Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Come back from the Internet Wilderness, slam down several months of Chokes McGee LP.

Life is good.

Chokes McGee posted:

Modern “lol Nintendo hard” gaming misses the larger point: the game wasn’t designed hostile, it just ended up that way. There’s a masochistic meanness to modern day efforts that sucks all the charm out of the retro experience and the only one I’ve played that was worth a drat is vvvvvv.

Celeste nails it, and along with VVVVVV proves that we've actually fuckin' learned something in the past 30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
My mind went immediately to the Ludosity-verse.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
It's a cute mechanic, since it sort of implies that once you seriously bring the pain, it can only kind of wheeze fire on you.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Girl Drink Drunk posted:

If I recall correctly, I think D and D* both automatically destroy undead. D* is a higher average number, though (1d6+6 undead targets instead of 1d12?). Unfortunately, I've misplaced my 2nd edition ad&d books, so I can't confirm for sure. I did find my 4th edition Hackmaster books that cribbed a lot from 2nd edition ad&d, though, and there is a similar table for turn undead where a D* has a descriptive footnote that states additional undead are destroyed.

I just found my 2nd edition ones, and the asterisk is indeed "an additional 2d4 creatures of this type are turned/dispelled".

Also in 2e, evil priests' turn/dispel is indeed command; a "turned" undead will obey you for the duration of the "turning" and a "dispelled" one is now, basically, your undead minion instead of their former master.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Ah yes the Chokes Cinematic Universe

Chokes McGee posted:

it includes both The Lady and somehow the entire compute!'s gazette lp and I stand by that assertion

Chokes McGee posted:

apple willie bard's tale run when

I'd missed the DW3 LP and needed to refresh my memory on the FFL ones, and I regret to inform you that this is not the way the gazette LP made it into canon.

All through the FFL LPs we are sent off to your sound cloud for some set of suitably epic music. And every time.

Every.

Time.

SoundCloud would then select a song to autoplay after one loop, it inevitably chose this.

: THE TITHE MUST BE PAID

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Narsham posted:

“I am sick and tired of these... wait, was that the only motherfucking snake in this motherfucking cave?”

It turns out the snake in this motherfucking cave did not outstay its motherfucking welcome!

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

PurpleXVI posted:

Has there ever been a game with a non-poo poo spinner/teleporter maze?

Might and Magic 1 had a dungeon with a teleporter that could be tuned to any location in the dungeon. The trick was to find the one square on your map that you couldn't actually reach and tune it to that coordinate.

The prize was garbage, but you got to feel real smug.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
You know, for all that early D&D heroes are dismissed as ragtag bands of murder hobos, it is really nice to see the degree to which you can be hailed as heroes by groups of monsters, even in published modules.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Chokes McGee posted:

I want to emphasize that Yume Nikki is not a happy game. At all. But, in this particular case, it's been filtered through this:

I was not familiar with Yume Nikki but was familiar with the, ah, filter, and now many things are explained.

Just know that I've been hearing "Seeeeeeeecret" in that voice for this whole thread.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Tylana posted:

If this was during the edition you got XP for GP maybe it'd even counteract the level drain!

It was! That was a thing at least through 2nd.

Meanwhile, I have questions about this:

Did Heather just hit with a two-handed sword for zero base damage?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Chokes McGee posted:

Their wight buddies, of course, still level drain. So, to recap: This is 8-12 monsters that drain a level on any successful damage and 4-5 monsters that are walking one-shots. Thanks, game! Really glad that's a thing!

We do have fireballs at the ready, which makes me feel a little better about our chances. Still, it's a mess, and we need two tries to win and four casts of Restoration afterwards.

Can you go into a little detail about how you're approaching a fight like this such that you don't get anyone obliterated? Basically taking damage six times is a guaranteed obliteration for anyone in the party, right?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Cool, thanks. I guess I don't have a good sense of the degree to which good armor in these games results in actually not getting hit very often.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Straight White Shark posted:

Googling for AD&D stats it looks like wights have a THAC0 of 15, which sounds about right. That translates into a 30-40% chance to hit Chokes' dudes depending on AC variations. That's before buffs, too--prayer would shave off 5%, protection from evil another 10%.

Got it. So, assuming an RNG that is consistent over time (:eng99:) in the long run the expected number of hits on someone that gets attacked by Literally All Twelve Wights is, like, two. Then with all the magical gear with decent bonuses of their own, not to mention the extra bonuses against undead, the whole setup ends up as a sad testament to wight fragility.

And attacking presumably also ends their turn, so that's a hard cap of eight melee attacks against any one character per round.

I am now just barely willing to believe that in the hollow heart-holes of the battle designers, they could look at this and conclude "yes, this is balanced for a party of Level 5 PCs."

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Chokes McGee posted:

Greetings! I come from the future with news: the party has cleared PoR with flying colors, and assuming I can get there with updates, we'll be seeing Bonds soon enough.

Fun poo poo coming up in endgame, but we've got 2-3 missions to clean out first before we can get there.

Congratulations on your glorious victory!

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Chokes McGee posted:

Vorpal swords are the atomic bomb of D&D handheld weapons because they'll just lop limbs off sometimes, like oops hit a natural 20 your arm's gone! Sorry not sorry!

That is the Sword of Sharpness, not the Vorpal Sword. The Vorpal Sword follows its source—when it goes snicker-snack, that's its head and assuming it has one and only has one, that's a one-shot kill.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
C. What even is the point of having magic if you can't throw hexes around like it's no thang?

A9 11 8D 04 60. It's what Sternn would want, and The Bishop would understand.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I forgot to ask this at the time but how long did it ultimately take you to clear PoR?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm embellishing the story here but this bag urn of dust is the single most important item in any Gold Box game. I'm not going to spoil anything yet, but I have zero compunctions telling you this is our designated chainsaw for the series.

The Saw is family. The Dust... apparently was once family? Perhaps it shall be again.

clockwork chaos posted:

A beholder but with noses instead of eyes

Each nose blows a different putrid spell :stonk:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Chokes McGee posted:

Q: Uh. Four games? What's the run time on these things?

A: About 40+ hours each, I reckon.

I tremble in terror at what Pools of Darkness is saving up for you.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Chokes McGee posted:

All things considered, that's a pretty great line to go out on.

I'm a little concerned that the guildmaster may have been W.C. Fields. Or possibly Merlin the Magic Mouse.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

achtungnight posted:

The Guildmaster's line "I'd rather be in Yulash" was used in Die Hard- "I'd rather be in Philadelphia." I gather the line means "I'm in a very unpleasant place" but I have not heard it anywhere else, so I'm not familiar with the Mickey Mouse or WC Fields references. Enlighten me if you like, please.

Yulash is a place in the Forgotten Realms, a ruined city in the Dalelands with a lot of problems. I will not say more about it than that right now.

I'll outsource this one to Wikiquote:

quote:

Here lies W. C. Fields. I would rather be living in Philadelphia.

This was an epitaph Fields proposed for himself in a 1925 article in Vanity Fair. It refers to his long standing jokes about Philadelphia (his actual birthplace), and the grave being one place he might actually not prefer to be. This is often repeated as "On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia.", or "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia." which he might have stated at other times. It has also sometimes been distorted into a final dig at Philadelphia: "Better here than in Philadelphia." Fields' actual tomb at Forest Lawn in Glendale, California simply reads "W. C. Fields 1880–1946".

Emphasis mine, since Hanover is known to be well-read.

Merlin the Magic Mouse was a second-tier Warner Brothers character whose voice was an impression of WC Fields.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I don't know whether to congratulate you on your victory or offer condolences that now you are going to be playing Pools of Darkness.

Did you find that Bonds and Blades also took a lot less playtime than you were expecting them to?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
All I can add to this conversation is that the finest of Don Martin explosion sound effects is FAGROON, as depicted in "The Safe Movers".

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Chokes McGee posted:

Pools started. Heather just charged across the battle field from 20 squares away and soloed a Beholder. Just took all of its eye gazes like a champ and then murdered it dead :stare:

Awww, they grow up so fast :kimchi:

Seems like only a few pages ago we were talking about how ridiculous 1e fighter saves got at high levels.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
That was Thuryl, who is one of the LPers who inspired me to join the forums in the first place lo these many years ago.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
asked and answered :stonklol:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Willow is another import, like Vlad, from his Paper Sorcerer LP, as we are in the Chokes McGee Cinematic Universe here.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
It turns out emergency defibrillators are just casting Lightning Bolt on them at an implausibly low level.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Well, that isn't sinister at all.

Or would it be gauche to bring it up this early?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
As part of Spelljammer being the best D&D setting, it also included some notes that Beholders were supposed to be super-great wise beings who could help out everyone and be super-useful while doing so, but they hosed it all up by being incredibly racist jackasses.

One beholder climbed the highest mountain on his planet and was granted True Enlightenment, and got to achieve Proper Beholderhood. Alone, though, the only thing this ended up being good for was becoming a bartender in space.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Congratulations on laying another game to rest beneath the soothing hum of Rezen's chainsaw!

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Chokes McGee posted:

One of my favorite non-complete LPs on the forums was one poster trying to do the early Bard's Tale meat grinder by replacing each dead character with a fresh one suggested by the thread. I am reasonably certain they went 30 pages deep and didn't even make it to the samurai statue.

That LP was in fact completed and there is a payoff for it at the end of the run.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

My stony heart melted into a puddle of adorable lava :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Thanks for everything, Chokes. Best of luck in your new endeavours.

I am unlikely to follow you to your new home, but the Internet is large, and who knows what the future may bring?