Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Mystery Steve posted:

I wonder how this will shape up against hytale? When I saw the trailer I assumed it was the same game / devs. Cube world seems to be showing its age looks wise.

Hytale has an entire development studio and outside helpers from the game industry behind it. Cube World is the passion project of one dude and his wife from Germany. Hytale's gonna be much bigger.

and more playable i hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Okay, so now I kind of want to take the Spirit Bell -- which yes, I finally got -- over to the graveyard, and I kind of don't. It'll probably just be a massacre like everywhere else on the map. (Yes, I played CW during lunch, while jamming PB&J into my face. So?)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dodging as a rogue increases your stealth :haw:

E: My bell is in the middle of a lava lake. Just chilling, over a big pool of lava. Not certain how to approach this.

Also: performance problems seemed to have been my own drat fool fault for setting the refresh rate to 144hz with vsync on. At 60hz and vsync off I’m running just fine at 75% draw distance.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 23, 2019

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/1176210064065093633

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Internet Kraken posted:

Is it possible this guy wasn't working on this and just quickly slapped together a "final" version just to make some cash

What's the problem?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

DatonKallandor posted:

I don't know how it could be anything but good considering the version we had before was already good. I doubt the game got worse.

My friend, have you ever heard of Starbound?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

It took a bit to get the hang of it, but the game is p fun now

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

It sounds like the real problem is that he completely changed the gameplay loop and didn't tell anyone before the game came out and also didn't put anything explaining it into the game.

I'm probably just going to wait until either things stabilize a bit (or wol_lay blows up again, whichever comes first) before I try to get back into it though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Emong posted:

It sounds like the real problem is that he completely changed the gameplay loop and didn't tell anyone before the game came out and also didn't put anything explaining it into the game.
and is barely explaining it out of the game, he's giving vague hints about stuff on the steam forums apparently

i mean, like, basic gameplay stuff like "how do you level up and what happens when you do"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
hey what do I do at the literal start, I got told where a Magic Book was but the enemies there have 10x my HP and twoshot me and I can't craft anything/don't see a town to buy things in/allies to fight for me/gear to upgrade

edit: that said, I figured out how to use the big map enough to find where they pointed me to The Reins which sound like my drat hang glider, so okay, let's go there instead

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Apparently "completing" a region (which seems to just be finding the region's artifact) causes all gear dropped in that region to be "+", meaning it will work in the next 2-3 regions (or within the same Kingdom, confirmation is still sketchy). So progression seems to be going from region to region, acquiring artifacts, and slowly building up your gear that way. If you decided to just blitz past areas, then your progression starts to degrade. On one hand, I can see what Wolfram is trying to do, but on the other hand the very initial experience is still very rough around the edges. Tomorrow's patch forcing players to spawn in a town is going to help a lot of the issues, but things need to be tinkered where mobs next to towns should be a bit nerfed so that players can get some experience in how combat works and to earn some initial money without dying over and over. Also the game really should tell you that pressing F1 brings up character controls.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Nope, as I should have guessed, the Reins are to tame a mount. How do I do that? I randomly found some food that's listed under "Pet", do I walk up to mobs and spam it at them?

edit: editing in my answers from googling+steam forums, each item is for a specific mob, you'll likely have to google, click on it in inv and walk up to them

apparently these Cabbage Rolls tame a non-rideable snail.

new question, what do towns look like on the map?

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 23, 2019

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Nope, as I should have guessed, the Reins are to tame a mount. How do I do that? I randomly found some food that's listed under "Pet", do I walk up to mobs and spam it at them?

You Google "cube world pet food" to figure out what the hell creature its for and then you hold it in front of said creature

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I like the concept of just releasing a game and letting people figure out everything for themselves, but drat man you've got to at least include some kind of tutorial or basic guidance for the start of the game, because drat does Cubeworld have some obtuse mechanics that aren't common in other games of the genre. People like to explore procedural worlds but exploration is actively punished here if you do too much of it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
aww I found a guy under attack by some Ogres and kited them to the nearest Explorer's Guild dudes but it turns out that those NPCs can't hurt enemies so they just died eventually and it's all my fault :(

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Is it possible this guy wasn't working on this and just quickly slapped together a "final" version just to make some cash

He showed work in progress stuff for the last 4 years, I believe.

It is possible the guy finally lost interest in the development of his game, after this many years. It happens. So maybe he finally got it out because of that.

Then again, when a game like this is finally 'finished'? When to end it? You can always add or improve stuff, forever and ever. It's hard to know in open sandboxes games like this, when you are your own boss instead of being in a company receiving clear cut orders. You have to wake up one day and say 'this is it'.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The cynic in me thinks that he saw Hytale is drawing close to open beta, and realised that if he didn't release cubeworld soon, it'd be completely and totally overshadowed by it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
...do I really have to pixel hunt the map for more of the the respawn point Statue of Life or whatever it's called?

e: and when I find one, is there like, a "mark map with waypoint" button?

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 23, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
MMB sets a map waypoint.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Daztek posted:

It took a bit to get the hang of it, but the game is p fun now

Yeah, once I'd figured out what all my options were in combat and I had some basic gear upgrades the game started to open up a lot.

I don't know how much of this is common to all classes, but as an assassin-specced rogue I had:

Basic attack, on mouse 1
Special attack, on mouse 2: a fast forward thrust with a poison effect
Dodge, on mouse 3 + direction (not a great-feeling place for it, I think I'm going to switch to gamepad tomorrow and see what that's like)
"Poison Grenade", on mouse 3 with no direction- launches a sort of grenade thing with a large range and AoE which poisons everything it hits
"Sneak", on left shift: slows your movement and increases the "stealth" meter as long as it's held
Camoflage, on R with a cooldown: immediately go to max stealth and stay there for about twenty seconds or so.

Once you put this all together it's surprisingly technical. The stealth meter, which I'm assuming is assassin-only, makes it harder for enemies to detect you- when it's maxed out, you have to be basically on top of them before they'll notice. It doesn't cause them to lose track of you once you've alerted them, though. It also applies, either a damage mult or a crit chance boost, which scales with how much stealth you currently have, and above a certain level of stealth it also increases your MP bar. Beyond the class abilities I also found myself gaining stealth from dodging and, uh, wall-jumping.

MP is also increased by attacking and dodging, and drains quickly when you're not doing those things. It's spent to use your special attack- each special costs your entire stock of MP, and the more MP you have the higher the damage it does.

There's also a stamina bar, which is needed to dodge and throw grenades- you can get about four or five dodges out of a full bar or a single grenade. It feels pretty tightly balanced- it replenishes quickly enough that you can dodge pretty regularly but not so much that you won't run out if you try to spam it, or for it not to be a problem when it does.

So you can sneak through groups, picking off strays and stragglers with stealth kills before they pot you. In the melee, you dance around, throwing out jabs and keeping distance until the moment's right to slam in for massive damage. Or you pop your ult and become King Death of Murder Mountain, chain-ganking the entire group without a single one of them noticing. Or if none of that appeals, you can hit the lot of them with the grenade from half a field away and wait for them to come to you.

It's all very effective feeling, and very class-appropriate. I'm- pleasantly surprised? There are some solid bones here for a combat system.

But then there are the problems. All the animations are floaty and weightless, and everybody seems to be able to cancel out of them instantaneously. Characters don't seem to have any momentum and even the giant ones turn on a dime. The dodge has a lot of iframes but doesn't cover a lot of ground. All that together means you have no ability to pull range and dictate distance- once an enemy is on you they tend to stay on you, as if magnetised. Their attacks tend to have very short animations without a lot of windup. If they do telegraph their moves, it can be hard to read because of the lo-fi aesthetic. That means that a lot of the time you just can't avoid taking damage, which puts a sharp cap on how far skill can allow you to punch above your weight. There are times where it feels like you're trying to knife-fight a school of piranha. Your attacks will affect anything whose hitbox they intersect, which can feel really good when you land a max-damage special and wipe out an entire gang of ogres, but makes it easy to accidentally hurt friendlies with larger weapons and, on the flipside, means you'll end up whiffing quite a lot on enemies with small hitboxes.

With a little more polish and attention to detail I think I could really enjoy this combat, but there are a hundred little things about it that are constantly loving me off.

The tiering really doesn't help. Like most games that try this coloured enemy name nonsense it is far, far too vertical. Punch something one tier higher than your weapon and you may well not do any damage at all. If that wasn't bad enough, enemy types aren't consistently tiered, so you can find tier 1 ogres and tier 4 slimes. Two enemies with the exact same model and skin can be light-years apart in difficulty depending on the colour of their name.

Other than that, it seems pretty good? Now I have the performance licked exploration is pretty fun. It's not empty the way it was before; there's a whole bunch of poo poo to see and do and a fair variety of it. Even if you fail to stumble across something yourself there's an army of adventurers around the place to give you tips and point you to content. The regioning is some dumb poo poo. I watch, bemused, as I cross an invisible boundary in the middle of the ocean and my boat evaporates from under me. I understand feeling like you need some way to get more vertical into your game but this is such a bad solution. It's probably the one critical flaw in the whole thing.

Levelling, I don't miss. Skill trees neither, though I feel like one more active would round off the assassin's toolset nicely.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Assassin Rogue Stuff

I think the only thing you missed is that you can do Mouse 2 while holding shift (stealth) to do a lunge attack.

Ranger (Sniper) works similarily:
Mouse 1 attacks, builds mana. Shift goes stealth, high stealth builds mana. Directional dodge slightly stealths (stealth builds mana), non-directional dodge with all 4 points of stamina does a massive backjump with huge stealth and mana buildup.
Mouse 2 held charges up an attack up to wherever your current mana is, then spends all of it on release.
Ultimate creates a shadow clone that duplicates all your attacks.

I think you have a chance to get a buff when you M1 attack (this part I'm not 100% sure on, cause I switched to Scout early and have been doing that since), which is consumed on a M2 - it gives you maximum possible charge so you don't have to hold M2 you just tap it to fire all your (currently built up) mana's worth of damage instantly. This is how it works for the Scout and I think I remember it also being the case for Sniper.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Here's some things I found out. F1 brings up help text in the lower left which lets you know what to push to do attacks. Like it shows M1, M2, MMB, MMB+ movement. I didn't realize MMB does a thing if you push it without moving until I found the help. F2 and F3 make the text and map bigger or smaller and F4 hides the UI. I found these out thanks to my cat rolling over my keys.

If a monster health bar is red, that means it's aggro and will attack. Aggro range is pretty big also.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What's up with crafting? Do they really want me to walk all over town to craft five subcomponents at five different interaction points (that I don't seem to be able to make myself and place myself) just to make a weapon that's like, as good as a random NPC sale/drop?

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Would be nice if you could break loot down into resources. Even just one wood/iron cube or linen per piece would be great. Resources are way too rare, I managed to pick up like eight logs total and I'm nearly done with my first zone. Haven't crafted a single weapon or piece of armor.

On another note, I found out that mobs respawn at midnight. If you happen to be doing a "kill em all" type quest like the slime wells at the time, well, have fun starting over :shepface:

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017
The game gets WAY too dark at night imo, even with the lamp on it's pretty difficult to see anything more than a few feet in front of me and it's pretty common for me to be unable to tell where the mobs killing me are.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Ironically I didn't know what Hytale was until I saw it mentioned here and oh boy is that game gonna eat this ones lunch

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Songbearer posted:

Ironically I didn't know what Hytale was until I saw it mentioned here and oh boy is that game gonna eat this ones lunch

Hytale doesn't have a release date yet, and as much fun as I had in cubeworld today it's still a voxel procgen botw, I'll be done with it at a point likely to be long before hytale comes out. I don't really think they're even competing for the same market as much as you'd think.

Cubeworld's got a really rough start now, I feel like the starting weapons should have at least twice as much damage on them. I think they have trouble dealing with the tiny amount of armor regular mobs have. Also there isn't nearly enough iron/wool/whatever for filling out a full set of starting gear. That'd help a ton in the beginning, too.

Once you hit the groove and find your first big upgrade to put you ahead of the curve though, hot drat. I went from being afraid of pretty much everything to throwing myself into a literal hell portal and whirlwinding because what're these lovely demons gonna do, kill me?

Also my friend got their mount first, turns out you can ride Collies. I got mine second when we found a black cat. Nothing like a goblin ranger and frog warrior riding out to meet the hordes of mordor on a border collie and a cat. :black101:

PSA: To get a mount you need a pet food for an animal you can mount, you equip it in your pet slot and interact with them when they run up to eat it. This gives you that pet in your pet slot, and they’ll follow you and die horribly to basically everything but they respawn so it’s okay. Pressing t whistles for them to come near, and if you have the reins you can press t while they’re near to ride them.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 24, 2019

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I can't believe I went offline for a weekend and Cube World happened

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Completed my first zone, got a bunch of yellow weapons, and armor but only one with a + on it. Went on to an ocean biome which was a big mistake considering its MUCH harder to get geared up there since there isn't as many mobs and low level dungeons. Seems that he re-tweaked the ocean biome this time around by removing literally all the fish mobs.

Guess I'll do a grassland biome and see how it is. Overall I like the changes, though I think starting in a village will be super helpful, and maybe even giving the player a beginning quest. Making things like the glider and boat region locked is also sorta hard, since you could be sailing through the water when suddenly the boat just stops working.

The WORST part about region locking though is getting a dungeon that starts in one region and goes to another completely underground. Suddenly halfway through a dungeon I go from 700 hp back down to 150 hp because I stepped over an invisible barrier. At least I can kite some of the mobs over, that line but even this trick gets impossible as the dungeon continues onward. Overall though, I think the idea of region locking is an interesting one, but needs some more polish.

Another issue is that the rewards for completing a zone by getting the artifact really need to be much better. Right now they just give a + to swim speed, or +1 to climb speed or other useless stats. This doesn't do much for me when I first enter a new zone, which is the hardest and most annoying point in the game.

Also, each region should have guaranteed spawns of all required items and crafting people, which definitely doesn't seem to be the case with oceans. Even in the forest zone I was in, I was never able to find the bell for example, even though there were areas that definitely required it. Townspeople at this point are also completely useless. They only want to talk about all the quests I've completed, and since I have almost everything it'd be nice if they could you tell me where something is that I don't have, rather then me playing the "find the odd thing on the map" game.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Performance seems to be worst in areas with lots of characters and creatures roaming around. AI problem maybe?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Solvency posted:

Also, each region should have guaranteed spawns of all required items and crafting people, which definitely doesn't seem to be the case with oceans. Even in the forest zone I was in, I was never able to find the bell for example, even though there were areas that definitely required it. Townspeople at this point are also completely useless. They only want to talk about all the quests I've completed, and since I have almost everything it'd be nice if they could you tell me where something is that I don't have, rather then me playing the "find the odd thing on the map" game.
fuuuck, they don't get useful when you clear more?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Are there still the bigger cities from the alpha? I've only seen a couple small villages so far.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Cube World: A Fresh New Take On Region Locking

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
How do you get underground? I've had the treasure spirit point me to multiple treasures inside hills and haven't seen anything like a tunnel or a cave to get in. The spirit bell sure doesn't do it.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
I saw that someone dropped a bomb on a location and it blew open a cave or something. Maybe try that for treasure spirit locations?

So after bouncing off this hard on the first evening, the second time around things clicked and I am having fun. Now this is only in my first region so I don't know if I will rebound hard as soon as I make the first region transition but I am willing to give it a try.

I loved the Alpha for the exploration but to be honest most of the map was lifeless. Cool locations for sure but no reason to stick around. It was great for the feeling of seeing what was over the next hill and mapping out a region. Beta is very different. The regions are packed with events, locations, unlocks. Once you get the ball rolling, I found there was tons of stuff to do, a rough structure and overall goals. Its really different. It suffers from the same issue as Alpha in that the beginning for new players/characters is incredibly rough. You have no gear or information and the whole game feels like bullshit. But as soon as you get the first bits of green/blue gear, it all starts flowing, more locations become do-able, you can actually fight more of the enemies.

The lack of game information should get resolved soon as we find out more about the new game mechanics but for now I can share what made me go from 'this is crap' to 'this is actually ok'.

1) Collect everything from the ground and sell it at the town (mushrooms, apples, crafting stuff). Try to buy a green weapon at least.
2) Avoid fighting enemies that aren't at or below your gear level. Its just not worth the time or respawning. Change the colour rating to show the stars in the options.
3) You can mark places on the map with middle mouse. Examine the map and mark any respawn shrines. Visit these and play the flute to unlock them as fast travel locations. You can fast travel to these from anywhere.
4) Just don't bother with the night. Go to town and reset it to day for 10g.
5) Talk to every npc. They will mark places on the map along with the difficulty. Do the events/locations that match your gear. They will drop the next tier of quality.
6) If anything looks out of place or weird on the map, there probably something going on there. Mark it with middle-mouse. Chain these together with finding respawn shrines. Exploring this way was quite cool.
7) "Leftovers" can be identified in town.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
More updates :toot:
https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/1176604455829200896
https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/1176604666290946048
I think I'll hold off on playing more at least until the official release, maybe restart with a mage or a rogue. Maybe make sure to start in a place as far away from ocean biomes as possible, because holy crap :whitewater:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kore_Fero posted:

3) You can mark places on the map with middle mouse. Examine the map and mark any respawn shrines. Visit these and play the flute to unlock them as fast travel locations. You can fast travel to these from anywhere.
wait what, you can travel to them? how the gently caress?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

wait what, you can travel to them? how the gently caress?

Tiny blue circles on the map -- click 'em.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

We found out that you can drop artifacts and pick them up on another character that doesn't already have those artifacts, so you can in theory just have all of your artifacts on whatever character you want to play.

Also we found 3 artifacts in 1 zone. I don't know why.

Also you can drop your upgrades like the boat and hang glider. The boat seems to just create a spawn for that boat pickup, so if a group of you is starting the new ocean one of you can fly out to the town, pick up the boat, and then bring it back and drop it and everyone can have it. We were playing around with swapping characters between zones and it really seems like there's zero downside, as + gear is exceedingly rare so you probably won't have any. You lose the gold, but gold is kinda worthless anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

kxZyle posted:

More updates :toot:
https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/1176604455829200896
https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/1176604666290946048
I think I'll hold off on playing more at least until the official release, maybe restart with a mage or a rogue. Maybe make sure to start in a place as far away from ocean biomes as possible, because holy crap :whitewater:

My second biome was an ocean, it just kinda happened that way since I got some nice gear for that zone by dragging mobs in a dungeon that crossed borders back to the original zone where I could oblitterate them at will. Fortunately got the boat almost immediately. Now I kinda enjoy it in a low key chill kind of way.

Also nice to see Wollay being prompt with patches. He seems to leave forum stuff to his wife and a moderation theme which is probably a wise choice for reasons of mental hygiene.

Furthermore, am I missing something or is the lantern completely random? Sometimes my character seems to have one, sometimes not - and all within the same zone. It's highly confusing. :v: