Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
If you get close enough to the auction without being spotted, isn't your 'reward' just so see some other rear end in a top hat portal in and steal the wand for himself? It's been a few years since I played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Do trolls feel pain? :gonk:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I think Cadorna's appearance is different in the Amiga version compared to the others. The PC version has him younger and with a beard IIRC.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
After the jump between the Icewind Dale games I’m glad they didn’t switch systems for Baldur’s Gate in mid series tbh

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Hang in there, Chokes!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Knock always works, and once something's open, it stays open until you leave the map. Not... really sure how that works, but whatever.

Wait a minute, we know this one.

quote:

Uh.
Didn't... didn't we just come through here?
Yup.
But you ripped down the entire wall! What happened?
I put it back.
...What? How? WHY?
Mama Fiste always said t'pick up after myself.
Hanover's very tidy!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

One of the whole reasons for 'trap builds' is that combat in CRPGs is usually a hard-gate to progression. If I'm playing Wasteland and I took a bunch of cool sounding skills but can't fight, I'm not going to get anywhere.

It's even better in Wasteland, where half of the combat skills are themselves traps!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Don't they point you towards the graveyard right off the bat as well?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

For the more varied dragons, Steel Dragons also tend to assume humanoid form and promptly become prominent capitalists and bankers most of the time.

but they said metallic dragons were good ones :confused:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I read somewhere that the producers of Let's Make a Deal actually did run into the issue of unlucky contestants wanting to keep the goats they had "won," costing the show a fair bit of money.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

achtungnight posted:

Fun Trivia- this game was the unofficial sequel to a D&D novel called Azure Bonds by Jeff Grubb & Kate Novak. The heroine- Alias, the chick on the game title screen- wakes up with a similar issue of weird tats on her arm. There’s also a weird lizard dude following her, but we don’t have that issue. I’ll point out book similarities as we go. It’s a decent novel, a trilogy actually, if anyone wants to check it out. The two follow up books, The Wyvern’s Spur & Song of the Saurials, don’t have any relevance to this or future games.

Alias wakes up in the same city as the game party, Tilverton in Cormyr. She sees a local priest about her tattoos, with similar results. At least she wakes up with gear, impracticality of the armor aside (the book says it has magical protection for the chest target a la Batman).

IIRC from when Xenocides was LPing the series, the authors actually had written Alias with proper body armor, then had to go back and do rewrites when they finally saw the official artwork.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Just don't read the Baldur's Gate books.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Wasn't Minor Globe of Invulnerability also usable as crowd control? Like, you'd cast it on an enemy and they'd be effectively out of combat until it wore off? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

I'm still trying to figure out what an Otyugh is supposed to resemble exactly. Some kind of hydra-like sea creature, but on land? I guess?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

KataraniSword posted:

Both Baldur's Gate and Athkatla (the main hub-city in BG2) have non-trivial sewer systems, though they're pretty cramped and confined even for dungeons in those games, certainly not the spacious catacombs of this game.

I just started replaying the games on the PS4 version and after Firewine Ruins I will never complain about a sewer level again.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
You could always play the remake?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

DGM_2 posted:

:raise:

Got an issue with the site?

Read the stickies.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Reiska posted:

Silver Blades undoubtedly suffers some from being more linear and less interesting than the titles that preceded it, but SSI was helpless to do anything about the game's actual biggest flaw, which were the AD&D rules themselves, to the point where I feel like if you took these four games and remade them with a more modern D&D edition's ruleset but all other factors remaining unchanged, you'd still end up with the last two games looking much better than they did under 1e.

I know there've been some rumblings about the studio that did the Bard's Tale and Wasteland remasters possibly doing the Gold Box games next. Maybe we'll get to see how that pans out!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

One of my favorite non-complete LPs on the forums was one poster trying to do the early Bard's Tale meat grinder by replacing each dead character with a fresh one suggested by the thread. I am reasonably certain they went 30 pages deep and didn't even make it to the samurai statue.

Isn't that basically what this Let's Play did?

e: :argh:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
The thing with Bard's Tale is that you can step out the door of the Adventurer's Guild and immediately run into a group of 8 of these fuckers:

These guys are, I'm pretty sure, a tier higher than the Nomads with the same sprite that you encounter in the first dungeon. If you run into a single Barbarian, it will take a level-1 team two rounds of sustained beating to bring him down. During that period, he can easily one-shot two of your guys.

Know another fun detail of Bard's Tale? Your team doesn't focus fire. Tell all your crew to attack a stack of 8 Barbarians and they may very well each pick a separate one to ineffectually chip away at.

An encounter with 8 Barbarians is basically the game saying "Can you run? No? Time to reload, sucker!"

For some reason they're absent from the 2018 remake.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Except nomads will ruin your poo poo at level 1, too.

Basically you're just praying you run into enough kobolds, gnomes, and conjurers to level up before you hit a Barbarian/Dwarf/Nomad horde that will TPW.

joke's on you, the conjurer got to move first and now :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
alec holland