Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
cult movies are weird, because like, there is big ones like rocky horror that are bigger and more popular than most mainstream hits. I don't know if anyone in 2019 hasn't seen rocky horror multiple times. So is it even a cult movie at that point? Then actual cult movies are like ultra niche interest stuff with no wide appeal. and there is a fine line between hipster "I only like this obscure movie, you wouldn't understand" and the thing where a certain movie has very specific focuses that make it resonate with one and only one type of person and bounce off everyone else.

Like the thing people call cult movies are often very popular but weird or badly made movies that have a general sense of mainstream acceptance and most people that watch them go "heh, yeah, that was great, what the hell?", where real cult movies are the ones a small group of people connect with entirely that anyone else watching would say "what the hell was that? why did you show me that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

gurragadon posted:

What do you think is a cult movie? Like it seems like your putting a lot of emphasis on the obscurity or weirdness which I agree are important but do you think the audience can define what a cult movie is or not?

Its not just BEING obscure, it's deserving to be obscure that makes something seem like a true cult movie.

Something like rocky horror or the room seem like just weird or bad movies that generally everyone likes for generally the same reason. If you showed a room full of people it you'd find a ton of them who loved it. If you showed a room full of people "Black Moon", or "The Discovery of Television Among the Bees", no one would like it, they would ask "why did you show me that?" and the expected reaction would be absolutely negative from almost everyone watching it. But like, maybe one guy would be like, way way way into it. (I mean, send that one guy to jail depending on why he was into black moon I guess)

Like cult movies to me are the movies that not only are they not popular, but that they would never ever be popular, just a bad or weird movie that everyone likes if they see it seems not the same sort of thing. Not everyone has seen a neil breen movie, but if they did you can name a pretty huge audience that would enjoy a thing like that. A movie like greaser's place is not seen by many people, would not be liked by most people if they did see it and will always be an obscure movie, but a few people REALLLLLY like that movie. It has a cult following.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Freakazoid_ posted:

yeah, well, you know that's just like, uhh, your opinion, man.

I don't know, people use cult as a synonym for weird and bad movies, but stuff like the room is pretty mainstream. It's on major television networks as a major event to show it. I am sure someone doesn't like it but it found an audience very easily. It's not like you are going to show random people "The Color of Pomegranates" and get that kind of reaction. it's a movie that most people would not like, it's got no mainstream hook at all, but the people that like that movie, they really REALLY like that movie and will talk it up as the greatest film in history. And that feels like it's what splits a true cult film from just a weird film.