Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Bean feels a lot more fleshed out this time round. I mean, she's not Bojack levels of complex, but I thought they did a good job of showing that her actions have consequences. It did feel like there should have been more friction with her and Elfo though, they seemed to snap back pretty quickly, and I'm not sure what was up with the mermaids.

The steampunk thing seemed super jarring and out of place, but it seems like there's a lot being seeded for next season there. The whole 'science' thing felt wierd because Dreamland does have a good understanding of the world around them, and it is a fantasy world, but it felt like they were talking about a completely different setting that episode.

This show works better as a serialised story, but with jokes, rather than an outright comedy. Some are funny, some are cringe, but the show has potenial. The Matt Groening style of character design is really charming too.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah that felt odd too. The Dreamland wizard guy was portrayed as a bit mad alchemist in the first half but his outlandish ideas were more weird science and did often work.

Him not understanding a gun makes sense on some level but he was really holding the idiot ball for sake of the plot there.

They were also literally experimenting on Elfo in the first half. To find things out through trial and error. Which is science. Mad science, but science.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Taear posted:

I don't think you can go back once you've left? I know Elfo did but only via other people taking him back.

I think that was just because the elves are isolationist and don't like mixing with the others? I did like some of the culture clash gags we got this time. Though did they all leave their kingdom to move to Dreamland, or have they split their population? It's unclear.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The Troggs are creepy in theory, and they were unsettling when they were eerily passive pawns of Dagmire, but then she leaves, and they just sort of...hang out under Dreamland and don't really bother anyone?

It reminds me of how in Futurama, every time they showed Fry being frozen [/spoiler]Nibbler is hidden as an Easter egg[spoiler] to foreshadow the big reveal, but not as well structured.

Thoughts:

Abbie Jacobson has really grown into the role of Bean, and is much stronger than when the show started. With Elfo being a more fleshed out character now, that dynamic really works. It felt like Luci was a bit sidelined this season? I've read online that it was harder to schedule him for recording with the pandemic and his own projects, not sure how true that is.

Everything Matt Berry says is funny. See also: What We Do in the Shadows.

The animation is really nice! Steamland's Metropolis inspired look was really cool and well designed.

Tress MacNeille and Maurice LaMarche are very talented, and great as their main characters, but maybe having them voice so many secondary characters is a bit distracting?

The show has this weird thing where it wants the character's actions and decisions to matter and have consequences, which makes sense in a serialized story, but also doesn't want to move too far away from the status quo for many episodes. They need to commit more to things mattering - like Odval's arc. They set him up to have a heel turn, but then backpedalled away because then they couldn't have him in the same role in the story, which was weird?

I'm interested in where the mysteries are going, overall.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 21, 2021

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Nichael posted:

I love Tress MacNeille but there was a scene in this season where it was her, talking to herself, in a three way conversation, and all of her characters are clearly her.

This is even stranger when you've got noted comedic actors who aren't primarily voice actors (but have done it before) doing secondary roles. Maybe its a budget thing? And John Dimaggo only does one voice?

Richard Ayoade was pretty funny though, hopefully they'll do more with his character.

When the show pushes itself more into the serialization aspect is where it shines, it just seems too eager to run back to the status quo. It sets up the twists and reveals really well, but doesn't seem eager to commit to them having consequences.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I am curious how far ahead they're planning to go with the story, and if the ending has been decided already. The release schedule for this show is strange, and I'm hoping everything slides together at the end.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Inconsistency in the characters and setting has always been the show's big issue. Like Futurama established the main rules for the setting, and the jokes flowed from Fry's clashing with them. It's like there's a gag where Odval states that he doesn't think the world is round....but he has a globe in his office? A globe that the characters interact with?

There's lots of little great parts in this machine, but they're still not all working together in harmony. They got closer this time, but its still not there.
Bean and Elfo feel more fleshed out this time, and the dynamic is finally there properly - the moments where the characters can show a little more vulnerability are the strongest.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I'm two episodes in to the new lot and there's a noticeable drop in quality. The show has always suffered from wanting to be a sitcom AND an ongoing narrative, but this just feels disjointed. Especially since Bean's character seemed nailed down last time - Abbi Jacobson seemed a lot more confident with the role.

Also, Elfo's character development in the last season seems to have been largely undone.

An example of a show that balanced being an ongoing narrative was Blindspot, where they carefully seeded the upcoming plot points. Reminds me that I need to get round to actually finishing that show, since I missed the last season.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 21, 2022

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The last batch of episodes felt like the world of the show was growing, but it feels like its shrinking again. At times it feels like Bean and Zog are characters in search of a show that fits them. I rather liked the last lot, so what happened between them and this batch? Even the timing feels off.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 24, 2022

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Zog feels like the character with the most development aside from Bean.

Bean feels like she should be as interesting a character as Fry - all of the pieces are there, they just don't quite feel like they've been put together right.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I guess I should watch the last two episodes :effort:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I just finished it, and what a wildly uneven show. The animation was great, and the voice cast were really good, but the pacing is so strange. There are far too many "running jokes" that just became the same thing repeated over and over. I mean, at least they didn't have Zog honking all the time (John DiMaggio was especially strong this season), but we don't need to hear the horse laughing, or Shocko making a noise over and over and over again. You don't need one note characters like Chazz, when you've got better ones who can be used for drama AND comedy. Mop Girl was a one note character who got developed INTO an actual character, and had an arc and everything, so they could do it.

The problem is the show has always had a conflict between if it wants to be a sitcom or serialised drama, and struggles with balancing both.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The pay off for Freckles being exposed to Zog as being evil was far, far too late.

What even was the joke of Chazz? That's he's annoying? It wasn't funny, and the time could have been spent elsewhere.

Was Alva wanting to go to the moon and Earth (!) even foreshadowed or mentioned?

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The Trogs just seemed to do nothing overall. A neutral faction who have their own agenda was interesting, but the payoff wasn't strong enough.