Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

It’s pronounced “stience.”:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Martytoof posted:

Is there a non-"it's a TV show deal with it" reason that the Elves left their kingdom and moved to live in squalor in Dreamland after giving blood? Did I miss it? :confused:

Otherwise, this was a decent season. That said, I have a feeling I'll forget this show existed for another year in a week.

e: decent half season

I don't think you can go back once you've left? I know Elfo did but only via other people taking him back.

Calaveron posted:

It's meandering, atonal, slow, with a whole bunch of antijokes (hahaha get it, the dresses actually belong to the guy! Comedy gold!)

Wasn't him taking that dress just him deflecting from something? I didn't think they were really his.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Is there a non-"it's a TV show deal with it" reason that the Elves left their kingdom and moved to live in squalor in Dreamland after giving blood? Did I miss it? :confused:

The king and Leavo are after something hidden in Dreamland.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Martytoof posted:

Leavo left elfland on a secret quest from the elf king and searched for 30 years. He saw something in dreamland and agreed to get elf blood for the right to live in dreamland.

this was explained in about 10 seconds in the most boring episode of the season then after that the elves just kinda live in dreamland and don't seem do be doing anything at all. And what "that very thing" is is left as yet another mystery for later.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Boris Galerkin posted:

“Bite my shiny metal axe.”

Holy poo poo I never knew the King’s voice actor was Bender and now I can’t stop mentally replacing him with Bender in all the scenes.

Edit: not that I’m complaining

He's also Jake the Dog

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

The show's getting better, it's still not great, but it's expanding into some more interesting territory.

Luci is still disappointingly underwritten, he has a couple moments of development and then is just kind of there. I like his design and animation (when he sleeps like a cat he's super cute), other than that there's not much to him.

I still like Bean, I don't see her as a particularly bad or unlikable person, the world in general is cruel and unforgiving, she's just kind of along for the ride, and also an addict in need of counselling.

I still hate Elfo. His whining and passive aggression is like nails on a chalkboard (or cat claws on a brick wall). Like oh no, Bean chose her long lost mother over the stupid rear end elf. He should be grateful she went to HELL to bring back his whiny bitch rear end.

Is it me or did they only start the NO WOMEN ALLOWED stuff at the very end to contrast with Steamland, because it didn't seem like it came up before?

Derek is my fave this round, he's an oddball but he's genuinely nice. He sells the "innocent but weird" better than god drat Elfo, that's for sure. (gently caress elfo)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah Derek is probably the most likable of the cast because he's a little dumb and weird but ultimately well meaning.

I liked that we got an episode focusing on his relationship with Bean.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

dracky posted:

Is it me or did they only start the NO WOMEN ALLOWED stuff at the very end to contrast with Steamland, because it didn't seem like it came up before?

Yea I barely remember anything like that before.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Season 1, beginning:
Yes, this is pretty funny, I guess
Season 1, ending:
Yes, this is HOLY gently caress you did NOT just pass up your best friend with the purple vial of life for someone you barely even remember, holy poo poo

Season 2, beginning:
Yes, this is pretty funny, I guess
Season 2, ending:
Yes, this is pretty funny, I guess, also why can't they just cure Zog with the purple vial of life or whatever, it's not like they're short of elf blood now

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe i'll just walk into the ocean....oh wait I'm Amphibian.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Taear posted:

I don't think you can go back once you've left? I know Elfo did but only via other people taking him back.

I think that was just because the elves are isolationist and don't like mixing with the others? I did like some of the culture clash gags we got this time. Though did they all leave their kingdom to move to Dreamland, or have they split their population? It's unclear.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Leavo left elfland on a secret quest from the elf king and searched for 30 years. He saw something in dreamland and agreed to get elf blood for the right to live in dreamland.

this was explained in about 10 seconds in the most boring episode of the season then after that the elves just kinda live in dreamland and don't seem do be doing anything at all. And what "that very thing" is is left as yet another mystery for later.

In the last episode what is surrounding the evil mom?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As I said early, Dreamland has some secret that everyone is trying to uncover except for Zog. Whatever Dagmar and the Kobolds are doing underground, the Maru symbols that lead Bean earlier to the Kobolds, plus the Amphora, and whatever Leavo left for. Clearly the he and the Elf leader know what up, but they're not telling. Its certainly what causes the messed up dream aspect of Dreamland.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've seen everything but the last episode. The season felt like it had a really slow start. It feels like they're putting about as much effort into the overarching story as a normal comedy would, which is to say, not all that much. But at the same time the story is the most important part and the jokes take a distant second priority. Similar to the last season it's does eventually start to grab my interest it just takes like 2/3s of the season to do so.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It reminds me of Heroes.

The episodes weren't all that much, but they had great narrative hooks which would make you want to tune in for more. Of course, that pretty much all that show had going for it.

Disenchantment feels like that. Not much during the season, but they can tease the hell out of where the show might go next.

Blah, blah, blah, then steampunk assassins outta nowhere!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It reminds me of Heroes.

Whoa dude, we're trying to have a civil discussion here. No need to insult Disenchantment like this.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Just finished this and the music and design in episode 9 was fantastic. I hope we get to see more of other kingdoms as this goes on.

And Mark Mothersbaugh is a treasure.
Hard to believe the DEVO frontman has gone on to become such a versatile composer

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I just finished season 2 and I dont think I laughed once throughout. The finale was a huge wet fart.

This show has the exact same humour problems as modern Simpsons; jokes have no time to breath, they're surface level comedy, and generally they aren't very cleverly written.

It still feels like im watching one of the episodes of the Simpsons where the regular characters are in a fantasy story doing zany things.

The overarching story isn't very compelling either, maybe because all the characters are one dimensional and annoying?

Elfo is less annoying this season, but still maybe one of the worst cartoon characters eve designed???

3/10

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I just don't expect to laugh, it's like the Orville or Spaced or something, I'm not here to constantly be laughing out loud like in some lovely sitcom.
It feels so weird to me to see people mad that it's not funny enough.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Taear posted:

I just don't expect to laugh, it's like the Orville or Spaced or something, I'm not here to constantly be laughing out loud like in some lovely sitcom.

it's possible to make something in between this tho

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Moola posted:

it's possible to make something in between this tho

And that's pretty much what this show is

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Disenchantment feels like it wants to be more of a comedy drama then a straight comedy. It's much more invested in storytelling than Groening's previous works.

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
i cant watch this for a couple weeks, did they ever fix that weird problem where it felt like there werent enough sound effects?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like the show in general but I kind of wish that they would stop teasing out Elfo's background like this and just do an episode going over it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

underthecube posted:

i cant watch this for a couple weeks, did they ever fix that weird problem where it felt like there werent enough sound effects?

No it's still present and oddly jarring

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Taear posted:

The Orville is actually funny though, along with having a well written and interesting story.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Plus Disenchantment lacks Bortus.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Peachfart posted:

The Orville is actually funny though, along with having a well written and interesting story.

Spaced is also very funny if the weird humour is your thing

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, Disenchantment feels like it wants to be more of a comedy drama then a straight comedy. It's much more invested in storytelling than Groening's previous works.

It *wants* to be everything and won't settle on what it is. People straight up die in jokes and come back later alive, but this also wants to be some sort of heavy plot drama.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Totally, like when Zog gets shot, and the camera shot lingers on the bullet wound for a second, I straight up did not know what emotion they were going for? Is this a joke scene? Is it serious?

The tone really is all over the place and super jarring.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
It doesn't know what it wants to be. It tries to be a comedic drama with an arching story, but it regularly ignores and even forgets its own set-ups immediately after introducing them. The thing both halves of the season share is fairly strong beginnings and endings, but it's becoming increasingly apparent they aren't leading to anything with them. Remember when Elfo was concerned about who he was, since he wasn't a full-blooded elf, and how the audience has that mystery dragged on due to an assault and sudden death? His father is living a block away and they just seem to have forgotten that was a plot element. Remember when they learned Maru was behind the stonification of the lost city? Bean apparently doesn't when she's moved into Maru. So on and so forth. And many of the characters themselves feel like they've stopped having relationships with each other, with Lucy being the one with the most development this season.

I felt part 2 was worse about this because unlike the first season, which had its beginnings and endings but largely had the rest of their episodes stand on their own, they tried to make every episode contain some hint of a larger plot. Except that doesn't invest me in their supposed eventual payoff, it makes me wonder why everyone seems to ignore the things in front of them for the length of the season. The elves are looking for something beneath Dreamland? It's never mentioned after the episode it's introduced. Bean discovering Maru symbols around the castle, and a hidden path downwards tied to her mom? Even though she has good reason to be concerned, it's never brought up again and she does nothing about it. Even Derek's whole episode--and Derek was the character who got the most laughs out of me ("What are you, high?")--seemed like set-up that never paid off. The steampunk assassins were weird but at least those episode featured set-ups and payoffs in a narrative, while everything else is introduced and then discarded because watch us next season, everybody!

I really want to like this show, I am trying to like this show, but it feels like it keeps refusing to commit to any of the things it could be, and trusts that it can string me along with the implication that there's a deeper plot here while unwilling to let it take center stage of the series. It could've been a narrative-focused show with comedic elements, or a comedic show that periodically inserts an episode with bigger meaning to the characters (like Futurama was good at, pre-cancellation), and instead it tried to walk the tightrope between them and made something that aggressively fails to live up to either of its potentials.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm hoping that season 3 is better due to seasons 1 + 2 being the same production.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

It’s pronounced “stience.”:colbert:

I thought all the fantasy folk being unable to understand guns was pretty great.

Then I watched Emerald City which does it a million times better, and properly embraces the "get that the gently caress away from me"

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Ironslave posted:

I really want to like this show, I am trying to like this show

Same.

I think the writers are just not as polished and competent at doing comedy as other, better shows... for one, they don't seem to respect the audience to get a joke.

Like in the selkie episode, where she tells Zog she loves how he smells of pickles and cigars, in the next scene you see him with one in each hand. Perfect sight gag... then he turns and tells someone "I WANT TO SMELL LIKE PICKLES AND CIGARS". Like, how stupid do you think the viewers are to not pick up on that joke?

And at the risk of sounding like Comic Book Guy: there's also the scene where there is a deliberate gag of headsman's mask comes out pink in the wash... then is back to black in all subsequent scenes/episodes. It would have been great to have as a constant running background gag/callback (like the "Hollywoo" sign in Bojack), but nope, just that one scene for half a chuckle and then forget about it.

I also found the repetition of the "take a _______, leave a _________" joke really jarring (skull in the dungeon, then in like in the very next episode, repeated with babies in the Elf Quarter). There's no connection betweeb the two, it just feels incredibly sloppy, like it was on a Post-It that accidentally made it onto two storyboards.

As someone else posted on an earlier page, it does suffer from the fact that the main character traits are almost interchangable (drunk, lazy, backstabbing, selfish, etc)... whereas when you look at Futurama, they are much more distinct and set up so many more jokes both individually and playing off one another:

Fry: dumb, lazy, full of wonder at the future
Leela: hardworking, competent, strong, honest
Bender: selfish, lazy, dishonest, little apparent concern for others
Zoidberg: incompetent at his job, destitute, all around pathetic
Professor: senile, decrepit, brilliant-ish inventor, total disregard for employee safety
Hermes: stickler for rules, loves order, good but bumbling husband/father
Amy: rich/privilged, dumb (which set up a lot of jokes when she and Fry got together for a bit in S1)
Zapp: overconfident blowhard, arrogant, bad at his job
Cubert: OK Futurama wasn't perfect

Whalley posted:

I like that Bean's a loving mess. She makes bad choices and those bad choices gently caress people up. Also, she lives free of consequence because of her standing as princess and has no idea how much her hubris damages people. I like that Elfo's "nice guy" behavior is showing explicitly that he's not a drat nice guy. I like that Luci's a demon whose conflict isn't "man, demonning is hard on the old angst muscle" but instead "man, i don't want to demon my friends into a horrible situation, i can't believe they went and made me into a friend."

I like these elements too. Other things I like about the show:
  • Luci's character design is cool and good (cat owner here)
  • Subverting expectations of reptile stepmom - actually a decent, cool character instead of a straight antagonist
  • Oompah soundtrack
  • Matt Berry's melifluous voice as the pig (he was sadly underutilised in this season), also Zog's thick Jersey accent is a great contrast with the role of a king, but ties perfectly with his personality

Probably more - as I've said I'm trying really hard to like this, but it's just not connecting on a few different levels.

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm hoping that season 3 is better due to seasons 1 + 2 being the same production.

Did not know this - this makes me cautiously optimistic.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 6, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The stream of dead elves floating down the street was one of the most darkest jokes I’ve ever seen.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Moola posted:

Spaced is also very funny if the weird humour is your thing

What I'm saying is that they're not joke after joke, it's just got a funny "atmosphere" and you're not laughing out loud constantly.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Taear posted:

What I'm saying is that they're not joke after joke, it's just got a funny "atmosphere" and you're not laughing out loud constantly.

Ah I see. But spaced also has actual jokes with setups and payoffs and clever callbacks; something this show and modern Simpsons lacks.

Basically the writing needs to be more betterer

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Weird question, but is there a copy of the strings cover of Rebel Rebel they used in the trailer for this floating anywhere?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Weird question, but is there a copy of the strings cover of Rebel Rebel they used in the trailer for this floating anywhere?

I've been looking for that since August last year. The answer seems to be it's not publicly available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
This one comes pretty close but I don't think it's the same one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24zcGSyXwXE