Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Furthermore, am I missing something or is the lantern completely random? Sometimes my character seems to have one, sometimes not - and all within the same zone. It's highly confusing. :v:
It's a bound key. press it to take the lantern out or put it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Amppelix posted:

It's a bound key. press it to take the lantern out or put it away.

Oh, doh, so it is. No idea how I managed to overlook that. Thanks!

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Inepta Lacerta posted:

My second biome was an ocean, it just kinda happened that way since I got some nice gear for that zone by dragging mobs in a dungeon that crossed borders back to the original zone where I could oblitterate them at will. Fortunately got the boat almost immediately.

That's almost exactly how I got started on my second ocean biome. First one was from an artifact discovery in my home zone. I didn't like either of them. Waaaaay to empty, too much sailing. At least on land I can keep an eye out for resources and shoot some mobs while chasing a waypoint.

Also, AFAIK in ocean biomes the boat always spawns on the first island you land on.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

kxZyle posted:

Also, AFAIK in ocean biomes the boat always spawns on the first island you land on.

That's a good thing, certainly. I remember not having a boat back in alpha and trying to get places in ocean biomes. Brrr.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
moar:
https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/1176937329325461517
https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/1176937500184649728
I guess we're sticking to a patch a day for the beta.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
When's "fixed an issue where crafting sucks major dong because of the number of spots you have to hit to do anything"

Also how do you upgrade your items, I like, stuck some wood on my bow? I think? But I can't tell if it does anything and if so if sticking iron on there would be better or...

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
No, that's how it works. You stick blocks on your weapon and get extra damage. That's it.

Of course it doesn't make sense to upgrade region-locked gear, especially with how stingy the game is with mats. The customization system made more sense in the alpha where you got to keep using your gear and bosses dropped Spirit Cubes.

Vittek
Nov 8, 2006
I wish the artifacts would give you actual combat stats. Even just a little like +20hp or something, so you have a bit of character progression instead of the useless ride/sail/glide speed. I do like the way Wollay is going, but like this I'm having a hard time finding reasons to finish a region for the artifacts.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Kore_Fero posted:

1) Collect everything from the ground and sell it at the town (mushrooms, apples, crafting stuff). Try to buy a green weapon at least.

The town I started at has garbage for sale. Do they get new items at some point?

quote:

2) Avoid fighting enemies that aren't at or below your gear level. Its just not worth the time or respawning. Change the colour rating to show the stars in the options.

This kind of worked, though I got a false sense of security. A group that was "my level" still oneshot me.

quote:

5) Talk to every npc. They will mark places on the map along with the difficulty. Do the events/locations that match your gear. They will drop the next tier of quality.

The white one star quest I got is a 2500 hp witch that oneshots me.

I don't see how I'm supposed to progress when the town has no better gear for sale and the only quest at "my level" is impossible. The only crafting recipes I have for better gear need iron. I have no idea where to get that.

The combat isn't even interesting. The enemies just bum rush. In the time it takes my warrior to swing the club I get hit 3-4 times.

Yeah I don't think this game is for me.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Note that regions don’t have only one town. We found one the other day that had 4 towns in it.

Also townspeople can sometimes have quests, but most of your info will come from adventurer groups, so go wander around and look for them. You can even talk to all of them at once to speed it up, there’s a ding that plays if you got new info on a spot.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

VegasGoat posted:

The town I started at has garbage for sale. Do they get new items at some point?

Their inventories expand when you save captured gnomes.

Those are some of the tougher quests, though, because you have to kill whatever’s guarding them.

VegasGoat posted:

The white one star quest I got is a 2500 hp witch that oneshots me.

Yeah, boss monsters can be super spicy. It varies depending on what they were spawned from- the absolute worst fight I had was against a giant flying radish, cause those guys have this bullshit spin attack and they spam it constantly.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Yeah I think those radishes were the ones marked white one star that also killed me immediately.

I'll probably give it one more shot, maybe try and find some iron and at least make the best armor I can to see if that helps.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I'd try either ranger or mage. Being able to kite makes the early game much easier.

With a ranger, in particular, if you switch from sniper to scout spec you get a really good ability called quicksand trap that holds enemies, a close-range kick that can KO, and a backflip with pretty good range.

e:
https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/1177289884236754944
https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/1177290106870411264

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 26, 2019

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Aww melting every enemy with shift right click was extremely satisfying

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/1177673453236871169
https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/1177673701136982016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Huh, it looks like the sword-marked locations respawn every day or two? I could use that to farm equipment way below my level but I'm still stonewalled on purple towers that need defeating.

(I did get some purple gear from the sewers near a town, is that the preferred method of grinding equipment when you can't get the next-level-up crafting book? as though I'd ever craft.)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

“Multiplayer widget doesn't crash anymore when you have 14 friends” haha what the gently caress.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

What the gently caress, Wollay. Ninja is already basically the worst class in the game and you're making it absolute garbage.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Actually the shuriken did completely absurd damage at range and allowed me to cheese everything

Of course, now they might be the worst class.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 29, 2019

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Infinity Gaia posted:

What the gently caress, Wollay. Ninja is already basically the worst class in the game and you're making it absolute garbage.

Isn't the shuriken change a buff? It was incorrectly consuming 50 stamina per throw before on the shift+left click shurikens.

Caffeinated Jerkoff fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 29, 2019

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I'm not sure this version of Cube World is actually good

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
New patch, wasn't posted on wollay's twitter:

pixxie on steam posted:

- Wand damage of enemy mages decreased by 25%

- Mage teleport distance is back to normal

- Dungeon enemy size is limited to prevent them from spawning outside

- Help widget visible by default for new characters

- Added help button in escape menu

- Magic barriers in overlapping dungeons are now correctly disabled

- Big demon portals now always spawn at the center of altars

- Item receipt notifications now consider plus-equipment

- Pet scaling considers plus-equipment

- Level of other players is now displayed when they are highlighted

e: The official site's also been updated, game releases at 9AM PDT tomorrow.

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 29, 2019

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Thirsty Dog posted:

I'm not sure this version of Cube World is actually good

"Every map region is like its own little open world game!" is an interesting concept, but having all of your items disappear or become worthless each time you cross a border feels really bad, especially for the mobility upgrades.

Maybe in another 6 years Wollay will patch the fun parts back in :v:

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Yeah it would work way better if mobility stuff wasn't taken away. And your gear didn't become completely useless. And artifacts actually gave worthwhile upgrades.

:smith:

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
I made the move into another zone, and yeah its rough to start over. Hold onto any plus gear you find, especially weapons. I think the reset wouldn't be so bad if being badly geared didn't suck so much. As it is, the content you can do is few and far between and usually not revealed, meaning you get to wander for a long time running from everything. I think allowing gear to be upgraded to plus for a scaling cost could be a nice addition.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Welp, it's out. Costs $20/20€/£17.99, no 1.0 patch notes so far (game has updated).

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I was really interested in buying the game that WAS, but not so much in the game it has become.
Region locking items seems to have pissed quite a few people off and seems like a bad move.
i'll think i'll hold off on buying to see whats done to it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Reviews aren't looking so great :(

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Tbh I don’t get why people are so mad about region locking. The point of the game is exploration, and if you can just go to the next area and immediately delete 99% of it what’s the point?

It speaks more to a deeper problem of exploration not being quite rewarding enough. I liked the idea of each mobility item making it better for each one you find, and maybe not making the region lock quite so hardcore, like make it so you’re at green quality or something so you can stay in that groove. Also an overarching goal, like we have a pocket dimension house to decorate with crap we find out in the world or something? Or legendary quests that span multiple regions for weird weapons or mobility tools.

A lot of the reviews are going to be from people who played the gently caress out of the alpha for 6 years and are mad it’s different. Most people haven’t even heard of cube world before.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Tbh I don’t get why people are so mad about region locking. The point of the game is exploration, and if you can just go to the next area and immediately delete 99% of it what’s the point?

I don't get this line of reasoning at all. Why would that be the case? The game could be designed a number of different ways that would be a lot better than how it is now, it's not like it's some impossible task to make areas further out from your start point become harder and harder, with scaling enemies and a smooth ramp up in player power. As it is now, once you complete a region, that's it, you've pretty much done everything the game has to offer, progression-wise. Artifacts are perhaps the worst carrot on a stick I've ever seen in a game, they are woefully uncompelling. It was a huge, huge misstep to invalidate exploration in a procgen voxel world. We've had like a decade of progression-based mods for Minecraft that work a lot better than the region system, so it's not like there aren't a tonne of examples to learn from.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Harminoff posted:

Reviews aren't looking so great :(
Every review is from an alpha buyer who got access to the beta, so they're more predisposed to not like the game since it's gone through extensive changes.

So I wouldn't take them as an indication of the game's relative quality. In either direction, mind you.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

It hasn’t been changed for the better. That’s for sure.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It speaks more to a deeper problem of exploration not being quite rewarding enough. I liked the idea of each mobility item making it better for each one you find, and maybe not making the region lock quite so hardcore, like make it so you’re at green quality or something so you can stay in that groove. Also an overarching goal, like we have a pocket dimension house to decorate with crap we find out in the world or something? Or legendary quests that span multiple regions for weird weapons or mobility tools.

A lot of the reviews are going to be from people who played the gently caress out of the alpha for 6 years and are mad it’s different. Most people haven’t even heard of cube world before.

It's massively counter-intuitive. You cross a boundary because you want to see some new scenery and poof, all of a sudden all your stuff is worthless.

Cube World 2019 is a bad game. It has pretty boring proc gen, stupid early game difficulty, non-existant AI, tedious itemisation, awful balance, and a threadbare quest system.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's an alright game, but shallow, with outdated obtuse mechanics and no explanation of skills or anything, and kinda pricey for what you get.

Like honestly, the game doesn't have a tutorial, manual, or even tooltips explaining the various skills.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Thirsty Dog posted:

Cube World 2019 is a bad game. It has pretty boring proc gen, stupid early game difficulty, non-existant AI, tedious itemisation, awful balance, and a threadbare quest system.
I fully completed one (1) region and had a pretty great time doing so. Took about 10 hours or thereabouts. I'll probably not play the game again, so that's not great value for this kind of procgen RPG but it's not terrible either, and multiplayer can extend that too. 's an ok game.

Also it does have a help display but of course you don't know how to turn it on (well you didn't, but it's now on by default)

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

That’s great but he was developing a much different game then he ended up releasing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok?

The people who might be buying it right now don't have to, and won't, give a single thought to that.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Just like with the alpha years ago, I've been playing it coop with a buddy, and had fun for hours with the game. And there's probably still a few hours in the tank until we finish a region. We might even do an ocean region too just to see what it's like. Just don't obsess over the game you wish Cube World could be, because what's there right now is pretty good for the price.

I think maybe the aesthetic is hurting it, because people see minecraft graphics and think it'll be a 1000 hour game to play forever, when it's really a 10-15 hour RPG.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

nightwisher posted:

I don't get this line of reasoning at all. Why would that be the case? The game could be designed a number of different ways that would be a lot better than how it is now, it's not like it's some impossible task to make areas further out from your start point become harder and harder, with scaling enemies and a smooth ramp up in player power. As it is now, once you complete a region, that's it, you've pretty much done everything the game has to offer, progression-wise. Artifacts are perhaps the worst carrot on a stick I've ever seen in a game, they are woefully uncompelling. It was a huge, huge misstep to invalidate exploration in a procgen voxel world. We've had like a decade of progression-based mods for Minecraft that work a lot better than the region system, so it's not like there aren't a tonne of examples to learn from.

All of this can be correct and region locking still isn’t necessarily bad, and that’s my point. The problem is the carrot is boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lmao that cube world is real