Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

EorayMel posted:

Only about 12 hours to go until it can drop any time after :toot:

I’ve never tried to snag something right on release. Is it worth staying up to see if it drops or is Sony likely to just put it up tomorrow morning? Didn’t see a preload option so I’m guessing the latter?

vvv thank you kindly.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

BurningBeard posted:

I’ve never tried to snag something right on release. Is it worth staying up to see if it drops or is Sony likely to just put it up tomorrow morning? Didn’t see a preload option so I’m guessing the latter?

It's coming out at 10 AM PST, on both PC and PS, as most things that release on Steam do.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Do I get the final cut free update if I'm in Australia?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I guess you will find out soon (I would think yes?)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Man this sucks. I really want to replay this game a third time when the uncut edition drops, but I’m going through a bad breakup with my girlfriend. Packing my poo poo and leaving and it’s devastating and I know that If I play this game it will absolutely bring me to emotional ruin.

That’s a bit long winded and personal, but it takes a helluva powerful bit of writing to be able to do that to me.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Man this sucks. I really want to replay this game a third time when the uncut edition drops, but I’m going through a bad breakup with my girlfriend. Packing my poo poo and leaving and it’s devastating and I know that If I play this game it will absolutely bring me to emotional ruin.

That’s a bit long winded and personal, but it takes a helluva powerful bit of writing to be able to do that to me.
I kinda know what you mean. Some of the stuff is pretty devastating. No harm waiting a bit and going off to play Evil Genius 2 or Cyberpunk 2077 1.2 or something else instead. Do what's right for your head.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

chaosapiant posted:

Take care of yourself first, please. I'm sorry you're going through what you're going through.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

RubricMarine posted:

It's coming out at 10 AM PST, on both PC and PS, as most things that release on Steam do.

Oh nooo, that's not very good in my timezone

I got this game last June but couldn't run it on my crappy pc, and then when I upgraded the pc in december, the news about the final cut came out and I decided to wait these 3 months. Really looking forward to finally playing it

I'm going in completely blind, I only know that the gameplay is mostly conversations, which sounds awesome to me. Is there anything I should know?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Don't save scum, make sure you pay for your room, healing items work while you're dying.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
F1 brings up a quick tooltips UI thing. There's a button (usually Tab) to highlight interactables.

Recovery items just add to a number above your health/morale meter and are used by clicking on the orange or blue plus. Can be done mid-conversation.

EDIT : I think there's some better controls for making yourself jog around now? I forget.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Don't min-max too hard.
The physical stats are just as important as the mental ones.
Your Volition stat determines your mental HP pool, while your Endurance stat determines your physical one. If you set either of those stats to 1, you'll only have 1HP of the corresponding type (which is still viable, but hard). Both bars refill when you sleep each night.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Be careful reading this thread, people have been loose with spoilers the last few weeks.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I might counter with totally min-max, it's amazing. But not better or worse.

Feel free to just go custom spread for your first build, take whatever interests *you*. The default builds aren't notably more or less interesting AFAIK.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Oh! Check out the custom build option when starting is my advice. Not that you have to go with one, the defaults are fine, but click through to the custom option so you can actually examine all the skills and what they relate to and see if any appeal to you more and you can change to that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shivers and inland Empire are great if you like freaky poo poo, but really anything is rewarding of you pump it up

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Is it possible to modify default builds?

Vagabong posted:

Be careful reading this thread, people have been loose with spoilers the last few weeks.

Lol, yeah, thought that might be the case

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

macabresca posted:

Lol, yeah, thought that might be the case

You mean choose something besides the 3 preset builds you’re presented with? If so, yes, you might want to do that as well as the three options they give you are pretty uneven.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Encylopedia is a great first-run skill imo. It provides a bunch of trivia that helps with the world-building.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

macabresca posted:

The "build" is just the four stat numbers and a signature skill. If you make a custom build it's the work of a moment to set it to one of the presets and then you can adjust it how you want.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

embrace failure

itry
Aug 23, 2019

macabresca posted:

I'm going in completely blind, I only know that the gameplay is mostly conversations, which sounds awesome to me. Is there anything I should know?

Mr. Lobe posted:

embrace failure

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Mr. Lobe posted:

embrace failure

will do

Can you save mid-conversation?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mr. Lobe posted:

embrace failure

This is not a joke, failures can advance the story as well (or better than) successes sometimes.

This is really a game where you mostly want to roll with whatever happens.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I'll give you an advice

turn the ceiling fan off

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

macabresca posted:

will do

Can you save mid-conversation?

I don't know and I also don't think you should, if your concern is optimizing outcomes

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Mr. Lobe posted:

I don't know and I also don't think you should, if your concern is optimizing outcomes

I mean in case I need to step away from a computer and want to save just in case the game crushes or something

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Not sure, never tried.

One other thing, don't say something just because it's an option you can select. Some things are better left unsaid. And often you will only get to say one thing from a list of choices.

Lot of early reviewers trashed thr game because they said stupid things and faced stupid consequences because they compulsively tried to exhaust all the content.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

macabresca posted:

I mean in case I need to step away from a computer and want to save just in case the game crushes or something

Many conversations can be backed out of. Not all. I recall auto-saves being further apart than you might like, so if crashing is a worry then make some rotating saves. Time doesn't pass otherwise though.

Also, Time passes by you talking/reading/selecting dialogue options, not by walking. So take your time to soak in the BGM and explore if the mood takes you.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Tylana posted:

Many conversations can be backed out of. Not all. I recall auto-saves being further apart than you might like, so if crashing is a worry then make some rotating saves. Time doesn't pass otherwise though.

It's not really a worry, I'm just a dumbass who always forgets to save, so I'm paranoid sometimes. I remember when playing Planescape: Torment I forgot to save after the conversation with Ravel which took me like an hour to get through and then I had to reload, either because the game crashed or I did something stupid, I don't remember. And I had to go through it aaaaall over again :cripes:

Since then I've been wondering if text heavy games like these shouldn't have the option to save mid-convo, like visual novels

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Think of conversations in DE as taking the role of combat in more traditional RPGs. Not in the sense that every conversation is conflict, but in the sense that it's an encounter and you have to finish it before you can do anything else.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
That makes sense, but combat encounters are generally much shorter

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
The game is pretty good about letting you get out of a conversation and pick up where you were. There's a few bits with much longer monologues, etc. but you'll probably know when they're coming up.

Also, gently caress, ZA/UM tweeted this, but I guess it was extremely limited https://atelier.zaumstudio.com/products/kims-aerostatic-pilot-jacket

I want Kim's bomber jacket so badly.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Using these last few agonising hours before release to think about the character I want to make. If possible, I’d like to go for something that’s a solid blend of the detective and the sensitive sides, where I can see a decent amount of stuff down both paths. Is this feasible, or is it better to focus on just one of these, and come back and try a different build later on?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Don't wear video game clothes please

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

macabresca posted:

That makes sense, but combat encounters are generally much shorter

You can back out of conversations and save or put on different clothing to adjust to the skill checks coming up as a "Wait hold on one sec" sort've thing. Don't savescum, also some skill check failures are actually better than succeeding in certain instances, and not just for funny flavor text!

The custom character builder is greater, look at that over the presets. And there's no hard lockouts other than NOT paying on at least the first 2 days, but that's easily remedied as long as you don't blow TOO much money on wine or ugly shirts early on.

Oh, one more thing: it's not recommended to blindly click through dialogue options to just get through a conversation faster. Some of them lock out other options and actually affect other things. Read carefully and savor.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yup time to finally play this as well, ive gotten as far as leaving the first building before getting side tracked at release. nows a good a time as ever.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vegetable posted:

Don't wear video game clothes please

look I just want a tie that will be my friend

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
i first played the game when it launched and in english, now its time to play it again on spanish. cant wait.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Imhotep posted:

The game is pretty good about letting you get out of a conversation and pick up where you were. There's a few bits with much longer monologues, etc. but you'll probably know when they're coming up.

Also, gently caress, ZA/UM tweeted this, but I guess it was extremely limited https://atelier.zaumstudio.com/products/kims-aerostatic-pilot-jacket

I want Kim's bomber jacket so badly.

Interesting that descriptions of these mention at least two skills—Volta do Mar and Behaviourism—that don't appear in Mr. Du Bois's skill set.

I assume the extended rule set of their roleplay system (can't remember the name for it) has more skills than the 24 that are in the game, and I also assume that you're limited to a certain amount of them when building a character or something. At least that would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Zeta Acosta posted:

i first played the game when it launched and in english, now its time to play it again on spanish. cant wait.

I was super excited for the Spanish translation so I could start hawking the game to friends and family, unfortunately the translation seems to be heavily Spanish-from-Spain, which usually wouldn't be a huge issue, but due to the way DE is written that means there's a lot of spanish slang that would be impenetrable to the casual latin american player.

nurmie posted:

Interesting that descriptions of these mention at least two skills—Volta do Mar and Behaviourism—that don't appear in Mr. Du Bois's skill set.

I assume the extended rule set of their roleplay system (can't remember the name for it) has more skills than the 24 that are in the game, and I also assume that you're limited to a certain amount of them when building a character or something. At least that would be cool.

They mention Volta do Mar in the game, it's what allowed people to actually traverse the Pale without sailing off into oblivion (named after a real-life Portuguese navigation technique, basically do a broad swerve to catch the best winds back to Europe). Since it's listed in red it might be what Kim has instead of Shivers?