Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I remember an old story about a GM who had players who wanted to play vampires, so they made them level up to it, transforming from the various styles of undead up to vampire. Eventually, this naturally led to a flying vampire gang fight, like you'd expect it to. Except every attack drained levels. So as the vampires had their dogfight, characters that were struck transmuted back to wights and mummies and stuff and came raining down from the sky onto the countryside below.

Early D&D is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One of the whole reasons for 'trap builds' is that combat in CRPGs is usually a hard-gate to progression. If I'm playing Wasteland and I took a bunch of cool sounding skills but can't fight, I'm not going to get anywhere.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Randalor posted:

I'm just eagerly anticipating the moment when Rezen "finds" a chainsaw in Faerun and lets nature take its course.

Elminster brought it back from one of his dumb runs to drink beer with Ed Greenwood back on Earth and lost track of it because he is a trash wizard.

Elminster: The Worst.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pretending lovely holes and bugs in the system are intentional challenges that improve it is the core gameplay of Dungeons and Dragons in most editions, this is a faithful recreation.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I would love to know where level drain actually came from as a mechanic. I know it's technically better than death, but few game mechanics feel as spiteful as "lose 2 levels, no save, lol"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hobologist posted:

So the DM just goes "Nomad #67 attacks kobold #113 and misses. Kobold #12 attacks nomad #83 and hits for 2 damage. Kobold #130 is surrounded by other kobolds and can't move..." and the players are just sitting there saying "Wake me up in 10 minutes when it's our turn again."

This is a very optimistic estimate of how long it would be between turns.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

achtungnight posted:

Speaking of the Fatal & friends thread, I would appreciate a link if anyone has one. Thanks.

Edit- found it via bing, never mind.

If you are an RPG nerd, FATAL & Friends is a good time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PurpleXVI posted:

Level-draining monsters are a war crime.

Even with easy access to restoration, in pen and paper all the loving associated book-keeping with rolling levels back and forth is just something I'd never countenance. Even though I regularly run 2E AD&D games my house rule is that level drainers are instead (temporary) stat drainers. Because I'm not a sociopath.

That second bit is the part that never gets discussed. Leveling in D&D games is enough of a hassle without having to occasionally undo it!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Given we're all stuck in our homes waiting for the hellplague to pass, we'll be happy to read your updates!

I think I'd be going nuts without stuff like LPs in these times.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bard's Tale was the first RPG I ever played. Specifically Bard's Tale II.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Somehow I love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thank you for all your work over the years. It's been a pleasure reading it.