Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

monkay posted:

Fortunately I've kept myself busy with volunteering and whatnot, but I kept putting off a part time job because, "Oo maybe this will be the time."
I know how to code in C++, Java, and JavaScript with some experience in SQL, MongoDB, and Android development, unfortunately I don't have much to show for it except some assignments on my Github. I'm in the awkward position of knowing HOW to code but not knowing enough to freelance coding or website making.

It definitely feels like there's a huge barrier to entrance for "entry level" jobs, and I have experience as an IT intern last summer. Most places seem to want to hire through a temp or contracting agency if you aren't lucky enough to have a connection. I am currently working with a placing company but it just feels like more :q: "Oh, you were close last time, just stick with us we've got tons of jobs coming up." This last time it seemed like I was close and then someone "went on vacation" for a few weeks, and now they are saying the same position is open again.

Luckily I'm in a position where money hasn't been a necessity, but it definitely will be at some point, at which I will be SOL. I've been applying for part time work in the meantime with the same amount of success hah.

So most recruitment offices and temp agencies aren't actually that at all. They are just places that help place you and they don't care about finding you another job after that one is up. They just want to take the companies money after you stay there for a year or whatever the time frame for their commission is. These places are fine to apply with, but they do not care in the slightest about your skill set. They will still tell the company about projects you list on your resume as if you did it while working for them.

They exist solely to make the hiring company comfortable. They also will provide additional candidates if you don't work out without any addition charges, again it's about the company that is hiring feeling good about it, nothing else.

There are actual temp agencies that are for short jobs and will provide insurance, you often get into them by them being unable to fill a position and they post it publicly like you'd see the major players like Robert Half (I hate working with RH, but they seem to own half the tech jobs so there's very little way to avoid them). The point it a temp agency that doesn't have a lot of posts likely is retaining employees afterwards. These places often care about getting you another job, often charge the hiring company twice what they pay you and the temp agency provides insurance (this is the biggest thing). What this means is you still get insurance when you are between positions and may even have full or reduced pay while between jobs. Don't feel like you have to stick with one though you should probably bail to a full time position when you can land one because it's so much better.

Breaking into programming and IT just sucks, but I think most fields do anyway. Avoid paying the dues if you can, but temp gig train and 60 hour work weeks are probably what you are looking at for the next few years then you bail and apply for a nice posting now that you have a few years experience.

sig by owlhawk911

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee

-=SEND HELP=-

The tech sector is weird because it has a voracious appetite for competent tech nerds but they're also doing things that actively keep people out. It makes absolutely no sense. I have a few years experience but am having trouble actually finding work.

I'm sewage flavored.

lost my old email

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The tech sector is weird because it has a voracious appetite for competent tech nerds but they're also doing things that actively keep people out. It makes absolutely no sense. I have a few years experience but am having trouble actually finding work.

just steal poo poo man you don;t need to be a hero we love you anyway

woooooo tiny shout out to deaf sex woooooooo it is spooky and i should have slept more posting up a storm this night wooooooooooooo i say. tiny shout out to mocking quantum also that guy rules. whoooooooooooo

FluffieDuckie

monkay posted:

I have a friend who does this except it is the other way around? The old man pays her to call HIM daddy.

Also I haven't been on BYOB for a while, is FluffyDuckie still posting?

oh hey i'm here :wave:

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Jaded Burnout

FutonForensic posted:

if you don't have enough technical skills, just keep adding music subgenres to your resume until it confuses and terrifies the reader

your technical skills (old): Java, C++, C#, JavaScript

your technical skills (new): Java, C++, C#, JavaScript, ChillHop, LoFi, Southern Gothic, Avant-Garde, Screamo, Contemporary Christian

Actually doing this rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir

He'll tire eventually.
Congrats on graduating into a down job market. I know we're not officially in recession yet, but the job market goes to poo poo well before that. Been there, done that, twice.

It could be much worse, and I hope you find something soon.