Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
God I played the gently caress out of PoR when it was new, but I only really remember the weird spraddle-leg sprites in combat, trying to camp like twenty times in a row (and being constanly interrupted by monsters), and how a town was actually called "Phlan", like, for serious. I think I played Azure Bonds too, but only because of the link to the novel which I loved.

I bailed on the series later as it started to feel kinda samey. It didn't help that my PC version didn't have nearly as nice graphics as the Amiga versions here, and I think later games might have demanded more from my low-end junker comp (that I didn't upgrade for years). I'm looking forward to seeing the stuff I missed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I didn't mention in my last post because it hadn't come up yet, but "$NAME SWEEPS...." is one of the only other things I remember from when I played these on my 486 DX/50 or whatever the hell I had then.

I always loved seeing that, not only for the mental image of a zweihander scything through multiple bipedal rat torsos, but because I usually had set my stats to max in character creation so I was constantly surrounded by acres of bipedal rat torsos in any random encounter. Having each fighter essentially have an infinite-charge burst o' death for the little fuckers really cut down on the tedium (and TPKs).

Of course, I could have just not put all 18s (and /00..or 19? in some cases? it's been a while) for my beginning stats, but to paraphrase a very wise man - if a computer asks if you are a god, you say "yes"!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
There's a line in Aliens where Ripley asks, "Did IQs drop sharply while I was away?".

Maybe Sternn didn't get smarter, maybe everybody else just got more stupid!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
"Sup?"
"Hay."