Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

So there was a version that looked worse than the PC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I just hope you can survive the boredom gauntlet of Secret of the Silver Blades so you can get to the absolute insanity of Pools of Darkness.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

achtungnight posted:

I want to go on record to say SSB never bored me. But then I was an adolescent last I played it.

Hell, same. When I was an adolescent, that game was hard as hell. Nowadays I just cheese it to get through it as quickly as possible. I don't want to start talking spoilers so I'll just stop here.

This is great so far, though - SSI's commitment to including as much First Edition weirdness as possible in PoR actually makes it a good candidate for unintentional comedy.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I think the most it can get is 9 though, in a 3x3 grid? I mean 9 low-level monsters with a single first-level spell is nothing to sneeze at, by any means.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Reiska posted:

Oh man, I was just looking through the LP archive about two weeks ago wondering if someone had ever LPed these games because I've been playing through them (on PC unfortunately, I'm too attached to Gold Box Companion) and I was very sad that no one had.

And now you are, this thread literally made my day, thanks. :)

(By the way, I fell into lurking on your FFL1 thread but I have to say: your rendition of Elly was absolutely perfect to what I was imagining when I made the suggestion. ^_^ )

Yeah the last person I saw to do it gave up partway during Secret of the Silver Blades. Also, high-five Gold Box Companion buddy! That has some amazingly fun capabilities for game-breaking.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Narsham posted:

I tried revisiting the Gold Box series a few years back and found myself wondering how I ever had the patience.

This is outside the scope of this series but I ask myself this every time I play Dark Queen of Krynn, which to me is a worse slog than Secret or Pools combined

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

At least during the dry run the game had the decency to give me a halberd I could give to Hanover for a while. WTF am I supposed to do with a Glaive? :mad:

you hold out for a Bec de Corbin, the true king of polearms

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Yeah some of those sprites look more at home in Gateway to the Savage Frontier, it's pretty slick.

I did, however, enjoy seeing how many of those monster pictures were lifted straight from the 1st edition Monstrous Manual, that was always amusing to me.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

:lol: CGA was so bizarrely horrid, I always wonder how they decided on eye-searing pink and turquoise as the two colours to use

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

It's not just the rigid adherence to the sadism of AD&D First Edition that makes this game so punishing. If you climb down that well with anyone other than a thief, there's an almost guaranteed chance they'll fall and die (as in, haul them back to the temple for a Raise Dead spell). Unless I've imagined the whole thing I'm pretty sure that's happened to me.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Alpha3KV posted:

I'm pretty sure the scroll with restoration spells is the one you got from the basilisk fight. The game designers showed some occasional minor mercy by often having scrolls like that in areas with problematic undead. I think the spell also brings the character to the minimum experience for their restored level. If you can get the mad man to town alive, he has chances of attacking citizens and therefor making you either fight or flee from the city guards. It definitely makes getting around there a pain.

Yeah this game actually does have multiple opportunities to stockpile Restoration scrolls, thankfully. There is one area in which they elected not to be wildly sadistic.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

And that’s really good because it could’ve made the game Early Bards Tale levels of bad.

There was a point where I had more than I could use, legitimately. I suspect Bard's Tale was on their minds at least a little in regards to how they could make this slightly more fair.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

the Buck Rogers Gold Box games are also really bad for trap skills, which is really too bad because those games are great. There really was some good use you could get out of that engine, as old as it was by the end.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

the official clue book also implies you should take on Sokol Keep right after the slums too, no wonder I always found it so wretchedly miserable

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Seyser Koze posted:

Don't they point you towards the graveyard right off the bat as well?

Nah, that one comes right before the gate which seems to be the right time.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

Turning Undead was deemphasized in 3ed but in previous editions it was baller

The number is the number on a d20 that you have to roll to get the undead to turn. T is an autoturn and D is just outright destruction.

Since the level cap for clerics is 6, this isn't all that much use when you're fighting the powerful undead from later in the game.

turning undead was definitely baller in the Dragonlance Gold Box games, I always made my cleric worship Majere for its turning bonus.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

The best dying sounds are definitely in Treasures of the Savage Frontier

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Chokes has to survive the tedium of SSB first.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

n'thing the "shamelessly cheat like a madman" votes here. PoD doesn't play fair, neither should you.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Centaurs and thri-kreen both appear later in the series, although the former not often.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Slaan posted:

Do you really need spell casters though? I mean, amulet of missiles is all you need

amulet of missiles pales in comparison to some nuclear bomb-esque spells that come up in the sequels. It's actually great for Radiance, pretty good for Curse, but falls behind in the damage races that the later games become.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Luckily they're not generally easy to run into (off the top of my head I can't remember)

Speaking of obscure encounters, centaurs in Curse! They're in the wilderness between the Standing Stones and Essembra, but I honestly don't recall if you can fight them or not (I want to say yes but I honestly don't remember). I think that's the only place in the game they show up though.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

You forgot to mention that the other part of that treasure cache is a long sword +5.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

At least he didn't say he enjoyed Eye of the Beholder... That would be a serious red flag.

the first two were great imo

but lol at trying to use the wand on the end boss

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Alpha3KV posted:

Other games do have bar brawls, but not nearly as big and tough as those in the first. In CAB they're against about 6 of the generic fighters found in overworld encounters, but still kind of annoying since they're also outdoors. In Gateway to the Savage Frontier, the bars literally only give you the option to fight or leave. No drinks or tavern tales to hear. Those fights are against 3 or 4 weak enemies, thus very easy and worth little experience.

the Gateway ones confuse me - in Curse, the tavern fights are there to put you over the top for an extra level if you transferred characters from Pool, so it kind of makes sense but I have no idea what the purpose was in Gateway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

There really just isn't a lot of interesting content in Silver to begin with, so there's no need to force it.