Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

:rip:

*checks pulse* He's fine—just unconscious.

Hey, isn't getting mistaken for a man Justine's gig?

Shut it, Lincoln. "HE" can have it.

Nice to see you back in action, Chokes. Although I'm disappointed you've given up on the DW3 run. I though Nina and Swindle had great chemistry. Granted, it was the kind of chemistry that gave us the term "minimum safe distance," but still.

Have you permanently abandoned the Paper Sorcerer run as well? The offer to play up to the point you were at still stands if you lost the save.

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

There’s nothing wrong with that section. Heather is commenting on Sternn being dead. :colbert:

Ah, you're right. Sorry.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

I really really wanted to put Trog in there alongside Hanover, but the core Wizardry squad is a package deal, and we wouldn’t have FFL2 representation otherwise.

Then where's our Paper Sorcerer representation? :colbert:

...Now that I think of it, I would have loved to see Willow in the healing role rather than Shanna.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

Unfortunately they're all sort of evil. Which meant they'd do a heel heel turn at the end.

Nah, they'd go along just to get back home.

You know, to the magic book they were trapped in.

...Actually, I see your point.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Pretty much all the Paper Sorcerer crew are Evil, as well, so they'd hitch a ride out of here at the first opportunity regardless of what state the world is in. The last thing I want is to have to fight Llewyn and Willow on top of the endgame bullshit.

What happens if the entire party is evil? Is just an automatic game over?

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Bad design, developers. Don't pull that crap.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Four colors isn't really enough unless you're just doing grayscale. The Apple 2 computers did much better (though still not great) with 6, but I understand that graphics programming on those was a bit of a nightmare (anything between 4 or 16 colors just doesn't fit neatly when you're working with an 8-bit word size).

That said, I'll admit that Commander Keen image wasn't too bad. Now I'm curious how much good CGA art is out there.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
1) Lizardman.

2) Have you considered rotating out some party members occasionally to shake things up? You'd have to edit their stats, of course, but once you're past the point where evil characters betray you you could easily replace someone with a lizardman or Paper Sorcerer character.

3) Lizardman.

4) Magic Missile and a lizardman (but mostly the lizardman) sounds like a good counter to Mirror Image.

5) Lizardman.

6) Any chance that when you clear out the slums for real the lizardman council will reward you for it again? With, say, some lizardmans?

7) Lizardman lizardman lizardman lizardman !#$%ING LIZARDMAN (you're right, it's working).

8) See also: lizardman.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Plus, do you really think it would be a good idea to introduce [Llewyn] to Sternn? :stare:

As long as I have time to make enough popcorn first, YES. :colbert:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

But yeah, we may want to check out Knock. And maybe book that spell ahead of time. Since we’ll need it for a library.

Ugh. Hey, mods, is it possible to get someone kicked out of their own thread? :rolleyes:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

Wow, that was one lizardman update! I'm glad that Chokes continues to lizardman us such lizardman content!

:raise:

Did we just turn "lizardman" into the new "smurf?"

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Yeah, but it's class dependent. If we want Giant Rezen then Enlarge is far superior, which it is. :colbert:

Rezen is enough of a handful as is. I doubt the others need any more of her.

Not that that will stop you, of course...

quote:

Also it still boggles my mind that you can start casting Enlarge at Level 2 but have to wait until 4 or so for Strength. :psyduck:

Isn't it levels 1 and 3? But regardless, yeah, D&D spells aren't always well-balanced.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Randalor posted:

Hey, that warty monster needed a goat to kill it. How many adventurers travel with a fully armed and operational battle goat?

Clearly you've never unleashed a flock of live chickens into a dungeon to spring the traps before.

Also: I notice the stupid newbie default avatar is back. What brought that on?

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

*smash cut to the Tomb of Horrors*

Or to the third Peter Jackson Hobbit movie. It worked for the dwarfs well enough.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Knock, knock. :c00lbert:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Don't worry. I've got... frog charisma. :ocelot::frogc00l:

For a split second my brain went "Sternn thinks he's Hypnotoad? Or does he just WISH he had that kind of charm?"

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

We also find a trapped cabinet that Sternn fails to disarm and nukes half our party with. Rezen blows it off its hinges with Knock in revenge. The doors, I mean. Not the party.

Casting Knock on the party wouldn't do anything. They're already unhinged.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Elfface posted:

My favourite spell trivia is that in 2e Knock actually did do damage to living creatures because it would 'open chests'.

Hmm... Now you've got me wondering what a Knock spell would do to a treasure chest mimic.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

For whatever reason, you get a free horse when you leave the city and already know how to ride it. It's unclear if it represents multiple horses in 2D, or if all six of your guys pile onto the back of a single horse.

...and what I want to know is, how did you wreck and sink the horses ON DRY LAND?!?

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Knowing early ed. D&D, there's probably a chart you roll on where the PCs actions have only a slight effect on the outcome. Or yes, they just flat-out expect you to actually run a combat with 200+ participants. OG D&D had a lot of BS like that.

For anyone who has 45 minutes to kill, the Spoiler Warning crew did an amusing one-shot analysis/play session of the original D&D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsVHINXxORU

And yes, it's hilariously bad.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

In other news, my offscreen DW3 run ended with Zoma accidentally impaling himself on Jaybird's spiked armor for the killshot. I assume Erika laughed herself stupid the entire way back. I know I did.

Alright, that's it. You are officially no longer allowed to play games without recording them for potential LP purposes. :colbert:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
It's amazing how well Sternn would fit in with the Paper Sorceror crew. If only "larcenous space captain" were one of the summon options...

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Hey, as long as the party's kept pointed at slightly bigger evils than themselves it kinda works out to them being the good guys, right?

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Truthkeeper posted:

The lizardmen are pretty much exactly the same (their lair is supposed to be on an island called Sauros Island, it's kind of hard to tell from the in-game art) are different as well, with different outcomes depending on if you freed Yarash's prisoners or not. If you go to Sauros before hitting the pyramid, the lizardmen are all hostile and set up ambushes as soon as you approach, you have to pick your way through being constantly jumped, but can find some decent treasure. The real reward is if you go after, since you learn the lizardmens' "special friend word", which thankfully doesn't involve a code wheel, and can use it to get them to back off. This leads to you being mobbed like celebrities by every lizardman and lizardwoman in the camp, you get invited to a feast in your honor, where the chief gives rewards to every party member who was present in the attack on Yarash, vastly outvaluing the treasure you'd get just from looting the place, along with medallions identifying you as freinds to the lizardmen that prevent any lizardman from attacking you unless you attack him first.

Lizardman lizardman lizardman lizardman -

drat it, it's happening again!

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Well, you know what they say:

lizardman

Et tu, Chokes? :mad:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Randalor posted:

Well that was certainly a... thing. Can... can we go back to the borderline functional, semi-compitent, quasi-heroes who try to conveniently ignore the sickly sweet smell of rotting corpses and that the overall skintone of the city has gone several shades deadergrayer?

No, we can't. Apparently there's an entire Youtube channel of such nonsense to plow through first: https://www.youtube.com/user/gobou0san/videos

The artist goes by "gobou" (no idea if that's his real name or not). I don't know what drugs he's on but I've got to admit the dude's got talent.

EDIT: For some reason I really like this Crypt of the Necrodancer-inspired one (right-click and put it on loop): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ-L9L7q4EU

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 24, 2020

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Truthkeeper posted:

Oddly, the sound effects are actually worse. We weren't exactly missing out.

I could see the music getting old fast as well. They might have done better to just have a short bit of music at the start of an area or battle to set the mood and then shut up.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Randalor posted:

I can't wait for the sudden but inevitable betrayal of the city by Sternn and co.

Hey, we already left them to get eaten by zombies! What more do you want from me?

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Randalor posted:

theres a 75% chance she'll never see them again except as a "Missing Person" poster.

I can just see it now - after an especially long trip the party makes it back to find their pictures on milk cartons. Naturally, Sternn sues the dairy company for using his likeness without permission.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

docbeard posted:

Or better yet they try to claim the reward for finding the missing adventurers.

Embrace the healing power of "and."

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

It is absolutely a Monty Python callback and I’m surprised it took this long for someone to comment on it, let alone figure out the reference.

I might have missed that episode, but if you'd gone with "the larch" instead I'd have gotten it immediately.

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 3, 2020

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Their wight buddies, of course, still level drain.

This game has too much toxic wightness.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Randalor posted:

Actually, I'm surprised Chokes didn't have the specter as an undead Bob Barker telling Rezen she was the next contestant on The Price is Wight before she turned the dial and looked back at the party.

With all the zombies I was half-expecting a Thriller parody myself.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

NewMars posted:

Why not just call them wighty whackers?

We can have more than one name for them. It's not a black-or-wight issue.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

“...so let’s put some ghouls in just to be safe.”

drat it, that's just not wight.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Incidentally, I think we should take note of the fact that Chokes has neither joined in with nor played off of the wight puns we've been making.

Chokes, is this heroic restraint on your part? Or are you just not feeling alwight?

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 11, 2020

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
I remember one scene in Champions of Krynn where you had to pursue the big bad draconian up several floors of stairs with multiple waves of enemies intercepting you as you ascended. I went back to a safe area to recover my spells after each fight before resuming the "chase." Despite taking over a day to reach the top I was still only seconds behind him. I must have been chasing the most geriatric bad guy ever.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Just a quick bump to let you guys know an update should be coming around Friday or so

No problem, we can wight.

...Okay, I admit that one was stretching it.

EDIT: Imagine it being said with a cliche Australian accent, I guess.

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 20, 2020

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Okay - I admit to my own share of guilt here, but for the love of God, Chokes, post a new update already so we can bury the undead puns and move on to new torments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Anias posted:

Are you feeling all wight?

I already did that one. Even the puns themselves are refusing to stay dead!