Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It also only applies to the Forgotten Realms games, not the Dragonlance trilogy. Non-humans have way more options there, and elves can be resurrected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Chokes McGee posted:

Oh it's even better in Gold Box. When an elf dies, they die. No way to bring them back, period. Just lol roll a new character.

I will reiterate that this plus level caps means there is no reason whatsoever to play anything other than a human in Gold Box. None. You can get away with it if you're only going to play Pool or Curse but if you're planning on going farther than that you better be able to go over your hard caps or you're gonna die.

I thought the Forgotten Realms games in the Gold Box set had Resurrection for 7th circle cleric spells. Do Clerics just not get 7th circle spells in Blades/Darkness or is Resurrection not among those spells? Or is it there and the FR games just go "lol nope gently caress your elf" if you try to resurrect them?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I thought the Forgotten Realms games in the Gold Box set had Resurrection for 7th circle cleric spells. Do Clerics just not get 7th circle spells in Blades/Darkness or is Resurrection not among those spells? Or is it there and the FR games just go "lol nope gently caress your elf" if you try to resurrect them?

You won't see Resurrection until Pools of Darkness (and not even then, I hate to spoil anything but Shanna's wisdom is juuuuuuuuust under what she needs for that tier). And to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if the Goldbox devs put in the :effort: to make it work like it's supposed to.

Besides, if you take an elf into pools you're just going to be casting it after every fight anyway :v:

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

A periapt is an old word for talisman/charm/amulet/gaudy jewelry your grandma bought you and you were too kind to turn down but it really doesn't match anything you have so you only put it on when she comes by. Basically they're necklaces, usually depicted with gemstones as the talisman but not always.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

clockwork chaos posted:

ehn ehn ehn, doot doot doot, deet deedledeedledee

you son of a bitch, I just now saw this :newlol:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Just caught up and wanted to give you a thumbs up. :thumbsup:

Bringing back old memories of playing gold box games all summer. My recollection is that Krynn games are better than these but really a lot more of the same. I also remember thinking that the gold box Buck Rogers game was the best of the lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_Rogers:_Countdown_to_Doomsday

Although I do remember ridiculous rooms full of mobs in that one too.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Murgos posted:

Bringing back old memories of playing gold box games all summer. My recollection is that Krynn games are better than these but really a lot more of the same. I also remember thinking that the gold box Buck Rogers game was the best of the lot.

The end game of Matrix Cubed makes all of Gold Box look like a walk in the park.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

The end game of Matrix Cubed makes all of Gold Box look like a walk in the park.

I never played Matrix Cubed. When it came out I didn’t have access to a computer and by the next time I did there was other stuff to play and it had a bad reputation.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Murgos posted:

The dragonlance games are much better but dragonlance is better than forgotten realms so that’s a given.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The dragonlance games are much better but dragonlance is better than forgotten realms so that’s a given.

I don't know how true that is, given that Dragonlance introduced kender.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

And those dwarves whose special power is groveling.

WTF Dragonlance?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Dragonlance has a bunch of well-intentioned base ideas that are incredibly hosed up once you read any further into the subtext. For example, how half-kender are fairly common due to kender women's "perpetually youthful appearance" and "simple eagerness" making them popular with human men.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
There's a rather sweet story in one of the collection books where a very short young man tries to become a Knight of Solamnia. The knight recruiter/trainer realises very quickly that he isn't suited for the life, and he knows that the young man is his son. He finds out to his shock that the boy knew that, then finds out to his further shock that the boy's mother was a kender.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I personally think death knights, dragonlances and plenty of dragons to poke with them, and draconians balance out kender and gully dwarves nicely, but it's not a popular opinion.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I never really cared for the Dragonlance setting because my main takeaway from the first two novel trilogies was that no one was allowed to be happy ever.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Kith posted:

I don't know how true that is, given that Dragonlance introduced kender.

Yeah but: Elminster.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

fritz posted:

Hmm that name seems important. Oh well it's not like we'll ever meet him or anything!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

fritz posted:

Sorry but a Deus Ex Machina wizard is way more tolerable than an entire race of children

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Fighting Trousers posted:

I never really cared for the Dragonlance setting because my main takeaway from the first two novel trilogies was that no one was allowed to be happy ever.

Contentment doesn't create drama, but you are correct in that Dragonlance is very grim. Then again, Dark Sun is even worse and has more parallels to the real world yet P&P who think they are edgy love that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Fighting Trousers posted:

God, having played Dragonlance as a kid, read way too many of the books and reviewed the whole thing as an adult I can tell you there's way more issues than that. Starting with an insanely railroady set of modules, "good" gods that are in fact insane pricks, elves being defined as "good" even though they're literal imperialist slavers, miscenegation being a sin, some real gross "these non-humans are subhuman and always terrible"-poo poo, kender, also kender, and loving kender and gully dwarves.

https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/purplexvi/dragonlance/

Just so much poo poo. So. Much. poo poo.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

God, having played Dragonlance as a kid, read way too many of the books and reviewed the whole thing as an adult I can tell you there's way more issues than that. Starting with an insanely railroady set of modules, "good" gods that are in fact insane pricks, elves being defined as "good" even though they're literal imperialist slavers, miscenegation being a sin, some real gross "these non-humans are subhuman and always terrible"-poo poo, kender, also kender, and loving kender and gully dwarves.

I... uh... I take it you had some bad experiences with Dragonlance then?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Randalor posted:

I... uh... I take it you had some bad experiences with Dragonlance then?

I mean aside from having to play it, and being dumb enough to read it, it's hard not to hate it when you read through... 13+ modules and every time the players might try to deviate from the path the answer is "INFINITE DRACONIANS UNTIL THEY OBEY!!!!" and if they DO follow the path it's "INFINITE LEVEL DRAINERS UNTIL THEY ARRIVE" but there's also a note that the PC's literally can't die and should always be saved by deus ex machina because it's canon that they survive.

And almost every fight is loving awful rocket tag bullshit.

Oh and one of the modules is recursive. Like, because it's a miiiiiiiiiiiind gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame, you're supposed to run every situation in the module with every character, BUT, each time only one of them is real and everyone else is a dream phantom, and that means you end up running the module twelve loving times or something in the worst case.

Oh. OH. And loving Fizban.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh. OH. And loving Fizban.

I thought Fizban (and later on Zifnab) was hilarious when I was fourteen, and if that just doesn't say it all right there.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I enjoyed DL as a youngster and, having reread many of them later, I still do for the most part. The Legends trilogy I still find very moving, but I recently reread the War of Souls and it lost me. I'm probably hypersensitive to plot holes and dangling threads, and I went away from it with a lot of 'that didn't make sense' moments.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

The first SSI Krynn game got me reading way too many DL novels as a kid — I fell off during the war of souls stuff because the grimness of it all got kind of boring to me, I think. But I had read a serious amount of the main novels and the various short story collections and standalone stuff before I stopped reading the series.

Purple XVI I enjoyed your write ups of the modules. Jeeeesus, how did anyone actually play them?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

PurpleXVI posted:

It didn't take nearly that much for me to give up on the setting. All it took was six books of Raistlin and his tragic time eyes.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Man, good thing the closest I got to Dragonlance was that book full of short stories done by various writers.

*Rummages through books until he finds--* Ah! "Heroes And Fools"! That's the one.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

All this talk about bad Dragonlance characters and yet none of them are as tedious as Drizzt.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

All this talk about bad Dragonlance characters and yet none of them are as tedious as Drizzt.

Drizzt was an enjoyable character in the original trilogy, but there he wasn't the constant center of attention and actually had a range of emotions.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Randalor posted:

Drizzt was an enjoyable character in the original trilogy, but there he wasn't the constant center of attention and actually had a range of emotions.

He wasn't supposed to be the star - Wulfgar was. That Drizzt was much more interesting... he was almost suicidal, reckless, and much more nuanced. He got over better than Wulfgar, became the star, and then was watered down. I will say that some of the character development when they resurrected all of the supporting cast some years ago was interesting, but the whole resurrection angle was incredibly contrived to begin with.

Speaking of contrived: I'm going to spoiler this just to be safe, but at the end of the second-most-recent Drizzt book, Boundless, Drizzt is essentially killed off. Knowing that that obviously won't stick, it ruined my desire to read the next book, Relentless, even though I had enjoyed the first two well enough.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think Salvatore has been on record that the main reason why he writes Drizzt books is why Kojima kept making MGS games until Konami fired him: Not wanting to see someone else mess with their creation.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Robindaybird posted:

I think Salvatore has been on record that the main reason why he writes Drizzt books is why Kojima kept making MGS games until Konami fired him: Not wanting to see someone else mess with their creation.

I don't begrudge him, apart from the staggering amount of money I'm sure that he's made. I look at them at fun fantasy adventure novels, nothing more. I can certainly understand someone wanting to protect their idea, because I am certain that whoever owns the IP would just replace him with someone(s) else to keep the money spin turning.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and there are far worse writers in their stable than Salvatore.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Man, good thing the closest I got to Dragonlance was that book full of short stories done by various writers.

*Rummages through books until he finds--* Ah! "Heroes And Fools"! That's the one.

Some of the short stories are actually reasonably interesting, in general any time someone has managed to pry it away from Weiss and Hickman's grubby little hands, they've managed to do some interesting things with it.

In particular I liked, if you can believe it, a good deal of the 3.x adaptation of the original modules where they're rendered non-linear and the dragonarmies are still doing their poo poo, the macguffins are still where they start out, but the PC's can choose to gently caress off and tackle the objectives in any order and from any angle.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I liked the original Drizzt stories because they were almost entirely focused on Drizzt's PTSD and the myriad adventures of his hosed up little family of a party. It didn't become the Twoswords Coolguy Show until later.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
you are all nerds

now let me tell you, about a character by bernie wrightson called,

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
alec holland

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bruce Banner

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Reminder that new Dragonlance novels are in the works. I would love to see Beamdog take their reverse-engineered infinity engine and make some Dragonlance games since the cowards at Bioware never did. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Evil Fluffy posted:

Reminder that new Dragonlance novels are in the works.

Surprised to hear that; it's been 8-10 years since the last ones. I really enjoyed the Legends trilogy, but I recently reread the War of Souls and it mostly just confused me. I'm hypersensitive to plot holes, unfortunately.