Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Turning at higher levels is so fun, in the Aurora Engine games (BG, IWD, etc) the crunch you hear when the skeletons and zombies implode is quite satisfying, as is seeing all the skulls and crossbows popping up and wiping the map in Gold Box games that are more heavy undead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

DGM_2 posted:

Hmm... Now you've got me wondering what a Knock spell would do to a treasure chest mimic.

scannersheadexplosion.gif

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Didn't somebody run the numbers and discover the amount of monsters spawn is scaled with stats so maxing out stats actually hosed you over in some gold box games? I think it was in the FATAL & Friends thread.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

DGM_2 posted:

Alternative idea: Rezen's goddess powers kick in just long enough to grant Justine paladinhood, so instead of having to thank one of Sternn's con jobs for her holy powers she's technically required to worship the loopy mage.

Either way, comedy goldmine.

This I like.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

PurpleXVI posted:

Supposedly the BG2 book got real weird and greasy once it reached the Drow-related parts of the game.

it did.

Honestly it was also weirdly racist with Yoshimo being basically described as 'yellow' and a small, overweight coward.

And the drow part of the game had the greasy straight men wanting girl-on-girl action.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

KataraniSword posted:

Both Baldur's Gate and Athkatla (the main hub-city in BG2) have non-trivial sewer systems, though they're pretty cramped and confined even for dungeons in those games, certainly not the spacious catacombs of this game. Not sure about in NWN.

And the way path-finding and how formation works in the engine makes navigating any twisty narrow hall a pain in the god drat rear end because half your party will see as the way's blocked by the other party members and decide to walk all the way in the wrong direction to 'get around' hitting a dead end, drawing aggro or both.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Apparently some of the weird ones came from Gygrax buying dollar-store assortment of dubiously-made toys to act as monsters for his group, and he just 'Okay... it's an owl-bear thingy' when asked what it's supposed to be.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and frankly from other gold box games, Shambling Mounds are just a loving pain in the rear end if you don't have anything like a wand of defoliation - they're flat out designed to completely to neuter mages.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ayndin posted:

There was definitely an entry in one of the 2nd edition Monstrous Compendium supplements for Ravenloft that was basically ‘this is a creepy doll golem’. Can’t speak for 1e as well, but I don’t remember one in the MM or Fiend Folio offhand.

There's a couple different ones, a doll golem, Carrionettes that are basically animate marionettes that will try to ambush people to steal their bodies (leaving the victims trapped in their original bodies)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

EDIT: Wrong thread. That's a first for me.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 3, 2020

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Kacie posted:

Piling on the beholder hate. My experience was slogging through the whole den of them in Baldur's Gate 2. You better have found the mirror cloak, or else you are going to be reloading and not having a fun time. Even with the cloak, it's not fun. (And still involved lots of reloads, just not nearly so many as would have been required without the cloak.

They're one of the three options for a quest you needed to do to appease the group you're pretending to serve - and let's put it this way, the fact there's an Illithid den is what makes the Beholders only the second-hardest of the three options.

Of course most players are going to do all three for all the loot and XP

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I honestly don't think I've have as fond memories of these games if I had started with these instead of Gateway/Treasure of the Savage Frontier, as wow there's a lot of filler and ridiculously hard encounters for no real reason.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, no other spell is as reliable for clearing chaff. Almost every other crowd-clearing spell has an HD limitation or save-or-suck while Fireball will do damage even if the enemies save.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think Salvatore has been on record that the main reason why he writes Drizzt books is why Kojima kept making MGS games until Konami fired him: Not wanting to see someone else mess with their creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and there are far worse writers in their stable than Salvatore.