Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
if this game is Bad i'm going to be Mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
What if the game is Bad?
What if the game is Really Good?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Thank you for all the answers re: Inland Empire. I haven't seen the movie but I've seen 2.5 seasons of Twin Peaks and some of his other movies so just imagining myself as Dale Cooper makes a lot of sense to me.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
For inspiration in terms of detective stuff, the dev team are fans of The Shield, The Wire, True Detective, Twin Peaks, Sherlock Holmes and also Dashiell Hammett's detective stories to name a few. Source: Disco(rd) Elysium, from ZA/UM community manager.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I only found out this exists yesterday and I'm explosively excited about it. I want this game to sit on my face all day long.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Southpaugh posted:

I only found out this exists yesterday and I'm explosively excited about it. I want this game to sit on my face all day long.

This game supports VR?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
looking through the interviews done on this game I kinda want to know how the lead writer is alive given the amount of coke he's been doing.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Writers on speed is the best base for a good RPG.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Worked for Morrowind

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Detective Buttfuck posted:

Worked for Morrowind

Was that speed or LSD and sleep deprivation?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

chaosapiant posted:

Was that speed or LSD and sleep deprivation?

Yes.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
While I can't disprove that he's ever written under those influences, I don't know that there's any first-hand source anywhere that actually claims as fact Michael Kirkbride having taken mushrooms/LSD to write for The Elder Scrolls. There was like, an anonymous rumor on 4chan that used an image from a music video and claimed it was a picture taken by Todd Howard of Mike after locking himself in on a drug-fuelled bender.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hogama posted:

While I can't disprove that he's ever written under those influences, I don't know that there's any first-hand source anywhere that actually claims as fact Michael Kirkbride having taken mushrooms/LSD to write for The Elder Scrolls. There was like, an anonymous rumor on 4chan that used an image from a music video and claimed it was a picture taken by Todd Howard of Mike after locking himself in on a drug-fuelled bender.

Kirkbride wrote some REAL weird poo poo about Daedra Gods/Tribunal tho

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
In the game it will be possible to use speed, smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, do psychedelic anti-radiation drug Pyrholidone, GABA-max and take magnesium. Those are the drugs I saw mentioned. No idea if cocaine is also available, although there is a mention of its use in history. You can buff yourself up with these mid-conversation (or battle) to change your stats, so playing a drugged up character should be fun to try. A Hippie cop with bellbottom pants and a psychedelic shirt and tie would be fitting. :2bong: :catdrugs:

If you do drugs in game, you become more addicted and you will get quests to procure speed for example and you might not be able to refuse the quest.

All this does not necessarily mean the game was written under the influence of substances, but speculation is most of what we have for the next two weeks. :munch:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
As far as templates go, I haven't tried to stat concretely but I thought of a hero that I'm curious to see complete this game: Inspector Hildibrand Manderville, agent of enquiry from Final Fantasy XIV!

Quick synopsis of the character: a bumbling meddler in the vein of Clouseau, with a sleepy sidekick (who specializes in pyrotechnics) and a sort-of modern Cato in the form of the player character (though it's his family that keeps him in physical peril). He's quite physically fit (though that's mostly to do bodybuilding flexes and endure extreme abuse - he's not really a fighter), a bit self-aware (gets kinda petty when someone upstages him and/or finds out the real causes/culprits while he's concocting wild theories), and kinda sweeps people into absurd situations.

I thought about him while thinking of non-explictly-Lynchian detectives who'd still be a fit for Inland Empire - his ideas and priorities are usually some dreamed-up stories that still somehow get him embroiled in the actual events of a case even when his theories are wrong. So probably fairly high FYS scores across the board (likely barring Electrochemistry - any madness about him isn't chemically induced), a mix of MOT scores (he's klutzy and often unobservant, but he'd probably also qualify for at least some Savoir Faire and Composure), actually some decent PSY with high Volition and Inland Empire, moderate Empathy, and maybe even some Espirit de Corps, and... fairly low INT across the board; his best might be Drama and Conceptualization, but even they wouldn't be THAT high.

I just know he's going to need this in his Thought Cabinet.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 28, 2019

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I wonder if it's going to be banned in Australia then.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

BadAstronaut posted:

I wonder if it's going to be banned in Australia then.

Wtf :australia:? No fun allowed? Is the rpg nerd demographic the source of Australian drug problems? Who knew. I'm sure banning roleplaying games will sober up the nation. :cop:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Australia doesn't let you have real life drugs be beneficial in games. But if you take Zoomex instead of Cocaine for that speed buff then everything is fine for some reason.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Well, the drugs are bad for your health in game, it's not strictly beneficial. Your health can drop and give you a heart attack. There's pros and cons. Pretty sure some of those drugs are fictional too. Speed is a thing though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what's the deal with magnesium? is it illegal to soothe your upset stomach in this game

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what's the deal with magnesium? is it illegal to soothe your upset stomach in this game

Wiki (Magnesium): "Magnesium compounds are used medicinally as common laxatives, antacids (e.g., milk of magnesia), and to stabilize abnormal nerve excitation or blood vessel spasm in such conditions as eclampsia."

So, it seems that self-medicating in the game is something of a balancing act.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you use it to poo poo yourself in combat, got it

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Opoids can cause constipation.

"We can't fight right now", says Endurance, "We really need to take a poo poo."

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I'm kinda curious how you're going to use drugs mid-dialogue. Are you just going to turn around and do a quick bump off your hand before carrying on with the interrogation? Hmm, now I really want to play a guy based off Nic Cage's character from Bad Lieutenant.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Shoot him again, his soul's still dancing.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I try to stick to evidence as much as I can, but here is some gossip from Discord: Some people have gotten review copies and they're praising the game as the best thing ever. :piss: The hype is real. :f5h::f5: Why is my sense of time stretching? :ohdear:

Edit: Nevermind, the devs claim that the review copies are not out yet. If someone has review copies, maybe some shenanigans are in play.

SlightlyMad fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 28, 2019

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, I didn't even know about this a week ago and now I'm unbelievably hyped for this game. I've always wanted something like this and that it has a sorta China Mieville'y weirdness on top of it all is icing on the cake.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

UrbicaMortis posted:

Nic Cage's character from Bad Lieutenant.

Oh man. Everyone was talking about what cop they would base their character on, and I was feeling a little overwhelmed with the choices, couldn't make up my mind. Can't believe the answer was so obvious

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

but then how could you play as Captain Sam Vimes

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

but then how could you play as Captain Sam Vimes

There does seem to be some similarity between the PC and pre-"Guards! Guards!" Vimes.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1177668762197266432

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Dominic is sadly a really poor source.

He was kinda infamous here for praising everything no matter the actual quality

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Dominic is sadly a really poor source.

He was kinda infamous here for praising everything no matter the actual quality

Oh, I didn't know that. Still, the story of loving up and crashing into the old lady's wheelchair is funny. I think they showed it in the trailer briefly.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Whoever that person is, what he is saying is the same sentiment that I've seen from every source that has had access to the early demos.

The devs have stated that review copies will be sent out soon. Which could mean anything between days to weeks of course.

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

UrbicaMortis posted:

Oh, I didn't know that. Still, the story of loving up and crashing into the old lady's wheelchair is funny. I think they showed it in the trailer briefly.

Had it happen in my demo of the game at egx last year, and it was absolutely hilarious

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What if every single critical failure in the game involves crashing into the wheelchair lady?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cool. I didn't know there was a thread for this here.

(Like everyone else) I'm going all in for the Dale Cooper/Sam Vimes crossover detective. Pump INT at chargen then dip into Inland Empire, Espirit de Corps and Shivers*, then use equipment exclusively buffing those skills.

*Shivers is absolutely the Sam Vimes skill. "Feel your city". I bet there are even boots with really thin soles that buff it somewhere.

SelenicMartian posted:

What if every single critical failure in the game involves crashing into the wheelchair lady?

If there's a running joke where she just gets more and more infuriated with you, I'm into it.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

I appreciate the task names in this game so much. Finally, an RPG with true-to-life goals.

Also, noticed that inventory has a category called "Pawnables", something that should really be standard for all games with inventories. Weird to think I've absorbed so much info about this game over the years and have yet to see anything I dislike.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I played the demo and I loving loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

UrbicaMortis posted:

I'm kinda curious how you're going to use drugs mid-dialogue. Are you just going to turn around and do a quick bump off your hand before carrying on with the interrogation?.

Literally this from what I remember from one developer blog pr other