Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's hilarious Odval is still just *around*, despite trying to overthrow em'... how many times? They hand wave that away with her saying she needs his brilliance, but comon.

There's a bunch of plot threads dangling and I couldn't care less about any of em'. Which is a shame, as I really like Bean and what they're trying to do with her.

Weird seeing a show that's so desperate to constantly change it's status quo yet too chicken poo poo to actually stick with the changes. Dagmar is good, oh no she's still bad. Brother is king, oh wait no Zog is back. It'd help a lot if they just took a few episodes off from the big mystery plot and leaned into something funny. As is, you can really see the hamster wheel turning, and that's not great.

Will still watch season 4. but man, what a wasted opportunity of a show this is eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Yeah, I'm excited to see it conclude, if only to see if they can finally do a season that works.

It's still such a shame this show is so poorly constructed, as the premise is solid and the art is as good as Groening's style has ever looked.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

From memory the first season was rocky with the laughs, but generally ok. Then the next two seasons suffer from extreme plot whiplash as three episode arcs are dropped in a blink and there's nothing to latch onto.

The World Inferno posted:

It's hilarious Odval is still just *around*, despite trying to overthrow em'... how many times? They hand wave that away with her saying she needs his brilliance, but comon.

There's a bunch of plot threads dangling and I couldn't care less about any of em'. Which is a shame, as I really like Bean and what they're trying to do with her.

Weird seeing a show that's so desperate to constantly change it's status quo yet too chicken poo poo to actually stick with the changes. Dagmar is good, oh no she's still bad. Brother is king, oh wait no Zog is back. It'd help a lot if they just took a few episodes off from the big mystery plot and leaned into something funny. As is, you can really see the hamster wheel turning, and that's not great.

Will still watch season 4. but man, what a wasted opportunity of a show this is eh?

Memory was correct!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Man if the art direction isn't killer tho. This looks as good as Groeing's style can probably get.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gildiss posted:

Lol just read that this 4th and final part also ends on a cliffhanger.

WILL NEVER WATCH.

Thank you for your sacrifice, brave goon who wasted their time watching this to give warning.

Dies and it lived, pointless soap drama.

On episode 3 and it continues to be hilarious how characters continually risk their lives for their friends, only to two scenes later be telling them to shut up cause they're being annoying.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

On episode 5, and dear lord. Can't enjoy characters reunited for more than five minutes before they hate each other again. & it's like they spent half this season just undoing all the world change from the last season.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Fast forwarded through the last episodes out of curiosity for how they were going to wrap the show and... yeah, it ends on another cliffhanger. This will never mean or amount to anything.

Feel like this pretty well sums it up:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The idea of the show is sound. No argument there. The setting and characters theoretically have everything they need to make this one hell of a watch.

But the writing, plotting and pacing are simultaneously ridiculously convoluted and woefully lackluster.

This is what's resoundingly disappointing everytime I've checked in with the show. Bean is a great character. Elfo and Lucci could be great counterparts. A limited magic medieval world is good. Music great. Lore, probably honestly ok to good.

But the delivery. Oi vey. & paths they've gone down it's so bad.

At this point would be interested to be a fly on the wall of the writers room going into the second half of this season. Are they aware no one is liking what they're dishing. Are they overworked and can't be bothered with writing a good show. Are there ideas getting shot down. What on earth is happening here.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

tarlibone posted:

Is that what everybody who hates the show thinks? No, of course not. This show is one of those that a bunch of people just won't get into. But Futurama comes up an awful lot for something that has nothing to do with people's complaints.

As Taear pointed out, it's really hard to not compare this show to Futurama given the overlapping writers, voice actors, and design. It's also, for adult animation, a solid touch stone to compare most shows against, as most folks here have seen. From what I've read it's less an expectation that it's the same show as Futurama, and more just people bummed the show isn't a good show, like Futurama was. A lot of what you're reacting to is folks just thinking the show is bad and just grabbing for the nearest show that was good and going "man, it should have just been like this". If the cast and writers of Rick n' Morty made a new show and it sucked, you'd probably have folks going "huh, they probably shoulda stuck to the formula eh".

quote:

What really sucks is, unlike everybody on this thread, I actually like the world they have built here.

Like idk man, the consensus I've read seems to be that most folks dig the visuals, and felt like the tone had potential, but it's all getting squandered in twists land. Actually read the thread before ya start complaining about other peoples thoughts. There's been plenty of compliments paid to the world they're trying to build. (IMO) What they've done with it has been so poorly rolled out tho that it's just miserable to watch tho.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

people mention the Simpsons constantly too because Groening is known for precisely two things

Ah yes, Life is Hell and the cover art of Frank Zappa Plays the Music of Frank Zappa: A Memorial Tribute.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Unfortunately to me making GBS threads the bed for four seasons means that they're trying to stick the landing on a mountain made of butter. Or poo poo. Any ending is going to fail because there's nothing to grab onto here.

But, morbidly curious how such a commitment-averse show will try anyway. At least it'll look gorgeous when it's flailing around.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I'll probably watch it out of curiosity if it's on Netflix. Otherwise I won't bother, like I didn't bother with the latest season of Futurama.

Futurama is fine, largely because the original run was so strong and they keep managing to write really lovely series finales every time it gets canceled. Helps that it's a sitcom approach to things and they aren't trying to write some grand narrative, with the exception of the three movie season, which coincidentally is where the show really struggled.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

tarlibone posted:

And, let's be realistic here: it's not like there's a lot else happening on TV because of the strike. Some already-produced animated shows are going to come out, and that's about it for a little while. Then, nothing.

The strike hasn't been effecting stuff that's currently airing at all yet, save for less press tours. Righteous Gemstones just wrapped, Only Murderers in the Building, Reservation Dogs, How To w/ John Wilson, are just coming out, Solar Opposites and Futurama are premiering on Hulu, Rick and Morty back in the fall... and I'm sure tons of shows I'm not even aware of.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Rectal Death Adept posted:

No way can they wrap this up in 10 episodes

There's nothing to wrap up. The show has shown such disdain towards resolution and change that nothing holds any weight. Even when something 'world changing' happens, they shrug it off in seconds in a follow-up episode.

There is no way to land this plane, it crashed seasons ago and nothing rose from the ashes.

It's like they tried to thread the needle between soap opera and sitcom, but went with the worst qualities of both.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Such a gorgeous, awful awful show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Honestly whatever you write in your head is going to be just as satisfying. Bean loves mermaid, gains control of her magic and kills her mother, but not really, but it's ok because she's imprisoned at the end. Some other stuff happens but it really doesn't matter and has no weight.

I still think the most lame one-joke character they have is the inserted critic that keeps dying by arrow. It's them trying to do an Austin Power's "I suggest you don't worry about those things and just enjoy yourself"... but the guy is correct most of the time and is pointing out flaws that make the show incredibly unenjoyable. They seem somewhat aware of how poo poo the story is, but then do nothing to fix it over five seasons. Makes it more of a middle finger to the audience.