Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

achtungnight posted:

I disagree. Doing exactly this saved my character's and his party's life multiple times when we raided the notorious AD&D dungeon "Dragon Mountain".

There are in-game reasons too. My "Justice League" PoR characters mentioned in one of my previous posts on this thread also faced 16 or more Kobolds in random encounters multiple times thanks to their high stats, and casting Sleep was usually how they won at low levels. Sleep is truly this game's best 1st Level Spell. Sadly, it becomes useless quickly when you no longer regularly encounter monsters vulnerable to it- and in the rare cases at that point when you still encounter said monsters, you have better tools (like Fireball) for the same job.

sleep is always good at the low levels in any D&D game. it's insanely powerful for first level in general

i played the poo poo outta these gold box games but never finished any of them. i think pools of radiance was probably my favorite tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
ah ye olde d&D hit points. back when a house cat can one shot a poorly rolled L1 wizard. the early game was always kind of harsh in these