Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Ironslave posted:

I really want to like this show, I am trying to like this show

Same.

I think the writers are just not as polished and competent at doing comedy as other, better shows... for one, they don't seem to respect the audience to get a joke.

Like in the selkie episode, where she tells Zog she loves how he smells of pickles and cigars, in the next scene you see him with one in each hand. Perfect sight gag... then he turns and tells someone "I WANT TO SMELL LIKE PICKLES AND CIGARS". Like, how stupid do you think the viewers are to not pick up on that joke?

And at the risk of sounding like Comic Book Guy: there's also the scene where there is a deliberate gag of headsman's mask comes out pink in the wash... then is back to black in all subsequent scenes/episodes. It would have been great to have as a constant running background gag/callback (like the "Hollywoo" sign in Bojack), but nope, just that one scene for half a chuckle and then forget about it.

I also found the repetition of the "take a _______, leave a _________" joke really jarring (skull in the dungeon, then in like in the very next episode, repeated with babies in the Elf Quarter). There's no connection betweeb the two, it just feels incredibly sloppy, like it was on a Post-It that accidentally made it onto two storyboards.

As someone else posted on an earlier page, it does suffer from the fact that the main character traits are almost interchangable (drunk, lazy, backstabbing, selfish, etc)... whereas when you look at Futurama, they are much more distinct and set up so many more jokes both individually and playing off one another:

Fry: dumb, lazy, full of wonder at the future
Leela: hardworking, competent, strong, honest
Bender: selfish, lazy, dishonest, little apparent concern for others
Zoidberg: incompetent at his job, destitute, all around pathetic
Professor: senile, decrepit, brilliant-ish inventor, total disregard for employee safety
Hermes: stickler for rules, loves order, good but bumbling husband/father
Amy: rich/privilged, dumb (which set up a lot of jokes when she and Fry got together for a bit in S1)
Zapp: overconfident blowhard, arrogant, bad at his job
Cubert: OK Futurama wasn't perfect

Whalley posted:

I like that Bean's a loving mess. She makes bad choices and those bad choices gently caress people up. Also, she lives free of consequence because of her standing as princess and has no idea how much her hubris damages people. I like that Elfo's "nice guy" behavior is showing explicitly that he's not a drat nice guy. I like that Luci's a demon whose conflict isn't "man, demonning is hard on the old angst muscle" but instead "man, i don't want to demon my friends into a horrible situation, i can't believe they went and made me into a friend."

I like these elements too. Other things I like about the show:
  • Luci's character design is cool and good (cat owner here)
  • Subverting expectations of reptile stepmom - actually a decent, cool character instead of a straight antagonist
  • Oompah soundtrack
  • Matt Berry's melifluous voice as the pig (he was sadly underutilised in this season), also Zog's thick Jersey accent is a great contrast with the role of a king, but ties perfectly with his personality

Probably more - as I've said I'm trying really hard to like this, but it's just not connecting on a few different levels.

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm hoping that season 3 is better due to seasons 1 + 2 being the same production.

Did not know this - this makes me cautiously optimistic.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Pants Donkey posted:

Also, my niece was watching some cartoon about talking cars, and one of the villains is the same voice actor as Elfo pretty much doing the Elfo voice, and it is incredibly jarring.

One thing this show suffers from is reusing the same voice actor(s) for all of the bit characters, there's only so much range one person can have and it makes it feel really low-budget. It doesn't help that they're already really familiar from Futurama.

OTOH, I am loving Richard Ayoade as Alma, because I'm just pretending he's a continuation of the salesclerk from Neo Yokio (what I mainly know him from). Also apparently he was the sassy droid from the heist episode of the Mandalorian S1 so now I've gotta go back and rewatch that for a third time.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Gildiss posted:

I have been rewatching Futurama and it is almost exactly the same. The stuff you remember from Futurama is the good stuff but there is a lot of chaff in between those few bright spots.

This stuff is almost painful to watch actively.

I disagree if you're talking about the original 4 seasons - I found them to be really consistent in quality on rewatch with only maybe 1-3 episodes in total I wasn't keen to see again. There are a handful of gags that haven't aged well, but on the balance I found it really held up well. If you average in the movies/Comedy Central seasons into it then sure, there's plenty of chaff.

I found it hilariously presumptuous to end the current season on a cliffhanger - I guess Netflix figures we'll all keep hate-watching it, desperately waiting for it to get better.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

punishedkissinger posted:

the animation and art is generally excellent on this season

For sure.

But the show overall is also just so bafflingly inept.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I was going to rant about the show but I can't even muster up the effort

That's saying something

Yeah, I haven't tried looking, but I feel like this show is ripe for a "why doesn't this show work" YouTube deep-dive video essay...

... but I don't think anyone can bring themselves to watch this show multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Just want to confirm my partner and I went looking for a critique on YT and basically there was one terrible looking video by someone who apparently hates everything (their "Why the first HellBoy movie is BAD" video appeared in the sidebar), and then one person who apparently posts dozens of positive reviews about characters, etc. And seemed to be basically it.

Calaveron posted:

EDIT: Sorry, let me clarify. By a group of comedy writers, I mean a really bad group of comedy writers

Yeah... I think I might have cracked the ghost of a smile two or three times in the 6 or so episodes I've watched so far.