Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Chokes... as glad as I am to see another LP by you, I cannot tell if you are a madman or a genius for playing the Amiga version. I realise that it's slightly less ugly, but I don't know how anyone could play these games anymore without the Gold Box Companion. There was another LP of these games (DOS version) some years ago. It was genuinely funny, but the author lost all of his saves at the start of the third game in the series and the LP died. It's still around, but all of the images have since been lost - a bloody shame. The lesson to be learned here, I suppose, is "make backups".

I know that they are incomplete, but can anyone link me the LPs of DW3 and PS? I'd at least like to read what there is of them.

On a similar note, someone actually did narrative, SS LPs of DW1 through 4 from the NES. While they are perhaps more twee than comedic, I'd like to post the links here, but only with Chokes' permission. I've asked the author repeatedly to send them to the archives, but without success. I'm afraid that they will end up lost to time as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I know that years ago I played a D&D game that had an aiming reticule for things like spells, but I can't remember well enough to name it. Needless to say, it's a nice feature. I forgot that in-battle fireballs in this game don't have a simple 3x3 box, which is admittedly easy to aim even if there isn't a silhouette of some sort.

Maybe I will think of that game some day. Just yesterday I remembered the name of a song from 1984 by playing a game from 2002 that's set in 1986 and I've been trying to recall that since 2018, so poo poo happens.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
This might literally be the first time in the history of DQIII that someone class changed into a Fool.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Being not quite the biggest arsehole in the current scene is technically "good guy"... or at least "better guy"

Let's not ask too much

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I have to give Chokes credit, especially given the nature of the... protagonists, for not automatically taking either the "max loot" option nor the "max chaos" option.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I don't know why I find the Sasha bits so funny, but I do.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Apparently golds, like silvers, can innately turn into humanoids and mostly prefer to stay that way because they love books, which are hard to use if one has huge loving claws. I recently read the History of the Dragons (not the actual title) book from Dragonlance, which is basically the same as FR dragons.

Bronze ones are apparently solitary pricks. Not evil, just grumpy.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

PurpleXVI posted:

For the more varied dragons, Steel Dragons also tend to assume humanoid form and promptly become prominent capitalists and bankers most of the time.

After I read this, I quite literally had the window open to post "So, Lawful Evil then?", but then my sweet cat wanted a hug and I forgot.

Peanut Butler posted:

yeah but that's what The Economist always says

If The Economist ever had any credibility (they didn't), it's now gone as smoke one wind with their most recent issue in supermarkets with a picture of You Know Who on the front and the caption "Keeping America Great"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

achtungnight posted:

Ok, I gotta ask. What's the deal with lemon curry? Is it a running gag from previous LPs? Just curious because it's been mentioned so much.

It's from Monty Python. Seriously

Genuinely surprised that no-one has mentioned it yet.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

achtungnight posted:

My familiarity with Monty Python skits is not as good as it should be. :( I was born in 1979 and have only seen Holy Grail in its entirety once. I haven’t seen any of the other films.

I, coincidentally, was also born in '79. I grew up in the UK, but the show itself is just as if not more popular in the US. I'm quite surprised that that's not where Chokes got it from. Not the phrase itself, but using it as a nonsensical interjection apropos of nothing. That's literally how it is used 4-6 times over the course of one 30minute episode of Flying Circus.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Straight White Shark posted:

You can sort of cheat the cap with multiclassing; level 6 characters are a bit on the low side but level 6/6/6 (spooky) is a bit better. The problem is that completely fucks you over in the long run because you'll be hitting racial caps in future games. You might make it through Azure Bonds with a few multiclasses but they're complete nonstarters further on.

This is a very good point but the Gold Box Companion, which is amazing, has a way to work around this. Racial level caps were one of the many stupid aspects of the early D&D versions.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Chokes McGee posted:

It is absolutely a Monty Python callback and I’m surprised it took this long for someone to comment on it, let alone figure out the reference. I was originally going to do it two or three times as a joke, but why get in the way of a good running gag?

There's no way to say this without sounding smug, but the first time that you did it I smiled quite large and just went with it. Nobody mentioned it, which I took to be a silent understanding that everyone got it and we would just carry on. When people started talking about the possibility of a literal dish called "lemon curry", I thought that they were being coy. I am oblivious to almost everything in popular culture, and I suppose that I just assumed that any reference that I get is perfectly germane to people who actually pay attention to things.

Also, Chokes... look into the Gold Box Companion - seriously. It's one of those tools that's so good that I literally wouldn't play these games without it, and I don't believe that anyone should torture themselves in an LP for the sake of "authenticity"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
The fact that they are all people are talking about in this thread is a clear example of wight privilege.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Robindaybird posted:

Didn't somebody run the numbers and discover the amount of monsters spawn is scaled with stats so maxing out stats actually hosed you over in some gold box games? I think it was in the FATAL & Friends thread.

achtungnight posted:

PoR is the only Gold Box game that does that, I think, though I could be wrong.

I thought that it was all of them, but I'd like to hear a definitive answer on this if anyone has one. I'm all-but-certain that PoR does, but I believe, with less conviction, that the rest also do despite introducing a number of good QoL features.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Hannibal Rex posted:

Years ago, I read a quote or comment somewhere that, at least by the time SSB came around, they figured every player was maxing out their stats and balanced the games accordingly.

Makes complete sense

Hannibal Rex posted:

The most important attribute for Pools of Darkness and Dark Queen of Krynn is dexterity for the boost to initiative, which determines which side gets to cast Delayed Blast Fireball first. Enemy mages all have 18 dex.

I did not know about this, but I'd also forgotten about the dex boost to initiative from 1st edition as I was almost entirely a 2nd ed child. I always focused on Con for the simple reason that HP before third edition were limited and precious. I've done some hex editing myself in the past in various places, but I'm grateful to Gold Box Companion for making it simple to max HP.

I'm a proponent of a set HP value per level, à la 4e, but I've been a fan of adding Con to starting HP since the 2e days. It makes level 1s much more durable.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

PurpleXVI posted:

Personally I always give my players max HP per level-up when I play, because it's more or less the only non-fixed progression thing that can leave someone really wallowing in the dirt, especially considering that being a BEEF WALL is essentially a fighter/paladin/ranger class feature, denying them that just because of a bad roll feels like an rear end in a top hat move.

Base CON hit points is my #1 house rule, but I agree with this as well. I feel that max HP on level up (which is an option in the Infinity Engine games) and max rolls on any healing effects (also in IE games) are the best way to do it. I'm fine with fixed "average" HP rolls, à la 4e, as well as it creates a baseline that is sensible, but early 2e combat was loving brutal and it's been that way in every edition but 4. Having +CON hit points to start really makes the early levels less of an abattoir and has minimal impact later - it's perfect.

Edit: I just remembered that, in 2e, we used hit die for heal spells. So if a cleric cast Cure Light Wounds on a fighter, it was 10 HP back, but only 8 for another cleric, 6 for a bard/rogue and 4 for a wizard, plus CON mod. Cure Moderate Wounds was 20/16/12/8 etc. We played campaigns with relatively few fights but the fights were much more consequential, apart from one memorable campaign, so resource drain per encounter was more severe and needed to be accounted for.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 12, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
The spectre of bad comedy veils this once proud thread.

:ssh:This thread was never proud. :ssh:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Peanut Butler posted:

you heard me right- i'm threatening plains cape torment

I'm pretty sure that torturing gags violates the Geneva Convention.

What a ghastly bit of wordplay that was.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I was going to chime in that GBC, I believe, has tools for this, but you already did it the hard way so never mind.

I've hex-edited a bit in the past and I find it to be a royal pain in the sphincter

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Since the latter three games in the series support Paladins and Rangers, I think that it would be fun if one or both of those were incorporated. This party has multiple fighters, and fighters are mechanically very boring in most D&D versions.

Before anyone says anything, yes GBC has a utility for this and no, I am not receiving any money for this endorsement. Fantasy games in general suffer from non-magical classes being as bland as beige.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Chokes McGee posted:

PRETTY sure you can't dual class a transferred character into a non-basic class but what do I know :shrug:

It's too late now at any rate

Characters cannot be dual-classed into or out of a paladin in D&D rules or changed in transfer, regrettably. Having a mechanic where a simple fighter becomes a sainted holy warrior blessed by the gods would be grand.

I did back-check and apparently the GBC lets players make paladins & rangers in Pools of Radiance and then transfer them. PoR didn't support these classes, but all of the later games did and GBC just extends that option into the first game.

The Krynn trilogy added a lot more flavour and variety to class options, but I'm pretty sure that Dragonlance has a strict policy against the riff-raff in this game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

syzpid posted:

I feel like the Gold Box games are cursed. I swear I remember someone 2-3 years ago trying to LP the whole series with the same party, and importing them into Bonds just totally broke the game and the LP'er was just burnt out trying to fix it.

Really enjoying this though, hope you make it all the way chokes.

I remember this. It was a very funny LP - seriously, Chokes level funny - but the author's saved games were destroyed by a hard drive crash, I believe, right after starting the 3rd game in the series. The thread is still out there, I can link it, but the photos are gone.

Chokes, I did want to say that if switching to the DOS games makes things less buggy and worrisome, just do it. I'm sure that you of all people can find a way of making it make sense in-universe. Do what you have to do to make an entertaining and complete LP and don't worry a moment about "purity".

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Since he's going to move to the DOS version regardless, I'll (re)add my voice in favour of Chokes turning Justine into a Paladin and possibly someone else from a fighter to a ranger, on the grounds that it will make for better narrative possibilities and also because pure fighters are boring.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
olav ha-sholom Terry Jones

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Xenocides posted:

I think my save was corrupted if I remember right. I could be wrong; it has been a long time. It was a fun LP to write and I miss writing those characters but the game was a slog. Nice to see someone else trying. It takes a certain level of masochism to play these games. I salute you.

Also fun fact. At least in the version I played it did not matter what the Resist Cold spell did because there are no enemies that use a cold attack in the entire game.

I am glad that you are well, but I wish that you had sent the first two games, at least, to the archives. The text is there but the photos are gone, and I doubt that you kept them. It was a great LP while it lasted.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
The general rule for missile weapons through 2e was "bow if you can, sling if you can't (in other words, you are a cleric or mage), crossbows are shite" Given that most D&D games were made during that era of tabletop, it translates into the CRPGs.

The other "rule" is that fireball beats lightning bolt in every video game except for the side-scrolling Tower of Doom/Shadow over Mystara, where Lightning Bolt fills half the screen and wrecks everything and Fireball is roughly the equivalent of a bird going plop on someone's shoes.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Years ago, but well after this game came out, someone gifted me an MMO character named Porphyrys - that exact spelling, even. Can't be a coincidence.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Don't piddle on my dreams, mate.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I have read all of Chokes' previous LPs, and I can say without fear of contradiction that he is indefatigable, tenacious and [insert long word here] in pursuit storytelling, unless he gets distracted by some other proj... ooh, LEGO!

*This post brought to you by a grown man who still has all of his Legos

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Narsham posted:

And yes, it is possible to take the Dust of Disappearance into the next game, where you can use it to accomplish something somewhat amusing that you're unlikely to manage without it.

I vote that Chokes edit this into inventory and that he do the unlikely* thing with it.

*presumably even more unlikely than a bunch of low-level adventurers killing a full-grown dragon with no damage sustained

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Chokes, since you are going to have to edit a bunch of things anyway, I am going to reiterate the idea that you do some class changing. I love the idea that was already posited of Justine becoming a Paladin and I personally think that writing Heather (because, like, trees are totally great, right?) or Hanover as a ranger would be great fun. You have a six person party and you (understandably) don't seem keen to multiclass or dualclass, so this would give you six different classes and allow you to show off pretty much all the game has to offer in terms of character build options. I'm of a mind that if one is going to show off every little intricacy of all four games such as side-quests and alternate outcomes, classes and game mechanics should be a part of that.

Chokes McGee posted:

also also, stop writing my characters better than I do, you're making me look bad :(

As if this thread wasn't enough... :D

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 3, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

DGM_2 posted:

Dude, you took Sternn as a party member, period. You should regret all the things.

quote:

He did not regret that thing.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
At least up until 2nd edition, green dragons breathed a cloud of chlorine gas, which I thought was a clever alternate breath weapon to the usual cone of fire or what have you. Sadly, I believe that they changed it to something more banal in later editions.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
In another gold box game, one of the ones set in Krynn, I believe, the players fight what are called something called "Dragon Skeletons", or something close to that, that seem to very specifically avoid mentioning Dracoliches. I recall them not having any special abilities, possibly even no breath weapon, so I think that the idea was that they were the mindless animated bones of dragons in the same way that skeletons are mindless people bones. Much less intimidating than an actual undead dragon, that's for bloody sure.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Chokes McGee posted:

as long as it's not vomiting hold person and fire breath every loving turn they could call it susan for all I care

Now I want to make a game where every enemy without a breath weapon and hold person is called "Susan", with palette swaps called "Margaret", "Brigitte", "Katherine" and "Cindy"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Is H.C. Cavall a pen name?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ddegenha posted:

I'm obscurely disappointed that you're not one of the 6 herbs that the KFC twitter account follows.

Perfect in every way

I just reread all of the LPs of the Final Fantasy Legend series on the archives, in fact

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Chokes McGee posted:

Almost halfway through Pools. I've let up since as writing is obviously lagging behind content and I've wandered a bit to other interests.

If I'm still doing this well into Blades I'm probably going to have the momentum needed to take Pools more seriously. I'm just dreading the current level and it's always like getting hit with 60mph wind currents when you start your first fight.

Have you thought about a change of narrative device or another sort of drastic switch? Not in general, just for this next bit. I am just spitballing ideas here, but instead of having the characters react to everything as if it were actually happening to them, you could flashback, flash-forward, break the fourth wall, switch perspective etc

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

RabidWeasel posted:

Framing at least one update as the team reminiscing about <tedious murder punctuated with wacky antics> over dinner would be fine by me and a good way to just ignore a bunch of cruft

When I wrote my original post, I honestly had in my head Heather DeMarco describing an absolute slaughter in retrospect in her most annoying valley girl accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I enjoyed the "smell humour" myself. I remembered a few (I assume that lemon = joy is a reference to the washing up liquid of the same name) such as violets and bread, but I genuinely thought that peppermint was legit for a while. Fortunately, I got over that when he did jalapeno smell because those are disgusting.

Also, I do not get the "Willow" reference... anyone care to enlighten me?