Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

gently caress yes-

when I was a kid I got Curse of the Azure Bonds at Computer Renaissance, and it came with the full hint book- thing was thick, had all the maps and character build tips, and if you were willing to look up stats, it was comprehensive enough that you could use it to run an entire campaign at the tabletop

it took me about three years to complete Azure Bonds, in glorious 4-color CGA, on a computer that didn't meet the minimum requirements as it only had an 8088 and not a fancy 286- one sitting would see about two or three battles, since it displayed at about 30 seconds/frame. Woe betide when encountering slingers, whole chapters of books could be read in the time it took for them all to fire pellets across the screen

later as a teen I got a CD-ROM that had all of 'em on it, tho I never finished the FR quadrology because I ended up sinking tons of hours into FRUA. These are delightful little games, janky as hell but not especially so compared to their contemporaries, and I'm stoked to see someone muddling through em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

DGM_2 posted:

Bad design, developers. Don't pull that crap.

in 1988, it's the players' fault!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Truthkeeper posted:

Ooh, a full Realms Gold Box LP, ambitious! I played the PC version, so I'm still kind of in shock how much better this version looks. On the other hand, that font is truly loving atrocious.

bein a kid and looking at computer game boxes from the late 80s was like

Amiga Version:

PC Version:

on the family 8088 in CGA:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Jason Sextro posted:

:lol: CGA was so bizarrely horrid, I always wonder how they decided on eye-searing pink and turquoise as the two colours to use

don't wanna derail this too hard into obsolete tech thread territory, but I find this really fascinating as someone who grew up with an old IBM Clone:

it's because you can theoretically make any color out of CMYK, and it'll fuzz properly on a standard TV set to create the illusion of more colors, if you bother to code your program to take advantage of the composite fuzzing-

but IBMs and clones didn't generally have the composite-out that was needed for a normal TV- IBMs weren't made for gaming, especially at first- so instead you had to hook it up to a computer CRT, which wanted RGB inputs and the whole thing looks like a four color mess when you're trying to display graphics

RGB on the left, composite on the right- hooking one of these up to a TV would be atrocious if you wanted to use it for word processing

not all CGA games would look good on composite-out, either, the devs would have had to write code specifically for that use case, and they usually didn't bother. Some hobbyists have made fan patches for games, though, that show off what a CGA adapter connected to composite-out is capable of:

original on an RGB CRT:

2016 patch on a composite television:

both of those only contain data for four colors, the second uses pixel interference creatively to show the illusion of up to 1024 colors, using tricks you might be more familar with in terms of LCD subpixel smoothing stuff (but like... the opposite, lol)

at a certain point, CGA compatibility was an afterthought, so practically nobody was taking the time to make them look good at all. Especially since vanishingly few people would be hooking their relatively expensive IBM-Compatible to a standard TV when you could get sharper pixels on a RGB CRT

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 9, 2019

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I didn't play FR at tabletop until.. last year? But I had the 3e FR book and it was neat to see the gold box events and their aftermath referenced in there

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

AtomikKrab posted:

That's pretty metal. And the troll just stands there and lets the giant eat it?

I'm guessing that's part of the challenge

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

10-11 is the most common roll on a 3d6 so yeah it's the average

remember Faerun is full of complete dipshits tho

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

In 4e, it's I think -5 to hit?

3e (and 4e) were both full of these modifiers that were impossible to remember (is it -5, or -3, or 50/50 miss, etc) and I can't imagine going back from 5e's disadvantage system (which is roughly a -4 skew) let alone the rougher mechanics from AD&D

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

MechaCrash posted:

Also on a tangent, I would like to say: if you make me roll percentile dice when for something with a 50/50 chance, gently caress you. Let me flip a god drat coin, rear end in a top hat!

yeah in practice you'd just call odd or even

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I never thought about the music, I originally played these on an 8088 with no sound card

I remember the PC speaker effects being- well 'good' isn't the word so much as 'not horrible' and that's all you could expect really

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

achtungnight posted:

Let's not forget silver dragons are also the ones who turn into beautiful women attracted to player races. Although I personally wouldn't mind a relationship with a copper, bronze, or gold either. Nor a brass, long as they were fun to chat with and not exasperating. Common interests would probably help with that.

Heck, dating a good dragon is probably cool no matter what type of dragon they are.

found the weak spot of the party being manipulated into risking everything for a dragon's idea of the greater good

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

You sure I read on it, and it says they are neutral tending towards good.

yeah but that's what The Economist always says

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

DGM_2 posted:

Okay - I admit to my own share of guilt here, but for the love of God, Chokes, post a new update already so we can bury the undead puns and move on to new torments.

if we dont move on to new torments soon, i'm gonna have to introduce my own: pictures of local yokels here in kansas wearing billowing cloths on their backs

you heard me right- i'm threatening plains cape torment

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

DGM_2 posted:

The worst part is knowing that I'm the one who enabled you.

:ocelot: :kiddo:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Jazzimus Prime posted:

You would take your turn and do something else for 30 minutes, then return to the C-64 to see yet another Quickling was still walking back and forth with 50-something movement points left.

lol that sounds like every encounter in Azure Bonds when I played it as a kid on an 8088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

Almost everything to do with drow in artwork makes me really uncomfortable. It's like the uncanny valley of questionable racism.

how exactly is that book like the san joaquin