Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Thing I love the most about this series is that it has that janky 1st ed feel that reminds me of playing DnD with my bros back in middle school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AweStriker posted:

I'm taking a third option and making him PROFESSOR MEMBRAAAANE!!!

Man, I keep forgetting just how goddamn much VA work Rodger Bumpass has done in the past

also I forgot Eugene Levy did Sternn in the movie

findin out all sorts of things today

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

:rip:

*checks pulse* He's fine—just unconscious.

Hey, isn't getting mistaken for a man Justine's gig?

Shut it, Lincoln. "HE" can have it.

Nice to see you back in action, Chokes. Although I'm disappointed you've given up on the DW3 run. I though Nina and Swindle had great chemistry. Granted, it was the kind of chemistry that gave us the term "minimum safe distance," but still.

Have you permanently abandoned the Paper Sorcerer run as well? The offer to play up to the point you were at still stands if you lost the save.

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 25, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

Hey, isn't getting mistaken for a man Justine's gig?

Shut it, Lincoln. "HE" can have it.

Nice to see you back in action, Chokes. Although I'm disappointed you've given up on the DW3 run. I though Nina and Swindle had great chemistry. Granted, it was the kind of chemistry that gave us the term "minimum safe distance," but still.

Have you permanently abandoned the Paper Sorcerer run as well? The offer to play up to the point you were at still stands if you lost the save.

There’s nothing wrong with that section. Heather is commenting on Sternn being dead. :colbert:

DW3 is DOA unfortunately. Like I said in the OP, it just bored me. This ones got legs though. And I’m unsure about PS, I was going to give Llewyn and Co. a proper sendoff during this one but now I’m on the fence.

I gotta be honest with you, this feels a whole lot like my swan song. Maybe it’s just because I’m revisiting so many past characters, but still.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Ooh a Dark Tower style Chokes LP! This one does feel like it has more room for your creative narratives, even if I'm a little sad that Nina and company's story stalled out. As a big Chokes fangirl, I look forward to more of your writing as always, and hey! Shanna being here means they're here in spirit. Good luck friend

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I just hope you can survive the boredom gauntlet of Secret of the Silver Blades so you can get to the absolute insanity of Pools of Darkness.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Jason Sextro posted:

I just hope you can survive the boredom gauntlet of Secret of the Silver Blades so you can get to the absolute insanity of Pools of Darkness.

I want to go on record to say SSB never bored me. But then I was an adolescent last I played it.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
God I played the gently caress out of PoR when it was new, but I only really remember the weird spraddle-leg sprites in combat, trying to camp like twenty times in a row (and being constanly interrupted by monsters), and how a town was actually called "Phlan", like, for serious. I think I played Azure Bonds too, but only because of the link to the novel which I loved.

I bailed on the series later as it started to feel kinda samey. It didn't help that my PC version didn't have nearly as nice graphics as the Amiga versions here, and I think later games might have demanded more from my low-end junker comp (that I didn't upgrade for years). I'm looking forward to seeing the stuff I missed!

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

There’s nothing wrong with that section. Heather is commenting on Sternn being dead. :colbert:

Ah, you're right. Sorry.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jason Sextro posted:

Jesus yes, SSB is such a slog. Who on Earth thought making everything a 64x64 map with zero content was a good idea? :mad:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also last night's adventures were hilarious and the game is once again molding itself around the LP.

Gonna try to have next update out by the weekend. That should take care of most of the Slums.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.
Okay, be honest, how many times did Sternn die this time?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

achtungnight posted:

I want to go on record to say SSB never bored me. But then I was an adolescent last I played it.

Hell, same. When I was an adolescent, that game was hard as hell. Nowadays I just cheese it to get through it as quickly as possible. I don't want to start talking spoilers so I'll just stop here.

This is great so far, though - SSI's commitment to including as much First Edition weirdness as possible in PoR actually makes it a good candidate for unintentional comedy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kliff posted:

Okay, be honest, how many times did Sternn die this time?

Up until this point, we've only had one KO and it was Unconscious instead of Dying/Dead.

This will change.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I am so pissed last night's escapades are going to be like a month or two down the road on updates because it has the single most hilarious moment so far and probably the defining moment of this LP.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Then update you gastard.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
A few notes:
Resist Cold cuts cold damage in half and grants +3 to saves against cold.
Sleep spell is tied to hit dice (which determine hp and other things) and works on enemies with 4 hit dice or fewer. In theory you could Sleep up to 16 Kobolds but you probably won't ever bother.
The death mechanic works as follows:
Reduced exactly to 0 hp? You are unconscious.
Reduced to between -1 and -9 hp? You are dying, losing 1 hp per round until you hit -10, which is death.
Reduced to -10 or below? You are dead.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Narsham posted:

In theory you could Sleep up to 16 Kobolds but you probably won't ever bother.

I disagree. Doing exactly this saved my character's and his party's life multiple times when we raided the notorious AD&D dungeon "Dragon Mountain".

There are in-game reasons too. My "Justice League" PoR characters mentioned in one of my previous posts on this thread also faced 16 or more Kobolds in random encounters multiple times thanks to their high stats, and casting Sleep was usually how they won at low levels. Sleep is truly this game's best 1st Level Spell. Sadly, it becomes useless quickly when you no longer regularly encounter monsters vulnerable to it- and in the rare cases at that point when you still encounter said monsters, you have better tools (like Fireball) for the same job.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I think the most it can get is 9 though, in a 3x3 grid? I mean 9 low-level monsters with a single first-level spell is nothing to sneeze at, by any means.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

achtungnight posted:

I disagree. Doing exactly this saved my character's and his party's life multiple times when we raided the notorious AD&D dungeon "Dragon Mountain".

There are in-game reasons too. My "Justice League" PoR characters mentioned in one of my previous posts on this thread also faced 16 or more Kobolds in random encounters multiple times thanks to their high stats, and casting Sleep was usually how they won at low levels. Sleep is truly this game's best 1st Level Spell. Sadly, it becomes useless quickly when you no longer regularly encounter monsters vulnerable to it- and in the rare cases at that point when you still encounter said monsters, you have better tools (like Fireball) for the same job.

sleep is always good at the low levels in any D&D game. it's insanely powerful for first level in general

i played the poo poo outta these gold box games but never finished any of them. i think pools of radiance was probably my favorite tho

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jason Sextro posted:

I think the most it can get is 9 though, in a 3x3 grid? I mean 9 low-level monsters with a single first-level spell is nothing to sneeze at, by any means.

9’s the limit per cast. I assure you.

Also, update tomorrow. The Slums have a poo poo ton more content than I realized, and combined with going over basic mechanics, I’ll need to split it into two updates. Things will pick up speed shortly after as we get to missions with purposes other than seek and destroy all life.

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013
Oh man, I was just looking through the LP archive about two weeks ago wondering if someone had ever LPed these games because I've been playing through them (on PC unfortunately, I'm too attached to Gold Box Companion) and I was very sad that no one had.

And now you are, this thread literally made my day, thanks. :)

(By the way, I fell into lurking on your FFL1 thread but I have to say: your rendition of Elly was absolutely perfect to what I was imagining when I made the suggestion. ^_^ )

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Reiska posted:

Oh man, I was just looking through the LP archive about two weeks ago wondering if someone had ever LPed these games because I've been playing through them (on PC unfortunately, I'm too attached to Gold Box Companion) and I was very sad that no one had.

(By the way, I fell into lurking on your FFL1 thread but I have to say: your rendition of Elly was absolutely perfect to what I was imagining when I made the suggestion. ^_^ )

Hell yeah. Good job coming up with the concept.

I keep forgetting who came up with Heather (Rabbi Raccoon?) but I think they’d get s kick out of knowing she made Rezen’s Meatshields All-Stars.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Pool of Radiance, Chapter 3: Looking to Train? Good Job!

Today on the Gold Box LP, we're continuing our quest to clear the Slums of its filthy subhuman trash. In the process, we'll gain a few levels, make a few friends, and maybe—just maybe—have some laughs along the way.

Welp! Let's get to stabbin' things!

Well, we're not dead yet. That's something.

That's the spirit!

gently caress off, Sternn.

That's the spirit!

Ooh! Whazzat!

Hmm?

That thing! On the map!

Rezen, I really don't think we should—

Looks like more treasure to me.

LET'S DO THIS poo poo

:sigh:

Hey, Frank. You ever feel like, I don't know, we're in some sort of game?

Nah, I've never felt that. You?

LAUNDRY DAY BITCHES

This fight's around the corner from the way out, and we're good on HP and spells, so let's just pop over and get it out of the way. I mean, it's not like we're massively outnumbered or anything!

Oh. Hmm.

Remember what I said about getting swarmed? This is about 25 kobolds and a kobold leader. The latter isn't too big of a deal, having an extra HP or three and an actual weapon. Same lovely THAC0, but if you roll enough times, you're bound to hit something—and we've got a die-and-a-half of HP per character on a good day.

No worries, though. We'll just manuver Rez behind our wall of fighters and cast—

...oh. Hmm.

In case you can't tell what you're looking at, there's no (C)ast option down there. Rez is out of spells. I completely forgot to memorize hers while we were taking care of Shanna's. :doh: That's going to make this fight very, very painful.

She's not necessarily useless, though. For one thing, mages can do... this!

kapow

hrk

Darts are a really lame weapon that depend on a mage's already horrible THAC0 and only deal 1-3 damage, but a few points here and there against bottom tier monsters are helpful. Here, Rezen picks off an already-wounded kobold and save Justine at least a little bit of grief.

Oh right! Also, if you manage to kill something with your first dart, you'll sometimes get an extra turn! I believe this means you're firing multiple times and get to redirect if your first shot kills, which is true of all ranged attacks. It's a nice surprise, but we won't be seeing it all that much since ranged weapons are kind of useless right now. When our aim gets better (and we have some more compelling targets), we'll see it a lot more.

:ughh:

You'll see we slid Shanna over to take Sternn's place on the front lines. Squares on the battlefield no longer count as occupied when you have an unconscious/dead party member in them. Apparently, you can just stand on your friend's face after they keel over and everything's cool.

Obviously, having Sleep here would've been phenominally helpful. But! There's something else in the combat mechanics that will bail us out.

There, you ruined our lunch break and took our stuff. Happy now?

...are you sure we're the good guys?

Y'learn to stop asking after a while.

You may or may not remember me talking about Morale when I mentioned Bless earlier. It's useless for friendly NPCs, but it's incredibly important against enemy NPCs. Basically, every fight begins with an enemy Morale rating between 1 and 100. (Higher is better.) On top of that, situations can alter the score before the fight starts. For example: getting a jump on the monsters will impact their Morale negatively, and pissing them off will increase it.

With most human enemies, they'll fight to the death because they're stupid determined. Weaker monsters like these are a different story. They're already cowards to start with, so if a party of six people kicks in their door during lunch break and starts killing them left and right, they'll eventually stop fighting back and hope for the best. Morale checks usually start failing once about half the group's been killed, and then, the surrenders start. At that point, you can just hang back and hit (D)one -> (G)uard until everyone's given up. You can chase a few more down and kill them before they can give up, but just... why? Why would you even do that? What is wrong with your brain?

Anyway, loot! You can't see it, but magic item at the bottom is a Bracers AC 6. If you have an AC higher than 6 and put them on, your AC will go down to 6. Otherwise, it won't do poo poo. It's useless for fighters, but it's one of the few ways for mages to lower their AC.

We slap them on Rez, and with the extra AC point from her Dexterity, she's down to AC 5! That's not too shabby for a first-level mage, but we can and will do better. Just not right now.

Nice night for it.

If by "it" you mean "kicking in doors and stealing people's stuff."

Why wouldn't we?

There they are!

hrk

Keep in mind, Justine has 9 HP total. That is... a substantial hit. Our opponents may suck at their job, but it's easy to forget just how fragile all our guys are, let alone Sternn.

Pictured: two casts of Cure Light Wounds healing exactly 2 HP. Thought I was kidding about that, weren't you?

All right, no worries. Just need a bit to get my magic b—

Sorry. Okay, just need a bit to get my magic—

Okay. Going to do it this time. Just need to get my m—

ghdalghdf

Like, you're not very good at this.

Old dogs and new tricks, I suppose.

One of the many annoyances of early Gold Box is the process of healing. Unless you want to rent a room and wait like four months for them to heal up on their own—and you don't—the process is:

• Camp.
  • Cast all your memorized Cure Light Wounds.
  • Re-memorize them.
  • Repeat until everyone's healed.

It's annoying now, but it's going to get super obnoxious once our guys break 15 HP or so. Cure Light Wounds only heals 1-8 and, as stated before, the game hates you and will give you more ones than anything else. Due to wonkiness with the programming, if you can successfully complete one heal/memorize cycle in the wild without being interrupted, you should be able to do it as many times as you want as long as you don't leave camp. That being said, there are some areas where we'll get ambushed or just flat won't be allowed to rest now matter how hard we try. It's a very irritating mechanic all around. Later games would add a menu option to make the process much less painless, but for the duration of PoR, we're stuck doing it manually. Blaaaaah

Also, the game hates Justine. Like, a lot. Sternn has gotten one-shot a couple of times, but Justine has soaked up the vast majority of the damage. As if she didn't have enough problems with Sternn in her life...

Anyway, we eventually make it back to the Slums exit. It's night, though, so everything's shuttered. We'll have to wait until daybreak.

This is the other thing the (R)est command is good for: killing time. In the Gold Box series, God flips off the light switch around 5:00 PM and then flips it back on at 12AM. I'm not sure what time zone we're in here, but I do know there's a clock in the lower left of the status window, and we can use that to calculate how long until the sun comes up.

Three hours should do it.

Ta da! Note that you have to take a step forward for the day/night to change, so it can be extremely confusing when you wait for like 4 days straight and the night doesn't change. Maybe that's Iceland's problem: there's just one guy hanging around in his house waiting for the sun to rise. Just go outside, dude! You're holding everyone up!

So, like, what are we going to do with all this jewelry?

Beats me. Wear it?

Ew, no. It does not go with my outfit.

We probably oughta get rid of it. It's evidence.

Right! We need a fence, pronto!

Or we could sell them a shopkeeper?

...and then we can use them as a patsy! Great angle, Shanna.

...thank you?

Nope.

There's some important things to know about shops. One is money-changing. If we pool all our guys' funds...

...you can see we've got way too many coins. Most of it's chump change, and we need to get rid of it. We could toss it in a gutter somewhere, but a better method is to wander into a weapons store, pool your funds, and then buy something cheap. 4 Darts are great for this, because they're 1 GP, and your mage will probably need a refill anyway.

The shopkeep will automatically sort your coins for you...

...and return them back in non-lovely form! Not a GP lost, and you've managed to reduce your encumberance by multiple factors.

The other thing we'll need is the (A)ppraise command. If you're carrying any gems or jewelry, you'll get this menu:

You can then request one gem or piece of jewelry off the pile be appraised. Once you have the value, you can (S)ell or (K)eep. (S)ell speaks for itself. (K)eep puts the item into your inventory, where you can sell it normally for the same price it was appraised at. This is helpful, because some items are worth... more than others.

:homebrew:

In essence, jewelry is a cheap way to keep thousands of gold lying around without encumberance. We've got about 5000 gold's worth, and we go ahead and dump all of it. We'll need it for the next step.

Hmm. "Rouges."

They put it in quotes? Like, right on the sign?

Thieves around here must be really bad if they can't figure out basic innuendo.

Hey, where do the amoral con men train? I'm not seeing it anywhere on the directory.

I guess we'll never know.

:argh:

'kay, well. This is fun and all, but imma do a level!

Oh what is this crap.

I wouldn't take it personally. I don't think any of us have enough.

Hey, everybody! I just talked with the trainer, and I can cast more spells now!

Oh, sweet. I'm gonna go get some more HP.

:wtf:

Everyone hits level 2! Except Rez, which isn't that surprising. Mages get some pretty ridiculous spells once they start hitting tier 3 (which happens around level 6), so they level up painfully slow compared to everyone else. Here's the comparison for level 2:

Thieves: 1,250 XP
Cleric: 1,500 XP
Fighters: 2,000 XP
Mages: 2,500 XP

Thieves rocket up in levels, but they don't have nearly as many combat abilities, hit points, or attacks. I've never understod why Clerics level up so fast, though. They're actually good fighters with enough magic gear, and one of their early spells is easily the most broken thing in all of D&D combat.

This is also why we dumped our jewels (tee hee): Training is 200 plat per level. That's one thousand gold, in case you forgot conversion rates. We won't even notice this cost later on, but right now, it's prohibitive. You need that northwest treasure room to afford training, and unless you get levels 2 and 3 off the launch pad pronto, you are not seeing the rest of this game.

Oh yeah, there's also bad news. An unfortunate side effect of leveling up is that random encounters scale to match it. Fortunately, fixed encounters will stay the same, or things would get really get ugly.

What's next on the menu?

Beats me. Ohlo?

No thanks! I don't like caramel.

Yikes.

Here we are: the Old Rope Guild! Now to pick the lock...

Is it a good idea to let Sternn take care of the map?

Ehn, it'll be fine. What's the worst that could happen?

*click*

Ha! Got it!

why do we never learn. why

Whoopsie! Made a wrong turn, and now we're doing this fight completely unprepared. About 20 goblins and 12 goblin leaders are now at our throats. :stonk:

This is a major problem, because those goblin leaders have bows. We're facing 24 arrows per round, and we don't have the HP right now to soldier through that. We need to do something, fast.

Fortunately, we have a secret weapon.

omigod omigod omigod

THERE'S TOO MANY OF THEM I'M FREAKIN' OUT

HRGH

Wait. We can do that?

Sure? Just swing extra hard!

Wow. That's way easier.

Yeah. Why didn't we think of this before?

:shrug:

Once your fighters hit level 2, they get the ability to sweep. Sweeping allows you to attack one small humanoid per level in a single move—and it just so happens that goblins count! This is going to make the encounter much more tolerable, albeit still tough. We deploy our stun lock to help with the arrows...

SLEEEEEEEEEEEP

zzz

...and while we've still got about 12-15 shots per round to deal with, we're in much better shape.

Acceptable losses. I like Rez, but she's already delivered her one sleep spell. We bandage her up and should be f—

...oh. Okay, that's not good.

That's even less good.

Fortunately, we've thinned out their numbers enough that morale checks start failing. Still, we came really close to eating poo poo on this one, and I've got to pay more attention to where I'm going.

We don't even get any magic gear for our trouble. t:mad: We do go ahead and grab a long bow and some arrows for Hanover since he doesn't have a magic bow like the rest of our front line. Never know when it'll come in handy! it won't come in handy

We get everyone back on their feet, and we're ready to continue. Note that we can take as long as we need to memorize/heal here. After a scripted encounter, you can usually plunk down and restock without being interrupted. It's a nice courtesy.

Well, this was a colossal waste of time.

Nah. There's treasure under the floorboard over there.

How do you keep doing that?!

:iiam:

If "apparently empty" wasn't the biggest tipoff in the world, this is probably not the game for you.

The +1 Shield is a big deal here. We give it to Justine since she's apparently a magnet for damage, and it drops her AC to 2. After this, we hightail it back to town and get Rezen up to level 2. She gets an extra Sleep spell now! Plus, that scroll had Magic Missle on it! We immediately add it to Rez's spellbook. Magic Missle is one of those spells literally every D&D mage needs to know. Right now, it's terrible, but the amount of damage it does scales to level. Around end game, it'll make more sense to keep a pile of them memorized.

Still, any time you can add a spell to a mage's spellbook, it's a win!

Okay. This should be the Old Rope Guild.

Are you sure?

...yes?

But are you... sure?

Looks pretty obvious to me, boss.

Or maybe... that's just what they want us to think.

Oh, no. I'm not doing this again.

Here's the Old Rope Guild. The already-useless (A)rea (automap) command doesn't work in here, the layout is confusing as hell, and any random encounters you find will get racheted up a notch in difficulty. It's nothing we can't handle, but if this is your first time in the game and you're wandering around bumping into walls and constantly getting mobbed, it's not good times.

Anyway, we head east and find...

This is a bit bigger than a "booth."

Maybe Ohlo paid him enough he could afford an upgrade.

Sure. Seems as likely as anything else around here.

Hi! Ohlo sent us.

:thunk: Oh. Be right back.

:thunk: There, tell that jerk we're square now. Oh, and a little bit of advice: get out of here while you still can. There's things lurking around out there.

What kind of things? Like, are we talking things things, or just things?

:thunk: Things. :stare:

Ah. :hmmyes:

I somehow know less than I did when this conversation started.

Note the last part is something I added. You don't actually get a courtesy of a warning, and you do not want to wander around in here aimlessly, or you'll stumble across a fight that's for Level 5+ characters. I have no idea why it's here other than to troll you and then kill you. It's such bad design that it has to be on purpose, which is just mean.

Anyway, we drop off Ohlo's package...

If I knew it did that, I would've totally kept it.

Now, Heather. I'm sure fetching an item like that comes with an equally impressive reward.

See ya, suckers!!

This weapon is a +1 polearm, which means we don't even get to use a shield while it's equipped. Moreover, it does utterly lovely damage: 1D6+1. 2-7 is less than our long swords are doing right now, and we get to use shields with those. Ohlooooooooo :argh: Oh well. Completing this side quest gets Shanna up to Level 3, which is absolutely critical for the rest of this section.

I'm going to leave off here abruptly, because I need to split this into two chapters. The Slums have a lot more content than I remember. When our commissions go from "kill everything ever" to specific success criteria, updates should be much less dense. Until then, tune in next time, when you'll hear Justine say:

...lemon curry?

Next Time: Home Invasions

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You know if you'd asked me if I read any Chokes McGee threads I would have said "eh, probably. Old screenshot RPGs right?"

I recognize every character in the party and their originating LP.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Scaramouche posted:

You know if you'd asked me if I read any Chokes McGee threads I would have said "eh, probably. Old screenshot RPGs right?"

I recognize every character in the party and their originating LP.

I really really wanted to put Trog in there alongside Hanover, but the core Wizardry squad is a package deal, and we wouldn’t have FFL2 representation otherwise.

This whole thing is going to be a massive self important ego trip and I love it already

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The last LP of this game I watched on Youtube relied a lot more on missile weapons. When I was playing, I barely used them. Guess it depends on play style. I personally hated that you have to spend time un-equipping the bow and re-equipping the sword & shield whenever you run out of arrows and there's never enough ammo around when you need it.

I hope at some point you'll show off the city of Phlan and all its features. There are some town features in this game they did not repeat in future games (eg hirelings that can take all your good treasure, duels in the training hall, drunken brawls that can turn into TPK) and the jokes for those almost write themselves. :)

I think in later games they had the shops automatically change your money into large coins with pool/share, but I'm not sure.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

achtungnight posted:

The last LP of this game I watched on Youtube relied a lot more on missile weapons. When I was playing, I barely used them. Guess it depends on play style. I personally hated that you have to spend time un-equipping the bow and re-equipping the sword & shield whenever you run out of arrows and there's never enough ammo around when you need it.

I hope at some point you'll show off the city of Phlan and all its features. There are some town features in this game they did not repeat in future games (eg hirelings that can take all your good treasure, duels in the training hall, drunken brawls that can turn into TPK) and the jokes for those almost write themselves. :)

I think in later games they had the shops automatically change your money into large coins with pool/share, but I'm not sure.

I was going to skip hirelings and duels because I don’t find them interesting or useful, but once we hit our cap, you bet your rear end I’m showing the worlds most lethal drunken pit fight

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

I really really wanted to put Trog in there alongside Hanover, but the core Wizardry squad is a package deal, and we wouldn’t have FFL2 representation otherwise.

Then where's our Paper Sorcerer representation? :colbert:

...Now that I think of it, I would have loved to see Willow in the healing role rather than Shanna.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

I was going to skip hirelings and duels because I don’t find them interesting or useful, but once we hit our cap, you bet your rear end I’m showing the worlds most lethal drunken pit fight

Cool. Looking forward to it. As for duels and hirelings, yeah, they're not useful. Since you're skipping them, I can cover the mechanics in a few paragraphs. If I can please get your permission, I'll do it next post. Sorry, no screenshots, I no longer have this game. Just the memories. :)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Do you at least default to re-memorizing the same spells, or is that only later Gold Box? (Which also yes, had some nice UI improvements IIRC)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

DGM_2 posted:

...Now that I think of it, I would have loved to see Willow in the healing role rather than Shanna.

Unfortunately they're all sort of evil. Which meant they'd do a heel heel turn at the end.

...wait isn't that just a dance?

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

Unfortunately they're all sort of evil. Which meant they'd do a heel heel turn at the end.

Nah, they'd go along just to get back home.

You know, to the magic book they were trapped in.

...Actually, I see your point.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
ah ye olde d&D hit points. back when a house cat can one shot a poorly rolled L1 wizard. the early game was always kind of harsh in these

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Reiska posted:

Yeah the last person I saw to do it gave up partway during Secret of the Silver Blades. Also, high-five Gold Box Companion buddy! That has some amazingly fun capabilities for game-breaking.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

I strongly considered it, but ultimately, Willow would be considered Lawful Evil by D&D standards. Pretty much all the Paper Sorcerer crew are Evil, as well, so they'd hitch a ride out of here at the first opportunity regardless of what state the world is in. The last thing I want is to have to fight Llewyn and Willow on top of the endgame bullshit.

Tylana posted:

Do you at least default to re-memorizing the same spells, or is that only later Gold Box?]

lmao nope. pick 'em from scratch, every time.

PoR has some of the best and tightest quest storylines but man does it show its age. Even Bards' Tale's interface was better than this.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

achtungnight posted:

Cool. Looking forward to it. As for duels and hirelings, yeah, they're not useful. Since you're skipping them, I can cover the mechanics in a few paragraphs. If I can please get your permission, I'll do it next post. Sorry, no screenshots, I no longer have this game. Just the memories. :)

Oh right missed this! Yeah, knock yourself out. I cut the Training Master out of the game for this very reason, so that's probably a good place to start.

Hierlings are so very useless. And almost all of them are evil, simply because the game doesn't want you bringing extra buddies for the final fight. It's so dumb :(

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

Pool of Radiance, Chapter 3: Looking to Train? Good Job!

Not today!

Jason Sextro posted:

Yeah the last person I saw to do it gave up partway during Secret of the Silver Blades. Also, high-five Gold Box Companion buddy! That has some amazingly fun capabilities for game-breaking.

We'll see how far I make it, I want to finish all four parts. I'm halfway through Curse, and that's all I'm saying about that. :)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Missile weapons have their own rate of fire: bows (but not crossbows) shoot twice per round and you can throw three darts per round. As we've seen the combats in the game offer you the chance to cork a door or hallway and have PCs behind the lines use spells and missile weapons. In practice, this can work fairly well but you're unlikely to have more than one or two PCs shooting in most fights. It takes no combat action to switch weapons, though.

Darts are an extremely efficient way to kill helpless creature like all those sleepers.

That one Rope Guild fight can be won, fairly reliably, once your wizard hits 3rd level and has selected the appropriate spell.

For reference, look at PC hit points. Then note that an average human with a long sword does 1-8 damage per hit. These games can be lethal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I didn't mention in my last post because it hadn't come up yet, but "$NAME SWEEPS...." is one of the only other things I remember from when I played these on my 486 DX/50 or whatever the hell I had then.

I always loved seeing that, not only for the mental image of a zweihander scything through multiple bipedal rat torsos, but because I usually had set my stats to max in character creation so I was constantly surrounded by acres of bipedal rat torsos in any random encounter. Having each fighter essentially have an infinite-charge burst o' death for the little fuckers really cut down on the tedium (and TPKs).

Of course, I could have just not put all 18s (and /00..or 19? in some cases? it's been a while) for my beginning stats, but to paraphrase a very wise man - if a computer asks if you are a god, you say "yes"!