Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Truthkeeper posted:

Ooh, a full Realms Gold Box LP, ambitious! I played the PC version, so I'm still kind of in shock how much better this version looks. On the other hand, that font is truly loving atrocious.

It looks like the PC versions I played (Mostly the Krynn games) looked to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Tylana posted:

It looks like the PC versions I played (Mostly the Krynn games) looked to me?

It's pretty much just Pool of Radiance where this was an issue (maybe Azure Bonds), and specifically on older computers (or poorly set up on newer computers). It looks like this, but as pointed out by others, the entire color scheme traveling around town was pink and blue.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Four colors isn't really enough unless you're just doing grayscale. The Apple 2 computers did much better (though still not great) with 6, but I understand that graphics programming on those was a bit of a nightmare (anything between 4 or 16 colors just doesn't fit neatly when you're working with an 8-bit word size).

That said, I'll admit that Commander Keen image wasn't too bad. Now I'm curious how much good CGA art is out there.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Speaking of greyscale, I found this video the other day and found it really fascinating. It's pretty amazing what you can do with limited colouring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-q8ehzHeQQ

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013
Random thought, since it was mentioned that Amiga's the superior platform for these games:

Is there actually a complete documentation anywhere of all the bugs in the various ports? I'm familiar with some of the bigger ones, which I won't mention specifically because they're still kind of spoiler territory, but.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Reiska posted:

Random thought, since it was mentioned that Amiga's the superior platform for these games:

Is there actually a complete documentation anywhere of all the bugs in the various ports? I'm familiar with some of the bigger ones, which I won't mention specifically because they're still kind of spoiler territory, but.

I'm sure there's plenty out there, PoR is one of those games that every weirdo on the internet has played and there's a lot of weirdos on the internet

that being said Amiga is superior in all ways except game speed, and mass combat is such a loving chore :(

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan

Chokes McGee posted:

mass combat is such a loving chore :(

SSI was committed to delivering an authentic PnP experience :v:

Edit: I知 digging the LP, Chokes. Thanks for the effort

dbcooper fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 10, 2019

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm sure there's plenty out there, PoR is one of those games that every weirdo on the internet has played and there's a lot of weirdos on the internet

that being said Amiga is superior in all ways except game speed, and mass combat is such a loving chore :(

Tell me about it, I went through Radiance on the default emulator speed set by the GOG release which is pretty slow (3000 cycles iirc, the dosbox default).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jason Sextro posted:

:lol: CGA was so bizarrely horrid, I always wonder how they decided on eye-searing pink and turquoise as the two colours to use

Peanut Butler already answered why CGA wasn't that bad per say, but here's a YouTuber talking more about it. I mostly just wanted to boost a not-terrible YouTuber.

https://youtu.be/niKblgZupOc

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Pool of Radiance, Chapter 5: From a Well, Actually

Today on the Gold Box Adventures, we'll be cleaning out Kuto's Well. Located immediately west of the Slums, the Well is, and I'm quoting from the script here, "a source of water for all seasons." We'll find a few surprises, see new and interesting faces, and stab them. The faces, I mean. We're going to stab people in the face.

Eesh. This place has seen better days.

Well, it's not like they're going to fix it. Monsters aren't very skilled in masonry.

You'd be surprised. We fought this one cult that put in moving walls and poo poo. It was nuts.

I don't remember any of that.

You wouldn't remember your own name if someone wasn't reminding you.

Say, who's the brunette with the club?

Knock it off, you guys. We need to be careful. There's a lot of lizardmen in this area.

Like, how would you know?

On the way back from getting those caracitures, I checked in with the word on the street.

quote:

doop de doo

Lizardmen! Lizardmen have taken over Kuto's Well!

Wow! Thanks for the heads up.

They've infiltrated our government! They wear their skins and run the entire city from the shadows!

... 'kay.

And you think he's reliable?

Well, he ain't not crazy, if that's what you're asking.

It ain't.

Isn't.

Whatever.

Wow! That guy was right!

If there's one thing a life of crime's taught me, it's that you gotta listen to the word on the street.

Even if it is salad.

Amongst the many new faces we'll be stabbing are lizardmen. This proud warrior race is staking a claim on Old Phlan, and they're known far and wide for pissing me off with their multiple attacks per round.

Worse yet, they have multiple hit dice, so Sleep's effectiveness is cut down dramatically. Hold Person still works, but there's a big difference between nine monsters going Helpless per round and three, and our lovely THAC0 is barely enough to take them down without help.

We do have something to even the odds, dubious as its usefulness may be...

Quick! Distract one of them!

Distract what now?

Who?

Huh?

What?

What's going on?

HA

grrrkd

Stabbing them in the back? That's low, even for you.

In my defense, it's a lot easier than stabbing them in the front.

Touché.

As a thief, Sternn gets access to backstab. It's the real reason to roll up a thief, but it's hard as hell to pull off in early game, because lol THAC0. To get it to work, one person must attack a target successfully. Then, the thief has to attack the target from the exact opposite square. The game is very specific about this. Also, it only works if the target hasn't taken an action between getting attacked and getting shanked in the kidneys. If you do it just right, you'll get some spiffy dashes around your attack and 2-3 hits with a massive damage bonus.

Look at the above example closely, because it's the last one you're going to see for a while. I'm still getting used to having a thief in the party, and I keep forgetting to put Sternn behind targets. We also haven't been on a lot of battlefields with room to manuever. And, on top of that, Sternn's aim sucks. Once he starts hitting higher levels and getting better gear, this'll be a lot more useful. Until then, I shall lol heartily at his misfortune and therefore mine.

Also in this area are gnolls. They hit a little bit harder, and we use large target damage against them. They are otherwise unremarkable in every way, and we'll treat them like really tall orcs. :geno:

It's quiet out here. Like, too quiet.

You mean, other than the lizardmen?

Well, shyeah.

That's a good point, though. I wonder why there aren't a lot of monsters here?

You just had to go and say something, didn't you?

It's my thing. It's what I do.

Like kobolds? Boy howdy, have you come to the right game! We're frequently going to be seeing waves of the little bastards from here on out. If you can't make the monsters hard, then make more of them. It's the '80s video game balancing way. :patriot:

Anyway, not much to write home about here. We stab and sweep these chumps to death and get back to explorin'. Or do we?

Well, that's the last of them!

Wow. Even I'm surprised this time.

Can't imagine why.

More kobolds! All the kobolds! All of them. :stare:

As you can guess, kobolds coming out of a well isn't normal. We... should probably look into that. But first, we have to fight the exact same fight we just fought. That's some really imaginative coding there, guys. Great design work.

Sure, why not? It's not like we're smart enough to avoid it.

Was that sarcasm?

I can't even tell any more.

A hidden door inside a well that a bunch of kobolds came out of. Sure. Sounds great.

Nifty! A secret lair!

gkk

Yup. There it is. There's the thing I expected.

In a painfully obvious twist, we've found a cave underneath Kuto's Well! There's... not a whole lot to see other than random guerilla attacks. Every now and then, kobolds will take shots at our guys that count as free attacks. They get to roll their usual THAC0 against every single character, and they get their usual damage rolls if they hit. Then, they retreat before we can retaliate. We, of course, will never have an opportunity to do out of combat damage like this, even though we're better armed and may actually know the fight is coming. No, we literally can't see monsters if they're more than five feet in front of us, because basic logistics are meaningless to the Gold Box series.

Anyway, there's only two real things of note down here. Let's get to the first one.

Getting really sick of these ambushes.

Could be worse. At least they aren't hitting us.

Does he—

Nope.

Do I what?

Uh, you gotta a little... thing there. In your head.

Wh—oh. Oh, man. This is embarrassing.

Happens to the best of us.

...who?

Yeah, I know. Look, it's not a very good bandit name. All the cool ones were taken, okay? I could've been Barry the Black, or even the Werdna the White, but nooooooooo. Some rear end in a top hat is already making 49 cents a mention off of those.

I'm sorry. What does this have to do with anything?

Damned copyright lawyers and their intellectual property! I'll show you! I'LL SHOW YOU ALL!

You all meet the strangest people.

Like attracts like, I guess.

Had we gone back to Sasha, we would've seen Norris' wanted poster outside Town Hall as a Proclamation. I think. We didn't, so, uh, here he is! :effort:

Norris the Grey is a Hobgoblin Leader with an enchanted sword and a small army. It's bad enough he's got THAC0 and damage bonuses, but all those lizardmen are a big problem, and we need to take care of them pronto.

Nevertheless, step one is to keep the arrows off of us. We send Sternn around back to deal with them. I haven't talked about it much, but bows and other ranged weapons can only be used if you're not standing next to a hostile target. I don't know why that's the case, but parking someone next to as many monsters with bows as possible saves you a lot of grief—especially since most of them will be orcs and kobolds, and who gives a poo poo about them at this point?

Liberal application of Hold Person drops a couple of lizardmen, but Norris is left unaffected. At least he can only attack once per round :sigh:

Fortunately, Shanna has extra HPs in her spellbook. :smug: Another lizardman and Norris himself are coralled. Meanwhile, up front, all three of our fighters are taking a massive beating. Still, we've gotten lucky enough that our reptillian counterparts haven't double-hit very often, or for very little damage when they do. We still have arrows to deal with, but little piddly shots of 3 and 4 every two rounds are the least of our concerns.

Rez knocks out six of the kobold leaders with a sleep spell...

...letting Sternn do his thing. Lying, low down, larcenous perverted etc.

lmao owned by a mage, smdh

Obnoxiously, both lizardmen make their save rolls against our final Hold Person. Shanna steps into the front line to provide a little extra healing since they're hurting pretty bad. Cure Light Wounds can be cast in combat situation, although the range is touch, i.e. someone you're standing next to.

With just a few lizardmen left, Rezen can put her final sleep spell to good use. lizardmen may not be sleep-able en masse, but one or two lizardmen away from the pack are still vulnerable to it. Wow, lizardman's one of those words that loses its meaning when you say it enough. lizardman lizardman lizardman. Is it one word or two? Who can say? Not me. Lizardman.

Down to one. In case you thought I was kidding about the proud warrior part: I wasn't. I can't remember a single instance in-game where lizardmen have surrendered.

We surround the last one and pummel it to death. Sterrn gets the killshot, so it's basically like he beat all of them singlehandedly when you think about it. :mmmsmug:

Yoink!

We grab his +1 Long Sword after the fight and give it to Heather. Finders keepers! I mean, finding it on his corpse is still finding it. +X Long Swords are loving golden in this game, so the faster we can get them into our fighters' hands, the better.

Rad! We have a secret base!

You actually want to rest down here?

Like, why not?

It's damp, there's mildew everywhere, and you can barely see where you're going.

Plus, there's no place t'sleep. It's just literally rocks on the ground.

I know! Reminds me of home. :h:

*scribble*

Shanna? What are you doing?

What the rest of you should have been doing: paying attention.

Journal Entry 50 posted:

An official looking notice.

"Assemble a group of at least 30 of your followers. Meet up with a hobgoblin assault force at the small docks to the west of town. You and your group will be under the command of the hobgoblin leader. Follow his orders. Upon completion of the mission you will be rewarded with food, treasure, and many slaves."

Signed,
The Boss

Scribbled on the back of these orders is Norris the Gray's unsent reply to The Boss

"I will never follow the orders of a hobgoblin. I don't go on missions until I know exactly what we're supposed to do. And I don't go on missions for an unknown amount of food, treasure and slaves. I do go on missions where I am in command; where I know exactly what the target is; and where I know exactly how much I'll get paid. Don't send me another order until you can meet my terms."

Signed,
Norris the Gray

God drat that's sassy.

I think if he hadn't been an enemy, he could've been... a friend.

Anybody else think it's weird a hobgoblin didn't want to take orders from another hobgoblin?

He was a hobgoblin?

...not actually clear on that myself.

Now that Norris is dead, we have a base! Except... we can rest in any block we've cleared without incident. So, there's no reason to hike down here to your adventurer fort whenever you need to heal up, because you can just plop down in the streets of the slums and do whatever you need to. It's a neat little RP thing, though. This series is full of little colorful choices you can make that change the current scenario but have little or no bearing on the overall adventure. Still, the effort is nice. It's drat sure more than any other game of this era was giving you. YOU HEAR ME, BARD'S TALE? I'M CALLING YOU OUT. JUST A MATTER OF TIME.

Ahem.

Well ( :haw: ), if we're moving in, we might as well scope the place out. Who the hell knows what they've been doing down here?

Looks like we're clear on traps.

You'll excuse me if that doesn't fill me with confidence.

If there were any, he would've set them off.

That's... actually a decent point.

Ssh. Ssh. Everyone shut up.

?

Over there. Start diggin', muscles.

TAKE THIS, YOU FUCKIN' FLOOR

I still have no idea how you do that, but I'm warming up to it pretty quick.

Natural ability!

Ya got it or ya don't. :hai:

Norris won't need his treasure stash anymore, so we'll give it a better home, by which I mean our pockets. Now that we've finally cleared a mission, it's a good idea to head to town. Our first stop is Town Hall.

Heyyyyyyy, Sasha. :grin:

Oh, good. It's you.

Don't be that way! We got you a gift!

That's very thoughtful of you. What is it?

*dump*

How sweet. Just what I've always wanted.

Um... we didn't do—

not clearing out the Slums. Definitely did do doing it, though.

Sounds legit.

Look, I know you didn't do it. You know you didn't do it. But the Council has gotten it into their big fat heads that you're the savior of the Slums, so here's your money.

We cleared out the rest of Old Phlan, too!

Don't push it.

Hooray for bugs! Apparently, the game is convinced I cleared the Slums, even though there's still a fight or two left. Whatever. I'll take it. With a little XP boost from completing the quest and a new round of jewelry and platinum, it's time to hit the training hall—where something magical happens. Literally!

OMG FINALLY

Lots of spells to pick from!

Go with the most obnoxious choice. It's never steered me wrong.

Hmm. "Stinking Cloud."

Sounds like a winner to me!

Now that Rez has finally hit Tier 2, we can learn our first tier 2 spell and, more importantly, scribe a much wider range of spells. Since we didn't do a full rundown of the Tier 1 spells, let's get on that officially:

Mage Tier 1

• Burning Hands. Does 1 point of damage per caster level to someone standing next to you. No savings throw. While it's neat to do 3-5 damage guaranteed, it's not really that useful.

• Charm Person. If it sticks, the human(oid?) NPC joins your side in a fight. I'm more in the business of shoveling out mass destruction as fast as possible myself, but there's probably helpful times to have this. On the other hand, you won't get access to the charmed NPC's gear after the fight.

• Enlarge. A big deal (heh) spell that increases the target's strength to 18(00) and makes them take large target damage. Lasts for 1 round per caster level. This is a really good buff for fighters throughout the whole game, and it's outright stupid you learn it so early.

• Reduce. Cancels Enlarge. If the target doesn't have that buff, makes them even smaller. Giants hit like normal humans, and humans hit like kobolds. I assume. I've never cast this and I'm never going to.

• Friends. Not the hit '90s TV show, which still wouldn't make it worth talking about. Boosts your Charisma, which makes some Parley easier, I guess? Who cares, it sucks.

• I CAST MAGIC MISSLE Besides getting the Funyons stuck in the machine, the caster hucks Level*0.5 projectiles made of Unincorporium at a single target. Each missle does 2-5 damage, and there's no savings throw or chance to dodge. You would think they'd just ramp up the spell damage instead of splitting it into separate missles, but D&D.

• Shocking Grasp. Does a scandalous 1-8 electrical damage, with an extra +1 for each caster level. Unclear if they get a savings throw, but they probably do. Utterly not worth the spell slot when Magic Missle exists.

And now, the moment you've been waiting for since at least the last paragraph...

Mage Tier 2

• Detect Invisibility. lmfao there are no invisible monsters in this game. There will be in later versions, but to be honest, you're better off with other spells since you need to kill those monsters right away. (fuckin' phase spiders)

• Invisibility. Hey, this spell actually doesn't suck! Cast it on a party member, and they can't be attacked or targeted until either the spell wears off or they attack someone. This also means they can wander around the battlefield with impunity without people auto-attacking them from behind as they move past. There's a lot of high level monsters that can see invisible, but when you need to get a thief or mage positioned juuuuuuust right to start a fight off, this can actually make a big difference.

• Knock. Opens any locked door or object, no questions asked. There are some locks that are so resistant to our attempts that Sternn won't be able to pick them and Hanover won't be able to break them. This spell will take care of them.

• Mirror Image. Creates 1-4 duplicates of the caster. If you're attacked, one duplicate disappears. This is actually really useful when you start fighting in large crowds: not only does it keep a high level fighter from flattening your mage, but it also prevents a spell casting mechanic that pisses me off to this day. I'm not going to tell you what it is yet, but trust me—we're going to see it a lot. Anyhoo, spell lasts until the duplicates are gone or 2 rounds per caster level, whichever comes first.

• Ray of Enfeeblement. If the target doesn't make their savings throw, they *checks notes* do "less damage" for 1 round per caster level. Yes, it just says "less damage." That's it. I'm not going to bother with it.

• Strength. Increases Strength (duh) by a "variable amount depending on class" for 6 turns per caster level. There is literally no reason to cast this when Enlarge exists. Moving on.

Rezen, however, has selected the best spell available from this tier, which is...

:gas: STINKING CLOUD :gas:

Stinking Cloud lays a 2x2 square of the finest quality stench on the battlefield. Anyone caught in it when cast or moving through it afterwards has to make a savings throw or spend 2-5 turns puking their guts up and unable to move. In addition, monsters in PoR are surprisingly smart enough no to walk through it, so it can also be used to block doorways. It's one more paralytic spell to add to our list, and it's really good against large targets that aren't affected by Hold Person.

Speaking of which: Shanna levels up! More Hold Persons for the Hold Persons god! (Hold People? idk) That brings our total up to three Sleep spells, two Stinking Clouds, and 4-5 Hold Persons, without narry a partridge nor a pear tree in sight. I cannot stress enough how important crowd control is. I mean, I've been joke-complaining about getting mobbed in the Slums and ha ha we all have a good time but no, that's going to stop being funny fairly soon. Wee need as many paralytics as we can get.

Oh, and Sternn levels up, too. Woot? :confuoot:

After all that, we consult the map, and it seems we have one more area in Kuto's Well to check.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: the world's most obvious ambush.

???

Ha! Did I call it or what?

????????

This lizardman and his guard dogs lizards are protecting this door, which means we're obligated to murder them and see what's inside. We give the lizardman the ol' Holdo Persono...

...and that takes care of that.

We also use a Sleep spell to pick off one of the lizards, because why not?

The rest is more or less academic, and our fighters can clean up the remaining enemies without any help. Giant lizards don't really have a lot going on for them—just about 1-8 damage a hit and so-so THAC0 and AC. I'd rather fight a pack of these things than lizardmen any day.

With that out of the way, let's see what's behind that door.

That seems... excessive.

Maybe we shouldn't go in there?

treasure

Hrgh

*rip*

Or not!

Like, how long have you been here?

Two months, give or take.

That's not a very long time...

Do you have any idea how fast the world moves these days? I was 23 when they put me in here!

And you aged this much? Is time so unstable here?

...no, I'm still 23.

*coughs*

*fidgets uncomfortably*

Anybody else weirded out by her eyes? It's like she watching me, but she's also watching me.

Wow. You guys are dicks.

Guilty as charged! :razz:

That was... ominous.

Yeah. I didn't pull you into this mess just to have a good time. Whoever this "Boss" is, he's serious business bad news.

Wait. This is what you consider a "good time?"

Oh, man. We haven't even gotten started yet. :q:

Yeah, this is great and all, but where's the treasure?

Oh, right! It's down there.

Well, at least we don't have to dig for this one.

:(

Loot! Sweet, glorious loot! We score a +1 Banded Mail and Bracers goddamn AC 4. +1 Banded Mail is not only light enough to get 12 squares of movement but has an AC comparable to plate mail, and I am all about that. The quarter staff is a joke, but we give it to Rezen anyway, along with the Bracers. Her Bracers AC 6 get moved over to Sternn since they're comparible to Leather and still don't count as heavy armor. Bracers are actually a really good idea for thieves until the ridiculous thief-specific gear starts showing up later—and if you somehow spike an extra Bracers AC 2, they're outright superior. Still, mage protection is first on the list in every conceiable scernario.

All that's left is taking out the rest of the trash, which means fightin' random encounters until we can't fight encounters no more. Completing that particular pain in the rear end wins us... nothing. Nothing whatsoever. The only thing we get for cleaning out Kuto's Well is a spiffy but unnecessary new hideout and another area free of random encounters. Well, I guess the reward for Norris counts. It's... something, but the Council will respond to the rest of our efforts with an disinterested shrug.

And that wraps up Kuto's Well! Two city blocks have been recaptured for the good(?) people of New Phlan, which is a great start for us. Tune in next time, where we'll hear Rezen say...

...lemon curry?

Next Time: Going, Going, Gone

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
1) Lizardman.

2) Have you considered rotating out some party members occasionally to shake things up? You'd have to edit their stats, of course, but once you're past the point where evil characters betray you you could easily replace someone with a lizardman or Paper Sorcerer character.

3) Lizardman.

4) Magic Missile and a lizardman (but mostly the lizardman) sounds like a good counter to Mirror Image.

5) Lizardman.

6) Any chance that when you clear out the slums for real the lizardman council will reward you for it again? With, say, some lizardmans?

7) Lizardman lizardman lizardman lizardman !#$%ING LIZARDMAN (you're right, it's working).

8) See also: lizardman.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

1) Lizardman.

2) Have you considered rotating out some party members occasionally to shake things up? You'd have to edit their stats, of course, but once you're past the point where evil characters betray you you could easily replace someone with a lizardman or Paper Sorcerer character.

3) Lizardman.

4) Magic Missile and a lizardman (but mostly the lizardman) sounds like a good counter to Mirror Image.

5) Lizardman.

6) Any chance that when you clear out the slums for real the lizardman council will reward you for it again? With, say, some lizardmans?

7) Lizardman lizardman lizardman lizardman !#$%ING LIZARDMAN (you're right, it's working).

8) See also: lizardman.

I知 glad you asked, DGLizardman. But no, the flag has been tripped for the slums now, and the game thinks we池e done. We池e not, of course, but I値l take loot and xp regardless.

Spells do, in fact, bypass Mirror Image. It痴 not a bad idea to cast Shield if you池e worried about it for both the AC boost and MM blocking, but you壇 honestly get more mileage out of having an extra sleep/magic missile.

And I壇 love to have Llewyn痴 band of evil dumbasses on the bench, but this kind of game doesn稚 lend itself to swapping, and I知 not going to cheat (yet?). No, it痴 these six until the bitter end. Besides, L痴 titanic ego would never let him take orders from anyone else.

Plus, do you really think it would be a good idea to introduce him to Sternn? :stare:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Stinking Cloud is indeed a great spell. Even if those caught in it make their saving throw, their THAC0 is still reduced because they're coughing. You do have to make sure your party stays out of it, though. I've had more than one fight ruined because I assumed my saves were good enough that a fighter or cleric could enter a stinking cloud without any problems. Better to stay out entirely than risk bad luck.

Charm Person and Ray of Enfeeblement are spells that I generally don't find very useful. However if the enemy casts them and my group fails save, that can be a bad day. Until I got a certain 3rd Level Spell (Dispel Magic) and maybe even afterwards, I usually devoted a spell slot or two to Charm Person for nullification purposes. One Charm cancels another, if you didn't know. Can be useful to turn my party members back to my side if they fall to an enemy Charm. Then again, they still get a save, and I've had that fail a few times. :( There are also not too many non-boss enemies in PoR that can cast Charm.

Heads-up- You may want to grab Knock at next level. Last time I checked Game FAQs about PoR, they reminded me there's a plot door that requires Knock and no scrolls with it in the game (file this under dick moves). 4th Level is probably the best time, since most of the third tier spells are so darn good.

The politically correct term for Lizardmen these days is Lizardfolk. I doubt anybody will ever get around to correcting old games though.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Did somebody say Lizardman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AoPpfmJK3Q

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The reason Magic Missile gets more missiles instead of bigger missiles is because you don't have to send them all at the same target in tabletop. You can spread them around if you want. I think the only D&D PC game that lets you do this is Temple of Elemental Evil, and that one has its own problems in terms of bugs and interface. Plus the fact that it's a module written for a different ruleset ported straight across, so if you build a character that uses a weapon type that didn't exist, gently caress you. If you run into an enemy that got its intended challenge level lowered, count yourself lucky, because if you run into something that got its intended challenge level raised, gently caress you.

Knock is one of those spells that's really kind of a problem in D&D, because one of the major things for Rogues is picking locks, and here's a wizard that gets one of your major class features as a regular loving spell. It's not even high level! It's a second-level spell that wizards get at level three! And of course there aren't any locks that are immune to magic, but there are locks that are immune to being picked so here comes the wizard to save the day. I guess the saving grace of rogues is supposed to be that they don't have to noisily spend a resource to pick a lock.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

MechaCrash posted:

The reason Magic Missile gets more missiles instead of bigger missiles is because you don't have to send them all at the same target in tabletop. You can spread them around if you want. I think the only D&D PC game that lets you do this is Temple of Elemental Evil, and that one has its own problems in terms of bugs and interface. Plus the fact that it's a module written for a different ruleset ported straight across, so if you build a character that uses a weapon type that didn't exist, gently caress you. If you run into an enemy that got its intended challenge level lowered, count yourself lucky, because if you run into something that got its intended challenge level raised, gently caress you.

Knock is one of those spells that's really kind of a problem in D&D, because one of the major things for Rogues is picking locks, and here's a wizard that gets one of your major class features as a regular loving spell. It's not even high level! It's a second-level spell that wizards get at level three! And of course there aren't any locks that are immune to magic, but there are locks that are immune to being picked so here comes the wizard to save the day. I guess the saving grace of rogues is supposed to be that they don't have to noisily spend a resource to pick a lock.

The biggest problem with ToEE was that they chickened out and removed the whorehouse before releasing the game.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So does the game tell you once you've cleared an area of random encounters, or are you supposed to just assume that everyone is dead once they stop trying to kill you?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Randalor posted:

So does the game tell you once you've cleared an area of random encounters, or are you supposed to just assume that everyone is dead once they stop trying to kill you?

If I recall correctly, it doesn稚 tell you. You just stop having random encounters. Then you can rest safely in the area. Of course this was the only game in the series where you could clear all the randoms from an area just by attrition, and I知 not sure it was possible with every area either.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
So Bard's Tale called me with a message to pass along, but before it could tell me the message it got interrupted by a random encounter.

Stinking cloud plus missile weapons can be an effective tactic in this game, although the 1 round per level duration is a problem. Works much better with L4 wizards and at least two wizards in the party. Also, note that casting one cloud atop another makes monsters within the area make another save.

I can't recall if this changed between games, but I do know the AI is sometimes happy to wander aimlessly through clouds until it fails the save. The main factors I recall are being large or huge and starting with part of itself in the cloud.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Plus, do you really think it would be a good idea to introduce [Llewyn] to Sternn? :stare:

As long as I have time to make enough popcorn first, YES. :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

achtungnight posted:

Heads-up- You may want to grab Knock at next level. Last time I checked Game FAQs about PoR, they reminded me there's a plot door that requires Knock and no scrolls with it in the game (file this under dick moves).

I知 aware. Hilariously you can force that door in the Amiga version with an item that buffs strength. But yeah, we may want to check out Knock. And maybe book that spell ahead of time. Since we値l need it for a library.

Narsham posted:

I can't recall if this changed between games, but I do know the AI is sometimes happy to wander aimlessly through clouds until it fails the save.

It does. The observant among us will notice I said they won稚 do it in PoR. Fortunately, in the rest of the series, they値l happily plow their dumb asses right through trying to get to the mage.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

But yeah, we may want to check out Knock. And maybe book that spell ahead of time. Since we値l need it for a library.

Ugh. Hey, mods, is it possible to get someone kicked out of their own thread? :rolleyes:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

Ugh. Hey, mods, is it possible to get someone kicked out of their own thread? :rolleyes:

If anyone could do it, it'd be me! :razz:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

DGM_2 posted:

It actually happened in the Tiberium/Red Alert thread :laugh:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Can... can we get some details? There's a story there that's dying to be told.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Randalor posted:

Can... can we get some details? There's a story there that's dying to be told.

this please :stare:

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
It's not much of a story. He has a strict no spoilers policy and accidentally did a spoiler, so he got a probation for it. Pretty sure he even reported himself.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Colander Crotch posted:

It's not much of a story. He has a strict no spoilers policy and accidentally did a spoiler, so he got a probation for it. Pretty sure he even reported himself.

Ah, the classic self probation. It's a forums comedy tradition :patriot:

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Chokes McGee posted:

I知 aware. Hilariously you can force that door in the Amiga version with an item that buffs strength. But yeah, we may want to check out Knock. And maybe book that spell ahead of time. Since we値l need it for a library.

It is also possible on the DOS version from GOG, even without buffing. Any locked door can potentially be picked or bashed, some of them just have low success rates, especially at low level.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Wow, that was one lizardman update! I'm glad that Chokes continues to lizardman us such lizardman content!

Lizardman.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

Wow, that was one lizardman update! I'm glad that Chokes continues to lizardman us such lizardman content!

:raise:

Did we just turn "lizardman" into the new "smurf?"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

:raise:

Did we just turn "lizardman" into the new "lizard man?"

ftfy

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Huh, Norris is looking a little... different... than I'm used to.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Truthkeeper posted:

Huh, Norris is looking a little... different... than I'm used to.

Yeah the hobgoblin representation makes more sense in the pc version and that痴 near jump scare levels when you see that :stare:

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
So, the spell Strength technically has a higher cap than Enlarge (19 vs. 18/00) which is a difference of (checks table) +1 damage and no change in to-hit.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

MaskedHuzzah posted:

So, the spell Strength technically has a higher cap than Enlarge (19 vs. 18/00) which is a difference of (checks table) +1 damage and no change in to-hit.

I never understood the exceptional strength thing. Yes...if you create 216 fighters, one of them will have 18 strength, and the maximum bonus will only occur one every 21,600 fighters. "Do any other stats work like that?" No, just strength.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Yeah, but it's class dependent. If we want Giant Rezen then Enlarge is far superior, which it is. :colbert:

Also it still boggles my mind that you can start casting Enlarge at Level 2 but have to wait until 4 or so for Strength. :psyduck:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Yeah, but it's class dependent. If we want Giant Rezen then Enlarge is far superior, which it is. :colbert:

Rezen is enough of a handful as is. I doubt the others need any more of her.

Not that that will stop you, of course...

quote:

Also it still boggles my mind that you can start casting Enlarge at Level 2 but have to wait until 4 or so for Strength. :psyduck:

Isn't it levels 1 and 3? But regardless, yeah, D&D spells aren't always well-balanced.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Looking up the AD&D rules, it looks like Enlarge wasn't really meant to be a strength buff; that's just a bonus. The description spends a lot more time talking about how it would make objects better/sturdier, then mentions "oh and a 12' tall person would have ogre strength and a 18' tall person would have giant strength".

The size increase is also based on the level of the caster (20% per level), so you're not getting giant strength until the caster is around level 5 (200% increase X 6' tall fighter). It also only lasts for 1 turn/level, so when you first get it it won't last an entire combat.

They probably also expected the DM to enforce some penalties on enlarged players, such as not being able to move through certain spaces and being way easier to hit.

Of course that all goes out the window in a PC game where combat happens in big empty rooms filled with enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Nemo2342 posted:

The size increase is also based on the level of the caster (20% per level), so you're not getting giant strength until the caster is around level 5 (200% increase X 6' tall fighter). It also only lasts for 1 turn/level, so when you first get it it won't last an entire combat.

In AD&D a 'turn' is ten 'rounds', and a round is what we usually consider a combat action. Something that lasts 1 turn/level actually lasts for 10 rounds, more than enough to kill anything that moves. :ocelot: