Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I just finished watching the season and it was so much better than season 1.

I mean, good lord, so so so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm just glad they've moved Elfo away from being the "nice guy" character.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The steampunk society was just so jarring for me. Sure, it was a great visual and I paused the show about a hundred times to try and catch everything, but it really doesn't fit into a fantasy world.

Also the "there's no such thing as magic" doesn't really work when you see an entire kingdom turned to stone* and people brought back from the dead**.

And where did Beanie learn all that medicine and how to remove the bullet? The assassin only showed her how to sterilise a wound, not surgery.

Unless they spent the entire time on the sub talking medicine and just cut it out.

And why would she even know about bullets, it's not like she even used a gun.

And Elfo's death, from the start of the season is worth investigating. He was shot with an arrow which came out of nowhere.

Watching it again, it stands out as an "hey, we're going to come back to this later" moment which will probably involve Elfo travelling back in time for some reason and shooting himself.

* If the potion only affected living things, why did the waterfall turn to stone :colbert:

** Why not bring back Elfo, return to Elftown and try and get another drop of elf blood? Her mother wasn't going anywhere, but Elfo was only going to get deader. Beanie had all the time in the world and hosed it all up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It reminds me of Heroes.

The episodes weren't all that much, but they had great narrative hooks which would make you want to tune in for more. Of course, that pretty much all that show had going for it.

Disenchantment feels like that. Not much during the season, but they can tease the hell out of where the show might go next.

Blah, blah, blah, then steampunk assassins outta nowhere!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Pants Donkey posted:

I keep watching this show because it really feels like always gets so close but never follows through. The pacing of this season is also all over the place and things don’t coalesce elegantly.

I have very little positive to say about this show, but I keep watching despite myself because, as you say, there's something there which could be amazing.

But every time they get close, they switch to a generic Matt Groening moment and we've all been watching those for 30 years now.

To sum up my reaction for the past 3 seasons:

"Is this going somewhere? Wow, we're finally going somewhere! No, we went nowhere."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Did anyone, a single person, find that cat funny?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Breakfast All Day posted:

It seemed like an entirely different art style, and was constantly doing set-ups for jokes that never happened. I'm sure in next season we'll be told it has a whole backstory when it reappears to "resolve" some tertiary plot and will be expected to take this as a substitute for being funny or interesting.

I'm about 99% sure they were going for a Top Cat theme with the character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBDF-UQWHh0&t=7s

The voice is similar as is the syntax. The cat lived in an alley and had delusions of grandeur. It's was also absolutely pointless after the first minute it was introduced.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Luci swapps himself for a real talking cat. Actually a decent enough joke.

5 episodes later - why are you still here?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

punishedkissinger posted:

he swaps himself for the cat then realize he actually likes being close with Zog, removes the cat, then sings a song about seizing power for himself. then in the next episode the cat is back and luci doesnt follow up on his plotting in any way.

Sorry, I actually meant "why is the cat still here". Though I can understand why you thought I meant Luci.

The cat was a one-shot joke character that ended up hanging around for the rest of the season being painfully unfunny and pointless.

Talking cat is no Scruffy the Janitor.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Ironslave posted:

I'm too deep in to stop now. Even if I want to.

Yeah, at this point I'm Dexter-watching this.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Never have I watched a show which has less of an idea where it wants to go, what it wants to say, or what it wants to be. Well, except ones which ended up getting cancelled partway through their first seasons.

I'd call it an incoherent mess, but it was apparently deliberately designed to be like this. Dozens of people sat down and decided, "Yes. This is what we want to do."

EDIT: and I'll never forget the time a bunch of people were complaining about the show in another thread for several pages before someone pointed out that the name of the show is "Disenchantment" not "Disenchanted". The show leaves that shallow of an imprint that no one even remembers its actual title.

There's just nothing about it which grabs you. Yep, this sure is a Matt Groening production. Those sure are his designs. These sure are his jokes and plot beats. How about we mix them all together and make a nice bland gruel?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 4, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Just remembered the talking cat.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'd say these last four posts have perfectly summed up the problems with Disenchanted and why it's just a Disappointment.

EDIT: I mean, poo poo, it might be the only show in TVIV history that no one has even cared enough about to give the thread a funny title.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Season 3 recap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9stz19xB5k

Yep, still as pointless and disjointed as I remember it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'm halfway through and the show is still doing the lowest hanging fruit for every joke.

I'm pretty sure I said this about earlier seasons too, but every joke is from the 30 year old Groening playbook. If you've ever watched the Simpsons or Futurama you'll know every punchline before they've even finished the setup.

Also, my god, do they drag out every joke. What would have been a five second joke in Futurama now takes them 30 seconds to get to the limpest resolution. In one scene, Beanie and the others are running through the castle to get somewhere dangerous. Okay, maybe toss in a quick visual joke along the way as we change scenes, no worries there. But in Disenchantment, they just have the characters run through room after room after room, and there's no point to any of it. It just keeps going on and on.

After about six rooms and hallways, they have the two tiny pages break off from the group and hide in their own tiny rooms. That's it, that's the joke. Again, the most obvious possible joke they could make and it took ten times as long to get there as earlier shows.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Just finished watching season 4 and, yet again, a resounding meh.

The idea of the show is sound. No argument there. The setting and characters theoretically have everything they need to make this one hell of a watch.

But the writing, plotting and pacing are simultaneously ridiculously convoluted and woefully lackluster.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
One thing that stood out for me this season was the "revelation" that trolls and elves had a common ancestor. Uh, were we not supposed to have already guessed that the two groups of people who are identical except for their skin and nostrils were somehow related to each other?

Also, "The Very Thing" the elves had been on about for three seasons is some sort of slime juice that turns elves into trolls. What the gently caress?

Also, it has the ability to give Beanie superpowers. And we see her drink a bottle of it and it does...nothing.

Just loving great. More bullshit with no payoff.

Breakfast All Day posted:

It's weird to feel like you simultaneously have more attention budget for the show than the show does for itself and don't care enough about what's happening to follow.

I know what you mean.

I've never seen a show with so many plots that go nowhere or simply vanish. There was a blink and you'll miss it joke about that cat from last season which could talk in one episode being dead. Like, "Hey, we know all these plots are silly, we're in on the joke, too."

Motherfuckers, you're the ones who put all that pointless bullshit in there in the first place. You don't get to pull that poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Martytoof posted:

The puppet is so stupid I hope they forget it exists and don’t revisit it

Ahahahahah!

How do you feel about several entire puppet episodes? How about more puppets made of major season one villains somehow?

How do you feel about all the puppet plotlines going absolutely nowhere and never getting mentioned again?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Good for him. No one should ever feel bad about fighting for fair compensation for their work and for their fellow workers.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Pants Donkey posted:

Well it’s getting another (final) season in September. Only hope I can have is that it has to be more focused and can’t introduce another handful of superfluous characters and sideplots since it has to actually tie up everything.

We’ll see!

Turns out there's a fourth world, on top of the fairy kingdom world, the ancient desert world and the steampunk world.

It'll be introduced in the final episode as the true key to princess what'sherface's destiny or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Here, at the end, I ask: what was the loving point?