Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

So that thing about your elf caster topping out at 9? Yeah, that's because non-humans have level caps in these editions. Why? Because gently caress you, that's why. I guess there needed to be some incentive to playing a human.

As for multiclassing, only non-humans can do it, and the way it works (assuming those particular rules remained the same between this edition and the one I know) is that experience is divided up between your classes evenly, and they grow at their own rate. So if you're a fighter/magic-user, and you do something that gives you 500 XP, you don't get 500 XP as a character. Your fighter half gets 250, and your mage half gets 250. And when you beat on enough stuff that your single-class fighter buddy has 10k XP and is comfortably level 4, you'll have 5k XP in Fighter and 5k in Magic-User, making you a level 3 Fighter/2 Magic-User.

But like I said, only non-humans can multi-class. If you're human, instead you dual-class, which is needlessly complicated, kind of stupid, and something Chokes may want to cover when we get to the point where it's relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The reason Magic Missile gets more missiles instead of bigger missiles is because you don't have to send them all at the same target in tabletop. You can spread them around if you want. I think the only D&D PC game that lets you do this is Temple of Elemental Evil, and that one has its own problems in terms of bugs and interface. Plus the fact that it's a module written for a different ruleset ported straight across, so if you build a character that uses a weapon type that didn't exist, gently caress you. If you run into an enemy that got its intended challenge level lowered, count yourself lucky, because if you run into something that got its intended challenge level raised, gently caress you.

Knock is one of those spells that's really kind of a problem in D&D, because one of the major things for Rogues is picking locks, and here's a wizard that gets one of your major class features as a regular loving spell. It's not even high level! It's a second-level spell that wizards get at level three! And of course there aren't any locks that are immune to magic, but there are locks that are immune to being picked so here comes the wizard to save the day. I guess the saving grace of rogues is supposed to be that they don't have to noisily spend a resource to pick a lock.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Yeah, the fact that "technical limitations" and "the concept of balancing these things was in its infancy" played a big part in why these games were brutal tends to get overlooked a lot. And that's overlooking bits where developers ambitions were not matched by their abilities.

A bit from a series about the Elder Scrolls games sums this up pretty well.

The article I just linked posted:

1.) Language skills: One of the most heartbreaking things about CRPGs of this era is what I like to call the Interesting Choice Phenomenon. It's where you're given a choice of which skills to focus on, and you scroll down to see something like, “Guns, Medicine, Magic, Erotic Dancing.” And of course, you do a double-take. “Erotic Dancing? See, stupid modern games with their narrow focus and combat emphasis and committee design would never let me create an Erotic Dancing Gladiator! This is why I roll DOSBox, baby!” So you sink all your points into the skill, you set out with Cliveander, Duke of Badonk, and of course you get wiped by all the mandatory emphasized combats the game narrowly focuses on. You ragequit before you even get to a tavern and find out the developers straight-up forgot to include any use of the Erotic Dancing skill in the game whatsoever, and if you think I'm exaggerating, you haven't played enough old CRPGs.

When you combine this era of CRPG games with the already pretty unforgiving D&D, you see what winds up happening.

Also on a tangent, I would like to say: if you make me roll percentile dice when for something with a 50/50 chance, gently caress you. Let me flip a god drat coin, rear end in a top hat!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

That does sound pretty crap, but "hey wizard, hold all the money and little things since you're only chucking darts or spells which only takes one hand" sounds viable.

I guess the concept of "stick straps on it, make it a backpack" or "have a Backpack-esque gear slot" weren't really things you could do, depending on if you want an in game or real life explanation.