Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.

Bogart posted:

Isn't Pools of Radiance the game that would uninstall everything in the folder you put it in? Is that a spoiler?

That was Ruins of Myth Drannor, the 3rd Edition game that came much later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Say, how hard would it be to post the party's statlines so we can play along if we want? This may be what finally gets me off my rear end to try to go further than the slums.

On the PC, anyway. The NES version had a few conveniences added that made some of the deadlier early fights a hell of a lot easier.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Okay, be honest, how many times did Sternn die this time?

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Ohhhh yeah, 1st Edition was full of those mistakes.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

We are literally unable to do it right now without a TPK and trying to do it will become a running gag over the next few updates.

(I know there's a way to, but I don't have that level of patience.)

This is where the NES version has one major difference in this game. For some reason, and I don't know if it's because I was always extremely lucky or if it's programmed in that version, delivering the package to Ohlo gets you a Necklace of Missiles in addition to the other rewards.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

This is the major place where the extra treasure you get in the NES version makes everything go so much easier.

We've talked about it before, the Necklace of Missiles, which lets you throw loving fireballs. 4, 7, or 9 orcs incapacitated is nothing compared to turning 16 of them at a time into crispy husks. Every time I played the NES version, I got it from the old man in the slums for the package delivery. This absolutely made clearing the slums and Sokol Keep easy.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

You can, but it’s sure as poo poo not going to be any time soon.

The other big trap to this is that Sokol Keep is presented, in essence, as a beginner quest - it's given to you at the same time the "clear the slums" commission is. Even worse, the other obstacles are easy to clear for a beginning party that doesn't even have access to Stinking Cloud! You have a codeword to bypass the undead, the scorpion and frogs are tough but manageable...
And then you have the loving orcs. A low-level party is given no slack in this encounter. You still need to chokepoint up or die, and at level 2, you have precious few paralytic spells available.

ETA: Also, Fireball is normally accessable at Magic User-level 5, granting access to Third Level spells. Typically, this grants you access to one, and only one, third level spell slot. And, even after clearing the slums and Kuto's Well, dealing with the Wand of Fear auction, and both the Textile House and the Library? Rezen is still not level 5. Your only way to access Fireball at this point are lucky scroll drops, a lucky necklace drop, or hiring the ripoffs at the guild.

Kliff fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 25, 2019

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

To be fair, it's perfectly in character with Sternn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

lmfao I just accidentally broke curse over my knee in about 14 hours. Advice to bad guys, don't give Rez her powers back, it doesn't end well for you

I didn't know chainsaws were in the Forgotten Realms.