Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Spectre Snare, bitches.

Wait, poo poo, that's Bard's Tale.

Well this still looks fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Thing I love the most about this series is that it has that janky 1st ed feel that reminds me of playing DnD with my bros back in middle school.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

MechaCrash posted:

The reason Magic Missile gets more missiles instead of bigger missiles is because you don't have to send them all at the same target in tabletop. You can spread them around if you want. I think the only D&D PC game that lets you do this is Temple of Elemental Evil, and that one has its own problems in terms of bugs and interface. Plus the fact that it's a module written for a different ruleset ported straight across, so if you build a character that uses a weapon type that didn't exist, gently caress you. If you run into an enemy that got its intended challenge level lowered, count yourself lucky, because if you run into something that got its intended challenge level raised, gently caress you.

Knock is one of those spells that's really kind of a problem in D&D, because one of the major things for Rogues is picking locks, and here's a wizard that gets one of your major class features as a regular loving spell. It's not even high level! It's a second-level spell that wizards get at level three! And of course there aren't any locks that are immune to magic, but there are locks that are immune to being picked so here comes the wizard to save the day. I guess the saving grace of rogues is supposed to be that they don't have to noisily spend a resource to pick a lock.

The biggest problem with ToEE was that they chickened out and removed the whorehouse before releasing the game.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
One of my first boss monsters from my first ever attempt at running a dnd game was an ogre who got a taste for troll meat and ate so much of it that he gained regeneration, but always had a lot of disgusting growths and tumors. If you did more than 10 points of damage to him in melee you had to save vs poison or be grossed out and wretching for two rounds.

Vrdak the Gluttonous owned, and I still roll him out for low-level parties to this day.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any DnD game should have an event that involves the Deck of Many Things

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I forgot this series went on for so long.

It's got four whole games. Five if you count Hillsfar.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

Goddamn the number of bad design decisions in this game seems staggering.

Do they at least learn as the series goes on?

lolololol let me tell you about 1st edition Dungeons and Dragons.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Death to Kender

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Turning Undead was deemphasized in 3ed but in previous editions it was baller

The number is the number on a d20 that you have to roll to get the undead to turn. T is an autoturn and D is just outright destruction.

Since the level cap for clerics is 6, this isn't all that much use when you're fighting the powerful undead from later in the game.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Randalor posted:

Part of me is going to regret asking, but what's the D* for?

IIRC it was destroy up to your level in that number of undead and turn some number of D6 additional undead of that type.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jason Sextro posted:

The best dying sounds are definitely in Treasures of the Savage Frontier

*pfffffft!*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiDz69EqlFk&t=20s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kacie posted:

Doesn't 1st ed D&D and AD&D have save vs. wand as well as save vs. spell, and a save vs. death?

Maybe the dragon has great save vs spell and lousy save vs. wand? Or is paralyze a vs. death?

I remember there being a lot of different kinds of save vs. stuff, and me wondering why they didn't simplify or condense some of them.