oddval just kind of ride their horses there in 45 minutes.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

tarlibone posted:

As Taear pointed out, it's really hard to not compare this show to Futurama given the overlapping writers, voice actors, and design. It's also, for adult animation, a solid touch stone to compare most shows against, as most folks here have seen. From what I've read it's less an expectation that it's the same show as Futurama, and more just people bummed the show isn't a good show, like Futurama was. A lot of what you're reacting to is folks just thinking the show is bad and just grabbing for the nearest show that was good and going "man, it should have just been like this". If the cast and writers of Rick n' Morty made a new show and it sucked, you'd probably have folks going "huh, they probably shoulda stuck to the formula eh".

quote:

What really sucks is, unlike everybody on this thread, I actually like the world they have built here.

Like idk man, the consensus I've read seems to be that most folks dig the visuals, and felt like the tone had potential, but it's all getting squandered in twists land. Actually read the thread before ya start complaining about other peoples thoughts. There's been plenty of compliments paid to the world they're trying to build. (IMO) What they've done with it has been so poorly rolled out tho that it's just miserable to watch tho.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

people mention the Simpsons constantly too because Groening is known for precisely two things

Ah yes, Life is Hell and the cover art of Frank Zappa Plays the Music of Frank Zappa: A Memorial Tribute.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
disclaimer: anybody can like this show and I'd never try and talk someone out of it.

but the idea that people don't like this bc it's not Futurama is completely off base.

I'd say that one of the arguments people are making is that things in Disenchantment are too much like Futurama. they're mutable in a way they shouldn't be in a serial. an example from Futurama:

Bender generally runs between suicidal and resigned, with a side order of cowardice. (this isn't plot inconsistency; he's just a guy with a lot of issues.) robots can and do die. oh poo poo, suddenly in this one episode, Bender is lording it over everybody because robots can't die. but the plot twist is... he can die! also, the previously coldly calculating Hermes so loved this baby robot that he saved him. none of this is ever mentioned again. in a later episode, Bender dies.

the setup is lazy, given the worldbuilding, but it's more forgivable in a non-serialized setting. it's Looney Tunes rules.

Disenchantment doesn't show the kind of consistency required for a serialized, stable setting. is magic rare or common? has religion just been invented or is it an oppressive force? is this other place nearby or far away? is falling off the waterfall hilarious or deadly? does [any character] have [a characteristic] or are they an unmitigated sociopath?

the writers want to have it both ways. sometimes both ways in an episode. sometimes both ways at once. sometimes a third thing that doesn't make sense. whatever is convenient for the easiest possible joke. the worldbuilding is physically very pretty, but the jokes/plot/characterizations aren't rising out of the world.

the fundamental problem isn't the the viewers think that the show should be Futurama so much as that the writers don't seem to know it isn't Futurama.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I've never been able to get into Futurama and I still don't like this loving show

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm two episodes in to the new lot and there's a noticeable drop in quality. The show has always suffered from wanting to be a sitcom AND an ongoing narrative, but this just feels disjointed. Especially since Bean's character seemed nailed down last time - Abbi Jacobson seemed a lot more confident with the role.

Also, Elfo's character development in the last season seems to have been largely undone.

An example of a show that balanced being an ongoing narrative was Blindspot, where they carefully seeded the upcoming plot points. Reminds me that I need to get round to actually finishing that show, since I missed the last season.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 21, 2022

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The problem with this show isn't that it isn't futurama, the problem with this show is they wrote it like every scene is out of order so there will be an ongoing plot in one town then they go to another town to have another plot then they have to run back to the first town to continue the first plot and every season/episode and even scene feels like someone just needed to put the scenes in order. Like the scene where they find something out will happen after they showed the thing already, or someone will die then have to come back to continue the plot then die again. Or leave in one episode then immediately come back one episode later then leave again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

tarlibone posted:

Whether conscious of it or not, I think a fair number of people expected one thing, got another

This is kinda true tbh, in that I was expecting Disenchanment to be reasonably watchable but instead it sucks rear end