Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

"Hobocop" might be my favorite part of those pictures. This game will either be really good or really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It will be good. :colbert:

Please be good. :ohdear:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I've had this on my wishlist for awhile and I'm pleased it's both close to release and way more batshit then I originally thought!

I don't know what half the attributes you can boost are suggesting so I'll probably just pick at random.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really hope this is as good as it looks.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
This blog post is about different skill checks and their consequences:

https://zaumstudio.com/2016/10/06/active-skill-checks/

TLDR: Health bar and Morale bar can take hits from failed highlighted "White checks" but failed "Red checks" have more lasting consequences in the game world. Dialogue plays kinda like a turn-based combat encounter. Expect to see a lot of fun consequences from your failures.

My first character will gently caress up every choice he comes across, to simulate real life. After that I will try a competent detective. Or a paranormal investigator or something. Choices, choices.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Caidin posted:

I've had this on my wishlist for awhile and I'm pleased it's both close to release and way more batshit then I originally thought!

I don't know what half the attributes you can boost are suggesting so I'll probably just pick at random.

The blog posts linked in the op go through all the attributes if you're interested in finding out what they do, though I do respect embracing chaos and picking at random.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Here is a sneak peek at the game world, the city of Revachol and the coastal area of Martinaise where the happenings happen. You are a cop from precinct 41.

https://zaumstudio.com/2016/01/25/worldbuilding/

This is a preview video from a year ago, showing some of the gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEnP8Kq37XE

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

SlightlyMad posted:

Here is a sneak peek at the game world, the city of Revachol and the coastal area of Martinaise where the happenings happen. You are a cop from precinct 41.

https://zaumstudio.com/2016/01/25/worldbuilding/

This is a preview video from a year ago, showing some of the gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEnP8Kq37XE

the video looks great. i love the way the personalities make it feel like you are in a party of 1, and the 1 member is a schizophrenic

my one concern as always with rpgs is that there will be some skills that get used a lot more then others. always a few trap skills that get used only a few times

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

http://zaumstudio.com/2017/01/19/introducing-metric-arguably-worlds-simplest-role-playing-system/

quote:

The 24 Skills you have cover every action under the sun. There is no difference between dialogue and combat. Just roll two six sided dice and add however much you have in the Skill that represents what you’re up to. Want to hit something, add Hand / Eye Coordination. Want to fall in love, add Electrochemistry. The sum must be higher than the task’s difficulty. A normal task takes 10 or above to complete. Some rolls are handled behind the scenes, these are called Passive. Others are performed by the player, these are called Active.

That’s it. It took us fifteen years, five designers and a handful of dedicated players to come up with it. It’s the simplest role playing system our minds could muster – with the maximum amount of depth and tension hidden in the folds. We call it Metric.

:stare:

I know the actual game development probably doesn't go back that far but it's kind of crazy hearing how much they've thought all these systems through. Really hoping it works out, right now I think the game being buggy as poo poo is the main thing that can potentially stand in its way.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
These guys seemed to have put their hearts and souls into this game. With this and outer worlds, october's gonna be a good time

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Oh man I was wondering when this was coming out. I saw some stuff about it a year ago thyen lost track cause I couldn't remember the name.

So many loving games in q3 and 4 goddamn.

SlightlyMad posted:

Well, Baba Is You is simply a great game, whether you're into puzzle games generally or not. Definitely worth checking out. There is a thread for Baba Is You around here somewhere. Edit:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884585

The number one thing I can say about Baba is You is got me to think so weirdly/hard/abstractly it triggered synesthesia. Which like I've gotten from trances, exhaustion and drugs before, but Baba is You got it to happen through concentration. It was weird.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Paging mr. Hempuli:

I caved in (heh) and started a thread for Noita since some people had not heard about it before and it releases today!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899511

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Quote: "DISCO ELYSIUM IS A COLOSSAL GAME"

60+ hours of continuous playtime for a single playthrough if you're a completionist player, 30 hours if you're rushing it. Needs playing three times over to see most of the game. The world is about the size of Planescape: Torment, but 5 times denser in content than other RPGs. All characters have partial VO.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/632470/announcements/detail/1600390507851601404

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
I know I really should moderate my expectations for this game but I'm seriously in a Fox Mulder state of mind here, I want to believe. Something about everything we've seen and heard so far just feels right in a way Tides of Numenera never quite managed.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm hoping this is the sleeper hit of the year honestly. There's game I'm looking forward to more, but since the Kickstarter bubble has kinda died i want a good game to keep isometric style RPGs alive.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Davincie posted:

the video looks great. i love the way the personalities make it feel like you are in a party of 1, and the 1 member is a schizophrenic

my one concern as always with rpgs is that there will be some skills that get used a lot more then others. always a few trap skills that get used only a few times

The least used skill has about 50 uses in the game, the more frequently used skills have several hundred. Source: Devblog.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
wrong thread

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 25, 2019

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

SlightlyMad posted:

The least used skill has about 50 uses in the game, the more frequently used skills have several hundred. Source: Devblog.

Kinda curious what the least used skill is since that's quite a difference from the most common ones. Maybe the Espirit de Corp one that lets you cut away to see what your colleagues are up to?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

probably a Physique one

quote:

Physique skills are also the most silent of the bunch. They don’t speak as often as INT for example. But the times your body does speak to you hold more weight.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I'd guess it's Esprit the Corps. It's supposed to give you extra scenes/story from other characters' pov, so there can't be that many of those.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Thinking of the question "What kind of cop are you?"; I came up with a thought exercise that might be fun to do, and maybe help us get familiar with the Metric system.
The idea is to pick a character from a book/movie/play/etc. that you really like, or just want to emulate in the game, and create a sheet for it.
Pick a famous cop or detective, such as Sherlock Holmes - Elementary version. Or the friendly neighborhood Spiderman. Maybe Macbeth? Or how about Lorraine Broughton (Atomic Blonde)?

I picked Lew Archer, one of the classic hardboiled private detectives.

This is my subjective read of the character (If you think you have a better one then :justpost:)
I used High/Fair/Poor to describe the skill levels, but you can do w/e.

Psyche
pre:
	Volition		High
	Inland Empire		Poor
	Empathy			High
	Authority		Fair
	Suggestion		Fair
	ESPRIT DE CORPS		?
Motorics
pre:
	Hand/Eye Coordination	High
	Reaction Speed		Fair
	Perception		High
	Savoir Faire		Poor
	Composure		High
	Interfacing		?
Intellect
pre:
	Logic			High
	Rhetoric		Poor
	Encyclopedia		Poor
	Drama			Fair
	Conceptualization	Fair
	Visual Calculus		Fair
Physique
pre:
	Physical Instrument	Fair
	Electrochemistry	Poor
	Endurance		Fair
	Half Light		Poor
	Pain Threshold		High
	Shivers			Fair
He'll get sapped, but that won't stop him for long.
Prefers to not carry a gun whenever possible, but is an excellent shot.
Empathic, but will often be critical of people's appearance.
Knows the ins and outs of his profession, but he isn't a walking encyclopedia.
Can understand addicts, but can control his own urges.
Isn't beyond lying to people to get information.
Won't be bought or suffer corruption.
Has an excellent memory for clues and facts.

Well, that's Archer. Hope you enjoyed my :words:

itry fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 26, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I already broadly covered Columbo, but sure I'll elaborate on what I would think his build would be.

pre:
Volition		High
Inland Empire		Poor
Empathy			High
Authority		Fair/Slightly Poor
Suggestion		High
Espirit De Corps        Poor
pre:
Hand/Eye Coordination	Fair
Reaction Speed		Fair
Perception		High
Savoir Faire		Poor
Composure		High
Interfacing		Poor 
pre:
Logic			Fair
Rhetoric		Poor
Encyclopedia		Fair
Drama			Fair
Conceptualization	Poor
Visual Calculus		High 
pre:
Physical Instrument	Poor
Electrochemistry	Poor
Endurance		Fair
Half Light		Poor
Pain Threshold		Fair
Shivers			Fair

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
^ I like these.

All this homicide investigation is soooo last season, what IS that corpse wearing? Such poor taste in accessories.

Hmm. What would a catwalking, drug-snorting Fashion Police be?

Composure - High, the most essential skill for Fashion Cop.
Conceptualization - High, for art and style appreciation.
Electrochemistry - High, for snorting various chemicals.
Endurance - High, for surviving the snorting of various chemicals.
Perception - Fair
Savoir Faire - Fair
Authority - High
Suggestion - High

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

I think it would be fun to pump lots of points into Electrochemistry, Shivers, inland Island, Interfacing, H/E and Encylopedia. Just a drug-addled paranoiac crumpling under a dozen different visions, psychic intuitions and bizarre facts.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I'm gonna make a Dale Cooper for sure

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

This game looks extremely loving sick and I can't wait to make my cop be the least coppy cop that ever copped.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Southpaugh posted:

This game looks extremely loving sick and I can't wait to make my cop be the least coppy cop that ever copped.

:hmmyes:

It's hard to keep calm and wait for what looks like the second coming of RNGesus, but maybe, just maybe the game will be worth the wait and as good as the developers say. If it turns out not fun to play for some reason, I will still complete it to see where it goes with all that dialogue they have written. But those devblog entries, ooff. I like the writing. It goes places.

In the game's discord the devs have answered such questions as: Rustin Cohle (True Detective) type of cop is a plausible option and even more so a Zizek cop. Not that those have served as direct influences, just something someone asked.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

SlightlyMad posted:

:hmmyes:

It's hard to keep calm and wait for what looks like the second coming of RNGesus, but maybe, just maybe the game will be worth the wait and as good as the developers say. If it turns out not fun to play for some reason, I will still complete it to see where it goes with all that dialogue they have written. But those devblog entries, ooff. I like the writing. It goes places.

In the game's discord the devs have answered such questions as: Rustin Cohle (True Detective) type of cop is a plausible option and even more so a Zizek cop. Not that those have served as direct influences, just something someone asked.

actually, I think Žižek was a direct inspiration. I've definitely read a quote from I think one of the writers were they definitely mentioned Hegel and Zizek. It's pretty fuckin' rad to see a game with some actually interesting inspirations.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Oh, interesting. I knew your cop could get philosophical with the right skill combo, but I didn't know which philosophers inspired them. You can apparently also play as a dumb, ignorant character who does not notice clues or details. A meathead who punches his way to victory (or loss). I wonder how many ways the 24 skills and the thought cabinet will interact with each other? They said it would be unlikely for any player to exhaust the possible combinations of content in the game. Challenge accepted.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

UrbicaMortis posted:

I think it would be fun to pump lots of points into Electrochemistry, Shivers, inland Island, Interfacing, H/E and Encylopedia. Just a drug-addled paranoiac crumpling under a dozen different visions, psychic intuitions and bizarre facts.

You don't play the game - the game plays you. :hmmyes:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

In theory you can just yell at everyone until they crack.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
What does the Inland Empire stat represent? I'm not a native speaker. It's apparently a metropolitan area in the US and also a David Lynch movie. Can't figure out more than that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's here

https://zaumstudio.com/2018/03/13/meet-the-skills-psyche/

quote:

It turns inanimate objects animate and lets you have conversations with your gun, the corpse of the deceased – maybe even one of your items of clothing. The information it provides may prove right… in retrospect.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.

lordfrikk posted:

What does the Inland Empire stat represent? I'm not a native speaker. It's apparently a metropolitan area in the US and also a David Lynch movie. Can't figure out more than that.

Its referring to the Lynch movie (obliquely, its more accurately referring to Agent Cooper's detective style in Twin Peaks, a different Lynch property)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan......

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
someone stat up The Dude. I fully intend to blindly stumble my way through this game.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Already linked, but at the essentials it's your imagination informing your gut instincts instead of experience or logic. Your flights of fancy can just as easily lead you to mystery-relevant points of interest (before standard investigation would, if ever) as they can lead you on wild goose chases.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Terper posted:

FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan......
"Ah Inland Empire, that was an interesting movie, wasn't it Zach?"

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I want this game now :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Impermanent posted:

someone stat up The Dude. I fully intend to blindly stumble my way through this game.

I tried to think of what The Dude would be like, here's my attempt.

Drama: High, for singing karaoke and being dramatic.
Electrochemistry: High, for substance use.
Endurance: High, enduring those substances.
Conceptualization: High, to appreciate a good rug.
Savoir Faire: Fair, for dancing and bowling (not sure if there are bowling alleys in game).

Or maybe everything should be low, for bumbling through the game? Hmm. This build might be too competent.