Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

So the LP curse is finally loosening its death grip, then? Good to hear.

SHHHH IT'LL HEAR YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

SHHHH IT'LL HEAR YOU

Heh. About that...

I've been keeping track of PC deaths for Purple over in his Might and Magic 7 thread and just a couple of days ago my computer died (I'm on a cheap laptop for the moment). I joked about it being unfair that the LP curse seems to have struck me when I wasn't even running my own LP.

In other words, the curse has already heard me and apparently it's after ME now. I suggest you finish packing and get out while I've got it distracted.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
An update indeed <sniff>. I'll see it when I believe it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

An update indeed <sniff>. I'll see it when I believe it.

You believe don't you? Clap if you believe in updates.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

:golfclap:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

FeyerbrandX posted:

You believe don't you? Clap if you believe in updates.

Does banging my head on the coffee table count?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Writing is complete! Content extraction starts tomorrow, and it'll hopefully be up by the end of the day. Making timestamped summaries out of hour long videos and wrangling them into entertaining posts is the hard part. After that, I have an obscure Rube Goldberg machine of levers and pulleys that spits out the screenshots and gifs I need. Slap some cheap GIS results on top of a few existing sprites, and presto! An update!

In other news I would not wish my LP extraction process on anyone reading this. It's done in python/bash scripts with mplayer and ffmpeg in the backend. LINUX!!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
In other news, this is the part where the update qualities will ... go down a bit. The tower's ok as far as content goes, but I can think of exactly one interesting thing that happens in the ice maze. I'm thinking maybe... 4-6 updates left in this LP? Maybe 7? It depends on how much humor I can wring out of what's left, and I keep squeezing this stone in my hands, but,

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

In other news, this is the part where the update qualities will ... go down a bit. The tower's ok as far as content goes, but I can think of exactly one interesting thing that happens in the ice maze. I'm thinking maybe... 4-6 updates left in this LP? Maybe 7? It depends on how much humor I can wring out of what's left, and I keep squeezing this stone in my hands, but,

ehn ehn ehn, doot doot doot, deet deedledeedledee

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Or, and just hear me out, you just chop out a good amount of the boring stuff, and write it off as being literally so boring the party subconsciously blocked it from their minds, or possibly get them roaring drunk, having forgotten what they did, and only remembering bits and pieces.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

There really just isn't a lot of interesting content in Silver to begin with, so there's no need to force it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Or, and just hear me out, you just chop out a good amount of the boring stuff, and write it off as being literally so boring the party subconsciously blocked it from their minds, or possibly get them roaring drunk, having forgotten what they did, and only remembering bits and pieces.

Oh, I've got something even better planned. Stay tuned.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
If it’s melting the maze with a giant fireball, believe me, I tried. There’s no way to do it in the game. One time a GM table topped this game for my group in college, and our party mage tried it, but all that got us was TPK by drowning and/or intense currents slamming us around if we had water breathing. It’s not a good idea.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

achtungnight posted:

If it’s melting the maze with a giant fireball, believe me, I tried. There’s no way to do it in the game. One time a GM table topped this game for my group in college, and our party mage tried it, but all that got us was TPK by drowning and/or intense currents slamming us around if we had water breathing. It’s not a good idea.

I can't find a clip or a gif of it, but pretend I posted a clip of Lina Inverse bypassing an entire dungeon by just casting a spell that tunnels straight down here. It was from Slayers The Motion Picture.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Randalor posted:

I can't find a clip or a gif of it, but pretend I posted a clip of Lina Inverse bypassing an entire dungeon by just casting a spell that tunnels straight down here. It was from Slayers The Motion Picture.

I remember an amusing incident from an online write-up of a D&D campaign. It was one of those moments that make your DM get that deer-in-the-headlights look.

The high-level party was standing atop an underground dungeon and making preparations to go in when the party's cleric decided he had a better idea. See, he had just picked up a new spell level which happened to include Earthquake...

"<Diety's name>, smite this place."

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sounds similar to a campaign I was in, where a temple full of yuan-ti was solved with Earthquake and Storm of Vengeance.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Contrary to popular belief, I am not in fact a shambling corpse in the fetid embrace of undeath and was merely visiting Rhode Island to find an apartment and prep for the move. Hopefully we'll be back on schedule this weekend.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Contrary to popular belief, I am not in fact a shambling corpse in the fetid embrace of undeath and was merely visiting Rhode Island to find an apartment and prep for the move. Hopefully we'll be back on schedule this weekend.

I hope the wasps are enjoying the trip to Rhode Island.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

If you're moving to Quahog, say hi to the Griffins for me. :D

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Contrary to popular belief, I am not in fact a shambling corpse in the fetid embrace of undeath

My money was on "mind-controlled illithid slave."

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Chokes McGee posted:

I am not in fact a shambling corpse in the fetid embrace of undeath

Chokes McGee posted:

was merely visiting Rhode Island

Something about this story doesn't add up

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

I mean, both of these can be equally true. Are you implying that shambling undead corpses can't move to better places?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Don't be silly; nobody thinks that you're fetid.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Randalor posted:

I mean, both of these can be equally true. Are you implying that shambling undead corpses can't move to better places?

Skeletons can't, but Slimes can. Really obscure rules on the books for that. Also only when they're employed as teachers.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That is clear discrimination and living beings wonder why skeletons keep trying to turn them into meat-suits. How else is a skeleton supposed to be treated fairly by society without one with standards like that?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
When it comes to a rumoured Chokes update, I said it before and I'll say it again: I'll see it when I believe it. That's what's called LPiety.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Randalor posted:

That is clear discrimination and living beings wonder why skeletons keep trying to turn them into meat-suits. How else is a skeleton supposed to be treated fairly by society without one with standards like that?

Inside all of us is a skeleton waiting to get out

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Secret of the Silver Blades, Chapter 7: Mine All Mine

Okay, there. We found the staff piece.

And, as usual, we're looting it off a dead body.

If there's another way to loot things, I don't want to know it.

Welcome back to the Gold Box adventure! This time, we've located a piece of the staff. As discussed in a previous update, finding the rest will be a fairly tedious process.

Well, lookie what we got here. Adventurers.

That's us! :razz:

You know what we do to adventurers 'round these parts?

Here's a little something to forget you ever saw us.

That's... not even currency here.

Don't spend it all in one place. :grin:

What's the world coming to that bribery doesn't work anymore?

I just don't know, boss. I just don't know.

Not helping matters is the constant stream of irritatingly middling encounters.

I SQUISH

What's your thing against spiders, anyway?

Um, they're totally disgusting? And crawl around all over the place?

No time for questions! There's dead people to loot!

Oh, for gently caress's sake. How is any of this stuff useful?

You haul sixteen tons, whaddya get~

Perhaps you should've specified in what way.

Fair.

Also not helping is that the loot sucks. The treasure caches here are static and usually reside in monster lairs, and since you won't know which one has the staff piece until you clean it out, you're stuck sifting through a ton of randomly generated crap loot. I mean, the staff piece is always in the same area, and Chokes Has Played the Etc., but that doesn't make the rest of it fun.

Anyway, gently caress this noise, we're heading back upstairs. Because we seem to have forgotten a little something...

Um, I don't think Grimwald wants us back here without the staff?

Who's Grimwald?

Grimstein?

You mean the dwarf guy?

Beowulf! That's it.

Not even close.

!!

Rezen?

MUSCLES! WINDOW! OVER THERE!

HRRRRRRRRRRRRGH

Well. I'm sure that wasn't a priceless work of art or anything.

Um, it totally looked like one to me?

:sigh:

And then we steal from the church. Yes, this is fine. I'm comfortable being associated with all of you.

D'aww. We love you too, Shanna!

You don't speak for me.

There are no consequences whatsoever for tossing the temple, so grab dat loot! Grimblethimble or whatever his name is holed up in the back, so he has no idea. We can always blame it on minotaurs later. Then again, Grumball has to know the price of doing business with the All-Stars.

Well, we're on R&R right now, so we might as well check in with...

Journal Entry 51 posted:

'Once heard tell about the impressiveness of the old town.

There was a great castle at the head of the valley. Then south of the mine was the old Government House. It was a large place, richly decorated, where affairs of state were conducted. Was built stoutly, so should be still standin'. Good loot no doubt, if you can stand the ghosts of clerks and bean counters.

Can confirm!

Shyeah, we cleaned the place out already. But there weren't any nerd ghosts?

...nerd ghosts?

You'll have to excuse Heather. She's been traumatized by past adventures.

The only good dead nerd is a dead dead nerd.

Words of wisdom, lil' lady. Words of wisdom.

All right, we're fueled up, we've chatted with our grizzled mentor-slash-exposition-dump, and we dropped off all the excess stuff that we'll never even look at again. On with the show!

:getin:

More of the same, unfortunately, and will continue that way for quite some time. There are at least a few interesting rooms...

(Fire chest. Do not open under any circumstances.)

YOU DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO, FURNITURE

oh I get it, fire chest

The miners have booby trapped all their stuff with explosives because... who knows? Maybe theft is rampant? I can't imagine any situation where Steve from the northwest tunnels has to have his head blown off because he wanted to snoop through your family photos. Maybe miners are more hardcore than I thought. Or, maybe they've hit one too many pockets of bad air down here. Who knows.

At least Sternn makes up for it later! I'm not sure if this is a damage trap or if it actually drops you down to the next floor. I'm guessing the former because... what would be the point otherwise? You'd just hop right back on the elevator, then head up to the temple level to heal. Something that easy seems extremely un-Gold Box like.

Hey, it's almost like we have a trained thief in the party! Too bad the loot is crap and we're risking a 25 HP AoE every time we try to pick its lock! lmao!

Seriously, there's nothing to note here. At least Sternn's getting experience for disarming them. I'll all for that. The faster our mages hit the cap, the better.

*rumble*

Eesh. Wanna tread a little more softly there, big guy?

Uh... I've just been sittin' here. For a while now.

You know we have places to be, right?

I can take a coffee break every now an' then.

You don't have any coffee.

S'even better reason.

*RUMBLE*

...?

OH YEAHHHHHHHHH

Ladies, gentlemen, and enbies, I present to you: the Umber Hulk.

Umber Hulks are bad news for low level adventures because of their large reserves of HP and multiple bolo punches per round. For a mid-to-high level party, though, they're cannon fodder. First of all, they're large targets, which means our already-enchanted long swords do stupid amounts of damage—especially since Hanover and Heather have strength boosting gear. Not only that, their big chonky bodies* severely reduce mobility, which means we can fling fireballs into their back ranks all day long. Still, we have to be wary, because...

* The Umber Hulks, not Hanover and Heather. Presumably.

HEY WHAT'S THAT OVER THERE

???

Sternn?

Whuh oh. I think he blue-screened.

How are we gonna reboot him?

Oh, I've got some ideas.

???????????????

Umber Hulks have a racial ability: the confusion gaze! Once a round, they can fire a Confusion spell off. This is something you want to avoid—not because your guy will turn on their teammates, but because you're almost certain to get "Flees in Terror" most rounds, which means your character puts their nose directly into a corner and starts bonking off walls. It's annoying and I hate it.

Anyway, like I said, these guys aren't really that tough. Usually once or twice a floor, they'll bust through the wall and trigger an automatic combat, but whatevs. Like everything else down here, it's more a nuisance than an outright danger.

Oh look. A chest. :geno:

Oh! Well that's okay then. :)

We also get this! What the gently caress is a periapt? I have no idea! No one does! We give it to Hanover! Now that we've gotten our second piece, we head back to town for the usual upkeep.

IT BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNS

Oh, walk it off.

I mean, eventually. We eventually stop back at town.

We also appraise that periapt. It's a Periapt of Health, which... okay? :shrug: It sounds like part of the staff from Raiders of the Lost Ark, so that's what it is in the LP now. No, I'm not looking up the definition. I have more important things to do, like writing up a trip report for a decades-old computer game.

Welp, that's the last of it. Thanks for identifying all this stuff.

Wait! I found this elixir in the bottom of my sack.

Oh, you should hang onto that. The sun is totally harsh here.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Not that I ever do. Anyway, can you identify this for me?

Well. That's not something you see everyday.

You found it, Shanna! All yours!

I mean, you need it more than the rest of us.

I'm choosing to ignore that. Here goes... *glug glug glug*

...well, my knees don't hurt as much anymore...

I guess there's only so much you can do?

Yes, yes. Let's all laugh at the middle aged woman.

Hey. Hey, Shanna. You're so old, I bet you—

No.

Fine, be that way. :mad:

And so, the mines continue. As our brave heroes plumb deeper into the depths...

AAAA AAAAAA

RUN FASTER

WE DON'T HAVE TO, JUST FASTER THAN JUSTINE

gently caress YOU

...we encounter increasingly difficult encounters that, nevertheless, are perfectly within our abilities to handle. On Level 3, you'll find the staff piece in the wyvern den.

Level 4, it's just... lying there. Even the game is mailing it in at this point.

Level 5 is margoyle themed. Fortunately, they can be reasoned with.

:thunk:

Unfortunately, they still try to kill us afterwards. I mean, it's a pretty sound conclusion with this party showing up on your fr

RIDDLE ME THIS, REZEN

...uh...

The hell? How'd we get here?

Beats me.

Next Time: Fast Forward Button

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So what the heck is the point of the Elixir of Youth? Is magical aging really a threat in these games?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

PurpleXVI posted:

So what the heck is the point of the Elixir of Youth? Is magical aging really a threat in these games?

I'm sure some old-school D&D monsters have some sort of magical aging.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
IIRC Haste actually bumps up your age after it ends, if you go through enough Haste spells you could wind up old.

I think maybe ghosts having a magical aging effect? Not sure Gold Box implements it even if so.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Chokes McGee posted:

We also appraise that periapt. It's a Periapt of Health, which... okay? :shrug: It sounds like part of the staff from Raiders of the Lost Ark, so that's what it is in the LP now. No, I'm not looking up the definition. I have more important things to do, like writing up a trip report for a decades-old computer game.

Well, then, I won't even bother to inform you that a periapt is an amulet or brooch or trinket that's supposed to have magical powers. So there. Hmph. :colbert:

wait a sec

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

the holy poopacy posted:

IIRC Haste actually bumps up your age after it ends, if you go through enough Haste spells you could wind up old.

I think maybe ghosts having a magical aging effect? Not sure Gold Box implements it even if so.

Correct. In game and out of this LP, your age starts around 14-16 and you're off from there. I think it tracks rest time and such against your age but the main concern is how many times you can cast haste before you're a decrepit old fart. Elixir of Youth resets that, and if you remember, Oslo chugs one way back in Chapter 3-4 of PoR!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
If you get old enough, your Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution drop while your Wisdom and Intelligence increase. Get too old, your character automatically dies. The Elixir of Youth can hold that off. So yeah, it’s useful.

I think the Periapt of Health improves saving throws vs. disease and poison.

Highly unusual for Wyverns to lair below ground where they can’t fly. Oh well, game’s not even trying for continuity, yada yada yada.

You’re fast forwarding? I don’t blame you, but you’re skipping over a lot of important stuff. If you want/need help summarizing all of it, please let me know. I have good memories of the game and know where a couple of YouTube LPs are that can further refresh them.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

achtungnight posted:

If you get old enough, your Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution drop while your Wisdom and Intelligence increase. Get too old, your character automatically dies. The Elixir of Youth can hold that off. So yeah, it’s useful.

I think the Periapt of Health improves saving throws vs. disease and poison.

Highly unusual for Wyverns to lair below ground where they can’t fly. Oh well, game’s not even trying for continuity, yada yada yada.

You’re fast forwarding? I don’t blame you, but you’re skipping over a lot of important stuff. If you want/need help summarizing all of it, please let me know. I have good memories of the game and know where a couple of YouTube LPs are that can further refresh them.

Two things here.

A) I have a really good* (* actually really bad) reason for skipping a bunch of stuff and
B) through the magic of photoshop I will still be able to show off the important content of the world's sickest jack in the box

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, looking forward to it. Hope we catch up on everything soon with the next update.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

So we've got Thunk gargoyles, Trollface Elementals, what's next?

Kappa Demons? Some other meme ghosts :stonk:?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm 99% certain that these games have the old age penalties coded in (which include poo poo like permanent stat changes as you get old and frail) and if you're a human, and why wouldn't you be a human, it can get problematic if you enjoy being hasted in hard fights because it adds up fast.

If you're an elf then who cares because elves start at something like 200 years old and iirc old age penalties don't kick in until around 450 or so for them. Plus you'll be dead long before then and since bringing dead elves back to life is a huge PITA you'll make a replacement human character long before old elven age matters.

FeyerbrandX posted:

So we've got Thunk gargoyles, Trollface Elementals, what's next?

O RLY Owlbears.

ok that's maybe a lie.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FeyerbrandX posted:

we already had nerd ghosts so you better get ready for wow such dog much blink

Evil Fluffy posted:

Plus you'll be dead long before then and since bringing dead elves back to life is a huge PITA you'll make a replacement human character long before old elven age matters.

Oh it's even better in Gold Box. When an elf dies, they die. No way to bring them back, period. Just lol roll a new character.

I will reiterate that this plus level caps means there is no reason whatsoever to play anything other than a human in Gold Box. None. You can get away with it if you're only going to play Pool or Curse but if you're planning on going farther than that you better be able to go over your hard caps or you're gonna die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Those rules on non-humans are really idiotic (2e had them too and we just ignored them, including most class restrictions), but I will add that the Gold Box Companion has workarounds for those asinine restrictions.