Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I just hope you use the incredibly overpowered magic items to break the game over your knee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Hahahaha HAHAHAHAHA oh no you’re being serious :(

I mean, I've watched the speedruns for some of these. There are at least 2 items that (if duplicated using tried and true CRPG trickery) can just wreck certain fights.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Ooooh. Yeah if you dupe items this thing gets silly in a hurry, especially once you get a certain mysterious jar of dust mite excrement. I will not be doing that, however, because it’s cheating and Lincoln Fitzgerald Sternn would never cheat. Never.

You pulled out The Bishop in the Wizardy LP, I have no doubt you'll deploy whatever means necessary to save the universe.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Wow, that was one lizardman update! I'm glad that Chokes continues to lizardman us such lizardman content!

Lizardman.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Yeah, but it's class dependent. If we want Giant Rezen then Enlarge is far superior, which it is. :colbert:

Also it still boggles my mind that you can start casting Enlarge at Level 2 but have to wait until 4 or so for Strength. :psyduck:

Looking up the AD&D rules, it looks like Enlarge wasn't really meant to be a strength buff; that's just a bonus. The description spends a lot more time talking about how it would make objects better/sturdier, then mentions "oh and a 12' tall person would have ogre strength and a 18' tall person would have giant strength".

The size increase is also based on the level of the caster (20% per level), so you're not getting giant strength until the caster is around level 5 (200% increase X 6' tall fighter). It also only lasts for 1 turn/level, so when you first get it it won't last an entire combat.

They probably also expected the DM to enforce some penalties on enlarged players, such as not being able to move through certain spaces and being way easier to hit.

Of course that all goes out the window in a PC game where combat happens in big empty rooms filled with enemies.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Commander Keene posted:

I'd absolutely believe that there's no save on level drain in some edition of D&D, because the older editions are full of bullshit like that. There are a few "just die, no save" effects in older D&D editions, IIRC.

3e has it so that stuff that would cause you to lose a level in older editions instead gave you a "negative level", which applied a penalty to most things you tried to do (basically any d20 roll), and could be removed by a successful saving throw 24 hours later, failure on that saving throw being the point where you actually lose the character level. So the wight still inflicted negative levels without giving you a saving throw up front, but you weren't suddenly one level behind everyone else just because the enemy hit you, and you could still get a Restoration or Greater Restoration cast to clear it at any point before you actually lost the level.

Pathfinder does away with the "lose a level", making negative levels (the aforementioned penalty to rolls) potentially permanent if you fail the save (but still curable with the proper spells).

4th Edition D&D does away with that kind of crap entirely; there are no level-draining or negative level effects in the game, AFAIK. Wights steal healing surges instead.

5th edition has them lower your maximum hp, though it does get a save. If your max hp gets lowered to 0 you die and come back as a zombie 24 hours later. You can remove the effect by taking a long rest, along with the usual Restoration spells.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Sup thread. Next update should be coming out sometime soon, probably during the weekend. This next part is very boring so I’ve been putting it off, plus I’m undergoing job search and it’s been nuts.

Thanks for your patience, and I promise not to Paper Sorcerer this one.

Have you tried telling the wasps to stop freeloading and start paying their share of the rent?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

ah, but you forget:

:effort:

Max laziness wins out in the end.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Next Time: High Stakes Combat

Time to stock up on garlic?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Voting C

I can't imagine Stern would have it any other way.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Well, good news, everyone. I'm not dead from the sars and, in fact, will be updating in a day or two. I expect to have some extra time to work on the LP given that I've literally been welded into my house to prevent me from getting coffee or whatever. I don't know how they welded wood but they managed it.

Can you send the wasps out to run errands for you?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Over the first finish line! There... may be a bit before I start up Curse.

Thanks for sticking with me for this long, guys. I hope to crank out good enough quality to keep you around :)

Hooray! Thanks for the very entertaining LP.

Hopefully that's the last we've seen of the Hat :ninja:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

It was inevitable. Turning our guys loose with a +5 long sword and +2 plate mail was going to end in either that or the game difficulty curve massively inflating beyond what people new to the series could handle.

You could also say that it's also something of a genre convention. A lot of old games that allowed importing from previous games reduced your power in some way in order to maintain a semblance of balance.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Thanks for yet another incredible LP, Chokes! Though I am deeply afraid to learn the "secret" of the silver blades.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

The darkness consumes us all, bite by bite. Our only solace is leaving a foul taste in its mouth. :black101:

This is so metal I can just see the airbrushed van when I close my eyes.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

...did you just make a joke?

They're trying something new!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
All I want to say is that the inner child in me was thrilled to see the Fireball Island reference.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

achtungnight posted:

Got the shot three hours ago. Ok so far. Thx for sharing stories and presumed prayers. Pity we can’t live in a world like the Realms of this game where disease is cured magically and thus almost never a concern.

Except for when the DM railroads you and decides that magical healing can't cure your plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Contrary to popular belief, I am not in fact a shambling corpse in the fetid embrace of undeath and was merely visiting Rhode Island to find an apartment and prep for the move. Hopefully we'll be back on schedule this weekend.

I hope the wasps are enjoying the trip to Rhode Island.