Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I genuinely laughed at quite a lot of moments in this season half or whatever it is.

Noel Fielding still isn't a very good voice actor though.

Was amazing to hear Rich Fulcher in the early episodes as her uncle too, I hope they get Julian Barrat in here somewhere in season 2!

Definitely stronger characterisation for Zog and others in this half, I did feel elfo was a bit less creepy too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It feels more like a comedy from here (the UK) where the jokes flow naturally and it's not just all set up for jokes regardless of what's actually going on.
Which is good!

Also man your definition of "returning to the status quo" is very different to mine

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I quite like Bean, what did she do that's bad?
She couldn't talk to them about what she saw in episodes 8 and 9 because they refused to listen to her, it made that pretty clear.

I do feel that making the secret society that the Prime Minister, wizard and Tress Mcneil are in seems a bit poo poo. Like it went against the trope and that was interesting but now they've gone back on that.

Either way I do hope there's more. It was 4th top watched in the UK which hopefully means it's doing okay.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Is there a non-"it's a TV show deal with it" reason that the Elves left their kingdom and moved to live in squalor in Dreamland after giving blood? Did I miss it? :confused:

Otherwise, this was a decent season. That said, I have a feeling I'll forget this show existed for another year in a week.

e: decent half season

I don't think you can go back once you've left? I know Elfo did but only via other people taking him back.

Calaveron posted:

It's meandering, atonal, slow, with a whole bunch of antijokes (hahaha get it, the dresses actually belong to the guy! Comedy gold!)

Wasn't him taking that dress just him deflecting from something? I didn't think they were really his.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

dracky posted:

Is it me or did they only start the NO WOMEN ALLOWED stuff at the very end to contrast with Steamland, because it didn't seem like it came up before?

Yea I barely remember anything like that before.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I just don't expect to laugh, it's like the Orville or Spaced or something, I'm not here to constantly be laughing out loud like in some lovely sitcom.
It feels so weird to me to see people mad that it's not funny enough.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Moola posted:

it's possible to make something in between this tho

And that's pretty much what this show is

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Moola posted:

Spaced is also very funny if the weird humour is your thing

What I'm saying is that they're not joke after joke, it's just got a funny "atmosphere" and you're not laughing out loud constantly.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

Also, my niece was watching some cartoon about talking cars, and one of the villains is the same voice actor as Elfo pretty much doing the Elfo voice, and it is incredibly jarring.

I hate blaze and the monster machines and I hate Pickle, it really is just the Elfo voice.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tress and Maurice (and billy west) being almost every loving character really is unreal, I wish they'd cut it out.

I dunno - I liked season 1 and 2 but this one is all over the place. Like someone said earlier although Bean has a good characterisation I feel like they're making everyone else interchangable. That bit where Elfo scared Lucie in the heads room felt so unbelievably out of character for both of them and it just made me feel like they didn't give a poo poo who did what, they just wanted to keep the jokes rolling.

And zog's whole "I'm shot, I'm buried, I'm with bean, everything is back to normal" was jarring and a bit poo poo. Just resetting the status quo so fast.

Taear fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 21, 2021

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I hate Richard Ayoede being in anything as a voice actor because he sounds so completely himself that it takes me out of it. I feel the same about Noel Fielding, it just feels like they're reading lines and not acting and it's horrible.
Rich Fulcher is a lot of characters though, they're definitely using him a bunch.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

In addition to the characterizations being bad / wasted, a lot of the basics of the plot are so badly written that they end up distracting.

s3 starts off with Bean going underground to live with Dagmar and the trogs. Dagmar is being extremely polite, and it seems like she wants to rekindle their relationship. Later, Bean walks in on Dagmar eating trog brains (explain please?), and this causes the mother to instantly toss bean in prison (why?) and admit that the entire thing was a ruse... but, what thing was was the mother trying to accomplish by being nice to Bean, and why did Bean seeing her eat brains ruin the plan in any way? This is a fantasy universe, couldn't she have just been like: "oh yeah, it looks gross, but these brains amplify my magic power" or something?

Later, during the scene when bean is trying to escape, she's standing in a big counsel room that we've seen before. She takes a few steps to the side, and we suddenly see that she's standing next to a big crystal (was that always right in this room?) which glows, illuminating a crown symbol of some sort that looks like it's been carved into the wall (was this always there as well?). The trogs then call Bean "the chosen one" and allow her to escape, but this entire sequence is so fast and sloppy that it's hard to even tell what happened.

Later, Bean is trying to find who assassinated Pendergast. We see that Pendergast has been beheaded, but he's apparently also been shot, and for some reason this gunshot wound leads the main cast to believe that "whoever has a gun" is the person who killed Pendergast. Firstly, the death itself was confusing... I guess we're supposed to assume that he was shot and then beheaded? Why shoot someone you're planning to behead? How do you secretly assassinate someone, and then LATER behead them and display their head on a pike? Later we found out the Druidess did it, but she's essentially running the kingdom, so why would she need to assassinate someone at all? The ruling class in this show has people executed people all of the time... it happens multiple times per episode.

I generally hate when nerds criticize movies and tv shows by nitpicking small plotholes, but these are big things that the entire plot hinges on and they make no sense on a fundamental level.

Yea this entire season is like that and it's why I'm bored of it. All the plot beats make no sense and are convoluted.

Why did the army run off when they saw the trogs slapping their arses? Who loving knows! Army is done now. Why was there an army? Who knows! But it doesn't matter, army is done now.
Why did Richard Ayoade disguise himself and meet Bean in a place he had no way of possibly knowing she was going to be? Who knows!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Love Stole the Day posted:

Just finished watching the latest season of this show.

Agree with the poster at the top of this page, that the show is less than the sum of its parts... but imo it's still really good overall, so that's just nitpicking. Enjoyed it more than the latest season of The Simpsons, and there aren't any other shows afaik for this kind of niche to watch instead.

Personally I'm comparing it to Bobs Burgers.
It's not so much the humour - I just want the stories to make sense.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

"Rich guy assumes a disguise in order to meet someone" is a fine premise, no problem; but why did they portray him as a lovestruck dejected dude with a secret crush on Bean so much?

If something had specifically bought bean there (beyond chasing the Druidess) then sure, I'd buy that he might be disguised and seducing her.
But she was there in a way nobody would know, she just HAPPENED to see the Druidess in the street and go after her and reach the factory. How does that work?

Also Bean drops Elfo so often in this season and nobody seems to care. He's just off doing random poo poo. Hell Bean has what comes across as 3 days at the factory without wondering where Elfo is and then it cuts back to Elfo still just sat chatting to those people in the Explorer guild. What the hell?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MikusR posted:

Disenchantment is not the best but it's not as bad as Bobs Burgers.

Imagine not liking bobs burgers

Polo-Rican posted:

imho the problem with the show is that it doesn't know how to match setups with payoffs. they introduce so many situations that could be resolved in ways that advance the plot naturally, but then they take a right turn without resolving the setup.

In this it reminds me a lot of late stage simpsons.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I think they stick with mostly butts because they're funnier than boobs. If we saw Bean or Mermaid nipples it would be alluring, not funny.

The amount of Bean's body we've seen in this season reminds me of when I was watching the Futurama commentary and they were getting all weird about drawing mostly naked Amy/Leela.
I know animators are horny but c'mon.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

This is probably what the writers were thinking, but:

1. Wouldn't the beheader find it strange that they were beheading someone already dead
2. Instead of searching for a pistol why couldn't the characters just find out who ordered the beheading, since that would also have been the same murderer
3. Either way, why was the body just shoved into a locker after beheading instead of being disposed of in in literally any way. Wouldn't just burying or burning the body be way better than beheading an already dead body and then putting it into a locker

It felt a bit like when Zog saw Penderghast's head on the stick that really WAS him but then they changed their minds and decided to make it more complicated for no reason at all.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Lister posted:

I still can't reason why Odval saved Bean from getting shot by the Arch Druidess. I guess that wasn't supposed to be a part of their plan? Was it a part of the Steamland plan? If so, then why would she try and kill Bean when getting Bean to agree to an alliance seemed to be what she was hired for? Was the idea to manipulate Odval into seizing power to prevent whatever curse there is while also using that power to get the young prince to agree to a Steamland alliance eventually?

Oh wait, the Gunderson guy can't be trusted because last season his goons were the ones that were tasked with delivering the gun to Dreamland. One of the characters from the end of season 2 shows up serving beer to Bean right before he says that he had nothing to do with the druidess killing people.

The answer feels like it's "they've not really thought about it"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Elf king just sorta...wandering over and going down that hole was loving bizarre.
The last episode generally was a confused mess. Moreso than the rest of the season even, just so much poo poo happening all together.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Ugh I really want to like this but literally nothing is firing on any cylinders for me. The plot is just getting more confusing and pointless with, the characters take on whatever personality is required for any scene to "work" and I'm pretty sure we forgot Luci even exists for large swaths of this season. There's scenes and whole set-ups that go nowhere like the whole raising an army but then disbanded because elfo and the trogs were spanking their rear end thing. I most relate to the guy who criticizes the show and gets flaming arrow'd every now and then.

Literally every moment of the Trogs story and the Zog story made no sense and was random constantly.

Dagmar selling him the cursed puppet is possibly the standout part of the Zog one. What was the point of that? Was it really Dagmar or was Sharon Horgan just voicing another person with white hair? Who knows.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Nichael posted:

Oh, huh. None of this show makes sense.

It's sorta like there's two teams of writers.
One who just wants jokes and japes
One that wants continuing stories

And they have barely any crossover with each other. It's mad.

It reminds me of when you get a game that's been made by a bunch of different teams that don't interact so the parts KINDA go together all hosed up.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

Watched episode 8 last night, which is a mixed bag!

• Having an entire episode about Merkimer feels strange at the end of season 8. I could barely remember anything about Merkimer's backstory besides "he got turned into a pig." I don't really remember Bentwood at all, but that makes sense because it apparently hasn't been shown since the beginning of s1e1!

I'm gonna say that while I remembered Brentwood there are a lot of callbacks to other episodes I barely remember. A lot of shows if the character hasn't been around for like 3 seasons will give you a little flashback but this doesn't do it.
A guy turns up in the last episode and I don't remember him at all.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

why was edith pretending to be a head anyway? Was that ever explained? Bean didn't free her, she just saw elfo was in trouble and got out of the box herself then left.

Also god, at the end of that episode they free all the freaks then run to the ocean and get surrounded by lightbulb robots, which bean defeats in the last scene using a magic lightning burst. Then at the start of the episode they walk back to the freakshow to release one more freak, then walk BACK to the lightbulb robots, which come back to life (with a sort of funny joke: "oh no, they are getting ideas") then they run to a DIFFERENT dock and get on a boat. Like why in god's name couldn't you write that series of events in a less stupid order. Why is the primary writing style of the show to start something then leave then immediately go back and do it more.

They fight the final lightbulb robot in a hall of mirrors, only to leave and...there's another load of them so what was the point.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Those both happen before the wedding gets interrupted yeah. After the interruption Sagatha has second thoughts about marrying him and says something to the effect that he should just see her as a sexy grandma or something.

Oh right. I feel like i missed that. Also sagatha as a character full stop is pretty revolting and they can kinda gently caress off?

There's a lot of weird kinda old man humour in the show that betrays the age of the people writing it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Phenotype posted:

This show, man. I would not have believed you if you told me there was a Matt Groenig show that I just could not push myself to watch all the way through. :( I still enjoy the new Simpsons!

I tried to watch the new season and realized I have no idea what happened in the last one because it was so hard to pay attention to it. So now I'm watching the last ten episodes of S1 again and it is still so hard to pay attention to it. Is the new stuff any better? Worth just jumping in or should I just give up?

Season 1 is probably the best part of the show, especially the end of it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Norwegian Rudo posted:

If that were the case whichever faction doesn't include the showrunner would have been replaced with people willing to carry out his vision. A TV show production isn't some kind of democracy, it's strictly a dictatorship.

That's why I feel like it's more like a game design studio. There's a bunch of writers who work separately and someone brings their ideas together but they do it in a bit of a poo poo way because nobody's QUITE communicating with each other properly.
The army storyline is still the weirdest one. It'd work almost fine in a show that's not trying to serialise.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

PT6A posted:

Wasn't there a "throwaway" line in either late season 2 or early season 3 where Dagmar talks about invading Bean's dreams and mentions the "underwater sex dreams?"

I... don't want to give these people too much credit but I think they may be working on a long-term basis with some of these seemingly random things.

She also has a mermaid tapestry on the wall. Sometimes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MadJackal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M47YkrfjrXQ

Season 4 is coming out in 6 days for the 5 people who still watch this show.

Maybe this time they'll settle on a tone?

Wait really??

Man I feel like the other seasons were better advertised than this one

That trailer is still absolute poo poo though so I'm not really expecting anything new.

Taear fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 4, 2022

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The World Inferno posted:

Yeah, I'm excited to see it conclude, if only to see if they can finally do a season that works.

It's still such a shame this show is so poorly constructed, as the premise is solid and the art is as good as Groening's style has ever looked.

They just clearly don't know how to make a show like this work. It would have been fine as fantasy futurama honestly, but they can't even stick to that.

Martytoof posted:

Very forgettable, some mild laughs along the way. Or maybe it was really bad and I'm remembering it differently. I'd have to dredge up my old posts to see and that's more effort than this show currently deserves.

The first two bits were fine
The most recent one was AWFUL

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

Yes. The show has been two orders with each split in half.

Like someone else said, this is probably the end since they'd likely have announced another order by now.

I'm glad that it's going, spend the money on something better

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

At the end of the first season (or half-season, or whatever), where Bean chooses to resurrect her all-but-unremembered mother over saving the life of her friend Elfo, that felt like it would be the point where the story really kicks in and the show gets good. But then it... wasn't, really. Even though it seemed like at this point, everything would change, and shift into high gear, it just... didn't. I don't even remember how the kingdom recovered from being turned to stone.

I still like the characters and the animation and the voice acting, and at a micro level the jokes are mostly fine. I can watch an episode and be entertained by it as kind of a medieval knockoff of Futurama. But the attempt at an overall storyline has completely lost me. I don't give a poo poo about the machinations of the steampunk kingdom or of the treachery of Maurice LaMarche's character whose name I can't be arsed to remember, you know, the wizard guy. Hell, I had even forgotten that Luci "died" at the end of last season, but I'm not the slightest bit surprised to see him in the new teaser because nothing loving matters because the plot makes no sense.

Yea the first series had that air of "okay we're setting the scene and the last two or three episodes are things starting to get into gear"
Like they'd planned it out quite well there.

After that it just turns to poo poo. I don't really care about "jokes" in the sense people go on about but I do expect the show to make sense and it just absolutely doesn't

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I liked the last revival mostly but I didn't think it needed yet another one. I guess I'll watch it though

Honestly the last revival was pretty bad. Their current events episodes were total poo poo (especially robomarriage)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Arbite posted:

Maybe they could finish the story in a netflix movie? Yeah, probably not.

I do sorta wonder if anyone would care enough for them to want it

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Fantasy tavern

Yea they could have made it work really easily.
It's actually IMPRESSIVE how badly they've completely hosed it honestly.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I’m on episode five and it feels like this was written by someone who hadn’t watched like .. the last two seasons or something.

Like what even is this.

An extremely bad show

It's interesting that there's barely any reviews or trivia for it on IMDB. It feels like a show that in theory would have shitloads of that sorta thing, but nothing

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

tarlibone posted:

A lot of the complaining I see in this thread seems to be along the lines of, "This guy created Futurama, which I love, so why isn't this doing everything Futurama did right, because Futurama was great and Futurama was literally a Rama for the Future--why wasn't this Magicorama, Fantasyorama, or at least Lordoftheringsorama?" And as a fan of Futurama, I get it. That show was brilliant... 75% of the time. Some of those special movie things that were released as mini-seasons or whatever... I'm not sure how those worked, but they were done after the main series was cancelled the first time, and I think before it was revived on Comedy Central? You know what I'm talking about. Some of that is just hard to watch.

I think this is unbelievably unfair and people have said over and over why they don't like it in the thread. It's nothing to do with it not being Futurama.
It's the utterly disjointed and bad storytelling.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

tarlibone posted:

Is that what everybody who hates the show thinks? No, of course not. This show is one of those that a bunch of people just won't get into. But Futurama comes up an awful lot for something that has nothing to do with people's complaints.

Because it's made by exactly the same people.

It's fair to say "this show is poo poo while futurama was good" because it's made by the same people and not be straight up saying "I wanted this show to be like futurama"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Disenchantment feels almost like someone's side project that they got contracted into doing 2 series of.
Which would explain why the second series (so 'part 3 and 4') are so loving all over the place

Part 1/2 SORT OF had a reasonable thing going.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Yea new Futurama is atrocious

I'm so surprised that this has another series, really blows my mind. I'm trying to even remember if I watched the last one that was one

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Vox Machina manages to do a fantasy cartoon a lot better than this. It's even funny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Lampshading how awful the Honking is does not make continued Honking ok.

Post series 10 simpsons did this a lot
"If we say it's bad it's not as bad"

It's still bad