Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a non-"it's a TV show deal with it" reason that the Elves left their kingdom and moved to live in squalor in Dreamland after giving blood? Did I miss it? :confused:

Otherwise, this was a decent season. That said, I have a feeling I'll forget this show existed for another year in a week.

e: decent half season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m seven episodes into part 3 and I finally genuinely and heartily laughed at a joke. ”Am I dying?” No, is effect of drugs... unless you took too much drugs in which case, you ARE dying”

I mean at this rate I’ll maybe have two laughs by the end.

Edit: Oona is so underrated.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh I really want to like this but literally nothing is firing on any cylinders for me. The plot is just getting more confusing and pointless with, the characters take on whatever personality is required for any scene to "work" and I'm pretty sure we forgot Luci even exists for large swaths of this season. There's scenes and whole set-ups that go nowhere like the whole raising an army but then disbanded because elfo and the trogs were spanking their rear end thing. I most relate to the guy who criticizes the show and gets flaming arrow'd every now and then.

Martytoof posted:

I mean at this rate I’ll maybe have two laughs by the end.

No, turns out it was just the one.

Spin this dumb show off into an Oona seafaring adventure.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I'll agree that there were moments of fun and her relationship was a nice development but ultimately they seemed inconsequential.

Though I fully expect the mermaids to come save the day hand in hand with Oona sometime in S4 so maybe it's not inconsequential just not YET of any consequence

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I dunno, they were some weird bug drugs in a fantasy setting, you don’t know how they work :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’s actually weird because I’m pretty sure at some point Oona said it was weed and she wished she started sooner, but clearly it was some weird bug drug :hmmyes:

I’m glad they just called it drugs because the way Oona says DRUGS just cracked me up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The show has at least managed to develop one intriguing plot:

The mystery of why I will likely keep coming back to watch, season after season, despite obviously hating this show.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

True. That's how I made it through three seasons of Star Trek Discovery.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yes you're all making excellent points but I think there's one important thing you're all forgetting:

Zog honk honk ha ha funny :downs:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just a gut feeling but I feel like maybe the Mermaid plot will be a thing in an upcoming season, when Bean needs some help or whatnot, riding in with Oona.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah sorry let me re-word how I think this goes in the writer's room:

Some new problem happens in S4 and the writers who have clearly telegraphed Oona coming back remember that the Mermaids exist and tack them on.

I think my approach to watching S4 should be to just stop hoping for any of this to make sense and just try to enjoy the one or two jokes per episode that land. Unfortunately I've had to make that my approach for far too many TV shows lately :mad:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actually found the cat funny just because it was so out of left field. I consistently chuckled at his ramblings, but mostly because it felt like a completely different cartoon bolted on.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If it's like the other seasons I'll binge it and just immediately forget about it after the fact.

Very forgettable, some mild laughs along the way. Or maybe it was really bad and I'm remembering it differently. I'd have to dredge up my old posts to see and that's more effort than this show currently deserves.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

EDIT: I mean, poo poo, it might be the only show in TVIV history that no one has even cared enough about to give the thread a funny title.

Thundercracker posted:

It's just bafflingly bad

Not even two posts apart and we already solve one problem

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m gonna skip a bunch of posts so I don’t spoil myself since I just started s4e1 but holy heck how does this episode not have a 2 minute recap. Literally every scene change I’m like “who is this” or “when did this happen” or “why are we here” which I guess just goes to show how forgettable S3 was.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m on episode five and it feels like this was written by someone who hadn’t watched like .. the last two seasons or something.

Like what even is this.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The puppet is so stupid I hope they forget it exists and don’t revisit it

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

oh I'm sorry what an awkward typo.

I typed "puppet" when I meant to say "show"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't think there's a good term for it, but that scene with Bean and Aoyade's character where she's like "i want an explanation and a beer and where's my beer" or whatever -- it's that lazy "homer blurting out something stupid" kind of joke that I think started being an acceptable replacement for funny jokes in later seasons of the Simpsons and the Futurama revival in writers rooms, and is just super pervasive here too. It's precisely the kind of complaint I have but can't really articulate coherently when someone asks me why I didn't like the Futurama revival, or like.. whatever is happening in this show.

Only I mean in this show it's just the tip of the iceberg where with the Futurama revival I thought it was kind of like.. not the only thing wrong with it, but pretty much the only thing I really remember.

Sorry not trying to start a futurama thing in here, but that's just kind of what came into my head when we started talking about MG's involvement, but also I think the showrunning and writing might have a bunch of crossover on the two shows.

I've done very little actual research on that though, so not gospel.

I think Luci and Elfo's stage argument in episode five is like a perfect summary of how I feel about this show lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean I fundamentally agree that the world they’re trying to build has a lot of interesting things going on. It should be in service of a greater story though, and it doesn’t feel like that part is executed well. Maybe this is one of those things where they tie everything together in a coherent package in a theoretical season 6 or 7, but right now it just seems like the plot is being driven by the output of one of those funny computer-AI-writes-a-script things.

I’m being somewhat facetious and I’m sure they’re TRYING. I fully appreciate that everyone has different tastes and I’m super happy that someone can get something out of this show which isn’t bitterly hatewatching and rushing to the internet to complain, like myself. If you like the show then I am genuinely pleased :)

It’s a big miss for me though for reasons other than it’s not Futurama. But I also argued above that it’s exhibiting the same things that started to turn me off about Futurama near the end, so in a way your premise is wrong — MG *IS* doing it again :smug:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I just finished the last episode and I guess I’m not going to bother criticizing the show anymore since I’m mostly preaching to the converted,.

I have two questions, and I want to phrase them as “did I miss this” and not as a nitpick of writing because I’m willing to believe I just kind of got bored and skipped or forgot some scene in my haste to complain loudly on the internet.

When did Derek return to the castle? Wasn’t he on the pirate ship?

And I honestly don’t remember how far steamland is from dreamland. Seems like Zog and Oddval just kind of ride their horses there in 45 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I killed Netflix a few months ago and really unlikely to re-sub but I’m mildly interested in how they wrapped up this mess. Is there a good summary of the season anywhere?